Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Options

I find it interesting that our plan to upgrade the squad for promotion seems to consist of raiding a team that came only one point above us this season.

Early days yet though, I suppose.

This is always such a flawed way to think about signings. Djimi Traore came to us having just finished 3rd in the Premier League, Clive Mendonca was relegated the year before we signed him. I know which one I remember more fondly as a Charlton player.

If MK Dons were about to sign Ricky Holmes and you saw a comment on their forum like the one you just posted you'd think they were mad.

The player is what counts, not who you signed them from. There are plenty of dodgy players at good clubs and plenty of good players at dodgy clubs. No idea which Reeves is but he seemed to play well against us.
    Makes sense if it were the odd player - for example Burnley plucking JBG from a relegated Championship side.

However the thing I find weird is that we are being linked with so many of their players. Potter and Reeves from their midfield, their goalkeeper, plus several other players that were recently playing for them under KR (Williams etc).

All rumours and nonsense at this point though.
  • Options

I find it interesting that our plan to upgrade the squad for promotion seems to consist of raiding a team that came only one point above us this season.

This is always such a flawed way to think about signings. Djimi Traore came to us having just finished 3rd in the Premier League, Clive Mendonca was relegated the year before we signed him. I know which one I remember more fondly as a Charlton player.

If MK Dons were about to sign Ricky Holmes and you saw a comment on their forum like the one you just posted you'd think they were mad.

The player is what counts, not who you signed them from. There are plenty of dodgy players at good clubs and plenty of good players at dodgy clubs. No idea which Reeves is but he seemed to play well against us.
    Makes sense if it were the odd player - for example Burnley plucking JBG from a relegated Championship side.

However the thing I find weird is that we are being linked with so many of their players. Potter and Reeves from their midfield, their goalkeeper, plus several other players that were recently playing for them under KR (Williams etc).

• Options
    I just don't see why Reeves would come to us just to work with Robinson. The odds on KR to be here in December (or even August) must be slim
  • Options

Agents are trying to spark up intrest in players they represent, and linking them to a move to an ex manager is a good as it has some credibility.

The Reeves one is completely differant because we know we were after him in January. He is just the sort of player we need to sign. Obviously his agent is just having a last pitch to clubs in the Championship and if nothing comes from it he will hopefully sign.

Getting him in should help us secure Holmes and help persuade other targets to come.
  • Options
    Only linked with a lot because it is an easy storey to fill some space. We will end up with a couple I reckon
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

vff said:

SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

We have been speaking with Reeves for quite a while now. Impressive signing for us if it happens.

KR was talking to Reeves in January. He's had 4 months to decide, so surely it all boils down to money, a better offer or whether he gets an offer from a Championship club.

It was rumoured in January we offered £500K & MKD wanted £1M.

That is bonkers money for a good League One player with six months to run on his contract. I know KR overdoes it at times, but if that's what I was quoted, assuming I didn't understand what a false economy the transfers market is in England, then I'd be really upset as well. This is why teams, increasingly even in League One it seems, take a punt on foreign players.
    Mk Dons turned down £500,000 for a player with six months on their contract?!!!?? That is about crazy as offering it in the first place.
    Agreed. But we should be really clear, this is just rumor. And also, we don't know how that theoretical £500,000 was broken out, could have been £50 up front then £400,000 after his 10th international goal or when Charlton reach the Champions League.
    SDAddick said:

vff said:

SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

We have been speaking with Reeves for quite a while now. Impressive signing for us if it happens.

KR was talking to Reeves in January. He's had 4 months to decide, so surely it all boils down to money, a better offer or whether he gets an offer from a Championship club.

That is bonkers money for a good League One player with six months to run on his contract. I know KR overdoes it at times, but if that's what I was quoted, assuming I didn't understand what a false economy the transfers market is in England, then I'd be really upset as well. This is why teams, increasingly even in League One it seems, take a punt on foreign players.
    Mk Dons turned down £500,000 for a player with six months on their contract?!!!?? That is about crazy as offering it in the first place.
    Agreed. But we should be really clear, this is just rumor. And also, we don't know how that theoretical £500,000 was broken out, could have been £50 up front then £400,000 after his 10th international goal or when Charlton reach the Champions League.
    May be unfounded. Katie's negotiation skills are renowned throughout the football land though.
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:

Redhenry said:

Nothing else at the moment as far as I am aware. Was told about Reeves signing on a free months ago.

Do we think he will defo sign then ?
    I don't know for certain.
  • Options
    I'm fairly sure we didn't try to buy him in Jan. We were always looking at getting him on a free.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:

I'm fairly sure we didn't try to buy him in Jan. We were always looking at getting him on a free.

Maybe Robbo was miffed that we offered a bit of compensation for the balance of his contract and they came back with something silly? Where were these championship clubs back in Jan? Were they in the mix? Could MKD have overplayed their hand and now get nothing? Or has Reeves played a better hand and got himself a decent signing on fee?

I suspect the latter.

Thank god we have Daisey to negotiate a tight contract. The agent seems pleased with it!
  • Options
    If agents aren't out there trying to drum up interest and better deals at this time of the season then there is no point in them.

He will end up lower championship or at least to the highest bidder. Not expecting him to sign.
  • Options
    Reckon we'll get Ben Reeves instead of him going to Sheffield United.

Ched Evans | Ben Reeves | Jay O'Shea | Ricky Holmes... In one respect if I was a Blades fan I'd be asking why the club were signing players solely from clubs who finished in the bottom half of a League that they strolled through last season.

Surely they should be trying to sign players of a higher calibre now?
  • Options

If agents aren't out there trying to drum up interest and better deals at this time of the season then there is no point in them

unless you are Pogba's agent then it's one deal and you can retire

• Options
    Redhenry said:

#CoveredEnd was correct earlier when he stated that we offered 500k, but MK Dons wanted £1 million.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2017
    There's only one reason reeves would sign, KR, simple.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

There's only one reason reeves wound sign, KR, simple.

Money would help
  • Options
    ross1 said:

DA9 said:

Money would help
    Genuinely beleive he would go elsewhere and not even consider us if it weren't for his link with KR
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Milton Keynes or London? I know where i'd rather live.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

quite agree. But I highly doubt they did turn down half a million pounds.

why did we pay the same 500K for Lewis Page? on what planet does an academy release with no track record of games go for 500K? what other corrupting factors are part of this deal? on what i have seen of him, and talking to others, i havent heard anything positive about his game. fairly slow of foot and even slower of mind.

3% interest on that 500K as well. accumulating. compounding.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15274436.Report__Charlton__Burton_and_Portsmouth_chasing_Fulham_whizkid/

Charlton boss Karl Robinson signed Williams on-loan at MK Dons last season, but his spell was cut short due to limited playing time.

Excellent... Can really see this Williams wanting to work under a Manager who barely played him last time...
  • Options

DA9 said:

Sheffield or London I know where I'd rather live
  • Options

DA9 said:

Yeah... Neither
  • Options

DA9 said:

Good point, London
  • Options

DA9 said:

There's no roundabout way to put it
  • Options

DA9 said:

There's no roundabout way to put it
    I think this thread is going around in circles...
  • Options

If agents aren't out there trying to drum up interest and better deals at this time of the season then there is no point in them

unless you are Pogba's agent then it's one deal and you can retire

Have you not seen Mino Raiola's client list?

Balotelli
    Zlatan
    Pogba
    Lukaku
    Donnarumma (17 year old wonderkid keeper)
    Mkhitarian

Also been involved with deals for Nedved, Rijkaard and Robinho in the past

Don't think he's struggling for cash

• Options
    Reeves will only sign for us if all else fails....
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Football League Zone‏
    @TheFLZone

Follow
    More
    Ipswich, QPR, Charlton, Rotherham & Portsmouth are interested in signing Swindon defender Nathan Thompson.

5'9" 160 appearances for Swindon, 26 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Thompson_(English_footballer)
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Football League Zone‏
    @TheFLZone

Follow
    More
    Ipswich, QPR, Charlton, Rotherham & Portsmouth are interested in signing Swindon defender Nathan Thompson.

5'9" 160 appearances for Swindon, 26 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Thompson_(English_footballer)

Saw that on SSNHQ just now.

Older brother of former target Louis Thompson