Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Things I learnt from looking at Kent league results today 

L Jagger was out stumped batting at 10 in a losing cause.Muralidaran is one of his team mates....and tareiq Holmes-Dennis plays for Ows 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I'm never fucking umpiring again. Not with teammates like these 
    Give me some meat to the bones please 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    It's okay we sorted it out over a beer and they admitted they might have been plumb
  • Options
    Well it is safe to say that Bickley Park were well and truly Steveo'd today!!!

Invited to bat by St Lawrence & Highland Court (SLHC), Bickley set what appeared at face value a decent total of 210-9 off their 50 overs with the top scorer making 43. Stevens returned figures of 10-0-30-3. Remarkably, he wasn't the oldest player in SLHC's team as they had another former Kent seamer in the shape of Ben Trott (10-1-47-2) with their overseas, Jason Sangh, returning 9-0-32-2.

At 43-3 and with Sangha already back in the hutch, Bickley were on top. In strode Steveo and that was that - still there at the end on 114 off 140 balls as SLHC won by 4 wickets with a little more than 3 overs to spare. Such was his dominance that the other seven SLHC batters made just 76 runs off 138 balls between them.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    It's okay we sorted it out over a beer and they admitted they might have been plumb
    In the same match, I was run out for 0 when my batting partner hit a high full toss straight down mid on’s throat. Not realising @Leuth had (correctly) called a no ball, I was firstly almost run out at the bowler’s end, then horrified to find my batting partner unaccountably standing right next to me. I set off in vain for the other end and was run out by half the length of the pitch. 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    In the same match, I was run out for 0 when my batting partner hit a high full toss straight down mid on’s throat. Not realising @Leuth had (correctly) called a no ball, I was firstly almost run out at the bowler’s end, then horrified to find my batting partner unaccountably standing right next to me. I set off in vain for the other end and was run out by half the length of the pitch. 
    Was that a run out any balls faced, which, I believe, is called a Platinum Duck? It happened to me once when I came in at the end of an over. First ball of the next over, my partner straight drives, bowler gets a hand to it, the ball hits the wicket and I’m backing up too far. Out without facing a ball and only on the pitch for one ball. I seem to remember dropping a catch at slip in the first over when the opposition batted and the bloke I dropped scored a hatful. A really great day out. Thanks for the memory.
  • Options
    Following on from this. I witnessed Gary Ballance playing for Yorkshire against Sussex being run out for 2 ‘without facing a ball’. He was run out going for a third run off a no ball. Presumably, this made his scoring rate infinity.
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Was that a run out any balls faced, which, I believe, is called a Platinum Duck? It happened to me once when I came in at the end of an over. First ball of the next over, my partner straight drives, bowler gets a hand to it, the ball hits the wicket and I’m backing up too far. Out without facing a ball and only on the pitch for one ball. I seem to remember dropping a catch at slip in the first over when the opposition batted and the bloke I dropped scored a hatful. A really great day out. Thanks for the memory.
    Haha. No, I survived long enough to fend off an over of Forid Ahmed attacking my ankles. 
  • Options
    Not quite club cricket but i recently heard about cricket for over 50s akin to Charlton Community Trusts popular Walking football. Kent CC have a few venues in (of all places Kent) and are planning to open one in Greenwich. Like WF* it's a version where players walk not run and for all levels. If any one is interested I can post the email of the person running it for KCC.

*Not that The Tuesday sessions at 10.30 at Goals Eltham stick to walking!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:
    Not quite club cricket but i recently heard about cricket for over 50s akin to Charlton Community Trusts popular Walking football. Kent CC have a few venues in (of all places Kent) and are planning to open one in Greenwich. Like WF* it's a version where players walk not run and for all levels. If any one is interested I can post the email of the person running it for KCC.

*Not that The Tuesday sessions at 10.30 at Goals Eltham stick to walking!!
    Walking Cricket is great ..play it twice a week at Bexhill..oldest player we have is 82 ..heard that Kent are getting involved which is good as that might mean more opposition 
  • Options
    I had the pleasure of watching mate of mine play for Dartford on Sunday in this match - hilarious watch, incl oppo opening bowler’s first ball full toss going about 6 feet over the batsman’s head, an oppo fielder trying to stop the ball with his foot but actually kicking it for 4, and an oppo spinner who regularly bowled balls that bounced 3 or 4 times !!!

• Options
    At least Dartford batted first otherwise it’d have been done in no time 
  • Options
    presume Dartford's Thomas Lowrie is son of James Lowrie who I went to school with and used to play for Dartford back in the day.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    presume Dartford's Thomas Lowrie is son of James Lowrie who I went to school with and used to play for Dartford back in the day.
    It is indeed - Jim is one of my best mates - CAFC season ticket holder, I sit with him and Tom and we do loads of away games together as well - Jim now plays for Horton Kirby, although I think he should be playing a higher level than that - both are good batsmen - Jim was a Kent Colt in his youth

Jim and I watched on Sunday with a fair few beers, crying with laughter about how bad the oppo were - to quote Jim ‘SO village’ 😂😂
  • Options
    Following on from this. I witnessed Gary Ballance playing for Yorkshire against Sussex being run out for 2 ‘without facing a ball’. He was run out going for a third run off a no ball. Presumably, this made his scoring rate infinity.
    No balls count as balls faced for the batsman
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    It is indeed - Jim is one of my best mates - CAFC season ticket holder, I sit with him and Tom and we do loads of away games together as well - Jim now plays for Horton Kirby, although I think he should be playing a higher level than that - both are good batsmen - Jim was a Kent Colt in his youth

Jim and I watched on Sunday with a fair few beers, crying with laughter about how bad the oppo were - to quote Jim ‘SO village’ 😂😂
    when did he change to Charlton ?
    Sure he was arsenal at school.

Even at school he was an elegant looking batsman - almost Gower-esque being a lefty.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

when did he change to Charlton ?
    Sure he was arsenal at school.

Even at school he was an elegant looking batsman - almost Gower-esque being a lefty.
    I’ve only known Jim since early 1990’s when he joined my Sunday league football team, so I don’t know about the Arsenal thing - I know he went to watch us at Selhurst
  • Options

An absolute humdinger in KCL Div 12 Underwood on Saturday!
  • Options
    edited May 18
    Good game. I'm just amazed to see that St Peters managed to get 4 points from such an abject performance!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good game. I'm just amazed to see that St Peters managed to get 4 points from such an abject performance!

My local friend tells me that St Peters got four bonus bowling points. I’m assuming if Brighton & Hove had scored 620/5, they would still have come away with four points.
  • Options
    They got crucified. Upside down
  • Options
    A case of déjà vu for Bickley 1s yesterday - so many good aspects but not quite good enough to get across the line.

Asked to bat by Lordswood, the openers, for the second week in a row, enjoyed a 50 run opening partnership before one of those communication breakdowns that resulted in the two shaking hands in the middle as a result of one of those classic "yes/no/sorry" moments. With the score at 132-1 and even 170-3 (Hooper 83), the platform was set for a score in the region of 230 and then disaster - 5 wickets, including 4 ducks, for 3 runs and Bickley found themselves 173-8. Seb stuck around for a bit longer before he was cleaned up trying to hit Ntini (SA U19, KZN and son of Makhaya) over the top for 29 (33). Bickley managed to crawl over the maximum batting bonus line with a score of 202-9.

It was a similar tale for Lordswood in their innings. At one point they were 146-2 but then lost wickets steadily (including Calum MacLeod for a second ball duck) and the game was in the balance with the score on 172-7. However, an unbeaten 31 off 23 from Taylor got them over the line with a little over 3 overs to spare.

So, no cigar, but competitive for the second week on the trot as reflected by the fact that they have picked up 13/16 bonus points to date. At the Nevill next week to face a somewhat wounded animal in the shape of Tunbridge Wells. Who would have predicted that one of a lot people's favourites to win would have just 6 points after 2 matches?  

• Options

Bloody hell, and I thought the Dartford match I watched last Sunday was a mismatch !!!
  • Options

Bloody hell, and I thought the Dartford match I watched last Sunday was a mismatch !!!
    And the big difference is that this was a League game and not a friendly so the teams should be relatively close in ability. 
  • Options

And the big difference is that this was a League game and not a friendly so the teams should be relatively close in ability. 
    Have you been following OCs' League results this season? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I must admit I hadn't been but even though all the teams are seemingly struggling, none have lost by anything like 290 runs. Have you lost a few players at the top which has then fed down through the teams? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I must admit I hadn't been but even though all the teams are seemingly struggling, none have lost by anything like 290 runs. Have you lost a few players at the top which has then fed down through the teams? 
    Well, we've still not recovered from losing our entire second team, but we have lost players from the top too. We have a LOT of (good) third-team-standard players at the club now. Didn't help that at least 4 first-teamers were at Wembley to cheer on their mate (the losing goalkeeper)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Well, we've still not recovered from losing our entire second team, but we have lost players from the top too. We have a LOT of (good) third-team-standard players at the club now. Didn't help that at least 4 first-teamers were at Wembley to cheer on their mate (the losing goalkeeper)
    The one was once in the Kent Cricket Academy
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

The one was once in the Kent Cricket Academy
    Indeed! The pride and sorrow of OCs...