Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023
    One man stood between victory and Bickley Park retaining their top spot today. Byron "Buzz" Gould.

Bickley won the toss and elected to bat. 264 sounds a decent score but far too many of their batsmen got in and out and didn't take advantage of the dimensions of Whitstable's postage stamp ground.

From the very first ball of his innings, which was thumped to the sight screen, Gould was dominant. Eventually Bickley got him out for 144. Too late and Whitstable ended up winning by 3 wickets with half a dozen overs to spare.

So Bickley will have to pick themselves up for next week's fixture against OD CUACO whi have already beaten Bickley once this season.

I played against OD CUACO in Catford and cyphers cricket week a few years back and was very impressed by a few of their young players .No doubt they are maturing 
  • Options
    Doesn't help that at least one of the Bickley 1s players was nursing a big boy hangover - we had some birthday drinks for a friend
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Doesn't help that at least one of the Bickley 1s players was nursing a big boy hangover - we had some birthday drinks for a friend
    Came in at the end and scored a few and fielded OK too. Must admit that I thought the vocals were down a decibel or two though compared to the normal level!!! 
  • Options
    One man stood between victory and Bickley Park retaining their top spot today. Byron "Buzz" Gould.

Bickley won the toss and elected to bat. 264 sounds a decent score but far too many of their batsmen got in and out and didn't take advantage of the dimensions of Whitstable's postage stamp ground.

From the very first ball of his innings, which was thumped to the sight screen, Gould was dominant. Eventually Bickley got him out for 144. Too late and Whitstable ended up winning by 3 wickets with half a dozen overs to spare.

So Bickley will have to pick themselves up for next week's fixture against OD CUACO whi have already beaten Bickley once this season.

Didn't know the exact stats at the time of watching the game but the scorecard is up now - Gould scored his 144 off 120 balls and hit 15 fours and 7 sixes.

First time I've seen Gould in full flight. Anything that was in his arc and the ball went like an missile. Like all good batsman he knows which balls are ripe to take on and doesn't try to make the shot fit the ball. Interestingly, though, he wasn't anywhere near as effective against the extra pace and slightly shorter length (hip high) bowled by Magin as reflected by the fact that he "only" went for 23 off the bat off 42 balls. Magin also had him caught at slip earlier in the season and had him playing and missing a few times yesterday. Don't get me wrong, Gould can be an assassin with the bat and match winner as he proved yesterday but this probably serves to explain why he hasn't got further in the game than he has. He actually still played a Kent 2s T20 earlier in the season but made just 7 off 11 and hasn't played one since.    
  • Options
    I suspect that we won't be having many post match reports today. The forecast, sadly, looks horrid. 
  • Options
    Need these games called off early 
  • Options
    Being on a floodplain has its advantages 
    water sitting on there already 
    groundsman has called sons game off 
    poor fucker has to come to the valley now 
  • Options
    Wanstead v Bexley National club quarter final re arranged for Sunday 13th August. Winners away to Teddington in the semi.
  • Options
    Hayes and Bexley dithering about calling it off. Both captains are addicks. Hopefully we all get a trip to the Valley today....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Hayes and Bexley dithering about calling it off. Both captains are addicks. Hopefully we all get a trip to the Valley today....
    All the other matches are off in the Championship but the Bickley v ODCUACO match is the subject of unwavering, although some might say misguided, belief that they can get some sort of game
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    All the other matches are off in the Championship but the Bickley v ODCUACO match is the subject of unwavering, although some might say misguided, belief that they can get some sort of game
    Hopefully you made it to the Valley too - I did, but I don't know if Blake and Riley did....
  • Options
    Bickley Park's stuttering end to the season continued with another defeat, this time at the hands of Bromley

Having won the toss, Bickley elected to bat but soon found themselves in trouble at 51-4. An excellent partnership off 113 between Mevada and Magin, both out for 60, gave a semblance of hope that a score of 220 plus might be achievable. But then another collapse that included two unnecessary runs outs and Bickley lost their last five wickets for four runs but, more to the point, with five unused overs. 193 all out.

A early break through was a false dawn for Bickley as Mulla (74) and Greenleaf (41) shared a partnership of just under a hundred and despite being reduced to 166-6, Bromley ended up winning with just under four overs to spare. That last collapse of Bickley's proved to be the difference between the sides.

So Bickley are clinging on to a promotion place by two points with three games to go. They will have to win at least two of those to give themselves a chance and entertain Beckenham next weekend. Hopefully the players that have been missing recently will return to strengthen the side in that respect. 
  • Options
    As an illustration of how hard it can be to score runs in the KPL when bowlers are king on decks that are slow and inconsistent, these were the scored yesterday:

Bexley 231-8 (50) v Lordswood 234-7 (49.4)
    Hayes 124 AO (33.5) v Blackheath 123 AO (43.1)
    Sevenoaks Vine 173 AO (44) v Minster 107 AO (30.0)
    Tunbridge Wells 101 AO (32.1) v Sandwich 79 AO (24.3)
    Holmesdale 146 AO (35.3) v St Lwawrence 148-5 (31.4)

The Bexley v Lordswood game was the only one in which any player hit a 50 although Shaun Evans did manage 100* in that match
  • Options
    As an illustration of how hard it can be to score runs in the KPL when bowlers are king on decks that are slow and inconsistent, these were the scored yesterday:

The Bexley v Lordswood game was the only one in which any player hit a 50 although Shaun Evans did manage 100* in that match
    I umpired the Blackheath vs Hayes game; some truly terrible batting it has to be said. 

The deck was fairly green, but it was swing which caused most issues for the batters. Both McVicar (for Hayes) and Wells (for 'Heath) were out bowled shouldering arms to big in-duckers. Blake (Hayes) was out to a very ugly hoick across the line (another bowled) and Tanwar took three wickets in four balls and five in total. A last wicket stand of 24 for Hayes would eventually prove crucial. Blackheath bowled a totally seam attack, using just four bowlers.

Blackheath started OK with McVicar desperately unlucky in his opening spell. It was after drinks that it all collapsed for Blackheath, with McVicar's second spell and (ex-CWKCC youngster) Alfie Peck reeking havoc, and 60-2 became 100-7. By now (40 overs), Hayes had used up all of their (good) seam options, and Blake came on with his "it's all going to be down to me" hat on. Sure enough, his off-breaks picked up two wickets, and with the scores close, Blackheath's captain tried to see them home.  Sadly for him, the seemingly winning hit was plucked out of the air by a diving Peck at midwicket, and Hayes had a very unlikely win.

The game was marred by far to numerous appeals - every time the ball went through to the keeper or hit the pad, everyone seemed to go up. Every not out was queried and questioned, with astonished gazes when you explained why it was not out.  Of course the decisions which were given were also seemingly incorrect...

It also didn't help that the scoreboard wasn't consistently working, leaving players unsure what over it was and what the score was...

I'm glad that I don't have either team to officiate again this season.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I umpired the Blackheath vs Hayes game; some truly terrible batting it has to be said. 

The deck was fairly green, but it was swing which caused most issues for the batters. Both McVicar (for Hayes) and Wells (for 'Heath) were out bowled shouldering arms to big in-duckers. Blake (Hayes) was out to a very ugly hoick across the line (another bowled) and Tanwar took three wickets in four balls and five in total. A last wicket stand of 24 for Hayes would eventually prove crucial. Blackheath bowled a totally seam attack, using just four bowlers.

Blackheath started OK with McVicar desperately unlucky in his opening spell. It was after drinks that it all collapsed for Blackheath, with McVicar's second spell and (ex-CWKCC youngster) Alfie Peck reeking havoc, and 60-2 became 100-7. By now (40 overs), Hayes had used up all of their (good) seam options, and Blake came on with his "it's all going to be down to me" hat on. Sure enough, his off-breaks picked up two wickets, and with the scores close, Blackheath's captain tried to see them home.  Sadly for him, the seemingly winning hit was plucked out of the air by a diving Peck at midwicket, and Hayes had a very unlikely win.

The game was marred by far to numerous appeals - every time the ball went through to the keeper or hit the pad, everyone seemed to go up. Every not out was queried and questioned, with astonished gazes when you explained why it was not out.  Of course the decisions which were given were also seemingly incorrect...

It also didn't help that the scoreboard wasn't consistently working, leaving players unsure what over it was and what the score was...

Alfie Peck was with Kent as an under 11. His parents told the Kent coaches that he couldn't play at the Taunton Festival that season - never let it be said that a Kent coach scorned will hold that against an 11 year old but poor Alfie wasn't picked again that year. The two coaches in question were removed from their position a couple of years later. I think Alfie's size and lack of pace counted against him and he actually turned himself into a decent batsman who plays withing his limitations. Great to hear he's doing well.

The incessant appealing is something that has become more and more prevalent. I could name a few sides where is is actually co-ordinated to the extent that they will echo round the ground from long leg to long off. A couple of seasons ago Seb edged one into his pads, the whole Hayes team went off, Seb was given out and on his way off, MacVicar the bowler, said to him "sorry mate" with a little chuckle. He didn't blame the Umpire who later apologised to him for his mistake because it has become part of the game to appeal for anything and everything. It becomes attritional which makes it incredibly hard for Umpires who, unlike in the pro game, don't have the benefit of a thrid Umpire.  
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Alfie Peck was with Kent as an under 11. His parents told the Kent coaches that he couldn't play at the Taunton Festival that season - never let it be said that a Kent coach scorned will hold that against an 11 year old but poor Alfie wasn't picked again that year. The two coaches in question were removed from their position a couple of years later. I think Alfie's size and lack of pace counted against him and he actually turned himself into a decent batsman who plays withing his limitations. Great to hear he's doing well.

The incessant appealing is something that has become more and more prevalent. I could name a few sides where is is actually co-ordinated to the extent that they will echo round the ground from long leg to long off. A couple of seasons ago Seb edged one into his pads, the whole Hayes team went off, Seb was given out and on his way off, MacVicar the bowler, said to him "sorry mate" with a little chuckle. He didn't blame the Umpire who later apologised to him for his mistake because it has become part of the game to appeal for anything and everything. It becomes attritional which makes it incredibly hard for Umpires who, unlike in the pro game, don't have the benefit of a thrid Umpire.  
    Yes, it was the attritional values that we were fighting against yesterday...I do know if some (ex) umpires who you could guarantee would give the third appeal of the day out. But with experienced umpires (like I think I am) that doesn't wash...so it just becomes tedious when square leg or cover point give it loads when the ball was missing leg stump by a mile. And as for the questioning, I know Blackheath wanted to get Blake out, but if it's turned down that should be the end of it. Hayes were just as bad with one from my end and another from my colleagues; we both had legitimate reasons to turn the appeals down, but astonishment seems to be par for the course these days (especially when the games are as close as yesterday).

Alfie Peck has filled out a lot and bowled a decent lick; a lovely polite lad too! Yes, I understand his parents had a lot of control over who he played with in his junior days, and were desperate for a club to give him a chance to improve. He was one of those who may have been better staying at Chislehurst and growing there rather than chasing the Premier club glory at Hayes at too junior an age...
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Which leads on to one of my favourite subjects. To walk or not to walk. In my eyes if you hit it and you know you hit it, you put the bat under your arm and walk off. In my eyes anything other than that is bang out of order. 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Which leads on to one of my favourite subjects. To walk or not to walk. In my eyes if you hit it and you know you hit it, you put the bat under your arm and walk off. In my eyes anything other than that is bang out of order. 
    Well, we all try to play within the spirit, but it is rare for anyone to walk these days, even if a slip catch is taken cleanly.

I gave a guy out yesterday caught and bowled - the thick inside edge onto his pad, the ball ballooning into the air and being taken cleanly. He stood and looked but did trudge off. What gnarled me was having to tell the scorer (who the batter had to walk passed!) how he was out!!!! Why couldn't the batter have told him - it was very damn obvious! But that's part of the "game" now, trying to put doubt into the umpires minds.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:

Well, we all try to play within the spirit, but it is rare for anyone to walk these days, even if a slip catch is taken cleanly.

I gave a guy out yesterday caught and bowled - the thick inside edge onto his pad, the ball ballooning into the air and being taken cleanly. He stood and looked but did trudge off. What gnarled me was having to tell the scorer (who the batter had to walk passed!) how he was out!!!! Why couldn't the batter have told him - it was very damn obvious! But that's part of the "game" now, trying to put doubt into the umpires minds.
    Best line I heard from an umpire to a young batsman who  was standing his ground after middling to the keeper - are you going to walk or do I have to give you out ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Super Bexley performance yesterday to beat Wanstead and make it into the National cup semi final. They play Teddington away next Sunday. So only one game away from a return to Lords for the final. 

• Options
    Watched bits of it on the stream and Bexley looked done for earlier on scoring at less than 3 and 55-5 but did so well to build up a total of 175 .
    then Wanstead recovered from early losses to get to 114-4 but big prospect Ali Zeb (scored 171 and 64 during the week for Essex u18 v Hamps u18 in the week, think he’s 16 ) fell and they collapsed to 125 all out .
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    My eldest son who hadn’t played a league game for 7 weeks due to weather and school trips and holiday came back and once again they scraped a win in the tightest of divisions where anyone can beat anyone , last time he played it was against the team who were bottom and we beat em in a close game they’re now just behind us in third (and play each other next week) last match we played  we lost to at the time to 8th place by 7 runs in the last over .
    On Saturday our keeper got injured in the warm up, so he dropped down the batting order to 10 and we scrambled to  192 , boffin son got 26 not out and leads the batting averages (50 odd) for the first team batting at ten cos of a few not outs , he’s sensible and has improved but is limited on his shots and I regularly topple him in the nets 😀
    Galleywood then started well getting to 52 before the first wicket fell and then they just lost a few regularly as we got them to 131/7 with my sons pies getting 3 wickets before he received some treatment and ended with 43-3 in his 8 overs 
    the oppos tail wagged and our 35 extras looked like they’d cost us before the stand in skipper got the last wicket with a c & b with the oppo 5 short .
    Mad season where we could be bottom because of our 8 wins only one was comfortable the rest have been coin flips .
    will be a miracle for us to make it 3 back to back promotions to the Mid Essex Prem but it’s in our hands … we’ve lost sooo many influential players this season due to work commitments and other stuff , they’ve just managed to keep scrambling results .
    I came back too early after knee op , surgeon said ok but my new physio who’d had a similar op said I hadn’t built enough up but I could play not too crazily later on in the season if I put some work in , which I have .
    So I’ve pencilled my comeback in for the inter club match on bank holiday Monday and I’ve requested to be on the opposite side to boffin and Peter Kay , they say I rate myself too much,  so I’m gonna give them a lesson !!

I mean yesterday Peter Kay got a fucking diamond duck (is that what it’s called ) , he’d got brought in as a filler for the u13 teams friendly and as we retired everyone he came in in the last over and proceeded to just set off before seeing the ball had gone straight to shortish mid on  who rolled the ball on to the stumps as my son turned like the qe2 before being left stranded a couple of yards short for a fat duck without facing ffs , he bowled a couple of overs of shit for 10 but did take a decent catch that left him with a cartoon style throbbing hand from a drilled drive going over his head at mid off that he plucked out of the air.

• Options
    Super Bexley performance yesterday to beat Wanstead and make it into the National cup semi final. They play Teddington away next Sunday. So only one game away from a return to Lords for the final. 

And to do so without Ball (left),  Riley (holiday), and overseas Burdon (gone home) was even better!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

And to do so without Ball (left),  Riley (holiday), and overseas Burdon (gone home) was even better!

Not forgetting Jas Singh either
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    PaddyP17 said:
    I understand not walking at the top levels - it's competition and a lot of these players are competing for Kent honours at some level I imagine - but I have had about four blokes stand their ground off me this year, in Div 12, of whom two have remained in (home umpires) and two walked off as if they'd just been administered the greatest injustice in the universe.

We have had a couple of guys stand their ground too, which I really dislike. It is Div 12 lads. Go if they go up.
    The one that seems to have crept into the game is the one where the player refuses to look at the Umpire at any point following an appeal. There was one over the weekend where the batsman clearly edged the ball and watched it go into the keeper's gloves, didn't walk, refused to look at the Umpire, scratched his mark with his boot, then looked up by which time the Umpire's finger had long since happened and the fielding side were in a huddle, then carried on scratching his mark before eventually walking off. What is that about?
  • Options
    My son said in his match yesterday (they play in a crappy time League thing where the umpiring by teams is appalling,  no one gives lbw's unless its the rare honest guy in the oppo and its a bit of a pain , it's our first season in it and probably our last )
    anyway when we're batting oppo are shouting 2,2 2 2 or 3 3 3 3 trying to put the batsmen running off and lead to confusion , our player umpire pulled em on it a few times saying there may be penalty runs if it continues there was some argument before eventually i think the bellends shut up .
    Do any of you know what the law, penalty is for that sort of shennagins ... i'd never heard it before but its pathetic