Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Last Q&A of the season sunday: CAST - save the best to last

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Rob7Lee said:

Missed It said:

She was asked if there had been any work whatsoever on looking at alternative uses for any part of The Valley and her first words in response were something like 'nothing concrete' she then moved on to talk about the training ground and putting a roof on the concourse of the East Stand.

She was also asked whether there was ever a scenario she could see where the club was sold and ground retained by RD and her response was along the lines of 'that is not on the agenda so I won't answer'

Overall she looked nervous and not happy to be there (not really surprising as it was never going to be an easy audience).

I do think her salary is a non-issue, it's a private company and therefore up to them as to whether they release that information. Personally I would take the same stance as her in the situation and I found that line of questioning a little uncomfortable because of that, but that is just me!

Oh and as for Tony Keohone, (I think that is how it is spelt) he did not come across at all well to me, I really hope he does not have much influence or pay !

Her salary and terms of employment are definitely an issue. Her employment seems deliberately set up to conceal it. She is a director, but receives zero remuneration for that position. She is supposedly the CEO of Charlton but her salary doesn't appear anywhere in the company accounts. I can only assume she is a Staprix employee, sub-contracted to provide management services (badly!) to Charlton Athletic.

It is a pretty poor example of corporate governance when the only directors are the sole 100% shareholder, an employee entirely dependent on the patronage of the 100% shareholder and a desperate hanger-on waiting for a £4m pay-off. No accountability whatsoever.
    She definitely 'said' she was employed by Charlton, and that her salary appears in the accounts (but lumped in with everyone else).
    If she is paid by Charlton her salary must be within this figure, declared in the Baton accounts.

The question then is whether she can claim that being paid as chief executive is not being paid as a director. But if so why doesn't every chief executive do that?
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Missed It said:

She was asked if there had been any work whatsoever on looking at alternative uses for any part of The Valley and her first words in response were something like 'nothing concrete' she then moved on to talk about the training ground and putting a roof on the concourse of the East Stand.

She was also asked whether there was ever a scenario she could see where the club was sold and ground retained by RD and her response was along the lines of 'that is not on the agenda so I won't answer'

Overall she looked nervous and not happy to be there (not really surprising as it was never going to be an easy audience).

I do think her salary is a non-issue, it's a private company and therefore up to them as to whether they release that information. Personally I would take the same stance as her in the situation and I found that line of questioning a little uncomfortable because of that, but that is just me!

Oh and as for Tony Keohone, (I think that is how it is spelt) he did not come across at all well to me, I really hope he does not have much influence or pay !

Her salary and terms of employment are definitely an issue. Her employment seems deliberately set up to conceal it. She is a director, but receives zero remuneration for that position. She is supposedly the CEO of Charlton but her salary doesn't appear anywhere in the company accounts. I can only assume she is a Staprix employee, sub-contracted to provide management services (badly!) to Charlton Athletic.

It is a pretty poor example of corporate governance when the only directors are the sole 100% shareholder, an employee entirely dependent on the patronage of the 100% shareholder and a desperate hanger-on waiting for a £4m pay-off. No accountability whatsoever.
    She definitely 'said' she was employed by Charlton, and that her salary appears in the accounts (but lumped in with everyone else).
    If she is paid by Charlton here salary must be within this figure, declared in the Baton accounts.image

The question then is whether she can claim that being paid as chief executive is not being paid as a director. But if so why doesn't every chief executive do that?
    I'm assuming because most CEO's are not actual directors?
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Missed It said:

If she is paid by Charlton here salary must be within this figure, declared in the Baton accounts.image

I'm assuming because most CEO's are not actual directors?
    Then the issue wouldn't arise as they would not be required to declare their remuneration under this provision.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Missed It said:

Daisy says a lot of things, most of which don't stand up to serious scrutiny.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Missed It said:

If she is paid by Charlton her salary must be within this figure, declared in the Baton accounts.

I'd agree it's likely in that figure. I don't buy the doesn't have to declare as not paid as a director but as a CEO, she's still a director. I suspect it's more the under £200k figure, which on the assumption it is less than that I don't think they separately have to declare.

I'm not that concerned what she earns as any amount is too much, i'm more concerned how after such failure over a prolonged period she still remains in position.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Missed It said:

I'd agree it's likely in that figure. I don't buy the doesn't have to declare as not paid as a director but as a CEO, she's still a director. I suspect it's more the under £200k figure, which on the assumption it is less than that I don't think they separately have to declare.

I'm not that concerned what she earns as any amount is too much, i'm more concerned how after such failure over a prolonged period she still remains in position.
    I don't agree because I still believe they have to declare the aggregate paid to directors and even if that isn't the case you can't declare nil unless you mean nil.

Nil doesn't mean exempt from disclosure. It means what it says.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Missed It said:

I don't agree because I still believe they have to declare the aggregate and even if that isn't the case you can't declare nil unless you mean nil.

I didn't see the Nil line, in that case I'd agree, on the assumption she's employed by Baton.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Missed It said:

I don't agree because I still believe they have to declare the aggregate and even if that isn't the case you can't declare nil unless you mean nil.

I didn't see the Nil line, in that case I'd agree, on the assumption she's employed by Baton.
    Baton via CAFC Ltd. Apart from the extra interest "hidden" here, all Baton does is consolidate the CAFC Ltd and CAH Ltd accounts.

The nil line is in CAFC Ltd too.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Rob7Lee said:

Missed It said:

Daisy says a lot of things, most of which don't stand up to serious scrutiny.
    As my old Gran used to say " Talks as her belly guides her ".

Oh, maybe that's Sue P ?

:smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The reason we'd all like to know is 'what price failure?' Whatever it is, it's clearly too much based on performance. My bet is it would cause an outrage which is why she's desperate to keep it a secret.
  • Options

My understanding is that it is irrelevant if the earnings of the director are paid under an employment contract rather than for acting as a director. Given the accounts have to show payments to a third party or a company owned by director, which are not direct payments to the director (the purposes of referring to "qualifying services" in the Act), it hardly makes sense that you can avoid showing directors' remuneration by the simple expedient of saying they only get paid for being an employee and include their earnings under staff operating costs.

RD's other companies, including Melexis, also show nil directors' fees, it's his MO.

It's none of our business what Daisy gets paid, but the law says it is our business as customers to have access to details of aggregate directors earnings. It's necessary in order to judge remuneration with relative performance and assess value for money of the product and services of the company. Key executives are not directors and are not accountable for corporate decisions on strategy or policy, they are simply part of the disclosed overhead costs.

Suggest CAST write to the auditors for confirmation that

(i) the CAFC directors all work for no remuneration and
    (ii) have no contracts of employment with CAFC for which they are remunerated and
    (iii) have no contract with any other party which remunerates them for services given to CAFC as a director or employee.
    (iv) do not benefit from payments made to third parties in relation to director qualifying services

The reason is we are concerned that the accounts do not disclose to the major shareholder the poor value he is getting from his board. As he is very busy with other investments and hasn't visited the company's place of business in three years we are worried he hasn't got a clue what's going on and there aren't any directors running the company.

Thanks, Dippenhall. On what basis would the auditors enter into correspondence with us, though?
  • Options

Katrien is a Director, of 2 Charlton Athletic companies and Baton 2010 Ltd these are facts. If she receives remuneration of any kind, even if it is only non-cash benefits, from any of those companies that has to appear in the full accounts as "Directors' Remuneration". Whether her remuneration is for her role as "Director" or some other role(s) is entirely irrelevant. She is a director + she receives remuneration = directors remuneration. The companies, as subsidiaries of larger entities, do not have to disclose transactions between group entities. If KM receives her emoluments/salary/benefits at the cost of some foreign or non-group entity, there would be no obligation on those 3 UK companies to disclose it. If any of the 3 UK companies are charged by another entity for the services of KM (or any other Director), that ought to feature somewhere in the notes to the accounts. The companies' auditors, Nyman Libson Paul, should identify in their report to the accounts, any required disclosure not made in the accounts themselves. It may well be that KM's salary is paid by some other part of roly's empire, to which the UK charlton companies are not technically "connected". That being the case, uncovering the £sterling value of her 30 pieces of silver would be just about impossible, and not required disclosure of any of the UK entities. I can't navigate my way around Belgium's equivalent of Companies House website to interrogate Staprix NV's published financial statements, and know even less about Belgian corporate governance and disclosure requirements. If the squirrel faced lying incompotent isn't a director of Staprix I'm not sure we'd ever find out how opulently the septuagenarian shitforbrains is feathering her nest. Putting pounds and pence on her mendacity and blundering is only going to upset us even more isn't it? Her remaining in post is insult enough. Finding out how much she trousers while mugging off the customers will feel like punching myself in the balls. Best if we let this sleeping dog lie. all puns intended. We have more important battles to win on the road to Charlton Athletic's redemption.

Agree, we spend too much time agonising over and re-affirming her incompetence, but from CAST report for Sunday, saying she is an employee of the club (if true) is surely confusing. I assumed she was paid by say Staprix and was not an employee of the club in any capacity so avoiding disclosure.

Accept auditors will not engage regarding disclosure of a private company's information but if they audit a public statutory document they ought to explain how it is compliant if there is doubt arising as a result of a director's statement in public on the matter which seems to contradict the disclosures.
  • Options
    "If the squirrel faced lying incompotent isn't a director of Staprix I'm not sure we'd ever find out how opulently the septuagenarian shitforbrains is feathering her nest. Putting pounds and pence on her mendacity and blundering is only going to upset us even more isn't it? Her remaining in post is insult enough. Finding out how much she trousers while mugging off the customers will feel like punching myself in the balls".

If there is a prize for "best 4 sentences posted this year", then this is the winner IMO.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I suggest the Trust writes to David Joyes and asks him to clarify her comments, because it was their meeting and I think we have access to enough expertise collectively to know that what she is believed to have said to Trust members does not seem to be consistent with the law as an explanation.

It seems fair to give him an opportunity to comment.
  • Options

I suggest the Trust writes to David Joyes and asks him to clarify her comments, because it was their meeting and I think we have access to enough expertise collectively to know that what she is believed to have said to Trust members does not seem to be consistent with the law as an explanation.

It seems fair to give him an opportunity to comment.

• Options
    Oh @cabbles, you let your disappointment to do with her jilting you get to your head.

I know you loved her obsessively once, but I think you have to let that loving failure go mate :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would also definitely be up for one next season because she boxed herself into a corner about how next season will be different. If we're in the same shit position next year then you can just refer back to what she said in the meeting
  • Options
    I couldn't give a shit how much she gets paid. Just the way it rolls at charlton now, be shit earn a fucking fortune

• Options

Oh @cabbles, you let your disappointment to do with her jilting you get to your head.

I know you loved her obsessively once, but I think you have to let that loving failure go mate :wink:

And she even wore white on Sunday, bubbles....

Surely there was no sign of a veil & bouquet too ?

:wink:

• Options
    You've talked a hell of a lot of sense tonight, Mutts.....not that it's unusual.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If Meire came out and said the mistake they have learned was the inability to create a balanced squad, I might find some optimism from somewhere. But she has never said it, despite it being the main issue. We have had some decent foreign managers - Peeters and Riga knew what they were doing. But they were sacked - or didn't have their contracts extended in the case of Riga. We have had a CEO, completely out of her depth, but her job has been completely secure! This has to tell you something!

Luzon wasn't a completely hopless manager. We started last season with a reasonably decent first eleven. By the time we got to Preston at home we were playing three inexperienced left backs in the starting line up. I saw the team sheet and wanted to go home! It was a comfortable defeat before a ball was kicked - and it was a 3-0 defeat when the final ball was kicked. Too many of these games - the season before -away to Fulham - putting out a team that had no chance. You can't win every game, but you can't put out sides as often as we have who have zero chance of winning, and get away with it!
  • Options
    razil said:

I tried to make the point that fans were extremely concerned about the level of debt being many times what they paid for the club, and also reminded them the club sold previously for £1 in league one - KM seemed surprised at the latter.

I said it's all very well admitting mistakes (although I puzzled at the hiring decisions and management exprience - not sure she realised I meant her) and that making mistakes had a cost. The resulting debt (beyond normal losses) was being saddled on the club, effectively we are paying for those mistakes.

She waffled about Football finance, and countered that it didn't really matter - the friendly debt argument. I argued we should focus on our club not others. I asked why not write it off then? I compared it to negative equity.

I also quipped Roland would want his money back and that was why the debt and interest was there, and asked could she guarantee the Valley would not be separated from the club during their tenure. She retorted that was not up for discussion.

The meeting then immediately ended despite starting late, and she rapidly hit the exit and seemed to be very unhappy - don't know what others also sitting near the door like me think about her mood, but to me she looked gray in the face and mega pissed off after our exchange. Maybe she just dropped her smiley game face at the end of the meeting, or maybe I hit a nerve not really sure. Overall most of the questions were fairly hard hitting to the extent you felt a bit sorry for the lady.

I left feeling proud of our fans, but also sad that the huge positive energy of Charlton fans was now by necessity engaged in such negative meetings with the club.

I agree Razil in that she did look angry as she walked past us both. I think the good things about these sessions is that we all very quickly know what stock responses we get. We can change and adapt.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    razil said:

I left feeling proud of our fans, but also sad that the huge positive energy of Charlton fans was now by necessity engaged in such negative meetings with the club.

This was pretty much how I felt on Sunday at the protest. We have a great set of supporters and yet their energy passion and skills have had to be diverted away from support into a struggle with the ownership of the club.
    The stupidity, mismanagement and general incompetence of those running this football club is never more evident than this ridiculous failure to utilise and build its support base to move this club forward.
    That is the tragedy of it all. But it seems they simply do not want that support.