Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

19495969798100»

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Good game. I'm just amazed to see that St Peters managed to get 4 points from such an abject performance!

Bloody hell, and I thought the Dartford match I watched last Sunday was a mismatch !!!
    And the big difference is that this was a League game and not a friendly so the teams should be relatively close in ability. 
    Have you been following OCs' League results this season? 
    I must admit I hadn't been but even though all the teams are seemingly struggling, none have lost by anything like 290 runs. Have you lost a few players at the top which has then fed down through the teams? 
    Well, we've still not recovered from losing our entire second team, but we have lost players from the top too. We have a LOT of (good) third-team-standard players at the club now. Didn't help that at least 4 first-teamers were at Wembley to cheer on their mate (the losing goalkeeper)
    The one was once in the Kent Cricket Academy
    Yes, Nathan Baxter, who opened the batting with Zak Crawley in the Kent age groups - until Chelsea banned him from playing cricket at age 15 or so. Maybe he’ll return one day as a 35 year old veteran! 

I played against a precocious 14 year old bowler on Friday, Evan N’da-Koffi, who is in Kent’s emerging player programme. Evan, playing for his school St Dunstan’s, had us (the Forty Club) in all sorts of trouble at 24-5 in an all day match, including me to an outrageous delivery that pitched well outside off, cut me in half and hit the top of middle, breaking a stump and bail in the process. I remember he also got me out last year, with the slight difference that I had scored 78 by then rather than 4. One to watch for the future. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Good game. I'm just amazed to see that St Peters managed to get 4 points from such an abject performance!

Bloody hell, and I thought the Dartford match I watched last Sunday was a mismatch !!!
    And the big difference is that this was a League game and not a friendly so the teams should be relatively close in ability. 
    Have you been following OCs' League results this season? 
    My advice: don’t 
  • Options
    Presume you'll guess what my comment will be re this young player....

"Hands orf !" Surrey ! 
  • Options
    8 not out yesterday we chased a guff 86 for the loss of 2 wickets to go second in the league 
    10 and out today where we only managed 110 all out oppo got there easily 
    first time I’ve been out in 9 innings (6 of them were moody indoor cricket 🙄 )

all of a sudden I don’t bowl anymore Ffs cos I’ve batted a bit 
    Made an easy catch look hard  , bad eyesight , slightly arthritic hands , fuck getting old 

• Options
    A case of déjà vu for Bickley 1s yesterday - so many good aspects but not quite good enough to get across the line.

Asked to bat by Lordswood, the openers, for the second week in a row, enjoyed a 50 run opening partnership before one of those communication breakdowns that resulted in the two shaking hands in the middle as a result of one of those classic "yes/no/sorry" moments. With the score at 132-1 and even 170-3 (Hooper 83), the platform was set for a score in the region of 230 and then disaster - 5 wickets, including 4 ducks, for 3 runs and Bickley found themselves 173-8. Seb stuck around for a bit longer before he was cleaned up trying to hit Ntini (SA U19, KZN and son of Makhaya) over the top for 29 (33). Bickley managed to crawl over the maximum batting bonus line with a score of 202-9.

It was a similar tale for Lordswood in their innings. At one point they were 146-2 but then lost wickets steadily (including Calum MacLeod for a second ball duck) and the game was in the balance with the score on 172-7. However, an unbeaten 31 off 23 from Taylor got them over the line with a little over 3 overs to spare.

So, no cigar, but competitive for the second week on the trot as reflected by the fact that they have picked up 13/16 bonus points to date. At the Nevill next week to face a somewhat wounded animal in the shape of Tunbridge Wells. Who would have predicted that one of a lot people's favourites to win would have just 6 points after 2 matches?  

We did have one slightly controversial thing happen. After about 12 overs and 50 runs on the board, one of the Umpires said that the ball wouldn't go through the gauge i.e. as a result of the residual water from morning rain, it had swollen. Now, unlike international matches, clubs don't have a box of replacement balls available for all overs it has been used for and certainly not one that old. The fact that the ball had gone soft was as a result of the conditions (remember Lordswood elected to bowl) but there was no way they were going to accept a ball that had already been played with for any duration. Equally, Bickley won't going to allow them to have a brand new cherry. So a new ball was picked and the Bickley captain spent 5 minutes smashing it into the ground to replicate the one that had been discarded. But, of course, there's no way that would be in a similar state, bearing the mind the number of times that it had been hit and the prevalent wet conditions on the day. 
  • Options
    dev said:
    My eldest played for D&B on Saturday at Loring Hall vs Bexley...and playing & umpiring was Stevie Gritt!

When I tell him about Gritty it's like talking about the moon landing! Felt very old.
    I posted the scorecard for the match above
  • Options
    A case of déjà vu for Bickley 1s yesterday - so many good aspects but not quite good enough to get across the line.

Asked to bat by Lordswood, the openers, for the second week in a row, enjoyed a 50 run opening partnership before one of those communication breakdowns that resulted in the two shaking hands in the middle as a result of one of those classic "yes/no/sorry" moments. With the score at 132-1 and even 170-3 (Hooper 83), the platform was set for a score in the region of 230 and then disaster - 5 wickets, including 4 ducks, for 3 runs and Bickley found themselves 173-8. Seb stuck around for a bit longer before he was cleaned up trying to hit Ntini (SA U19, KZN and son of Makhaya) over the top for 29 (33). Bickley managed to crawl over the maximum batting bonus line with a score of 202-9.

It was a similar tale for Lordswood in their innings. At one point they were 146-2 but then lost wickets steadily (including Calum MacLeod for a second ball duck) and the game was in the balance with the score on 172-7. However, an unbeaten 31 off 23 from Taylor got them over the line with a little over 3 overs to spare.

So, no cigar, but competitive for the second week on the trot as reflected by the fact that they have picked up 13/16 bonus points to date. At the Nevill next week to face a somewhat wounded animal in the shape of Tunbridge Wells. Who would have predicted that one of a lot people's favourites to win would have just 6 points after 2 matches?  

We did have one slightly controversial thing happen. After about 12 overs and 50 runs on the board, one of the Umpires said that the ball wouldn't go through the gauge i.e. as a result of the residual water from morning rain, it had swollen. Now, unlike international matches, clubs don't have a box of replacement balls available for all overs it has been used for and certainly not one that old. The fact that the ball had gone soft was as a result of the conditions (remember Lordswood elected to bowl) but there was no way they were going to accept a ball that had already been played with for any duration. Equally, Bickley won't going to allow them to have a brand new cherry. So a new ball was picked and the Bickley captain spent 5 minutes smashing it into the ground to replicate the one that had been discarded. But, of course, there's no way that would be in a similar state, bearing the mind the number of times that it had been hit and the prevalent wet conditions on the day. 
    Did I read somewhere that there are time limits in the prem this year to bowl the overs ? How’s this going ? 
  • Options

Did I read somewhere that there are time limits in the prem this year to bowl the overs ? How’s this going ? 
    I haven't noticed anything different in the two games I've watched presumably because the overs have been bowled in due time. Up to two thirds of Bickley's overs are bowled by spinners and allowances for incidents such as the above one would need to be made in any event. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 20

Yes, the usual 3hrs 10 mins, but drinks are now included in that. Any additional time lost is added at the umpires discretion. Whereas previously teams were reported (or not) if they exceeded playing time and lost a point, now once you reach the cut off time then an additional player has to remain inside the circle for the duration. It's instant action and the cut off time as it adjusts is informed to the captain at the end of each over when it changes.

I was shocked last week when umpiring Blackheath to find they were actually inside the time limit at halfway! A big change from last year!

No teams have fallen foul of the new reg so far as far as I know.
  • Options
    All done and dusted in 3 hours 
    we bowled oppo out for 60 and knocked them off in 10 overs and a bit without loss 
    a TFC again for me we’ve rolled teams and knocked em off 3 or 4 times this year but we don’t get max points cos we haven’t batted and scored 200+
  • Options
    All done and dusted in 3 hours 
    we bowled oppo out for 60 and knocked them off in 10 overs and a bit without loss 
    a TFC again for me we’ve rolled teams and knocked em off 3 or 4 times this year but we don’t get max points cos we haven’t batted and scored 200+
    Seems a bit harsh!
  • Options
    It was the meeting of two of the three clubs that Seb and I are current members of namely Bickley Park at home to Bexley (the third one being Sidcup). Always good to see old friends. And what a game we had!

Bexley won the toss and elected to bat. The general feeling was 200 would be par so Bexley's 190-9 wasn't too far short although, having been 146-4 off 40 overs, they might have felt slightly disappointed. In reply, Bickley looked like cruising to victory at 110-1 off 23 overs. However a Bickley innings wouldn't be an entertaining one without their usual collapse (including Seb who was bowled by his mate Jas Singh for half a dozen runs) and at 161-8 and then 173-9, it looked all over for them. But an undefeated last wicket stand of 21 saw Bickley home by 1 wicket with just 3 balls to spare!

The KPL is ridiculously tight this season and unpredictable. For example, undefeated top of the table, Lordswood, hosted winless Tunbridge Wells and of course TW ran out winners by 6 wickets with more than 15 overs to go! So we now have the situation with three lots of three teams having won three, two and one games respectively. Or, put another way, three lots of three times having lost three, two and one games respectively. Total symmetry albeit that bonus points have had their way with Minster top (Bickley's opponents next week) and TW still bottom but a lot closer to safety than they were prior to today.    
  • Options
    The KCL Prem is close this year.  I've done Minster twice now (won both) and Bexley, Canterbury, Hayes and Blackheath. I have Tunbridge Wells against Sandwich next week.
  • Options
    In case anyone hasn't heard about this, yes this is the former SL legend playing in the 5th Tier of the Dorset Cricket League. He also returned bowling figures of 7-0-32-1

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've never seen a team win a game having faced one ball before!!! Checkely managed 3 off the bat in 10.1 overs and then bowled a "no ball" that went for 4 followed by the free hit getting the same treatment. 

That was a cup game! The previous day I see 5 of them were involved in the league as they scored over 200 and won handsomely (which they seem to do every week), so I suspect some sort of drinking may have been involved here, perhaps even from before the outset 
  • Options
    Bickley Park travelled to joint top of the table Minster yesterday. And were trounced.

Things might have been so much different had the man with 8,118 League runs, Dan Sticklels, not been dropped twice and then "caught" by Seb off a "no ball" before he had made 20. Stickels made Bickley well and truly suffer with 125 off 89 balls, backed up by 68 from David Masters and 71* from Kai Appelby with Minster accumulating a massive 354-6. Bickley gave it a good go and reached their 100 inside 14 overs but eventually ran out of steam to be 180 all out off 31.5. Seb was top scorer with 49 including 4 fours and 4 sixes. 

Minster remain unseparated at the head of the table with St Lawrence & HC and 14 points clear of third place Lordswood. There is then little more than one win between them and bottom placed Sandwich. Bickley host Blackheath next Saturday and everything still very much to play for. 
  • Options
    edited June 9
    PaddyP17 said:
    Mark Twain once said, "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Well, the cricketing equivalent of that happened on Monday for me. In a game that was eventually abandoned due to rain, I snagged the Beckenham 2nd XI's overseas, Cal Gabriel, with the rankest, slowest full toss I've bowled in about two years. After some admittedly decent stuff from me, he quite rightly tried to hit this ball into the next decade, but got through it too early, top edging and succeeding in dollying it up over the shoulder of one Jas Bassan (Blackheath 1s), turning out for the Waggoners in a rare appearance, who took a good catch at mid-wicket.

My figures of 7-0-19-3 were very flattering considering I spent much of my spell bowling at Rithik Hari and the aforementioned Gabriel, and then the slog machine Las Dissanayake, who I fully expected to cart me everywhere. Turns out there was a lot of respect for me, but Jas (a fellow SLA) got hit for one of the cleanest sixes I've ever seen by Rithik.

Sunday wasn't too bad at New Beckenham either: 3-43 off my 8 in another abandoned game where we needed two wickets to win. My brand of pie-chucking is still doing the job it seems. Roll on Saturday!
    The wickets keep coming for you Paddy with, I see, 5 yesterday. Great to see!

PS Ask your Sunday team mate about his salmon like leaping catch for Bickley yesterday
  • Options
    edited June 9
    Bickley Park travelled to joint top of the table Minster yesterday. And were trounced.

Things might have been so much different had the man with 8,118 League runs, Dan Sticklels, not been dropped twice and then "caught" by Seb off a "no ball" before he had made 20. Stickels made Bickley well and truly suffer with 125 off 89 balls, backed up by 68 from David Masters and 71* from Kai Appelby with Minster accumulating a massive 354-6. Bickley gave it a good go and reached their 100 inside 14 overs but eventually ran out of steam to be 180 all out off 31.5. Seb was top scorer with 49 including 4 fours and 4 sixes. 

Minster remain unseparated at the head of the table with St Lawrence & HC and 14 points clear of third place Lordswood. There is then little more than one win between them and bottom placed Sandwich. Bickley host Blackheath next Saturday and everything still very much to play for. 
    I did the Tunbridge Wells vs Sandwich game, and was quite surprised to see that TW were not the top scorers on the day.  Ben Dawkins (recently selected to play for England u19) set them off at a rattling pace, and was out in the eleventh over with the score on 101! He scored 66 in 39 balls.  After that, things calmed down but with the 200 coming up in the 33rd over, an immense score seemed possible. Thankfully for the visitors, they bowled well in the latter overs with TW finishing on 294-6.

Sandwich never really got going, slipping to 38-3, before a solid 80-run partnership between Rory Smith (85) and Ryan Davies (39) gave a semblance of hope. When Davies was fourth out, the required run rate was over 8, and soon the heart was ripped out of the middle order by the three TW spinners (Huggett 4-27). It then became a different game with ST trying to reach 200 (maximum batting points), but they fell short in that respect too, losing their last wicket in the final over on 192.
  • Options
    edited June 9
    We got set 161 against Basildon & pitsea 3rds and we knocked em off comfortably 5 down
    my eldest son unceremoniously dropped in to the 2s (to play with an old Cnut like me) cos he had a weekend off last week to study for his A levels (he’s pony anyway but has a brain unlike 90% of cricketers)  was getting butchered by some of the biggest 6’s I’ve seen hit but he stayed brave and retuned 4-47 off his 8 overs 
    I’m utter shit,  got a lame 8 and out batting at 5 
    We’re top but playing 3rd and 2nd next two weekends , yesterdays victims were 3rd before we played them