Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• I doubt very much ordinary fans are the target of a £50m share issue.

If it is true, and I'm far from convinced it is, then they will be looking for corporate investors IMHO.

Duchatelet isn't a terrible owner because he doesn't spend money or doesn't have money. He has and he does.

He's a bad owner because he has no interest or intention to make the club successful on the pitch and never has. Right from the start he said he wasn't interested in winning games.

We shall have to see what the Aussies, if they actually, finally, do a deal, have planned.

Remember the six questions that people laughed at when the Spivs took over? Still need them answered under the new lot.

WIOTOS

No, what were they?
    1. Who owns the club?

2. What is the business plan?

3. How is the business plan being funded?

4. What are the plans for the Valley?

5. What are the plans for the training ground?

6. What is the exit strategy?
    All valid apart from the last one.
    I seriously doubt you'd get an honest answer and I hope it's not something they've thought of in any great detail.
    Disagree completely. That they won't give an honest answer should be a reason to worry, not to not ask the question. Imagine we'd known what Duchatelet's aim was from the start?

And they should very much be thinking about how they are going to get out if they are looking for other investors as they would be one of their questions.

The exit strategy could be to sell once we're in the Prem, win the champions league then sell, give it five years then close the club down, hand the club over to the museum, merge with Millwall or something else. The answer would, if answered honestly, a clear idea of what the owners what from the club and then fans can decide.
  • You’ve heard about the merger too then Henry ?

If it is true, and I'm far from convinced it is, then they will be looking for corporate investors IMHO.

Duchatelet isn't a terrible owner because he doesn't spend money or doesn't have money. He has and he does.

He's a bad owner because he has no interest or intention to make the club successful on the pitch and never has. Right from the start he said he wasn't interested in winning games.

We shall have to see what the Aussies, if they actually, finally, do a deal, have planned.

Remember the six questions that people laughed at when the Spivs took over? Still need them answered under the new lot.

WIOTOS

No, what were they?
    1. Who owns the club?

I seriously doubt you'd get an honest answer and I hope it's not something they've thought of in any great detail.
    Disagree completely. That they won't give an honest answer should be a reason to worry, not to not ask the question. Imagine we'd known what Duchatelet's aim was from the start?

And they should very much be thinking about how they are going to get out if they are looking for other investors as they would be one of their questions.

The exit strategy could be to sell once we're in the Prem, win the champions league then sell, give it five years then close the club down, hand the club over to the museum, merge with Millwall or something else. The answer would, if answered honestly, a clear idea of what the owners what from the club and then fans can decide.
    But how would we know if it's an honest answer or not?
    If they do answer they'll just say what the fans want to hear won't they.?
    In the fickle world of football an exit strategy probably changes on a monthly basis. No way you'd get an answer imo.

WIOTOS

No, what were they?
    1. Who owns the club?

You didn't mention the planned move to the Peninsula!

Seriously if I asked my boss what the exit strategy was she would say something like "at this point there isn't one". And that would be the truth.

There are potential scenarios or 'what ifs' but that would not be a strategy.

WIOTOS

No, what were they?
    1. Who owns the club?

But how would we know if it's an honest answer or not?
    If they do answer they'll just say what the fans want to hear won't they.?
    In the fickle world of football an exit strategy probably changes on a monthly basis. No way you'd get an answer imo.
    Won't that apply to the other five questions too? They could lie in response to them too.

Who owned the club under the spivs?

It's a difficult question, I know, but that is why it matters and why it is valid.
  • vffvff
    edited May 2018
    razil said:

Sounds like worst case the spivs mk2 but without the skills of Varney. That may be a bit unfair on them as I doubt they are anything as bad as Jiminez

Maybe the thing to keep in mind is about control of the land. This appeared to be Jimenez plan B after Kevin Cash withdrew his support. The property / land aspect is an important part of Duchatelet football club deals. He may see that as a way to get his money back. It will be interesting to hear what the Aussies have to say about that. Hearing that potentially, the Aussies are still looking to raise investment after being involved so long, I am not finding encouraging.
  • edited May 2018
    bobmunro said:

I doubt very much ordinary fans are the target of a £50m share issue.

WIOTOS

No, what were they?
    1. Who owns the club?

Seriously if I asked my boss what the exit strategy was she would say something like "at this point there isn't one". And that would be the truth.

See question 4

You work for a family business so the strategy would be to hand on a profitable business to the kids would be my guess. But I would think she has an exit strategy ie when she'll retire and make you boss.
  • Scoham said:

What needs to happen is realistic expectations, whatever happens after RD will need to be received by the fan base with patience

That will be the most difficult thing for many

If the rumours are right and it’s the Aussie lot then spending our way out of the league will be unlikely

Not many League 1 clubs that get promoted spend their way out of this league. Powell made a lot signings but not many were for a fee. Those that we did pay a fee for weren’t big money signings.
    High League 1 wages though.

Agree, but it was through being one of the biggest clubs in the division and selling Jenkinson. Not from an owner buying his way out of the league. There were also said to be clubs with bigger budgets than us that season.
  • bobmunro said:

I doubt very much ordinary fans are the target of a £50m share issue.

WIOTOS

No, what were they?
    1. Who owns the club?

See question 4

You work for a family business so the strategy would be to hand on a profitable business to the kids would be my guess. But I would think she has an exit strategy ie when she'll retire and make you boss.
    There is that, of course - but she'd better fecking hurry up as I think I might retire before her (if she'll let me!).
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018

What needs to happen is realistic expectations, whatever happens after RD will need to be received by the fan base with patience

If the rumours are right and it’s the Aussie lot then spending our way out of the league will be unlikely

As it is for every League One team.
  • edited May 2018

Scoham said:

Not many League 1 clubs that get promoted spend their way out of this league. Powell made a lot signings but not many were for a fee. Those that we did pay a fee for weren’t big money signings.

Actually 30% less than Huddersfield that season, who finished 4th.

Again I will remind people about AFCW. Owned by the fans running a £4m budget, and have raised the finance to build their own ground.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a top 3 budget this year because of all the wasted money. I suppose RD will have made sure that we rather than STVV are paying for most of Vetokele. How much is Navy Sarr on? The players whose contracts we have cancelled, there will still be some amortised costs this year from those.

And if I am right you can bet a tinny of XXXX that by now Andrew Muir is well aware of all that.

Naby Sarr, according to Robinson, is on £8k a week. For two more years. He must be the highest paid player at the club now.

I don’t think you can amortise the fees paid for players on cancelled contracts over future years, although deals cancelled in 2017/18 - Teixeira the obvious one - would feature.

Severance payments would be in the relevant year’s operating costs. Fees are separate from that. Very likely we are paying Vetokele.
  • How much are we still paying Igor?
  • Scoham said:

Actually 30% less than Huddersfield that season, who finished 4th.

Huddersfield were on a 27-season long unbeaten run then so most of that wage bill would have been performance-related bonuses.
    Wow, they were unbeaten for 27 seasons, is that in the Guinness Book of records?
  • Q7: What is Andrew Muir’s favourite colour?
  • Solidgone said:

Q7: What is Andrew Muir’s favourite colour?

Gold. No, green. Erm....both?
  • Solidgone said:

Q7: What is Andrew Muir’s favourite colour?

Red
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

I would be inclined to buy a very modest number of shares, but absolutely not if Duchatelet owns any part of the club.
    It would be absurd to oppose him then financially associate with him.

Been there, done that, never again!
  • edited May 2018
    I disagree most fans are only about results. Maybe at other clubs. If there is a plan as Henry suggests in his ‘survey’ questions and a narrative as Airman often talks about, fans will buy in. If it’s done badly agree Fans will have little patience.
  • stonemuse said:

DA9 said:

Grimsby away years ago and a police horse, something like that.

I was told Brighton away, 7-0 loss early 80’s, major tear up in the park outside the goldstone after the game, OB fell off his horse as it reared up during the melee, almost happened at Horwich station after Bolton FA cup QF game as well
    Brighton away, 70’s
    Yes March 1975. a one all draw in pouring rain on a mud heap of a pitch. My first away game outside of the capital. Micky Kelly's headed equaliser hardly crossed the line, the mud was so thick.
  • If you buy shares, are you agreeing our club is worth £80m... where’s napa?

:)
  • As for business plans, get the fans involved, manage the club, achieve break even /competitive in the Championship would be a great aim. Getting to the Premier League is a whole different game, bit have there challenges.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!