Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Player

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

seth plum said:

Oakster said:

unsubscribed after CP was sacked, wont be back until the Belgians have gone - not getting a penny of my money

Current player - money goes to the Football league

New player - Money goes to club. I wont be subscribing until they leave and I'll be getting a season ticket then anyway so hardly worth it....
    When we were forced to listen to Jamie Hill, and Emma, and around about that time, it was repeatedly mentioned that 'our' commentators were effectively volunteers, and they got little or no help with travel or equipment or whatever.
    I am assuming that the Charlton commentary team will be fully equipped with state of the art kit, that two commentators will be paid a match fee of £250 each, and hotel accommodation if necessary and full travel expenses will be paid.
    The reason I say this is that if the service that people pay for is below par, then the subscriber has every right to criticise it without feeling that they are digging out poor put upon voluntary workers.
    For example, a couple of games last year, the servers didn't even realise we had a match!
    Don't worry, some of the players last year didn't realise we had a match either and they were kitted up chasing a round ball of leather at the time :wink:
    I laughed so hard I woke the dog up.

@StubleyAddick I echo what is said above, I really, really enjoy what you and Terry do. This is going to sound cheesy, but this forum and your weekly commentary are what make me still feel so connected to the club despite being so far away.
  • Options
    Whatever replaces it, I hope @StubleyAddick and Terry Smith continue to provide commentary, however whereas my money currently goes to EFL Digital, I'm guessing it will now go to RD and co, that'll leave me with a decision to make come the new season. With my new job having curtailed my match threads, perhaps I'll just follow them. This close season will see if there has been a change in 'direction' sadly I don't think there will be, or a change in ownership, its not a decision I can make now, but listening to the 'live' commentary may have to take a break.
  • Options
    If circumstances align in an unfavourable way the match threads may disappear.
    One regret from my point of view will be losing the opposition commentary, which at the very least is useful when our technology goes wrong, but also provides an alternative view on the match threads and (sorry guys) sometimes provides superior coverage to our own.
    A match thread only consisting of cafcofficial written updates would be a reduced service on Charlton Life sadly.
    I hope to be pleasantly surprised but I hope for continual commentary, and access to opposition commentary.
    I believe it is closer to £50 a year right now not £25.
    So a new service should offer the same at the very least, that is commentary from every match with a choice of home and away commentary, clips from U23's, U18's matches, and for no more than £50 per year.
    Apart from the commentary the clubs free YouTube clip service is sometimes better and provides free content that isn't available on the paid for platform.
    As I said I hope to be pleasantly surprised by the new service but I have no confidence that I will be.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    seth plum said:

One regret from my point of view will be losing the opposition commentary, which at the very least is useful when our technology goes wrong, but also provides an alternative view on the match threads and (sorry guys) sometimes provides superior coverage to our own.
    A match thread only consisting of cafcofficial written updates would be a reduced service on Charlton Life sadly.
    I hope to be pleasantly surprised but I hope for continual commentary, and access to opposition commentary.
    So a new service should offer the same at the very least, that is commentary from every match with a choice of home and away commentary, clips from U23's, U18's matches, and for no more than £50 per year.
    Apart from the commentary the clubs free YouTube clip service is sometimes better and provides free content that isn't available on the paid for platform.
    As I said I hope to be pleasantly surprised by the new service but I have no confidence that I will be.

I'd say there's next to no chance that we'll be able to listen to opposition commentary.

Most other clubs are subscribed to the Player service and if our service included access to that it would make moving away from it pointless from a financial pov as I'd imagine the club would have to pay a significant amount to retain access.

The only other option would be to sign up to player through a different club if you want to retain access.
  • Options
    I have been very pleased with the standard of the commentaries this season.....long may it continue.
  • Options

seth plum said:

I'd say there's next to no chance that we'll be able to listen to opposition commentary.

Most other clubs are subscribed to the Player service and if our service included access to that it would make moving away from it pointless from a financial pov as I'd imagine the club would have to pay a significant amount to retain access.

The only other option would be to sign up to player through a different club if you want to retain access.
    I take your point. Therefore I hope we don't get a reduced service for more money.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Rob7Lee said:

seth plum said:

Oakster said:

unsubscribed after CP was sacked, wont be back until the Belgians have gone - not getting a penny of my money

New player - Money goes to club. I wont be subscribing until they leave and I'll be getting a season ticket then anyway so hardly worth it....
    When we were forced to listen to Jamie Hill, and Emma, and around about that time, it was repeatedly mentioned that 'our' commentators were effectively volunteers, and they got little or no help with travel or equipment or whatever.
    I am assuming that the Charlton commentary team will be fully equipped with state of the art kit, that two commentators will be paid a match fee of £250 each, and hotel accommodation if necessary and full travel expenses will be paid.
    The reason I say this is that if the service that people pay for is below par, then the subscriber has every right to criticise it without feeling that they are digging out poor put upon voluntary workers.
    For example, a couple of games last year, the servers didn't even realise we had a match!
    Don't worry, some of the players last year didn't realise we had a match either and they were kitted up chasing a round ball of leather at the time :wink:
    I laughed so hard I woke the dog up.

@StubleyAddick I echo what is said above, I really, really enjoy what you and Terry do. This is going to sound cheesy, but this forum and your weekly commentary are what make me still feel so connected to the club despite being so far away.
    Thanks, mate. Always value your input, it helps us!
  • Options
    OK you mathematical geniuses. This is what Charlton Athletic is doing introducing it's new super duper service.

The old service ends on 9th July.
    I took out a years worth as you can see below on 19th November last year.
    The cost, as you can see was £24.49.
    They (and I take it to mean the club, because it is the club initiating the new system) said that there would be, get this, a pro rata refund.

I will miss 133 days of my yearly spend.

So unless I am wrong the maths says something like (in pennies)

x133

Which equals very nearly £8.92

This is what they sent to me

'SUMMARY: Subscription Purchase: Charlton F.C PlayerHD-Annual subscription - Charlton F.C- Season Pass GBP 24.49

Original Order Date: 19/11/2016

Refund value: GBP 1.01'

My refund is one pound and one penny.

My calculation is that it ought to be about eight and a half times more than that.
    As far as I am concerned because of the decision taken by Charlton Athletic FC that Charlton Athletic FC have quite deliberately nicked £7.91 off me.
    I am not interested in technicalities of terms, the disconnect in figures is firmly at the door of Charlton Athletic FC.
    In the (very unlikely) event of 1000 subscribers in the same position as me, on the face of it it looks as though Charlton Athletic FC might have fiddled nearly £8000 off loyal supporters.

Pro rata?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Oakster said:

I reckon the Comms team will be looking at the bottom of drawers again, seeing if they can find any old toot to flog on ebay.
  • Options
    EFL clubs that have opted in to the new service (not us) will be able to stream all of their matches from next season.

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-live-streaming-platform-ifollow-unveiled-for-global-fans-3703898.aspx

Quite a price hike, gone right up to £110, but for a lot that'll be worth it.

It's a shame we're not in this really. I imagine we will offer similar but as only people overseas can get the streaming it's of no use to us here. Whereas I'm positive someone will be streaming all of the clubs that take part in the EFL package whether thats Sportsmania on Kodi or whatever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

EFL clubs that have opted in to the new service (not us) will be able to stream all of their matches from next season.

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-live-streaming-platform-ifollow-unveiled-for-global-fans-3703898.aspx

It's a shame we're not in this really. I imagine we will offer similar but as only people overseas can get the streaming it's of no use to us here. Whereas I'm positive someone will be streaming all of the clubs that take part in the EFL package whether thats Sportsmania on Kodi or whatever.

That is one hell of a price hike! I think I paid about 40 quid for CAFCPlayer this season.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

That is one hell of a price hike! I think I paid about 40 quid for CAFCPlayer this season.
    Would imagine it's cheaper for those that just want the commentary but yeah, still a lot.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

But that was just for commentary. For £110 you get live games streamed. You can be like Duchatelet and watch games from the comfort of your home in Prague, or Kumming or the Algarve.

Just as well there is no way to get around blocks on foreign streams in the UK or we'd all be watching games that way.
  • Options
    Not a lot of money stonemuse to see every game live, plus commentary.
    I wonder if it's an option to have the live games at £105 or can you still pay less and just have the current service?
    Not that it makes any difference to us Addicks of course.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

OK you mathematical geniuses. This is what Charlton Athletic is doing introducing it's new super duper service.

They (and I take it to mean the club, because it is the club initiating the new system) said that there would be, get this, a pro rata refund.

x133

'SUMMARY: Subscription Purchase: Charlton F.C PlayerHD-Annual subscription - Charlton F.C- Season Pass GBP 24.49

My calculation is that it ought to be about eight and a half times more than that.
    As far as I am concerned because of the decision taken by Charlton Athletic FC that Charlton Athletic FC have quite deliberately nicked £7.91 off me.
    I am not interested in technicalities of terms, the disconnect in figures is firmly at the door of Charlton Athletic FC.
    In the (very unlikely) event of 1000 subscribers in the same position as me, on the face of it it looks as though Charlton Athletic FC might have fiddled nearly £8000 off loyal supporters.

Pro rata?

It does seem low but you also seem to have signed up late in the season so maybe you paid a pro rata amount for the remainder of the year rather than the full 12 month rate which Stonemuse said was around £40.
  • Options

Not a lot of money stonemuse to see every game live, plus commentary.
    I wonder if it's an option to have the live games at £105 or can you still pay less and just have the current service?
    Not that it makes any difference to us Addicks of course.

Hadn't realised it included that. Should have checked the link.
  • Options

seth plum said:

x133

Pro rata?

It does seem low but you also seem to have signed up late in the season so maybe you paid a pro rata amount for the remainder of the year rather than the full 12 month rate which Stonemuse said was around £40.
    No, it was an annual automatic renewal.
    When Charlton Athletic checked the details with the player service they ought to have covered the pro rata angle properly.
    I have done nothing except sustain a subscription for quite a number of years which outside forces have decided to change,
    I don't understand why they haven't worked out the pro rata as I have, if they had written to me saying the refund was 8 quid or so then fair enough, but one pound and one penny is based on, well based on what? i can't work out how they got to that number and I am expecting Olly Groome or whoever to read this thread and clear the matter up.
    It is a trivial amount of money to make a fuss about isn't it?...So the blimmin club can pay up instead of ripping me and maybe others off.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

x133

Pro rata?

No, it was an annual automatic renewal.
    When Charlton Athletic checked the details with the player service they ought to have covered the pro rata angle properly.
    I have done nothing except sustain a subscription for quite a number of years which outside forces have decided to change,
    I don't understand why they haven't worked out the pro rata as I have, if they had written to me saying the refund was 8 quid or so then fair enough, but one pound and one penny is based on, well based on what? i can't work out how they got to that number and I am expecting Olly Groome or whoever to read this thread and clear the matter up.
    It is a trivial amount of money to make a fuss about isn't it?...So the blimmin club can pay up instead of ripping me and maybe others off.
    You got yours cheap as mine is/was £42.99.

I am receiving a prorata refund for the two months that I miss after expiry and the amount has been calculated correctly.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

But that was just for commentary. For £110 you get live games streamed. You can be like Duchatelet and watch games from the comfort of your home in Prague, or Kumming or the Algarve.

Just as well there is no way to get around blocks on foreign streams in the UK or we'd all be watching games that way.
    So we get @PragueAddick to sign up, we all just hop on a cheap flight to prague and watch the game, home via Belgium. Jobs a good un :smiley:
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

stonemuse said:

So we get @PragueAddick to sign up, we all just hop on a cheap flight to prague and watch the game, home via Belgium. Jobs a good un :smiley:
    There's only one problem. This regime has so destroyed my appetite that I gave up on Player completely, and have not missed it.

Of course if we get shot of them, and assuming we don't get the next Cellino or whatever, you're all welcome.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd have paid £110 to get the games live streamed... can always use a VPN to make your computer think you're out the country and so acess the stream.

Massive shame.

Although irrelevant once they've gone as I'll be getting a season ticket.
  • Options
    The new Valley Pass will be replacing CAFC PlayerHD and will provide more content for fans as well as a huge club video archive. All the usual content will remain which includes the matchday commentary.

Price and details will be announced soon. Although we are leaving the centralised digital website deal, we are still bound by the EFL's broadcast license which will control the minimum price and holdback times for certain material. Once finalised I'm sure there will be an announcement.

In terms of refunds, this is being handled by the EFL so there should be a contact email on any communication received should you believe you have been mis-refunded. Otherwise drop us an email and we can forward it on.
  • Options

I'd have paid £110 to get the games live streamed... can always use a VPN to make your computer think you're out the country and so acess the stream.

Massive shame.

Although irrelevant once they've gone as I'll be getting a season ticket.

How can you get the games live when we are no longer in the loop so to speak?
  • Options
    I'm in Sheffield I'm sure that counts as another country don't it
  • Options
    edited May 2017

The new Valley Pass will be replacing CAFC PlayerHD and will provide more content for fans as well as a huge club video archive. All the usual content will remain which includes the matchday commentary.

Price and details will be announced soon. Although we are leaving the centralised digital website deal, we are still bound by the EFL's broadcast license which will control the minimum price and holdback times for certain material. Once finalised I'm sure there will be an announcement.

In terms of refunds, this is being handled by the EFL so there should be a contact email on any communication received should you believe you have been mis-refunded. Otherwise drop us an email and we can forward it on.

Should I believe I have been mis-refunded? See my post above.
    Perhaps you would like to ask your contacts at EFL why they believe I have been properly refunded.
    £1.01 when it should have been £8.92

This was the contact detail offered:

"EFL" NOREPLY@mppglobal.com

EFL No reply.

• Options
    Yes, i saw the noreply address, very helpful EFL!! They're trying to refund me £1.50 when I reckon they owe me £12.
  • Options
    I wondered why my HD Player subscription hadn't renewed last month. I've now sent three separate emails to the club asking what's happening to HD Player and no response yet .... breaking their 10 working day commitment on a written response. Well, I can now add not listening to games online to not attending games in person having not renewed my season ticket last year. Great comms guys (no reflection on Olly).
  • Options
    Hi SIV,

We have completed the refund for the following items:

SUMMARY: Subscription Purchase: Charlton F.C PlayerHD-Annual subscription - Charlton F.C- Season Pass GBP 23.99

Basket Id: 571M24219154

Original Order Date: 10/12/2016

Refund value: GBP 0.11

Please keep a copy of this e-mail and print for your records. If you have any queries or questions in relation to your order, please send an email to player.support@streamamg.com.

Kind Regards, EFL
  • Options

Hi SIV,

We have completed the refund for the following items:

SUMMARY: Subscription Purchase: Charlton F.C PlayerHD-Annual subscription - Charlton F.C- Season Pass GBP 23.99

Basket Id: 571M24219154

Original Order Date: 10/12/2016

Refund value: GBP 0.11

Please keep a copy of this e-mail and print for your records. If you have any queries or questions in relation to your order, please send an email to player.support@streamamg.com.

Kind Regards, EFL

FFS.......how utterly ridiculous!
  • Options
    One poster has mentioned their pro rata refund is satisfactory, three of us say it is simply wrong.
    I want to lay this firmly at the feet of the club. Katrien Meire and Tom Rubashow said two meetings ago that the new website is what is going to save Charlton Athletic and turn it's fortunes around.
    Well Katrien, and Tom and Tony Cojones, and those who have posted on this thread Olly Groome and Sam Adamson are overseeing this brave new world which is being launched by seemingly ripping 75% of it's loyal fans off.
    If this is not yet another example of the club that hates it's fans then I will be interested to see what pro active steps the club takes.
    It is down to them.