Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Sidcup's overseas this season is Pranav Dhanawade. Who is he I hear you ask?

Well, this is the lad who, when at school, scored 1009* out of a total of 1465-3 dec off 94 overs in a "game" which his team won by the small matter of an innings and 1382. This is the scorecard for those who haven't seen it before.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/bhandari-cup-2015-16-958395/kc-gandhi-english-school-vs-arya-gurukul-cbse-958397/full-scorecard

It's fair to say that his career hasn't quite matched his record breaking school exploits - he played for Northwich in the Cheshire League Div 3 for the last two seasons where he hit 204* off 105 balls in a cup game out of a total of 389-1 off 40 overs. 

To all of Sidcup's opposition I would recommend getting him early because, if you don't, it might end up costing you in a big way!
    That's interesting; for a while they were after Chislehurst & West Kent's overseas from last year Jackson Mills. I might try to get a game there in their cricket week to see him play!

The league season gets nearer; the 9-game split of whites/red ball vs coloured clothing/two pink balls will be fun to manage in the Premier division, although it's the new Premier division umpires panel who are the ones who will need to cope with that.  The umpires will also have a key role in the new regulation regarding bowling rates, where if teams do not finish their overs on time they will now have one less fielder outside the circle once past that time. The updated finish time will need to be communicated to both teams at every game delay, and once past it, in comes a fielder (instead of a point penalty).  The new GCR (which replaces the VCC)  should put to bed any disciplinary matters that are not being dealt with properly across all of the leagues - it now looks fit for purpose and has independent arbiters should anyone wish to appeal. But the biggest contention this year could be the revised thunder/lightning GWL rule across all cricket - if you don't know the change, teams must now depart the field of play for 30 minutes immediately you hear or see either (without putting covers on!). That one may cause some consternation and controversy as the season wears on...
    In that week and on Thursday 1st August is a Brian Smith "XI" (in celebration of his 25 years at the Club) against Sidcup - I'm scoring and Seb is part of Brian's team of 15 (I suspect rotated on the basis of those that are sober enough to make a meaningful contribution at any given time!).

Before that and on Sunday 16th June, Bickley are hosting the three way 2nd round Kent T20 competition involving Bickley, Lordswood and the winners of ODCUACO and Sidcup so should Sidcup win their match then he is bound to be playing I would have thought.  
  • Options
    All hail the return of one of Charlton Life’s greatest threads.
  • Options
    I see that Downham & Bellingham have merged with Bromley. I can see this sort of thing happening more and more.   
  • Options
    I see that Downham & Bellingham have merged with Bromley. I can see this sort of thing happening more and more.   
    First club to have a comma and an ampersand in their name?
  • Options
    What will D&B now be called? 
  • Options
    Haven't even been able to cut our squares yet, let alone roll them.

Parts of the outfield haven’t been touched yet...far too soft for even our lightest machine. 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    What will D&B now be called? 
    Sadly I think they've lost their name. From what I can see, their 1st team has become Bromley 3s and their 3rd team is now Bromley 5s. I don't know how selections of the teams will work either but one would assume that of the main purposes of such a merger is to make all their sides stronger rather than those sides being run as "clubs within a club".

• Options
    Didn’t D&B have their clubhouse burnt down a few years ago ? 
  • Options
    What the best club to go and watch on a Saturday?  I want to go and shoot some cricket with my new camera and lens combo :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn’t D&B have their clubhouse burnt down a few years ago ? 
    That was in 2016 and as a result of various fundraising efforts, they built a new one I believe
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    What the best club to go and watch on a Saturday?  I want to go and shoot some cricket with my new camera and lens combo :)
    That depends on a number of factors:

(1) Where you live and how far you are prepared to travel
    (2) The level of cricket you want to be shooting 
    (3) How picturesque the relevant surroundings need to be

You will probably have to get permission from the Club in question particularly if there are youngsters are playing even in the Kent Prem albeit that there will probably only be a few in any one game at that level.  
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

You will probably have to get permission from the Club in question particularly if there are youngsters are playing even in the Kent Prem albeit that there will probably only be a few in any one game at that level.  
    Totally get the last bit.  I'd be dropping an email to the club secretary for permission beforehand :)

I'm in Petts Wood, so anywhere within a 30 min drive I'd say.  Can go down as far as Tunbridge Wells down the A21.
    But somwhere Bromley-based would be fab.

Not overly concerned about the surroundings, I just want to shoot Batsmen and Bowlers doing their stuff, I'm not worried about wider atmospheric stuff.  There's a few things I want to practice.  
  • Options
    edited April 10
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Totally get the last bit.  I'd be dropping an email to the club secretary for permission beforehand :)

I'm in Petts Wood, so anywhere within a 30 min drive I'd say.  Can go down as far as Tunbridge Wells down the A21.

Not overly concerned about the surroundings, I just want to shoot Batsmen and Bowlers doing their stuff, I'm not worried about wider atmospheric stuff.  There's a few things I want to practice.  
    Then might I recommend Bickley Park CC where my son plays? Their 1st Team is in the Kent Premier League so the standard will be as good as you will get in the Kent League. Let me know if you are interested and I will PM you the Secretary's details - he's a Spurs season ticket holder!!!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Then might I recommend Bickley Park CC where my son plays? Their 1st Team is in the Kent Premier League so the standard will be as good as you will get in the Kent League. Let me know if you are interested and I will PM you the Secretary's details - he's a Spurs season ticket holder!!!
    Sounds good to me.  Please send me his details and I'll drop him a line!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

BPCC would work (St Georges Church is a good backdrop), but a number of local clubs to you have nice grounds, none more so than Chislehurst & West Kent. You can walk all the way around the pitch, have lovely Chislehurst Commons views in the background, and a 19th century clubhouse to boot! Bexley is another nice ground to take photos on, but they do have an official (sort of) photographer. Tunbridge Wells have their rhodedendrens during May which are amazing; Sevenoaks Vine has lovely views down over the Darenth Valley; Bromley Common has a very nice ground with trees and big sky. There are other nice ones that I cannot recollect.  Ones to avoid IMO are Bromley, Beckenham, Hayes, Sidcup, Orpington, Blackheath, Gravesend, as none are as nice as those I mentioned previously.
  • Options
    That's a terrible shame..Bromley will get much more from that than D and B ..
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    You could take in Bickley Park and Chislehurst and West Kent in one afternoon. As a neutral the latter is the more picturesque but parking is a pain in the arse. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    If you want a ground with a lovely backdrop, I can recommend Horton Kirby - lovely ground - I go there a lot to watch my mate play - idyllic place to watch cricket with a few pints 

Also, Luddesdown Cricket Club near Meopham is lovely, as is Meopham Cricket Club which is on a green surrounded by 3 roads and 2 pubs 
    There's another ground nearby .Nurstead which is pleasingly bucolic 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lamorbey Park had a lovely backdrop but I think that's gone now 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    If you want a ground with a lovely backdrop, I can recommend Horton Kirby - lovely ground - I go there a lot to watch my mate play - idyllic place to watch cricket with a few pints 

Also, Luddesdown Cricket Club near Meopham is lovely, as is Meopham Cricket Club which is on a green surrounded by 3 roads and 2 pubs 
    Yes - forgot about Nurstead 

Also Harvel is nice - you can sit in Amazon & Tiger pub garden and watch the cricket - what’s not to like !!!
  • Options
    Always liked Cudham Wyse, not least because of their magnificent teas when we played them, Staggering distance from the Blacksmith's Arms and a pleasant rural ambience.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Also Harvel is nice - you can sit in Amazon & Tiger pub garden and watch the cricket - what’s not to like !!!
    I don't think that the pub exists now and it is a B & B instead

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/news/it-s-the-social-heart-of-the-community-277918/
  • Options
    Out of all those mentioned my vote would go to Luddesdown..
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

I don't think that the pub exists now and it is a B & B instead

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/news/it-s-the-social-heart-of-the-community-277918/
    That’s a shame - was a nice pub 
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    As chair at Old Colfeians, I put together an occasional nostalgia piece for our Past Players newsletter. While researching what happened in April/May ten years ago, I just stumbled across @lolwray ‘s stellar bowling figures in a Sunday friendly vs Catford & Cyphers: 5-1-17-4. Well bowled that man! He did, however, fail to trouble the scorers in both of his early season innings against OCs in 2014. 
    You won't be surprised to hear I don't remember both the innings but it's nice to be reminded of the bowling ..Thankyou. I seem to remember it was a murky spring afternoon. Always a pleasure playing against Old Colfeians..I also remember bowling at the middle of a young Caswalls bat many years ago at Horn Park.( late 70s) .if you can find that scorecard I'd be very impressed .
  • Options
    edited April 12
    The skipper of Catford Cyphers in this particular game did the right thing in taking off one of the opening bowlers and bring himself on - no doubt in order to ensure that the other opening bowler had to spend all night buying jugs for taking a 10 fer! Fortunately, I wasn't playing for Sidcup in this game but did play with all of them including, of course, with Brian Smith.

https://www.play-cricket.com/website/results/304560  
  • Options
    Following on from the above I think our skipper that day was Olly Hickford .(.last I heard he was playing for Bromley Common.) He is a devoted CAFC fan .I dt think he contributes to Cl though.