Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    If only that takeover had taken place our recent history could have been so so different
    Or AEG had the asking price not changed at the eleventh hour.
    When was that?
  • 2005 I believe? Airman will be able to provide more info than me.
  • Scoham said:
    If only that takeover had taken place our recent history could have been so so different
    AEG ? Hadn't heard of that one

• RD's triumph was that he saved us from the previous owners. His tragedy was that he failed to save us from himself.

That is the perfect summarisation of RDs reign.
  • Scoham said:
    I believe there were a lot of people at the time worried that they'd move us to the peninsula given they also own the O2.
  • I can only echo what Henry said.

Yes there has been an improvement between relations this season, based on two things mainly, Meire hasn't come out and pissed anyone off and the results on the pitch coupled with some attractive football.

But you cannot defend RD/KM and say because little has been said they are doing a good job. Yes letting Robinson do the talking (boy does he like doing it) is the best thing for the club, but that's not a long term option. It's a short term one to appease the fans but she shouldn't have to do it. She is doing it because she makes mistake after mistake when communicating and it's in the best interests of everyone that she stays schtum. But that just highlights her own misgivings, we cannot have a CEO who cannot speak to the fans in case she upsets anyone.

She needs to go, arguably more than RD. He has financed the club and saved us from going bankrupt. Corner turned into terms of managerial appointments and we lost nobody of any real note in the summer. I would have accepted having him for a little longer if he had replaced Meire. Not saying I like the bloke, but all in all, I feel Meire has done a lot more damage to this club than him.

• RD's triumph was that he saved us from the previous owners. His tragedy was that he failed to save us from himself.

Absolutely. Brilliantly put in two short sentences. Hats off to you sir.

Yes there has been an improvement between relations this season, based on two things mainly, Meire hasn't come out and pissed anyone off and the results on the pitch coupled with some attractive football.

But you cannot defend RD/KM and say because little has been said they are doing a good job. Yes letting Robinson do the talking (boy does he like doing it) is the best thing for the club, but that's not a long term option. It's a short term one to appease the fans but she shouldn't have to do it. She is doing it because she makes mistake after mistake when communicating and it's in the best interests of everyone that she stays schtum. But that just highlights her own misgivings, we cannot have a CEO who cannot speak to the fans in case she upsets anyone.

She needs to go, arguably more than RD. He has financed the club and saved us from going bankrupt. Corner turned into terms of managerial appointments and we lost nobody of any real note in the summer. I would have accepted having him for a little longer if he had replaced Meire. Not saying I like the bloke, but all in all, I feel Meire has done a lot more damage to this club than him.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but the argument you make assumes KM has been acting without direction from RD, or that he doesn't know what's been going on. Not sure that's the case, and in terms of the latter it is clear that CARD and the Belgium campaign both informed him and got under his skin.
  • Sponsored links:

A CEO doesn't need to be the primary mouthpiece of the club, but most CEOs would be free and able to offer words publicly when appropriate. That by her own admission she's been sat on is a damning indictment.

As for RD, I'd go along with the view to a point had he genuinely been at arm's length. But he hasnt been, has he.
  • edited October 2017

Swisdom said:

buckshee said:

Another thought from me....

I always look for the Parkes and KM in the away area of the Directors' Box at games and usually they're quite easily spotted .

However, although there were few opportunities to seek them out during Saturday's end to end stuff, I couldn't see them.

Unless anyone else picked them out, I'm wondering whether our CEO's interest in our club is on the wane due to her impending divorce from CAFC.

Daisy seems to have been very quiet in general this calendar year.
    Conscious decision. Fans didn't want to hear from her so she shut up and let Karl do the talking.
    Did she really tell you that?

Come on Steve, you know that's not the case and even if it was it's an embarrassing admission of her own failure.

She was told to shut up by the PR firm after a series of PR disasters every time she opened her mouth in public.

So unreliable had she become she didn't even speak on the record about the sacking of Slade or the appointment of Robinson.

She is the CEO of a public facing organisation, part of her role is speaking to the "customers" via the media on the record.

She has constantly been willing to do so but only off the record because she, and the many expensive PR advisers she has hired, know she just isn't able to open her mouth without putting her foot in it. Expensive lunches with top jounalists were arranged for a off the record chats but most didn't fall for it.

You are right that she hides behind Robinson who has said publicly that part of his role is to do the talking for her. He's meant to manage the team and the CEO should be taking those burdens away from him.
    I can't remember the exact conversation but she alluded to the fact that everything she said was dissected and twisted so it's maybe better not to say anything at all. Karl is able to speak eloquently (perhaps a little too much for some people) and so she lets him do it. I dare say the PR guys have told her to keep schtum.

Some will say this is self preservation, some will say it is not becoming of a ceo, some will say its ineptitude. I couldn’t give two shits really - all I’m saying is the perception she is keeping under the radar is correct. Whose idea it was doesn’t really matter. Roland isn’t going to sack her anytime so if and when the sale goes through she’ll be off to a new role somewhere. If he stays she stays so whether she’s vocal or not isn’t relevant

And I’m not saying I agree - just that’s how it is
  • bobmunro said:

I can only echo what Henry said.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but the argument you make assumes KM has been acting without direction from RD, or that he doesn't know what's been going on. Not sure that's the case, and in terms of the latter it is clear that CARD and the Belgium campaign both informed him and got under his skin.
    I agree with that. Not saying RD is innocent, but I think he would have been a lot more bearable under a good CEO. I think this is especially the case over the last 18 months or so, the appointments of Slade and Robinson did show a change of direction rather than his mates. We sold Lookman but that had to happen, I have no complaints about the sale.

Left perhaps slightly short in the summer but Robinson was clearly allowed to sign his own players and build a competitive squad.

RD has told lies, he doesn't seem to care but he has financed the club and kept us afloat. Even if these losses are reflected in the price of the club, he will have to lower his valuation at some point if a sale doesn't go through.

In my opinion, KM has been a much bigger disaster for the club than RD, especially relations between the fans and the club.
  • Wonderful post Grapevine.......I would love to meet you and shake your hand.

bobmunro said:

I agree with that. Not saying RD is innocent, but I think he would have been a lot more bearable under a good CEO. I think this is especially the case over the last 18 months or so, the appointments of Slade and Robinson did show a change of direction rather than his mates. We sold Lookman but that had to happen, I have no complaints about the sale.

Left perhaps slightly short in the summer but Robinson was clearly allowed to sign his own players and build a competitive squad.

RD has told lies, he doesn't seem to care but he has financed the club and kept us afloat. Even if these losses are reflected in the price of the club, he will have to lower his valuation at some point if a sale doesn't go through.

In my opinion, KM has been a much bigger disaster for the club than RD, especially relations between the fans and the club.

In hindsight, would Roland ever have appointed a competent CEO? He says he delegates the running of the club to Daisy but when there is a serious decision to be made that involves his money, she is over-ruled or the decision taken away from her. A compliant, beholden individual who is essentially useless is just what he needs running his little hobby. I can't imagine he would put up with anybody questioning his genius on a regular basis. Daisy just keeps on turning up at 1030 to do her internet shopping before going home early, no questions asked.
  • Missed It said:

bobmunro said:

In hindsight, would Roland ever have appointed a competent CEO? He says he delegates the running of the club to Daisy but when there is a serious decision to be made that involves his money, she is over-ruled or the decision taken away from her. A compliant, beholden individual who is essentially useless is just what he needs running his little hobby. I can't imagine he would put up with anybody questioning his genius on a regular basis. Daisy just keeps on turning up at 1030 to do her internet shopping before going home early, no questions asked.
    A fair point and of course it was RD's appointment of Meire in the first place. So when I say I could handle RD with a better CEO, I do of course realise that it was him who appointed Meire in the first place.

With regards to decisions being made, I would be more alarmed if the owner wasn't involved. Would you happily let someone else make all the decisions with your money. Yes a good CEO should be trusted enough but I would still want a certain say with regards to million pound decisions.

People entitled to their view, but my opinion is that if news broke that the sale had fallen through but Meire was leaving, I would prefer that to the sale going through but Meire staying. I realise neither should happen, and would much prefer both to leave.
  • rikofold said:

A CEO doesn't need to be the primary mouthpiece of the club, but most CEOs would be free and able to offer words publicly when appropriate. That by her own admission she's been sat on is a damning indictment.

As for RD, I'd go along with the view to a point had he genuinely been at arm's length. But he hasnt been, has he.
    no not the primary mouthpiece, but helps if she can be seen and heard without causing issue, which she clearly can't. Her position is untenable because of her incompetence.

Rolands reign will only ever be seen as a negative one, and rightly so, but he could have made things a lot better for himself and got rid of Meire a long time ago. I guess the fact he didn't shows he doesn't care.
  • Sponsored links:

• In my opinion, KM has been very naive, never being in the position she finds herself as CEO of a LARGE football club, she just says what RD has said to her. She tells everyone in public as if it is her opinion, thinking that is what RD thinks, so it must be OK. When people say it is just her for the things she has says, I think they are wrong, this is why she was put in this position, RD has made it quite clear, he likes young people, with no experience that will do what he says, no arguing, and probably, no real ideas of their own. He lets them give out a few ideas and runs with them to keep them happy, but nothing serious. Do not think for one minute, RD did not know or agree with every statement KM has made.
  • Pedro45 said:

Missed It said:

bobmunro said:

A fair point and of course it was RD's appointment of Meire in the first place. So when I say I could handle RD with a better CEO, I do of course realise that it was him who appointed Meire in the first place.

With regards to decisions being made, I would be more alarmed if the owner wasn't involved. Would you happily let someone else make all the decisions with your money. Yes a good CEO should be trusted enough but I would still want a certain say with regards to million pound decisions.

People entitled to their view, but my opinion is that if news broke that the sale had fallen through but Meire was leaving, I would prefer that to the sale going through but Meire staying. I realise neither should happen, and would much prefer both to leave.
    Let's get this clear - if a sale goes through, Meire will not be staying! As soon as the pen hits the paper she is out the door. It may well take longer for Cajones to follow, as he is an employee and cannot be sacked just like that. However, in time, if he is as poor in his role as we seem to think, then I'm sure that he will go the only way he can.

Murray may well hang around the boardroom like a bad smell too, but as long as he has no hands on role, I don't have a problem with that. He did do some fantastic work for our club in the past (that we should never forget) and he deserves a seat in the directors box for as long as he wants it IMO.
    Yes I am perfectly aware of that, just stating I would prefer RD with a new CEO than Meire with new ownership. Using it to reinforce my opinion that I detest Meire more than Roland.

I would agree with what you said about Murray, although my opinion on him has gone rapidly downhill. Don't mind him being in the directors box, it's certainly not a major issue.
  • rikofold said:

no not the primary mouthpiece, but helps if she can be seen and heard without causing issue, which she clearly can't. Her position is untenable because of her incompetence.

Rolands reign will only ever be seen as a negative one, and rightly so, but he could have made things a lot better for himself and got rid of Meire a long time ago. I guess the fact he didn't shows he doesn't care.
    You must remember that her family and Duchatalet are old friends.....exactly how and why I have no idea.
    From that, we can only surmise that the old pals act has been hugely in evidence from start to finish and that her appointment was quite possibly more about some kind of a favour being paid or kindness returned....who knows, but for me there always was and always will be a mystery around the whole saga. Does she to this day, even understand the offside law?
    Was the purchasing of the cloob as much (or possibly more) about her running it as about the real desire to own it and run it himself, and if so.......why?
    This! I will always maintain that this was her gig right from the start, nothing else makes sense. And it's why I worry that Kat and Roly aren't ready to leave Dodge just yet.
  • Scoham said:
    Yeah was in VOTV a few months back, AEG were about to buy us, but at the eleventh hour they got gazumped and walked away.
  • Scoham said:
    Yeah was in VOTV a few months back, AEG were about to buy us, but at the eleventh hour they got gazumped and walked away.
    My understanding was it was a deal being done by Michael Grade, and Philip Anschutz bailed on it at the last minute for no other reason then he changed his mind
  • Rothko said:

Scoham said:
    My understanding was it was a deal being done by Michael Grade, and Philip Anschutz bailed on it at the last minute for no other reason then he changed his mind
    The reason was that the asking price was suddenly doubled.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!