Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Chizz said:

If a merger does take place, will we

be Charlwall

Or Milton

Really would be paradise lost

Aren’t Millwall actually Millwall Athletic but just don’t use it ?

On that basis after the Merger they can keep the Athletic part of their name and we’ll make do with keeping the Charlton part of ours.

I think the new amalgamation of names as Charlton Athletic would be fine.

In the spirit of friendly co-operation, I think we should offer to adopt the "...Football Club" part of their name too.
    And make our Tone the clubs Fan Liaison Officer to deal any upset spanners. ;)
  • What needs to happen is realistic expectations, whatever happens after RD will need to be received by the fan base with patience

That will be the most difficult thing for many

If the rumours are right and it’s the Aussie lot then spending our way out of the league will be unlikely

To be honest, I'm entirely comfortable with Charlton being shit. It's kind of the whole point really; general shitness occasionally offset by periods of mild success. Whether we're 7th in the Prem or 13th in League One though I want and need that connection with the club that I don't get from any other. Roland's done his absolute best to sever that connection over the past four years, so if these Aussies come in, sign us the kind of players who shank through balls out of play and gently miss open goals, but make me proud to support the club again I'm all for it
    I am 100% in the same camp but I fear we would be in the 2%
  • cfgs said:

Well hopefully this is the last time I will post this.

Just sell the club and FUCK OFF.

Desperately need some good news after last night so please let the takeover be confirmed soon.

I for one will miss this eloquent prose.
    Seven simple words, perfectly selected and assembled. Unmistakable message with clear instructions. I'm thinking of having it tattooed onto my being.
    Is that a euphemism?
    No space left.
  • stonemuse said:

DA9 said:

Grimsby away years ago and a police horse, something like that.

I was told Brighton away, 7-0 loss early 80’s, major tear up in the park outside the goldstone after the game, OB fell off his horse as it reared up during the melee, almost happened at Horwich station after Bolton FA cup QF game as well
    Brighton away, 70’s
    Yes March 1975. a one all draw in pouring rain on a mud heap of a pitch. My first away game outside of the capital. Micky Kelly's headed equaliser hardly crossed the line, the mud was so thick.
    Me too.
  • I doubt very much ordinary fans are the target of a £50m share issue.

If it is true, and I'm far from convinced it is, then they will be looking for corporate investors IMHO.

Duchatelet isn't a terrible owner because he doesn't spend money or doesn't have money. He has and he does.

He's a bad owner because he has no interest or intention to make the club successful on the pitch and never has. Right from the start he said he wasn't interested in winning games.

We shall have to see what the Aussies, if they actually, finally, do a deal, have planned.

Remember the six questions that people laughed at when the Spivs took over? Still need them answered under the new lot.

WIOTOS

No, what were they?
    1. Who owns the club?

2. What is the business plan?

3. How is the business plan being funded?

4. What are the plans for the Valley?

5. What are the plans for the training ground?

6. What is the exit strategy?
    All valid apart from the last one.
    I seriously doubt you'd get an honest answer and I hope it's not something they've thought of in any great detail.
    The Aussies said on their website that the exit plan was to get the club to The Premier League and sell up.

(Ok is it the same Aussies/plan/plan changed etc etc) ?
  • bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Scoham said:
    Slightly concerning if the new owners don't have 40m to buy him out completely
    Been my concern with the Aussie bid all along that they don’t have the money needed to run the club

I will wait and see what the official line is before getting excited

If someone doesn’t have 40 mil to buy us out lock stock and smoking barrels then there is serious implications on them being able to make us compete in this league let alone any other ambitious plans they may think they can achieve

Just asking if there’s a reason why someone wouldn’t want to pay all the money immediately?

Or is it sale or return?
    If you were buying the club for £50m, would you think a deal to pay £30m and the balance of £20m back at the rate of 10% of youth player sales a good one?
    I’m simply asking the question, which nobody has given any answer too, what benefit if any, would it be to a buyer, not to pay everything upfront?
    The debt carries a 3% rate of interest. If I was a wealthy entrepreneur I would be looking to make nearer 20% on my capital. So if I can use someone else’s capital at a cost of 3% I use my own £40m of capital elsewhere earning 20% leaving me 17% after paying back the loan.
    I don't doubt you, Dipps, but tell me please - if I was a wealthy entrepreneur how would I make 20% on my capital?
    Average profit margin in finance industry is 35%. Hargreaves Landsdown has a profit margin of 70%. I doubt if Peter Jones gets out of bed for less than a prospect of a 30% return on his capital.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018
    Solidgone said:

Q7: What is Andrew Muir’s favourite colour?

As long as it's not blue and red.
  • edited May 2018

bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Scoham said:
    Slightly concerning if the new owners don't have 40m to buy him out completely
    Been my concern with the Aussie bid all along that they don’t have the money needed to run the club

I will wait and see what the official line is before getting excited

If someone doesn’t have 40 mil to buy us out lock stock and smoking barrels then there is serious implications on them being able to make us compete in this league let alone any other ambitious plans they may think they can achieve

Just asking if there’s a reason why someone wouldn’t want to pay all the money immediately?

Or is it sale or return?
    If you were buying the club for £50m, would you think a deal to pay £30m and the balance of £20m back at the rate of 10% of youth player sales a good one?
    I’m simply asking the question, which nobody has given any answer too, what benefit if any, would it be to a buyer, not to pay everything upfront?
    The debt carries a 3% rate of interest. If I was a wealthy entrepreneur I would be looking to make nearer 20% on my capital. So if I can use someone else’s capital at a cost of 3% I use my own £40m of capital elsewhere earning 20% leaving me 17% after paying back the loan.
    I don't doubt you, Dipps, but tell me please - if I was a wealthy entrepreneur how would I make 20% on my capital?
    Average profit margin in finance industry is 35%. Hargreaves Landsdown has a profit margin of 70%. I doubt if Peter Jones gets out of bed for less than a prospect of a 30% return on his capital.
    HL - zero risk. Their clients, like me, take all the risk. But I’m not risk averse having worked in a high risk industry all my working life.

Peter Jones has to factor in failures as well!

But I take your point.

• What needs to happen is realistic expectations, whatever happens after RD will need to be received by the fan base with patience

If the rumours are right and it’s the Aussie lot then spending our way out of the league will be unlikely

To be honest, I'm entirely comfortable with Charlton being shit. It's kind of the whole point really; general shitness occasionally offset by periods of mild success. Whether we're 7th in the Prem or 13th in League One though I want and need that connection with the club that I don't get from any other. Roland's done his absolute best to sever that connection over the past four years, so if these Aussies come in, sign us the kind of players who shank through balls out of play and gently miss open goals, but make me proud to support the club again I'm all for it
    Good way of putting it, fully agreed.

Excellent post!

• Davo55 said:

What needs to happen is realistic expectations, whatever happens after RD will need to be received by the fan base with patience

I am 100% in the same camp but I fear we would be in the 2%
    I reckon it’s a lot, lot more than that tbh
    I want to see good football played by players giving100%, an owner that dreams of success and a passionate crowd.

Championship is a great league and would be happy just giving it a go.
  • I don't mind if any new owner doest want to buy our way out of the league, ideally id like them to have Charlton people around to advise, Charlton men like Bowyer/Jackson managing a team of hard working players willing to give their all for the club and us fans.

As long as the owners are willing to improve the playing squad each season, our league position should also improve each season and eventually we will see promotions.
  • Not that I have much that's constructive to add, but I can give insight on wages under this regime and indeed Sarr's.

I can say for a fact he's not near 8k a week, but he is our highest paid player. In terms of wage structure, that's actually been surprisingly well executed in terms of amounts and how players are paid - which, as Roland is a tight bastard, makes sense. (I think there might be a weird tax thing in place similar as to how we were apparently able to pay Joe Gomez more money, or so the rumour went.)

We do however have one of the largest wage bills in the league. Top earners don't earn more than, I think, about 6k a week (maybe Amos is an exception, but I don't know anything about the loanees).

There's a fair few at the higher end of the bill, though - many of whom should really go imo - so our wage structure is very top heavy.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018

What needs to happen is realistic expectations, whatever happens after RD will need to be received by the fan base with patience

Completely agree with you... Whilst its a kick in the gut I can handle a defeat like the one on Thursday as you could see the lads put in the effort to try and win

What I cant handle is the performances against the likes of Blackpool (A) or Portsmouth (H) etc. where they just go through the motions
    I did 13 aways this season in the Midlands / up North and Blackpool was the nadir :disappointed: .
  • PaddyP17 said:

Not that I have much that's constructive to add, but I can give insight on wages under this regime and indeed Sarr's.

I can say for a fact he's not near 8k a week, but he is our highest paid player. In terms of wage structure, that's actually been surprisingly well executed in terms of amounts and how players are paid - which, as Roland is a tight bastard, makes sense. (I think there might be a weird tax thing in place similar as to how we were apparently able to pay Joe Gomez more money, or so the rumour went.)

We do however have one of the largest wage bills in the league. Top earners don't earn more than, I think, about 6k a week (maybe Amos is an exception, but I don't know anything about the loanees).

There's a fair few at the higher end of the bill, though - many of whom should really go imo - so our wage structure is very top heavy.

Teixeira was on 20k a week I was told.
  • One serious question I am unable to figure out... where within this purchase price is the payback of loans to the former directors? Isn't that something like £9M? Who is paying that? Muir? Roland? Is this why he is perhaps keeping the ground? Any thoughts on this?
  • One serious question I am unable to figure out... where within this purchase price is the payback of loans to the former directors? Isn't that something like £9M? Who is paying that? Muir? Roland? Is this why he is perhaps keeping the ground? Any thoughts on this?

Fairly sure it isn’t being repaid. Rolled over. It’s £7 million

• RedChaser said:

Completely agree with you... Whilst its a kick in the gut I can handle a defeat like the one on Thursday as you could see the lads put in the effort to try and win

What I cant handle is the performances against the likes of Blackpool (A) or Portsmouth (H) etc. where they just go through the motions
    I did 13 aways this season in the Midlands / up North and Blackpool was the nadir :disappointed: .
    Dont blame you.. I remember doing so many away games at the start of the League One winning season and questioned myself why I did it the other day

The answer was easy - You see so many good performances you WANT to keep going and cant wait for the next game... Going to those 13 this season must have started to become soul destroying at times
  • edited May 2018

RedChaser said:

Dont blame you.. I remember doing so many away games at the start of the League One winning season and questioned myself why I did it the other day

The answer was easy - You see so many good performances you WANT to keep going and cant wait for the next game... Going to those 13 this season must have started to become soul destroying at times
    It wasn't too bad, I saw wins at Rotherham, Oldham, Fleetwood, Bradford, Bury, MK, Northampton and draws at Wigan and Doncaster. In fact I felt sorry for those that were just going to home games and I kept saying that the Valley needed to be a fortress on the back of those away successes but sadly it was far from it.

I believe the Directors could have stopped any takeover if they were not paid. If they did indeed roll it over, that tells me they like what they see in Muir.

I believe the Directors could have stopped any takeover if they were not paid. If they did indeed roll it over, that tells me they like what they see in Muir.
    I’m not sure that’s correct. I don’t think the former directors loans need to be paid off and I’m not sure that the former directors could put a halt to a sale. I also think Airman has said that they havn’t even been approached.

• edited May 2018

And as he was saying goodbye to his horse....

You know the rest

What’s the story behind the “Goodbye Horse” song by the way? I always wondered that.
    Apparently it's about a white horse that decided to leave his paddock one day to jaunter down to the local boozer.

Anyway, as he left, all of the other horses in the paddock neighed "goodbye horse".

So, off he trots down to the local (anecdotally 'The Pony and Trap')' opens the door, goes in and takes a seat at the bar. The landlord looks at him and says "Can I help you"? The white horse replies "I'd like a drink but really don't know what I fancy"? "Well", says the landlord, "I've got bitter, lager, mild, cider, vodka, gin. In fact, I've even got a whisky named after you"!

The white horse replies "What? Eric"?

So there you go. The true story of Goodbye Horse.

(Here all week and available for weddings and anniversaries through www.bookmehere.com). :smile:
    bloody hell I feel old, I remember telling that joke when I was a punk and everything was covered in gob and safety pins, didnt get much of a laugh then either. We will e hearing about the wide mouthed frog next.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!