Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    True, but I think we can see that a manager is being lined up from what we have been told. A couple of weeks won't be a disaster if it is that long. If it does go on longer, yes, I agree. I am of course assuming the delay is simply EFL fit and proper approval!
  • Options
    Where’s @ozziedave this morning! Was looking forward to see a whole host of new posts
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Nothing new really but Richard Cawley still saying it could go through as early as this week.

Not set time to carry out the fit and proper persons test, it could take “two hours, two days or two months”.

• Options
    Scoham said:

Nothing new really but Richard Cawley still saying it could go through as early as this week.

Not set time to carry out the fit and proper persons test, it could take “two hours, two days or two months”.

I think he's just ripped that off @AFKABartram 's excellent summary on the bite size thread.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

For every club that is, or has been on its arse due to woeful ownership, I find it very hard to believe that the EFL would spend two months scrutinising a potential suitors financial position.
  • Options
    Muir, Murphy, ?, Elliot, ?
  • Options

Scoham said:

For every club that is, or has been on its arse due to woeful ownership, I find it very hard to believe that the EFL would spend two months scrutinising a potential suitors financial position.
    Logically the question should be is the new owner more fit and proper than the previous owner? No work would need to be done as the answer to that is obvious.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    JamesSeed said:

Had a crash on my bike yesterday while training for this prostate cancer ride. A bit of tarpaulin covering a skip flapped in the wind and caught the end of my handle bars, sending over the bars onto the road. I was a bit bruised and had a few scrapes, but still got out today. (Accidentally cycled up Succomb’s Hill, which I don’t recommend.)

This has been a shameless plug for sponsorship, and has nothing to do with the takeover, or the Aussies https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/jimmyduttoncafc

More relevant to the thread though is the fact that tonight I made chicken risotto, but used red onions instead of the more traditional white. Any thoughts?

Scoham said:

I think he's just ripped that off @AFKABartram 's excellent summary on the bite size thread.
    Basically, all comes from my pal. (Although he could be wrong). Actually @Airman Brown was saying it was with the EFL before my contact confirmed it.

Btw, just wanted to thank you lot for not 'speculating' on here who that person could be. Respect to you for not mentioning names at all.
  • Options

Lot of people having a gripe about the EFL, but Given that a number of similar deals have been announced ‘subject to EFL approval’, is there a possibility that it hasn’t even got,to the stage yet?

It is very much in the club and the new people’s interests to get this out there is quick as possible, so if the EFL approval is the ONLY outstanding obstacle, I’m fairly sure this would have been announced.

I've wondered that myself but then it would contradict with what both @Airman Brown and Cawley's sources are saying - that it's with the EFL and we're next in line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Had a crash on my bike yesterday while training for this prostate cancer ride. A bit of tarpaulin covering a skip flapped in the wind and caught the end of my handle bars, sending over the bars onto the road. I was a bit bruised and had a few scrapes, but still got out today. (Accidentally cycled up Succomb’s Hill, which I don’t recommend.)

This has been a shameless plug for sponsorship, and has nothing to do with the takeover, or the Aussies https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/jimmyduttoncafc

More relevant to the thread though is the fact that tonight I made chicken risotto, but used red onions instead of the more traditional white. Any thoughts?

Scoham said:

Basically, all comes from my pal.

Although he could be wrong.
    I'll sponsor your cycle ride for a tenner. How do I it?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

HarryLime said:

JamesSeed said:

Morning folks. I survived the dinner party, although Mrs D wasn't too pleased with my late arrival. She had to delay our guests, but I just about got the food ready thirty minutes later than planned. I was also a bit knackered after cycling 106kms as training for the Prostate Cancer UK ride on first of June.
    So I'm about to sit down and write up my recollections of what was said last night (at the meeting, rather than at the dinner party).

I'm interested in the dinner party menu so if you can include that as well, I'm sick to death of all the pot noodle and pizza chat and want to hear about something a bit more sophisticated.
    No pot noodles on this occasion, although we do like to keep a pot handy for emergencies.

I made sweet potato and chorizo soup the day before (just as well), and the main course featured a Waitrose cheat: Whole boned chicken with a sunblush tomato marinade. Served that with roast potatoes, baby carrots and French beans. Nothing very fancy I'm afraid.
    While I was speaking with someone who's cousin met someone connected to the consortium, my wife was busy making raspberry fool and a very nice blueberry cheesecake type thing. Luckily enough some friends found five bottles of Pol Roget in their basement while having a clearout.
    During the dinner I got into trouble when I was caught looking at my phone.
    I've worked hard today to make up for being late. I've now been allowed out of the doghouse.

We've got some raspberry fool left if anyone wants to try some?
    Thanks for all the information James.
    The most urgent matter that arises out of all this though is how do I get hold of a serving of the raspberry fool?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Please hurry up
  • Options
    Given the complexity of a consortium and the requirement to determine who the owner is etc personally not expecting this to fly through
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Lot of people having a gripe about the EFL, but Given that a number of similar deals have been announced ‘subject to EFL approval’, is there a possibility that it hasn’t even got,to the stage yet?

It is very much in the club and the new people’s interests to get this out there is quick as possible, so if the EFL approval is the ONLY outstanding obstacle, I’m fairly sure this would have been announced.

The Australians said it’s with the EFL, so no, not really.

It’s hard to be patient after all this time, but the Aussies are managing it.

I know they’re speaking to prospective managers, so hopefully they’ll be able to announce the takeover and the name of the manager, new or otherwise, at the same time.
    Hopefully on Thursday or Friday, but who knows.
    We may then get an early indication then if we see Southend announcing That Chris Powell has left them over the next few days.
  • Options
    Mal said:

JamesSeed said:

I know they’re speaking to prospective managers, so hopefully they’ll be able to announce the takeover and the name of the manager, new or otherwise, at the same time.
    We may then get an early indication then if we see Southend announcing That Chris Powell has left them over the next few days.
    I'd be very surprised / happy if that happens. I honestly think he'll see the job through at Southend.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Accidentally? How on earth would you cycle up there accidentally? As soon as you turn the first bend at the bottom of the hill and look up and see not only the steep gradient but how narrow it is too!
  • Options
    Mal said:

JamesSeed said:

James reported that the Australians had approached SCP's people to discuss his availability. Without seeking permission from Southend's Chairman that would be considered tapping up - not the best example of operational integrity whilst awaiting a fit and proper assessment!! There has been no mention in the media, anywhere, that Southend have given permission for SCP to talk to Charlton.

I view the SCP link as a non-starter.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

HarryLime said:

JamesSeed said:

Morning folks. I survived the dinner party, although Mrs D wasn't too pleased with my late arrival. She had to delay our guests, but I just about got the food ready thirty minutes later than planned. I was also a bit knackered after cycling 106kms as training for the Prostate Cancer UK ride on first of June.
    So I'm about to sit down and write up my recollections of what was said last night (at the meeting, rather than at the dinner party).

I'm interested in the dinner party menu so if you can include that as well, I'm sick to death of all the pot noodle and pizza chat and want to hear about something a bit more sophisticated.
    No pot noodles on this occasion, although we do like to keep a pot handy for emergencies.

I made sweet potato and chorizo soup the day before (just as well), and the main course featured a Waitrose cheat: Whole boned chicken with a sunblush tomato marinade. Served that with roast potatoes, baby carrots and French beans. Nothing very fancy I'm afraid.
    While I was speaking with someone who's cousin met someone connected to the consortium, my wife was busy making raspberry fool and a very nice blueberry cheesecake type thing. Luckily enough some friends found five bottles of Pol Roget in their basement while having a clearout.
    During the dinner I got into trouble when I was caught looking at my phone.
    I've worked hard today to make up for being late. I've now been allowed out of the doghouse.

We've got some raspberry fool left if anyone wants to try some?
    Thanks for all the information James.
    The most urgent matter that arises out of all this though is how do I get hold of a serving of the raspberry fool?
    There is some left. If you were a BBC Addick (Battersea, Balham, Clapham) you'd be close enough to take advantage. Just saying.
    I'm having lunch with a CLer today, and he hasn't even mentioned it. Not doubt he'll slip it into the conversation when we're paying the bill. Should I take some with me maybe? Worried about it going off in the heat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

Basically, all comes from my pal.

Although he could be wrong.
    I'll sponsor your cycle ride for a tenner. How do I it?
    That's very kind. I've passed the total that I need in order to take part in the ride, but £1k is the target. Team Charlton has about thirty riders including Carl Leaburn and Scott Minto. It's a darned good cause. @LouisMend has been far better at fundraising me though.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/jimmyduttoncafc
  • Options

Mal said:

JamesSeed said:

I'd be very surprised / happy if that happens. I honestly think he'll see the job through at Southend.
    I would guess a lot depends on how much Powell feels the pull of a club he loves, he may think, and quite rightly, that he has unfinished work to do with us, there is a lot going for him to consider returning, love of the fans, a reasonable transfer kitty etc. I am not to sure he would - or could turn us down if approached.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Mal said:

JamesSeed said:

James reported that the Australians had approached SCP's people to discuss his availability. Without seeking permission from Southend's Chairman that would be considered tapping up - not the best example of operational integrity whilst awaiting a fit and proper assessment!! There has been no mention in the media, anywhere, that Southend have given permission for SCP to talk to Charlton.

One cannot be 100% sure of course, but I think you’re right on this one.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Mal said:

JamesSeed said:

I agree it's unlikely though we don't know. It is possible that they have been given permission but suits all parties to maintain confidentiality, besides until the takeover happens the Aussies don't yet have a job to offer him.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Accidentally? How on earth would you cycle up there accidentally? As soon as you turn the first bend at the bottom of the hill and look up and see not only the steep gradient but how narrow it is too!
    I've only ever got off and pushed the bike once. Humiliation! It's a cycling thing that @Leroy Ambrose would understand.

I'm probably soon getting to the age where I'll have to make a detour.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    bobmunro said:

Mal said:

JamesSeed said:

That presupposes that they haven't also approached Southend. And I believe tapping up is when owners of a club approach the manager of another club. They weren't owners of a club.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

I've only ever got off and pushed the bike once. Humiliation! It's a cycling thing that @Leroy Ambrose would understand.

I'm probably soon getting to the age where I'll have to make a detour.
    Stabilsers first, then detours
  • Options
    I've mentioned before that they seem very relaxed about the time pressure issue. I know we're desperate to get stuck into the transfer window, but after spending £1m on an up-to-now two year project, they just want to get the deal over the line, and take it from there. As there's been nothing they could have done to to speed up that process, what alternative did they have, other than to pull out?

When JS took over at Charlton there was a year of consolidation, changing a few things behind the scenes at the club, improving the fitness of the team, bringing in a few of the right sort of players, and we finished 5th (I think?) first season.

I maybe would expect something similar in our situation, and then if we do get promoted, I'll see that as a bonus. As he said, 'we're in this for the long haul'.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Mal said:

JamesSeed said:

The belief there is that they spoke to Powell's representatives before he was appointed at Southend.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Mal said:

JamesSeed said:

The belief there is that they spoke to Powell's representatives before he was appointed at Southend.
    If that's the case, then he might possibly have a get out clause built in to his contract?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!