Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• In a bid to secure the KPL, Minster have the cousin of Jason Roy and Essex and Netherlands international, Shane Snater, joining his former teammate, Aron Nijjar, in the side tomorrow. They could have done with him last week. 
    Who have they dropped?  I've been switched to Hayes Vs Sandwich tomorrow...
  • edited August 16
    Pedro45 said:
    In a bid to secure the KPL, Minster have the cousin of Jason Roy and Essex and Netherlands international, Shane Snater, joining his former teammate, Aron Nijjar, in the side tomorrow. They could have done with him last week. 
    Max Luckett - he told me last week that he was the one likely to be left out. As you know, Minster used 8 bowlers last week and he still didn't get a bowl but played as a batsman. Such a shame that he's gone from county 2s to a regular in Minster's 2nd XI but he's now got bigger things to fry as he's starting a PHD in September in Nottingham which includes a placement so will probably end up playing cricket up there next summer. He's a good lad.  

I also noticed that you weren't doing our game which is a shame. 
  • Bickley Park turned up at Blackheath to find that the hosts had the Kent captain, Daniel Bell-Drummond, in their ranks. Nothing wrong with that as he is a Blackheath player but this is likely, as with last season, to be his only game for the club and one can't help feeling that Bickley are slightly unlucky to that extent. Of course, had he played any cricket in the previous three weeks then he wouldn't have been seen at the Rectory Field but we know the reasons for that.

Anyway, having won the toss, Bickley elected to follow the template of the previous week's success against Minster and ask Blackheath to bat. That wasn't their only mistake of the day as DBD helped himself to 159 (131) out of a total of 336-6. There was never going to be any question of Bickley, against one of the best bowling attacks in the KPL, of chasing that down but at 107-2 in less than 20 overs, they were handily placed to pick up maximum batting bonus points for reaching 200. Needless to say 140 all out. Another awful capitulation. 

That result was made even worse with the news of a couple of other extraordinary results - firstly Sandwich, minus once again their three semi-pro footballers, succeeded in bowling out Hayes for 94 and duly win by 7 wickets and then Canterbury, having only managed 149 themselves, ended up relatively thrashing the superstars of Minster, including Snater, by 51 runs. Minster were, in fact, at one point, 44-8 but managed to crawl to 98. So, Bickley now need to win a minimum to two of their last three games and that might not even be enough to survive.

Minster are still comfortably top by 23 points but they really do have a bizarre record of achievement now. Of the four games they have lost, the first came against Sandwich when they were bottom. They lost last week to Bickley when they were bottom and this week to Canterbury when they were in last place. In fact, those four defeats have come against teams in the bottom five and they have yet to play Lordswood again so could make it a clean sweep and probably still win the KPL. It's been a strange top flight this season!
  • Pedro45 said:
    In a bid to secure the KPL, Minster have the cousin of Jason Roy and Essex and Netherlands international, Shane Snater, joining his former teammate, Aron Nijjar, in the side tomorrow. They could have done with him last week. 
    Max Luckett - he told me last week that he was the one likely to be left out. As you know, Minster used 8 bowlers last week and he still didn't get a bowl but played as a batsman. Such a shame that he's gone from county 2s to a regular in Minster's 2nd XI but he's now got bigger things to fry as he's starting a PHD in September in Nottingham which includes a placement so will probably end up playing cricket up there next summer. He's a good lad.  

Bringing Luckett to OCs a bit like bringing an F-18 to a knife fight. He wasn't even needed to bowl, of course 
  • Our seconds secured promotion with a comfortable win against 4th placed Old Chelmsfordians third Xl 
    we scored 204 and they were all out for 121 

Our ones didn’t have a game and with injuries and holidays we were scraping the barrel to get an eleven together without touching the ones , we took just one 
    we had a kid who’d only played for the 3s this season come in and an adult who’s shit and has only played Sunday matches this season , we had one fella who’d played twice for the twos this year but has been in the runs for the ones as well …

he dutifully scored 97 🤦‍♂️ 

• Leuth said:
    Pedro45 said:

Bringing Luckett to OCs a bit like bringing an F-18 to a knife fight. He wasn't even needed to bowl, of course 

A 309 run defeat has to be close to some sort Kent League record doesn't it? 
  • Leuth said:
    Pedro45 said:

Who was the umpire that stood with Mark Tucker?  It is shown on Play-cricket as Mark Griffin, but he (the panel umpire version) was busy calling off the ODCUACO game after 25 overs due to a dangerous pitch!
  • Pedro45 said:
    Leuth said:
    Pedro45 said:

Who was the umpire that stood with Mark Tucker?  It is shown on Play-cricket as Mark Griffin, but he (the panel umpire version) was busy calling off the ODCUACO game after 25 overs due to a dangerous pitch!
    Possibly our own Mark Renshaw? Maybe it was a panel umpire idk
  • Leuth said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Leuth said:
    Pedro45 said:

Possibly our own Mark Renshaw? Maybe it was a panel umpire idk
    It was Mark Renshaw for OCs. No panel umpires in the depths of Div 4! 
  • Leuth said:
    Pedro45 said:

I would have thought so. Honestly, it’s almost impossible to lose by such a massive margin in a 50 over match (or 15.4 overs in our case). But the most infuriating thing was that we’d shuffled batters up through the teams to cover gaps in the 1s, thus stuffing every other team in the club too. 

A total of 43 players had declared themselves unavailable for Saturday - but we somehow managed to field 4 full teams, a minor miracle in itself. Conclusion: in today’s world, we need a total playing membership of around 85-90 to be sure of fielding 4 league sides every week of the season (plus the occasional friendly side in the good weeks).
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:
    Leuth said:
    Pedro45 said:

That’s a shocker. It’s normally a good track at ODs. I had actually umpired there the previous day for a XL Club match - the wicket was a bit more up and down than normal after the overnight rain (as the 1s pitch had been covered rather than ours), but nothing out of the ordinary. All very odd. 
  • AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    Pedro45 said:

I would have thought so. Honestly, it’s almost impossible to lose by such a massive margin in a 50 over match (or 15.4 overs in our case). But the most infuriating thing was that we’d shuffled batters up through the teams to cover gaps in the 1s, thus stuffing every other team in the club too. 

A total of 43 players had declared themselves unavailable for Saturday - but we somehow managed to field 4 full teams, a minor miracle in itself. Conclusion: in today’s world, we need a total playing membership of around 85-90 to be sure of fielding 4 league sides every week of the season (plus the occasional friendly side in the good weeks).

Three of that Minster 2s side have played at the equivalent of FC cricket and another is in the Kent Academy. Another two have played in the KPL this season. It's not exactly a level playing field. Minster won the Kent League T20 yesterday beating Bexley by 2 runs in the final. Money talks and the effect of that is, of course, that it strengthens all the teams. If/when the money stops you end up with a Hartley type situation with the club ending up in the Kent Village League. Credit to Bromley who have moved to concentrating on their junior section in the last few years (all bar four of their 1st XI on Saturday are under 21) and are now reaping the benefits of that with promotion to the KPL a certainty.    
  • edited August 19
    Bexley lost the Kent Leauge T20 final. They beat Blackheath in the morning and Minster beat Tunbridge wells to set up the Bexley Minster Final. 
    Minster won, the score locked out on the stream at 173 for 5 off18 overs for Minster. Bexley 152 for 7 off the 20 overs.
  • AshBurton said:
    That’s a shocker. It’s normally a good track at ODs. I had actually umpired there the previous day for a XL Club match - the wicket was a bit more up and down than normal after the overnight rain (as the 1s pitch had been covered rather than ours), but nothing out of the ordinary. All very odd. 
    Was a complete farce of a cancellation by a busy-body umpire. Few balls kicked up a little bit, but to abandon the game was a complete joke. 
  • C_Dubz said:
    AshBurton said:
    Was a complete farce of a cancellation by a busy-body umpire. Few balls kicked up a little bit, but to abandon the game was a complete joke. 
    From the footage it looked like he was bullying the female umpire at the other end to go with it too 
  • Not looking great for tomorrow is it chaps? 
  • Rain gives our twos the title !
    but think it stops the ones slim chance of promotion 
  • C_Dubz said:
    AshBurton said:
    To do it after 25 overs felt odd for sure from those I spoke to. How many had misbehaved by then? Especially after a 82(68) from one man 
  • Anyway, I'm in Northamptonshire at a festival and feel like I may have picked a good week to miss in the South! 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 26
    I've always been proud of scoring 0 not out, batting for just over an hour in a tenth-wicket partnership which brought no runs while trying to hold out for a draw. This was in my school days against our local rivals, Askes. However, any pretensions to a record have been smashed by Mr Bestwick playing for Darley Abbey's 4th XI. Moreover, his 137-ball innings of 0 not out got the desired result. I'm still proud of my effort - one of the highlights of my sporting career. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5yk980lrlvo
  • Literally the post above yours TMA 
  • edited August 27
    MrOneLung said:
    Literally the post above yours TMA 
    Oops!
  • There might not have been any cricket in Kent but in the Derbyshire County Cricket League, Kitlocker Division 9 South, bottom of the table clash between Mickleover 3rd XI and Darley Abbey 4th XI, Darley's opening bat, Ian Bestwick, demonstrated an "over my dead body am I giving it up" attitude rarely witnessed at club level. Perhaps he had the hump that all the other 10 in his team (including the keeper) got to bowl and that he was the odd man out. Certainly made up for it with the bat. Or not depending on how you view his innings. 

https://mickleover.play-cricket.com/website/results/6106278
    My favourite detail about this scorecard is seeing an opener stumped off one opening bowler by the other opening bowler 
  • Redlands CC have playing in their most recent game five cricketers that have played in the Kent League, all of which play State cricket and two that have played for Australia. Not a bad side to beat:

Sam Heazlett (Bexley)
    Jimmy Peirson (Bexley)
    Marnus Labuschagne (Sandwich)
    James Bazley (Sandwich)
    Jack Sinfield (Bexley) 

• 👏👏👏👏

Dartford 2’s win their division yesterday away at Minster - my mate’s son - Tom Lowrie - for the 2nd season running, had a fab season with the bat - last season he was a player with Dartford 4’s who won their division as well - so 2 seasons on the bounce he is a member of a championship winning side - Dartford 1’s surely calling for Tom - a fine player and only 17 

His Dad - Jim - was also a bloody good batsmen back in the day - still is now TBF 
  • 👏👏👏👏

Dartford 2’s win their division yesterday away at Minster - my mate’s son - Tom Lowrie - for the 2nd season running, had a fab season with the bat - last season he was a player with Dartford 4’s who won their division as well - so 2 seasons on the bounce he is a member of a championship winning side - Dartford 1’s surely calling for Tom - a fine player and only 17 

His Dad - Jim - was also a bloody good batsmen back in the day - still is now TBF 
    That was a great result for Chislehurst too, and puts them into second place by a point with just one game to go...
  • Pedro45 said:
    👏👏👏👏

That was a great result for Chislehurst too, and puts them into second place by a point with just one game to go...
    Dartford 2s, Minster 2s and Chislehurst & WK 1s are all excellent sides in that division, which the OC 1s will now be departing after failing to defend 316 at Bromley Common 2s. Our 2s relegation was also confirmed and the 3s failed to prolong their promotion challenge into the final day. When I found out that Charlton had lost too, that really was the icing on a particularly shit cake! Thank goodness for @PaddyP17's victorious 4s and I have to admit that @Leuth bowled very well too.