Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• PaddyP17 said:
    Played Farningham last year with the Waggoners - recognise Gam, who guested for the Waggoners once a few years ago. Richard Pleydell my connection there, good fella, but we were a bit strong for them and I don't think they were too happy! Wasn't meant to be a mismatch given I went for millions while bowling, tbf
    Seb ran Farningham's Colts winter training programme and knows Richard through doing that with him. Said that they were a really good bunch of kids. CJ, who played with Alfie yesterday, was at one time at Bexley. Another good bloke.   
  • Helped mount an incredible comeback from 30-7 to 142 all out yesterday, batting 25 overs for 12*. Then bowled a wicket maiden first over. We still got absolutely gubbed. @AshBurton smacked an extremely fluent 44 at the other end then our number 10 came in and blazed 36 so I guess I'm going down the order next week. Or opening. One or the other
  • Don't really know what to say about Bickley Park's game against Sandwich apart from the fact that they were second when it came to the bowling. And the fielding. And the batting. 

Sandwich won the toss, elected to bat and at 41-2, there was no indication whatsoever of what was to come. If a classy 48 from former Kent, Somerset and Durham keeper/batsman, Ryan Davies, was the "hors d'oeuvres" with an elegant and effortless 48 then what was to come from Zach Fagg was the main course. Fagg has been for seasons Sandwich's "enforcer" up top and when he comes off he can be a game changer. For the last couple of games he has dropped to 6 and become the finisher - 96 off 75 balls and job done. Sandwich closed on 279-8. To add insult to literal injury, Bickley's overseas split the webbing on his hand requiring stitches. Bickley started well enough with an opening stand of 73. Hooper out for 40. I blinked and Bickley were 139 all out. Lost by 140 runs.  

Minster have pulled themselves clear at the top by 23 points with 6/7 wins. The next 4 teams are separated by just 3 points, then a gap of 14 points to 6th with just 9 points between them and 10th. There's a long, long way to go though.   

• Leuth said:
    Helped mount an incredible comeback from 30-7 to 142 all out yesterday, batting 25 overs for 12*. Then bowled a wicket maiden first over. We still got absolutely gubbed. @AshBurton smacked an extremely fluent 44 at the other end then our number 10 came in and blazed 36 so I guess I'm going down the order next week. Or opening. One or the other
    Thought you might mention Chuks Aneke’s appearance on our boundary (at Willett Rec in Petts Wood). At one point the ball was heading his way at a rate of knots and I was tempted to shout “Noooo, don’t let it hit Chuks!”
  • AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    Helped mount an incredible comeback from 30-7 to 142 all out yesterday, batting 25 overs for 12*. Then bowled a wicket maiden first over. We still got absolutely gubbed. @AshBurton smacked an extremely fluent 44 at the other end then our number 10 came in and blazed 36 so I guess I'm going down the order next week. Or opening. One or the other
    Thought you might mention Chuks Aneke’s appearance on our boundary (at Willett Rec in Petts Wood). At one point the ball was heading his way at a rate of knots and I was tempted to shout “Noooo, don’t let it hit Chuks!”
    Mentioned on the appropriate thread ;)
  • Well, that's me outed as only a rare reader of the "Chuks" thread.

Love the post about Alfie May playing for Farningham. Unexpectedly, I also played against a former Charlton player on the county seniors circuit last Tuesday at Gravesend. Opening the batting for Hampshire 60+ 2nd XI was one Andy Jones, who made 66 appearances (15 goals) for us as a striker in the old First Division. 

I'd like to say I recognised him straight away, but I didn't. His identity only came to light when he gave one of our bats a bit of sweary send-off from cover point, which was duly spotted by our umpire and the outgoing bat, who was already raging after a dodgy LBW. An unseemly OAP fracas looked on the cards for moment or two. The other 10 Hampshire players appeared mortified by this sudden departure from the spirit of cricket, one muttering to us on the boundary: "it just had to be the ex pro footballer, didn't it!". A quick check of the scorecard and Wikipedia, and it all fell into place - his last clubs were Poole and Havant, and he then went into business down that way. As for the cricket, he was bowled early on, but not before he smote the fourth ball of the match for an enormous six towards the Bat & Ball pub.
  • edited June 23
    I watched a bit of my local Kent Village side, Fordcombe CC, yesterday. One entertaining over went 6 6 6 W wide wide 2 wide 1.
  • edited June 23
    Down in deepest darkest Sussex Lolwrays long awaited first steps on the greensward in 2024 proved successful in Sidley 2s easy victory over Westfield. The opposition were dismissed for 70 in reply to 323 for 2 .The writer contributed a tidy 2-25 from 7 in the process 

No charlton players,past or present, were involved 
  • I spent an enjoyable afternoon yesterday watching Dartford play Beechwood away at Sevenoaks Vine (Beechwood rented the ground for the day) - fab weather - lovely ground - plenty of beers

My mate and his son were playing for Dartford, and Dartford fielded first - son had a bowl, and we had the brilliant sight of son (Tom Lowrie) bowling, and the batsmen caught by dad (Jim Lowrie) off his son’s bowling (caught at cover)

Chasing 154, dad and son opened for Dartford, quickly put on a 50 partnership, until dad got a stinker of a ball, and was caught by third man (each ball by that particular bowler was a new adventure !!!)

Son went on to 74 not out off 63 balls, incl some sumptuous cover drives for 4’s, and flicks off his toes down to fine leg for 4’s

Dartford won easily and son is really ramping up his progress now, having a fine season - shame Dartford didn’t bat first, as the way he was playing I’m pretty certain we would have seen him get his first ton

Lovely stuff
    Had the good fortune to play against Beechwood a few weeks ago for the Waggoners as we had a gap in the fixture list. In a timed game, we put on a very healthy 219/2d off just 30 overs - trying to allow ourselves an extra bit of time to bowl them out. In the end, we bowled 46 overs at them, including I think at least four at the last pair, trying to break down the defences. But their no.9 went 8*(44) and no.11 4*(28) for the draw, and it was a very good game all round. They were highly appreciative of how we managed the game - not to brag but it was just true, we were stronger than them and we approached it in the right way.

Our top order went through my entire supply of used balls as they absolutely clarted some monster hits into the farmer's field we were not allowed into, which was actually a bit annoying! Takes years of captaincy to end up with that many used balls to have on hand...
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    I spent an enjoyable afternoon yesterday watching Dartford play Beechwood away at Sevenoaks Vine (Beechwood rented the ground for the day) - fab weather - lovely ground - plenty of beers

My mate and his son were playing for Dartford, and Dartford fielded first - son had a bowl, and we had the brilliant sight of son (Tom Lowrie) bowling, and the batsmen caught by dad (Jim Lowrie) off his son’s bowling (caught at cover)

Chasing 154, dad and son opened for Dartford, quickly put on a 50 partnership, until dad got a stinker of a ball, and was caught by third man (each ball by that particular bowler was a new adventure !!!)

Son went on to 74 not out off 63 balls, incl some sumptuous cover drives for 4’s, and flicks off his toes down to fine leg for 4’s

Dartford won easily and son is really ramping up his progress now, having a fine season - shame Dartford didn’t bat first, as the way he was playing I’m pretty certain we would have seen him get his first ton

Lovely stuff
    Had the good fortune to play against Beechwood a few weeks ago for the Waggoners as we had a gap in the fixture list. In a timed game, we put on a very healthy 219/2d off just 30 overs - trying to allow ourselves an extra bit of time to bowl them out. In the end, we bowled 46 overs at them, including I think at least four at the last pair, trying to break down the defences. But their no.9 went 8*(44) and no.11 4*(28) for the draw, and it was a very good game all round. They were highly appreciative of how we managed the game - not to brag but it was just true, we were stronger than them and we approached it in the right way.

Our top order went through my entire supply of used balls as they absolutely clarted some monster hits into the farmer's field we were not allowed into, which was actually a bit annoying! Takes years of captaincy to end up with that many used balls to have on hand...
    Interesting what you say about their lower order - it was the same yesterday, I don’t know what number in the order they were, but 2 older chaps came in, and after a couple balls they faced, I thought ‘right Dartford are going to rip through them now’ - but no, they blocked and blocked, scoring very few runs - the foot movement at the crease by one of them was non existent, but he was adept at keeping his bat straight to some quite quick bowling (for that level)

Yesterday was a timed game as well, and my fear with this format is that if you bat 2nd, they can just slow the over rate down, and pootle along, and bleed out a draw

But no, they played in the right way, and their over rate was fine

As with your game, Dartford were by far the better side, and result wasn’t in doubt once my mate’s son wound up his gears and started tonking them all over the place

Really nice blokes on the other team - enjoyed chatting with some of them, and they were very impressed by mate’s son (I didn’t have the heart to tell them he plays at a much higher level on a Saturday)

All in all, fab day, lovely ground, lovely clubhouse, lovely people, hot and sunny, played in the right spirit, entertaining cricket (incl their opening bowler going arse over tit on his 3rd ball trying to bowl faster than he can after my mate slapped him for 2 cracking 4’s from the first 2 balls - my mate was quite concerned, as he really took a huge tumble 😂😂)

There was also the joyous sight of one of their older players trying to field the ball in the deep - it wasn’t going for 4, that is until he kicked it for 4 as he fell over trying to pick it up !! (I spat some beer out when he did that 😃)

I have watched my play against some sides that contain some real helmets, but yesterday was great

If Carlsberg did village green cricket…..
  • edited June 24
    In our Sunday 40 over match @ Hertford , they as usual batted first and after a steady start they changed gears and went on to get 258/2 and two batsmen retired on a 100 one of em off 69 balls and he’d gotten a ton against us the previous year .
    i nicked a wicket bowling 5 overs for probably 20-25 runs being first change but the batsmen hadn’t moved up the gears my eldest got butchered for 68 off his 8 overs 
    our Essex lady looked good for first 3 overs then got butchered in next 3 guessing she prolly went for 50-60 in her 6 

we were never gonna sniff it and they chucked some pies up at us 
    and our chief weirdo (think he’s 25) who loves cricket has a million nets goes to the gym all the time can’t bowl bat or field (only plays Sunday friendlies for us ) managed to equal his top score of 18 for the third time but he chews up too many balls , he’s 6ft 5 looks the complete part and is beyond awful bless him .
    i ended up batting with boffin who smashed a quick fire 61 off 32 balls and I was prolly 7 not out of 9 balls as we ended around 180 .

Peter Kay son aka sick note pulled out of the match due to a knee injury zzzz
  • I spent an enjoyable afternoon yesterday watching Dartford play Beechwood away at Sevenoaks Vine (Beechwood rented the ground for the day) - fab weather - lovely ground - plenty of beers

Lovely stuff
    Oh @Lordflashheart

was taking with my mates the other day (all of who Jim Lowrie will know) and the consensus was he supported Oxford not Charlton when at school - can he confirm or deny....
  • MrOneLung said:
    I spent an enjoyable afternoon yesterday watching Dartford play Beechwood away at Sevenoaks Vine (Beechwood rented the ground for the day) - fab weather - lovely ground - plenty of beers

Lovely stuff
    Oh @Lordflashheart

was taking with my mates the other day (all of who Jim Lowrie will know) and the consensus was he supported Oxford not Charlton when at school - can he confirm or deny....
    Defo always been an Addick I can assure - I asked 
  • MrOneLung said:

Lovely stuff
    Oh @Lordflashheart

Let's face it, it's not the sort of thing you'd lie about. Most pretend they aren't one!
  • MrOneLung said:

Lovely stuff
    Oh @Lordflashheart

Let's face it, it's not the sort of thing you'd lie about. Most pretend they aren't one!
    he just wanted to ride the coat tails of the cool kids....
  • Anyway back to club cricket - if you haven’t looked at my thread re Iggy Day at Hesketh Park, Dartford CC in August, please do so, and if you can come along - weather permitting I reckon it will be a great day 
  • edited June 30
    We went away to Writtle 2s with a much changed team and a lack of batting when my son and me are due in at 4 &5 
    we lost the toss and were fielding on a road with a slight slope but an outfield as quick as I’d ever seen .
    we took a couple of early wickets courtesy of a running diving worldie by yours truly and then a regulation by boffin , he said he didn’t feel comfortable which was a prelude to him then going on to drop 3 (two dollys) ffs I took an easier catch and then had a cheeky one stump run out from 20 yards . None of which improved the sulky teenagers mood as he was getting slapped a bit bowling and he got taken off for me to bowl the last 3 overs from one end for my first league bowl of the season 3 overs 2 for 17 and a couple of drops or shall I say no attempts by our lame fielders saw the oppo end at 184/8 in Their 40 overs .
    we’d Given them at least 40 too many with 7 drops loads of misfields .
    *i got called a no ball for not grounding my Foot behind the line but it was in the air behind the line , their umpire (player) changed his decision after a discussion 
    we lost a couple of earlyish wickets against pudding bowling and boffin (40) went out there and got 100 ish partnership with our skipper to bring us close and I hit an unbeaten 24 not out to take us home with 5 overs spare .
    **boffin got caught somehow scooping up a second ball bounce (before the crease) two young dithery umpires (our players) didn’t immediately give a no ball  , my son said that’s a no ball surely and our umpire then gives a no ball and a couple of their players got aggy saying you can’t influence the umpire and they didn’t give it quick enough , my son said oh I didn’t realise there was a time limit and then more verbals where our skipper got involved and the game got a bit tetchy .

discussions continued a bit after the game with a few teardrops from a couple of the oppo and a couple of their older folks watching 

so a win and with second  placed Terling losing we should really win the league comfortably 

can someone confirm that these laws were in fact correct but I don’t know what the etiquette is regarding waking up he umpires to the correct decision.

pleasant journey home as my eldest accepted I was the family cricket 🔫 for now .

away fixture at North Enfield for us both today means we’ll miss Englands footy win 

• edited June 30
    Another one for our umpiring experts , our skipper keeps wicket and has a bugbear with players running down the middle of the track whilst batting (it probably improves our home wicket)
    A few of us are on it and look for how long it Takes for his first moan up , 4th ball yesterday probably their first run .
    Some players continue to do it cos they’re thick and no attempt at any skullduggery but after repeated warnings no one has a clue what the real procedure is , any ideas what the protocol should be ?
  • Warning then 5 run penalty for each instance I think
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Anyway I had a decent day. Rocked up at the start and walked out to look at the pitch. Announced to everyone within earshot that I was 'taking a 5-fer on this'. Confident indeed considering I'm 37 and had never taken a league 5-fer ever.

Reader, I took 6. Featuring a middle-order hat-trick. And maybe a little help from our new Collingwood impressionist at long-on
    Just brilliant LJ
  • Down in East Sussex Sidley 2s entertained Bexhill strikers at St Mary's yesterday .The visitors chalked up 210 although extras scored heavily and our best bowler ( me ) missed out on his full quota .Despite this he took 3-24 .In reply we got to 188 with the author contributing 16 in 60 run partnership. Good to be involved in a competitive game of cricket played in a good spirit 

• We went away to Writtle 2s with a much changed team and a lack of batting when my son and me are due in at 4 &5 
    we lost the toss and were fielding on a road with a slight slope but an outfield as quick as I’d ever seen .
    we took a couple of early wickets courtesy of a running diving worldie by yours truly and then a regulation by boffin , he said he didn’t feel comfortable which was a prelude to him then going on to drop 3 (two dollys) ffs I took an easier catch and then had a cheeky one stump run out from 20 yards . None of which improved the sulky teenagers mood as he was getting slapped a bit bowling and he got taken off for me to bowl the last 3 overs from one end for my first league bowl of the season 3 overs 2 for 17 and a couple of drops or shall I say no attempts by our lame fielders saw the oppo end at 184/8 in Their 40 overs .
    we’d Given them at least 40 too many with 7 drops loads of misfields .
    *i got called a no ball for not grounding my Foot behind the line but it was in the air behind the line , their umpire (player) changed his decision after a discussion 
    we lost a couple of earlyish wickets against pudding bowling and boffin (40) went out there and got 100 ish partnership with our skipper to bring us close and I hit an unbeaten 24 not out to take us home with 5 overs spare .
    **boffin got caught somehow scooping up a second ball bounce (before the crease) two young dithery umpires (our players) didn’t immediately give a no ball  , my son said that’s a no ball surely and our umpire then gives a no ball and a couple of their players got aggy saying you can’t influence the umpire and they didn’t give it quick enough , my son said oh I didn’t realise there was a time limit and then more verbals where our skipper got involved and the game got a bit tetchy .

discussions continued a bit after the game with a few teardrops from a couple of the oppo and a couple of their older folks watching 

so a win and with second  placed Terling losing we should really win the league comfortably 

can someone confirm that these laws were in fact correct but I don’t know what the etiquette is regarding waking up he umpires to the correct decision.

pleasant journey home as my eldest accepted I was the family cricket 🔫 for now .

away fixture at North Enfield for us both today means we’ll miss Englands footy win 

@Pedro45
  • Going again today, hopefully it'll all be done so I can get back in time for the football. Not England, ofc, but the game that's going (probably) to be a cracker...
  • Copy and paste from many previous weeks. Bickley Park didn't get enough runs (rolled for 129 mainly thanks to Will MacVicar having the ball on a string, one brilliant run out from Alex Blake and another, rather more fortunate one where a batsman was out backing up) and Hayes got them for the loss of 4 wickets.

Bickley are now bottom, albeit not down IF they can start to turn things around. Big game next week against Canterbury who are also nearer last than first. Meanwhile, at the other end of the table, Minster won their 7th game from 8 and are now 23 points clear at the top. 
  • I hate Batters who run down the middle of the pitch and warn them at the first instance. I normally give them two friendly chats then a first and final official warning, then it's five penalty runs every time after that. Important to let your colleague know so you don't double up on friendly warnings. Also it's a team warning so you have to let every new batter know where the warnings are at.

Double bouncers before the popping crease should be called and signalled as no balls. 

Don't have my laws to hand so cannot quote them here. 
  • Oh, and influencing the umpire is basically dissent, which is a level one offence. A friendly word can help but once reminded let the umpire do his job. ;-)
  • Pedro45 said:
    I hate Batters who run down the middle of the pitch and warn them at the first instance. I normally give them two friendly chats then a first and final official warning, then it's five penalty runs every time after that. Important to let your colleague know so you don't double up on friendly warnings. Also it's a team warning so you have to let every new batter know where the warnings are at.

Double bouncers before the popping crease should be called and signalled as no balls. 

Don't have my laws to hand so cannot quote them here. 
    Have you given 5 penalty runs many times for running down the middle of the track