Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

199100101102103105»

Comments

• Catford Cyphers 1s consolidated after promotion, 2s are promoted, 3s a strong season and likewise 4s who will just miss out on promotion. All in all not a bad season. They would be a very strong club if they could find a 2nd pitch nearer to home 

As for lolwray himself, his season came to an end in early July after a bout of sciatica. Ironically as the season draws to a close he has recovered but now no cricket to play .

• Our ones and 3s missed out on promotion both finishing 3rd in their respective divisions and somehow the team who finished 2nd in the thirds division had the wrong score up showing they’d been stuffed and our lot started celebrating before a couple of hours later the score was corrected 🤦‍♂️
    Twos, my team,  go up as Champions to division 7 of Mid Essex Cricket League 
    just want to complete a full season next year cos last two seasons have been curtailed by injury … getting old now 54 and there’s always something snapping pulling etc 

That comment about age reminds me of a chap called Darrell Carter who I've known for almost 40 years and who is currently at Whitstable. He has had a number of clubs but in his heyday was one of the top seamers around playing for the likes of Blackheath, Beckenham, Bexley and Hartley (in one of the bests sides there has ever been in the Kent League with the likes of Min Patel, Sam Billings, Matt Coles, James Thompson, Andrew Tutt, James Hockley etc etc).

Anyway, he's been at Whistable for three years and has been turning out for their 2s and 3s. Until Saturday that is when he made his first team debut in the Championship, the second tier of the Kent League. He opened the bowling and failed to take a wicket but if I say he returned 0-35 off 10 overs out of Beckenham's total of 287-7 off 50 overs, it won't surprise people to learn that he was their most economic bowler. Darrell will be 57 next month so there's certainly life in the old dog.

As a side note, also in the Whitstable 1s is Darrell's teenage son, Finn who is a strapping 6' 4'' plus. But unlike his Dad he's not a quick bowler - he's a keeper batsman but if he's going to carry on with the gloves he might need to stop growing soon. Finn played for Scotland U17 this summer and his 19 year old sister, Darcey, will have even bigger things on the agenda next month as she is in Scotland's World Cup team who are due to play Bangladesh, West Indies, South Africa and England in the Group stages. Darcey is a batter/spinner. The seam bowling genes do not appear to have been passed down to either of his kids.          
  • Honestly a perfect victory on Saturday. We bowled superbly to restrict Burgess Park 2s to 96 all out. They never really had a partnership mainly because our opener, Praveen, had them on strings (9-5-8-3) and bowled two unplayable deliveries to their best bats - genuinely think they'd have had nearly anyone's name on them.

In the chase, I very deliberately sent out two of our - let's say slower - batsmen, who dug in to see off the new ball and their best bowlers. No quick singles, and I was pleased when the first wicket fell at 19/1 off 13.4 overs. Boring? Yes. The right call? Absolutely, as our numbers 3 and 4 made 40 and 30 at just better than a run a ball when they had to find other ideas. The 9(46) and 10(65) from our openers was unironically just as important: if we were 10/2 off 4 overs then there's a lot more danger in the chase.
  • Quite  nerve wracking up at Rectory for the sizeable crowd watching the end of the Blackheath match. Teams went off for bad light with Tunbridge behind on D/L. Managed to get back on and the overseas Riley Ayre snared a wicket first ball. After that it was only a matter of time. Cue massive celebrations. The 6th team got promoted and the 2nds  just avoided relegation from Div 2 after being promoted last season. I made my excuses at midnight and went home a bit worse for wear.
  • Unfortunately received this message this morning 

KENT CRICKET LEAGUE NEWS
    REST IN PEACE - MICKEY O'CALLAGHAN (SHOOTERS HILL CC)
    Rest in Peace
    Mickey O'Callaghan
    Shooters Hill CC
    Dated - 5th September 2024
    The Kent Cricket League have been notified of the recent passing of Mickey O'Callaghan.
    He was a fundamental part of Junior Cricket in the Greenwich Borough, bringing on the next generation at Shooters Hill CC.
    Obituary and funeral arrangements will follow in due course.

M O’C was a Charlton fan and I first met him nearly 50 years ago when he played football with my dad at Metrogas which was based at Horn Lane back then 
    I then went on to play cricket with him for Metrogas and Shooters Hill and went on many a cricket tour to the New Forest back in the 90s early 00’s 
    he was a positive man who loved his sport and Charlton .
    RIP Micky 

KENT CRICKET LEAGUE NEWS
    Rest in Peace
    Mickey O'Callaghan
    Shooters Hill CC
    The Kent Cricket League have been notified of the recent passing of Mickey O'Callaghan.
    He was a fundamental part of Junior Cricket in the Greenwich Borough, bringing on the next generation at Shooters Hill CC.

M O’C was a Charlton fan and I first met him nearly 50 years ago when he played football with my dad at Metrogas which was based at Horn Lane back then 
    I then went on to play cricket with him for Metrogas and Shooters Hill and went on many a cricket tour to the New Forest back in the 90s early 00’s 
    RIP Micky 
    I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Mickey myself but my eldest played games with him a decade or so ago for Shooters Hill. On another sad note, I see that Graham Briggs has passed away too. He was responsible, through his backing, for much of the success of Bromley CC and latterly for that of Roebucks CC.  

RIP

KENT CRICKET LEAGUE NEWS
    Rest in Peace
    Mickey O'Callaghan
    Shooters Hill CC

RIP Micky 
    Sad sad news.
    Micky was a top bloke and dedicated an enormous amount of his time to running youth cricket.
    Played in a dads and lads Sunday side with him at Shoots around 15-20 years ago and we’d always talk about the rivalry back in the 80s between LBG and the Gas.
    RIP Micky O