Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Bad news, all OC teams lost.

Good news, Minster choked lmaoooo
  • Options
    After 5 games who would have had the big spenders Minster and Hayes so far off the pace.

Bexley are looking promising this year.. St.Law look a bit of a one man team, in the shape of the young spring chicken Stevo 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    After 5 games who would have had the big spenders Minster and Hayes so far off the pace.

Bexley are looking promising this year.. St.Law look a bit of a one man team, in the shape of the young spring chicken Stevo 
    Yes, Minster looking shaky, and Hayes very injury hit, despite having McVicar back yesterday.

Bexley may have a bad run at some point, as Ball has moved to the west country and Riley has a lot of other commitments on Saturdays. The overseas is also only there half the season. They do have a very good squad though and know how to win...

TW are unbeaten too, and I've got them next week vs Sandwich.
  • Options
    In the Championship Bottom of the table and winless OD CUACO entertained 4/4 Bickley Park yesterday. On paper, there could only be one result. Cricket isn't played on paper though.

As good as Bickley's bowling has been this season, yesterday, at times it lacked all control and discipline as evidenced by the fact that they gave their opposition 34 extras including 27 wides and a couple of no balls. At the business end of the innings it allowed Pip France to help himself to 49 not out off just 34 balls and a total of 248-8. Despite 51 from Saf Imitiiaz and 49 from Daniel Magin, Bickley never really seemed to be in control of the situation and were bowled out for 203 and a comfortable 45 run defeat. 

So a wake up call for Bickley. They missed the control up top of Xavier Darroch with the ball and Seb is still out with his broken thumb but the side that took the field should have been good enough to win. They remain top by one point from Bromley with the two sides meeting next Saturday and Bickley will need to turn up if they are going to win that one.  

• Options
    Chislehurst & West Kent have another good Aussie overseas this year. In 2022, Jack Sanson scored over 1000 runs and led the league on runs scored. He's now playing prem cricket in Middx. 

Yesterday,  Jackson Mills, a Queenslander, hit 184 not out in the win versus Bexley 3s. This was the highest ever league score by a CWKCC player, and takes his seasonal total (AND AVERAGE!) To 352!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Chislehurst & West Kent have another good Aussie overseas this year. In 2022, Jack Sanson scored over 1000 runs and led the league on runs scored. He's now playing prem cricket in Middx. 

Yesterday,  Jackson Mills, a Queenslander, hit 184 not out in the win versus Bexley 3s. This was the highest ever league score by a CWKCC player, and takes his seasonal total (AND AVERAGE!) To 352!
    I've got to ask though, what was he doing hitting 160 in a Sunday friendly in a total of like 440 last week?! Might have a side strain if he's due to play against the Waggoners, haha.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I um. I might go on holiday the week we play them
  • Options
    In fact, that IS the week I'd been earmarking for my one missed game of the season (provided I cling on to the 2s), partly because it lines up well with my gf, and partly because the 4s don't have a game that day so player availability won't be such an issue. Part of me does fancy a crack at this Mills fellow though. What's the worst that could happen? (He smashes one back at me and I put my hand in the way, is the answer)
  • Options
    If I am away, I'm backing the otherwise indisposed Paddy to give it a crack mind
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had an enjoyable few hours over at Fives and Heronians yesterday as nephew was guesting for his old club. 

Fairly easy win for them against Harold Wood CC 

They also had a Kiwi as their overseas who was quite rapid. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:

I've got to ask though, what was he doing hitting 160 in a Sunday friendly in a total of like 440 last week?! Might have a side strain if he's due to play against the Waggoners, haha.
    Yea, the girlfriend he quickly picked up was working so he played that game instead. The hundred came in about 60 balls and the 60 in about 12 balls! It did ruin the match IMO and the captain is aware.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    In fact, that IS the week I'd been earmarking for my one missed game of the season (provided I cling on to the 2s), partly because it lines up well with my gf, and partly because the 4s don't have a game that day so player availability won't be such an issue. Part of me does fancy a crack at this Mills fellow though. What's the worst that could happen? (He smashes one back at me and I put my hand in the way, is the answer)
    I thought you normally put your ankle in the way rather than your hand 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    I thought you normally put your ankle in the way rather than your hand 
    Maybe safest just to bowl long-hops and put the 3s/4s players on the next pitch in danger instead 
  • Options
    The Masters dynasty migration to Minster is now complete. Virtually a 50 year difference in age between the oldest of them and the youngest

1st XI - Daniel
    2nd XI - David (C). Alfie & Harrison
    3rd XI - Kevin
  • Options
    A local derby saw second place Bromley visit the leaders Bickley Park. The game revolved around that third discipline of the game namely the fielding.

The hosts won the toss and elected to bat. An excellent opening stand saw Bickley take it to 68 before losing both openers on that score. Their overseas reached 50 but not before being dropped off two absolute dollies. Another couple of drops that really should have been taken allowed Bickley to get to 251 but had those catches been taken then they might well have struggled to get to 200.

Bromley could not have started worse - their number one edging the ball off the first ball of the innings and pouched by Magin with an excellent diving catch at slip. Selvey-Clinton soon departed as did the skipper, Wilson and then McQueen fell to a brilliant one handed grab by Ridley at slip. 48-4 with three of those wickets to Darroch. How Bickley missed him the previous week. But then came the recovery and at 158-5 Bromley were in with a real chance of victory, thanks in the main, to an excellent 50 from Bluett. Once he departed the innings ground to a halt and Bromley were all out for 199.

So a victory for Bickley but Bromley must be kicking themselves. They weren't really outplayed with bat or ball but the difference in the fielding was massive. However, Bromley are a young, up and coming side of home grown players who will reap the benefit of that for years to come. Meanwhile Bickley have stretched their lead at the top but, as last week demonstrated, they have to be on their "A" game if they want to stay there. They also suffer from having a small squad but the better news is that one of their players might be returning next week following a six week absence from his badly broken thumb. "Fingers crossed", 

• Options
    @Leuth’s match at Loring Hall suffered a fate nobody could have expected during this heatwave - abandoned without a ball bowled due to a waterlogged square. 

I’m surprised the man himself hasn’t been on here yet to have a rant about it. 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    @Leuth’s match at Loring Hall suffered a fate nobody could have expected during this heatwave - abandoned without a ball bowled due to a waterlogged square. 

Waterlogged ? What happened there ? 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Waterlogged ? What happened there ? 
    I hears that the sprinklers at Loring Hall went off overnight!
  • Options
    Burst water pipe at gully! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's fine. I'm not raging or anything. Definitely fucking not 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    An excellent article about three of the current Australian Ashes team and their experiences playing club cricket in England. Some of the names of club members will be well known to members of this forum.  

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1380057/when-smudge--trav-and-marnus-cut-their-teeth-in-england?fbclid=IwAR0HZ4dqqVltLqbAeJ5leXo_GlL46efQm2oxbwxA2dCowqeVsz9wqLRXJhU
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Saw that on play cricket last night...realised something odd had happened 
  • Options
    Which brings me to odd reasons why games get called off ..I was skippering a game at corkscrew hill,west Wickham...probably 2005 .I volunteered to collect valuables and put them in my car.As we were going off at the interval my car was missing ie stolen. So not only car stolen but team mates wallets,car keys watches etc gone too.
    Match abandoned. Car probably being driven around the suburbs of Lagos as I write .
  • Options
    The Masters dynasty migration to Minster is now complete. Virtually a 50 year difference in age between the oldest of them and the youngest

1st XI - Daniel
    2nd XI - David (C). Alfie & Harrison
    3rd XI - Kevin
    Coming back to this, I don’t think Kevin actually plays much for Minster, if at all. But he’s certainly part of the furniture there and favours full Minster kit when playing for Kent over 60s. He’s been in good form with the ball this season - and tells some eye-wateringly funny yarns about the 80s/90s county circuit. 
  • Options
    Tunbridge Wells are top of the KPL having won all five of their completed games. @Pedro45 will have a better idea of their credentials so far as becoming champions is concerned. The Williams brothers have started the season in impressive form and it's great to see the rise of one of Seb's friends, Liam McGroarty from the time they played Kent age group matches together.

Bexley lost for the first time on Saturday. The loss of Adam Ball is the equivalent of losing two players as he give the side the balance of six front line bowlers. Lordswood, who defeated Bexley on Saturday, have only lost one game too and have a lot of experience in their side too. As Calum Macleod has retired from international cricket, one would think that he will be available for the duration and have to be a threat. Minster appear to either choke or thrash sides - on Saturday they reached their target of 148 against the Vine in 15.2 overs - and have the ammunition to get into the shake up again providing they would have to probably not lose more than a couple more matches this season. St Lawrence & HC are quietly going about their business thanks to the assistance of Darren Stevens and would be an outsider for the title. Blackheath, with their group of players, must be really disappointed to have lost four matches already especially as their new recruits, namely Matthew Golding (296 runs and 9-228) and Jas Bassan (11-176) have settled in so well. The issue has been that, after Golding, Richardson is in second place with just 108 runs.
  • Options
    I've had I'd say five eminently catchable dropped catches (three by the same lad - darn you, Markus) and three pretty adjacent LBWs turned down this season already, as well as two snicks behind not given. Not been my year really, though admittedly I've bowled slightly below what I did last season. 

Still, it's frustrating when you ask the question pretty convincingly in a couple of league games only for the shake of the head when it's pitched on middle, hit the shin, and is going on to hit middle. I don't go up unless it's a decent shout.

The presence of "generous" umpiring in this division seems well at odds compared to what we had last season. I wonder if it's because we've played a lot of 2nd XIs rather than 4th or 5th XIs. Sigh
  • Options
    Tunbridge Wells are top of the KPL having won all five of their completed games. @Pedro45 will have a better idea of their credentials so far as becoming champions is concerned. The Williams brothers have started the season in impressive form and it's great to see the rise of one of Seb's friends, Liam McGroarty from the time they played Kent age group matches together.

Bexley lost for the first time on Saturday. The loss of Adam Ball is the equivalent of losing two players as he give the side the balance of six front line bowlers. Lordswood, who defeated Bexley on Saturday, have only lost one game too and have a lot of experience in their side too. As Calum Macleod has retired from international cricket, one would think that he will be available for the duration and have to be a threat. Minster appear to either choke or thrash sides - on Saturday they reached their target of 148 against the Vine in 15.2 overs - and have the ammunition to get into the shake up again providing they would have to probably not lose more than a couple more matches this season. St Lawrence & HC are quietly going about their business thanks to the assistance of Darren Stevens and would be an outsider for the title. Blackheath, with their group of players, must be really disappointed to have lost four matches already especially as their new recruits, namely Matthew Golding (296 runs and 9-228) and Jas Bassan (11-176) have settled in so well. The issue has been that, after Golding, Richardson is in second place with just 108 runs.
    TW were very good on Saturday; their batting is their strength (even without one Williams this week), but the bowling can be good too (Barker bowled 10 overs, 3-15!). McGroarty took a six-fer in a previous game I did for them this season at Holmesdale as first change, but he's now opening the bowling. They are very confident and it will take a good team to beat them.

I'm doing Blackheath versus Bexley this week in stage one of the double header (they meet in the National cup on Sunday following Saturday's league game!); Blackheath have conspired to lose three very close games (2 runs, 10 runs, 1 wicket...). As you say, it's their batting that hasn't worked consistently yet, despite Golding. Bexley are always tough, but without any Adam's (Ball and Riley), they are a bit weaker.

I'm doing Lordswood in three weeks time, so will see how they show then....and maybe Minster later in the season? SLHC will just be glad not to go down I think, and Dazzler has certainly given them that chance. For me, it's two from Holmesdale, the Vine and (crazily!) Sandwich, with TW to take the flag this year.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

TW were very good on Saturday; their batting is their strength (even without one Williams this week), but the bowling can be good too (Barker bowled 10 overs, 3-15!). McGroarty took a six-fer in a previous game I did for them this season at Holmesdale as first change, but he's now opening the bowling. They are very confident and it will take a good team to beat them.

I'm doing Blackheath versus Bexley this week in stage one of the double header (they meet in the National cup on Sunday following Saturday's league game!); Blackheath have conspired to lose three very close games (2 runs, 10 runs, 1 wicket...). As you say, it's their batting that hasn't worked consistently yet, despite Golding. Bexley are always tough, but without any Adam's (Ball and Riley), they are a bit weaker.

I'm doing Lordswood in three weeks time, so will see how they show then....and maybe Minster later in the season? SLHC will just be glad not to go down I think, and Dazzler has certainly given them that chance. For me, it's two from Holmesdale, the Vine and (crazily!) Sandwich, with TW to take the flag this year.
    I think, as you say, crazy that Sandwich are vulnerable (even with Ryan Davies back). They only just survived last season by one point from Bickley but were, admittedly, 56 points above the bottom side, Beckenham. It doesn't always work like this (and the exception was last season with Hayes and Minster occupying the top two places) but most years at least one team goes straight back down. I think all the time Steveo is playing for them St Lawrence & HC will win enough games but not sure that Holmesdale are as good as the Bickley side that went down last season and for that reason I suspect that they will be one of the two. With the CC grinding to a halt I could see Compton (as well as Logan) playing enough games to make a difference and with, no doubt, Harry Houillon will be back too post exams and the thought that Luke Schlemmer will find his form soon enough, I think that Sandwich will, unfortunately, join Holmesdale. There's a long way to go at both ends of the table though.