Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Might be fun when Minster take on The Mote in Div 2 next year, if Coles is available then.... Wouldn't mind standing in that one!
  • Options
    "The Kent League Cricketer" has, needless to say, had his say on the subject:

https://twitter.com/KCLcricketer/status/1049960045667131392
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Is Fabian Cowdrey on some sort of mission? Tonbridge School, Sevenoaks Vine CC and then on to two of the most unfashionable places in Kent namely Lordswood and now Sheppey. Is he rebelling against his Dad for giving him such a posh name?

His justification for doing so will be that he has now extended his vocabulary with the addition of a number of new four letter words.
  • Options
    From Kentonline:

Current Minster first team player and former captain James White played with Coles during their time together in the Kent age group structure and also had a role in attracting Coles, along with club chief executive Neil Hosken.

Coles, whose county career has seen him score more than 3,500 runs and take 565 wickets, said: "Fabian and I played a lot of cricket together during my two spells at Kent and he has had nothing but good things to say about Minster.

"He has been impressed with how the club operates under Neil's guidance and I look forward to playing when I can and helping develop the younger players.

"Hopefully, I can pass on some advice and Minster enjoy another successful season.

"Neil and I have spoken at length on how we can work with the youngsters during the winter months and pre-season and that is something which appeals to me a lot."

Mr Hosken said: "Fabian loved his first season here at Minster and I have been impressed by Matt during our meet-ups.

"He's a great lad and obviously an immense player. Having him play and be an ambassador for our club can only be great news, not just for cricket but sport on Sheppey generally.

"I look forward to seeing him play and, just as importantly, helping the development of our players, young and older."

Good to hear that money hasn't been the motivating factor. I have no doubt that Coles will be a great under the influence especially off the pitch.
  • Options
    I’ve heard he is a bit of a prick. Apparently...
  • Options
    In addition to the Cowdrey brothers and Matt Coles, Minster have now signed Kai Appelby from Whitstable, James Thompson from Hartley and Dan Masters from Lordswood.

The phrase "bottomless pit" springs to mind.
  • Options

In addition to the Cowdrey brothers and Matt Coles, Minster have now signed Kai Appelby from Whitstable, James Thompson from Hartley and Dan Masters from Lordswood.

It's ridiculous. At least they're investing in colts cricket too though - they've gone from 25 youngsters to 63 in the space of a few years, and lots of the above guys will apparently be helping out with coaching.

However, god knows how much they're being paid. An incredibly reliable little birdie told me Thompson turned down something like £800 per game so who knows what he's accepted!
  • Options
    edited November 2018

OMG! That is crazy. They will be the Galacticos of Division 2! Appleby is a class number 3, and Thompson a decent five (except when he uses his pad) but he may not get much time at the crease with Fabian and Kai ahead of him. Dan is a bit past it now, but still quite quick for that league. Can't see who could compete with them in that division really. The only thing that may count against them is the Spirit side of things, as Tommo, Dan, and even Kai have had run ins recently with officials in recent times. They'll need a pretty big changing room to house all of those ego's!
  • Options
    edited November 2018

PaddyP17 said:

It's ridiculous. At least they're investing in colts cricket too though - they've gone from 25 youngsters to 63 in the space of a few years, and lots of the above guys will apparently be helping out with coaching.

However, god knows how much they're being paid. An incredibly reliable little birdie told me Thompson turned down something like £800 per game so who knows what he's accepted!
    They are also putting out a 4th team next season for the first time. Wonder what the going rate is for playing for their 4s?
  • Options

They are also putting out a 4th team next season for the first time. Wonder what the going rate is for playing for their 4s?

They need one, as all the previous first team now play in the two's, the two's play in the 3rd team and their third team had nowhere to go!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PaddyP17 said:

Might shoot them a message on Twitter.

My credentials include engendering fun-spirited cricket; not conceding a game in two seasons as OCCC 4s skipper; reasonable field settings; batting myself at 11 and not bowling quite a lot of the time; and being a Chinese left-arm Chinaman bowler.

I'm available for just £300 a game - much cheaper than most others!
  • Options
    Went to the KCL dinner tonight. Matt Coles won't be allowed to play because the KCL doesn't allow county contracted players to play in Div 2. However, I was told that they are close to signing a former international player.
  • Options
    Tredders?

Although I heard he was considering becoming an umpire.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Tredders?

Although I heard he was considering becoming an umpire.

Possibly - he is coaching at Eastbourne College during the week
  • Options

Went to the KCL dinner tonight. Matt Coles won't be allowed to play because the KCL doesn't allow county contracted players to play in Div 2. However, I was told that they are close to signing a former international player.

• Options
    Riviera said:

Can't believe how happy the Blackheath captain looks.
  • Options

Riviera said:

I dislike Blackheath generally. Chris Willetts in the midweek T20 tournament tried to scuff up the ball after one of our bats took 15 off an over. We're a bloody Div 4 side and actual 3rd XI players were in that team for that T20.

Win at all costs is such a poisonous mentality.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Riviera said:

I dislike Blackheath generally. Chris Willetts in the midweek T20 tournament tried to scuff up the ball after one of our bats took 15 off an over. We're a bloody Div 4 side and actual 3rd XI players were in that team for that T20.

I don't think Chris Willetts is unpopular with quite a lot of people from what I can gather - including some at Blackheath.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Riviera said:

I don't think Chris Willetts is unpopular with quite a lot of people from what I can gather - including some at Blackheath.
    As a member for 40 years, former KCL 2ndXI Captain (when it was a proper league) and Lifetime Vice President of the club I know nothing of this.
  • Options
    KRCL AGM tomorrow apparently. I'd completely forgotten, not that I (or indeed many of us at Colfes) would have been able to make it anyway, given I finish work at 7.30pm!

If anyone here would be able to let me know any significant updates, I'd appreciate it. I doubt anything will affect our 3rd and 4th XIs given we're in middling/basement leagues!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

KRCL AGM tomorrow apparently. I'd completely forgotten, not that I (or indeed many of us at Colfes) would have been able to make it anyway, given I finish work at 7.30pm!

If anyone here would be able to let me know any significant updates, I'd appreciate it. I doubt anything will affect our 3rd and 4th XIs given we're in middling/basement leagues!

Do you run winter nets chief?
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

I don't, but both my Sunday side and OCCC do, why?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Very unfit having not been running since early July, plus not having bowled a proper ball that wasn't loopy off break since that time either.

Want to get as many overs in over the winter.

Plus it would have been fun to try and knock your head off... :-)
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Very unfit having not been running since early July, plus not having bowled a proper ball that wasn't loopy off break since that time either.

That's weird - the one time we played each other the only one at risk of getting his head knocked off was your good self, trying to take a catch ;)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

That's weird - the one time we played each other the only one at risk of getting his head knocked off was your good self, trying to take a catch ;)
    Haha - touche!
  • Options
    Big changes to structure at KRCL next season.
  • Options

Big changes to structure at KRCL next season.

Brian "Cheers Brian" Smith sent the structure round. It's massive. No idea how he does it and I still don't understand how promotions/relegations work!
  • Options
    And can someone confirm how the Blackheath Wanderers situation works? Does their 2nd XI now become their 1st XI and therefore their only team?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

And can someone confirm how the Blackheath Wanderers situation works? Does their 2nd XI now become their 1st XI and therefore their only team?

Unless the 1st team play elsewhere??? Maybe they've joined an Essex or Surrey league?

It all looks very complicated, and Brian has done a fantastic job sorting it out what with so many drop outs etc. I just hope that there is some consolidation and we move towards stronger more reliable clubs rather than lots of ten versus nine games that you often get down the lower reaches of this structure.
  • Options
    Good news: for our first game we're up against Beckenham 4th XI at the Foxgrove, which will easily be the best league pitch I've played on! (Ground-sharing issues mean we're using the spare week, apparently.)

Bad news: It clashes with the final game of the season against Rochdale. Here's hoping we've got autos secured by then...

-------------------

Also, my Sunday friendly team has already started netting. I got a lot of very strange looks when I took my kit into work on Wednesday.

Can't wait for the season to begin though!