Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Lolwray turned out for Sidley 1s in Sussex cricket league division 11 South ( East) in the final game of the season..ended up well beaten by Seaford 3s who won a promotion decider. 6 overs 1-19 .

• Options
    No-one cheering on Bexley at Lords today?
  • Options
    No-one cheering on Bexley at Lords today?
    Doing so from a distance. Bexley were put in and made 219-9 off 40. Short boundary one side so might be slightly disappointed especially as they were 106-2 at the half way stage but they do have a very good bowling attack so might well be able to defend that. 
  • Options
    Bexley came incredibly close to retaining the National Club trophy. Despite looking for most of the innings that Cuckney were in control, Bexley managed to squeeze things in the latter stages to the extent that their opposition needed two off the final ball to win. Amazingly, the same bowler as last year, Shaun Evans, had the pressure of delivering that ball but whereas Nantwich failed to do so, somehow Cuckney scrambled home - scores tied but Cuckney win on countback. Very unlucky for Bexley but you wouldn't put money against them making a third consecutive appearance at Lord's next season.  

• Options
    Went to the final today. Good game and a tense finish but some disappointing behaviour from one or two players. Bexley bowler was spoken to by the umpires (maybe for being overly aggressive?) and a Cuckney batsman refused to go for a run-out. That must be a first at Lords.

Bexley should have made 240 but some daft shots late on cost them....as did seemingly only having five bowlers. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Went to the final today. Good game and a tense finish but some disappointing behaviour from one or two players. Bexley bowler was spoken to by the umpires (maybe for being overly aggressive?) and a Cuckney batsman refused to go for a run-out. That must be a first at Lords.

Bexley should have made 240 but some daft shots late on cost them....as did seemingly only having five bowlers. 
    As I said at the half way stage, they would have been disappointed to only get 219 having been 106-2 at half way. At least two of their side from last year were missing - presumably Kent wouldn't release Jas Singh to play and they lost Adam Ball at the start of the season as he moved areas to live. Either would have given them that sixth bowling option and Ball would have been a massive plus given that he would strengthen the batting too. 
  • Options
    Are you allowed to play County cricketers in The National?

Looked like they gambled a bit on five bowlers and the young opening bowler Dowling struggled a bit once the ball had lost its shine plus he tired in the heat. 

• Options
    With the league season over our club had two friendlies against weaker opposition but both sides had some youngsters 

we set 209 in our 40 over game against North Weald and I came in for the last 5 overs or so at no.6 and couldn’t get bat on ball cos the openers were back on and my eyesight not great and prolly helped us get 50 in that time . 
    My 17 year old came in and proceeded to kill me with us running a 4 and a 3 in consecutive balls in that poxy heat .
    he got a quick fire 19 off 8 where as my 4 off about 10 and 2 of them off the edge were pathetic my best contributions were attempted reverse scoop that confused the keeper and got 4 byes and the same for a reverse sweep 🙄

I then had the wrong type of runs and in the first ten overs had to go off 3 times , first time I’d used khazi in our small park clubhouse the men’s was disgusting and there was too much water in there and I wasn’t convinced by the flush so went in to the womens and that had a decent flush , my Delhi belly was carnage .
    as I came off the first time I saw a 4 then another 4 and a wicket oppo were 3 down in no time .
    then when 5 down they had a go think a partnership of 90-100 but I got their gun out having been sledged by my two sons at mid off and mid on as I bowled a couple of bad balls in first over that went for ten .
    oppo ended 50ish short and 8 down 
    boffin had 5 wickets off 8 overs for 12
    peter Kay with some generous umpiring 6 overs 2 wickets 8 runs and got away with bowling against some old farts and kids 
    I had 1-31 in my 6 overs 
    so got truly slated 
    Kay took a blinding catch off boffins bowling and I took a dolly off Kay’s bowling 
    So it was a nice family affair as they both slated me for being shit on the way home .
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    2nd Innings; last ball of the 35th over with the score at 190-3; run-out controversy. I can't see what the batsmen are getting upset about but maybe someone else can?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohpDhnrRmME 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Are you allowed to play County cricketers in The National?

Looked like they gambled a bit on five bowlers and the young opening bowler Dowling struggled a bit once the ball had lost its shine plus he tired in the heat. 

Jas played in last year's final and he was contracted then to Kent
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Simonsen said:
    2nd Innings; last ball of the 35th over with the score at 190-3; run-out controversy. I can't see what the batsmen are getting upset about but maybe someone else can?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohpDhnrRmME 
    The bails are actually off before the keeper gets the ball.  His backside detaches them as the ball gets to him. He then effectively knocks middle stump out of the ground. There is still no excuse for the behaviour of the batsman. 
  • Options
    The incident is easier to find if one clicks on the arrow next to Langford in the Cuckney innings

https://bexley.play-cricket.com/website/results/6048621 
  • Options
    I was at Lords yesterday, an excellent day out. The game played largely in a good spirit. A last ball defeat is as horrendous way to end the day. However, Bexley suffered with 4 of the order failing to score a single run, so were fortunate to take it so close.  Probably about 1400 there 800 Bexley 200 Cuckney and 200 undecided.
  • Options
    Sidcup have just become the Kent T20 Champions. They've had an excellent season given that they have also been promoted to the 3rd tier of the Kent League. 
  • Options
    Used to play against Simba Project in the 80s.
    They were a Sunday side then but had some very good, typical West Indian style players.
    Was always a fixture we looked forward to as they would make a day of it in the bar whatever the outcome on the pitch.
  • Options
    Well the Vine aren't wasting any time in an attempt to get back to the Premier League at the first attempt. They've signed Tom Richards, the Tenterden captain who was certainly at one time one of the best seamers in the PL (and he can bat too)

• Options
    Well the Vine aren't wasting any time in an attempt to get back to the Premier League at the first attempt. They've signed Tom Richards, the Tenterden captain who was certainly at one time one of the best seamers in the PL (and he can bat too)

A very good player, and Tenterden stalwart for a lot of years.  Good signing for the Vine, who were desperately short of opening bowlers last year.....
  • Options
    Maybe he's moved house ? Bit of a schlep from Sevenoaks to Tenterden.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:

A very good player, and Tenterden stalwart for a lot of years.  Good signing for the Vine, who were desperately short of opening bowlers last year.....

The Vine are determined to get back to the PL at the first time of asking and in doing so rectify their obvious weakness in the fast bowling department - they have, in addition to Tom Richards, now signed Kent's new recruit George Garrett.
  • Options
    I see that next season the Kent Premier League will follow a lot of the other Leagues:

First Half – White Clothing / Red Ball – Dukes

Second Half – Coloured Clothing / Pink Ball – Kookaburra 
  • Options
    I see that next season the Kent Premier League will follow a lot of the other Leagues:

First Half – White Clothing / Red Ball – Dukes

Second Half – Coloured Clothing / Pink Ball – Kookaburra 
    Yes, pain in the bum really, but it's what the captains want! We'll probably run short of pink balls (like we did when we had half season Reader's/Dukes) when they start getting smashed out of the ground and no (similar quality) replacements are available...

The other "interesting" change is that teams will now be told the time they have to finish their overs at during the game, although it's a moving feast with any delays being added as they occur. The first team fielding will, on a "normal" day, have to finish by 3.10pm, plus any allowance for drinks/delays etc. Umpires will have to tell the captain every time the finish time moves back... It should prevent teams (including the oppo) not knowing when their time is up (two Premier league teams got knocked a point last season for slow play/late finishes). How this works in practice will be fun!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

The Vine are determined to get back to the PL at the first time of asking and in doing so rectify their obvious weakness in the fast bowling department - they have, in addition to Tom Richards, now signed Kent's new recruit George Garrett.
    They've lost Logan though....

𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗠𝗘𝗥 𝗞𝗘𝗡𝗧 𝗠𝗔𝗡 𝗦𝗜𝗚𝗡𝗦 𝗢𝗡 𝗙𝗢𝗥 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟰 |
    We're delighted to confirm that spin bowling all rounder James Logan has signed for Broxbourne Cricket Club ahead of their 2024 Hertfordshire Cricket League campaign.
    The former Kent left hand spinner is currently plying his trade for Brighton District in Australia, in which he scored 58 off 85 at the weekend.
    Having played First Class, Royal London Cup and Vitality Blast James comes with bags of experience that will be of benefit to the club.
    Well done James, keep going in Australia and we'll see you when you're back.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:

We're delighted to confirm that spin bowling all rounder James Logan has signed for Broxbourne Cricket Club ahead of their 2024 Hertfordshire Cricket League campaign.
    The former Kent left hand spinner is currently plying his trade for Brighton District in Australia, in which he scored 58 off 85 at the weekend.
    Having played First Class, Royal London Cup and Vitality Blast James comes with bags of experience that will be of benefit to the club.
    That is probably not that much of a loss given the fact that the Vine's lack of pace was very much their undoing - Logan wasn't that effective either last season in the KPL (10 wickets @ 36.30 and with an E/R of 5.35 wasn't a "container" either) and they do have to bowl spin the likes of Andrew Dick-Reid (22 wickets @ 23.64 and an E/R of 4.89) and Luke Schlemmer (19 wickets @ 21.26 and E/R of 4.58) who were their top wicket takers too. Could also see one of Seb's former Kent team mates, Harry Bevan-Thomas (Bunbury lad) getting more games in the 1s as he bowls left arm orthodox too.  
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:

That is probably not that much of a loss given the fact that the Vine's lack of pace was very much their undoing - Logan wasn't that effective either last season in the KPL (10 wickets @ 36.30 and with an E/R of 5.35 wasn't a "container" either) and they do have to bowl spin the likes of Andrew Dick-Reid (22 wickets @ 23.64 and an E/R of 4.89) and Luke Schlemmer (19 wickets @ 21.26 and E/R of 4.58) who were their top wicket takers too. Could also see one of Seb's former Kent team mates, Harry Bevan-Thomas (Bunbury lad) getting more games in the 1s as he bowls left arm orthodox too.  
    With that many spinners they will be preparing the vine like a 10th day Karachi pitch ! 
  • Options
    edited January 16
    Ed Moore, who has played for Minster for the last three years and captained them in the last couple, has been called up for the SA squad for their two match series against NZ. Interestingly, he is registered on the World Cricket Exchange as now being available - "Eddie is seeking to play in the UK yet again and will be a popular choice for UK clubs for next summer that seek a prolific, high-end Top Order batsman that is capable of bowling better than useful off-spin."

Replacing someone who averages almost 50 in the Kent League isn't going to be easy. 
  • Options
    Ed Moore, who has played for Minster for the last three years and captained them in the last couple, has been called up for the SA squad for their two match series against NZ. Interestingly, he is registered on the World Cricket Exchange as now being available - "Eddie is seeking to play in the UK yet again and will be a popular choice for UK clubs for next summer that seek a prolific, high-end Top Order batsman that is capable of bowling better than useful off-spin."

Replacing someone who averages almost 50 in the Kent League isn't going to be easy. 
    Update - Moore has signed for 2024 for Todmorden CC who play in the Lancashire League, despite the fact that their ground is, actually, situated in West Yorkshire!
  • Options
    Sidcup's overseas this season is Pranav Dhanawade. Who is he I hear you ask?

Well, this is the lad who, when at school, scored 1009* out of a total of 1465-3 dec off 94 overs in a "game" which his team won by the small matter of an innings and 1382. This is the scorecard for those who haven't seen it before.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/bhandari-cup-2015-16-958395/kc-gandhi-english-school-vs-arya-gurukul-cbse-958397/full-scorecard

It's fair to say that his career hasn't quite matched his record breaking school exploits - he played for Northwich in the Cheshire League Div 3 for the last two seasons where he hit 204* off 105 balls in a cup game out of a total of 389-1 off 40 overs. 

To all of Sidcup's opposition I would recommend getting him early because, if you don't, it might end up costing you in a big way!
  • Options
    Sidcup's overseas this season is Pranav Dhanawade. Who is he I hear you ask?

Well, this is the lad who, when at school, scored 1009* out of a total of 1465-3 dec off 94 overs in a "game" which his team won by the small matter of an innings and 1382. This is the scorecard for those who haven't seen it before.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/bhandari-cup-2015-16-958395/kc-gandhi-english-school-vs-arya-gurukul-cbse-958397/full-scorecard

It's fair to say that his career hasn't quite matched his record breaking school exploits - he played for Northwich in the Cheshire League Div 3 for the last two seasons where he hit 204* off 105 balls in a cup game out of a total of 389-1 off 40 overs. 

To all of Sidcup's opposition I would recommend getting him early because, if you don't, it might end up costing you in a big way!
    That's interesting; for a while they were after Chislehurst & West Kent's overseas from last year Jackson Mills. I might try to get a game there in their cricket week to see him play!

The league season gets nearer; the 9-game split of whites/red ball vs coloured clothing/two pink balls will be fun to manage in the Premier division, although it's the new Premier division umpires panel who are the ones who will need to cope with that.  The umpires will also have a key role in the new regulation regarding bowling rates, where if teams do not finish their overs on time they will now have one less fielder outside the circle once past that time. The updated finish time will need to be communicated to both teams at every game delay, and once past it, in comes a fielder (instead of a point penalty).  The new GCR (which replaces the VCC)  should put to bed any disciplinary matters that are not being dealt with properly across all of the leagues - it now looks fit for purpose and has independent arbiters should anyone wish to appeal. But the biggest contention this year could be the revised thunder/lightning GWL rule across all cricket - if you don't know the change, teams must now depart the field of play for 30 minutes immediately you hear or see either (without putting covers on!). That one may cause some consternation and controversy as the season wears on...