Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Seb might not be keeping much this summer (even if we do play) but, as part of his PE "A" Level he needs to be assessed,  by way of film footage, on any two from batting, bowling and keeping. 

On Monday we tried filming some keeping in what was his first hard ball session following his thumb injury over six months ago. Here are a couple of minutes of highlights (any drops were, of course, edited out unlike his hay fever sniffles!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-215S1AK60

And again for his "A" Level, a "round the world" compilation of shots from his sessions during the winter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0WfIvK5zgE
  • Options
    Can you use one of those ball throwers that people use for their dogs ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Can you use one of those ball throwers that people use for their dogs ? 
     I did initially for tennis balls. In fact, the first one I used was from Poundland! They aren't any good for cricket balls though.
  • Options
    Think cricket should start end of May at some point.

Social distancing. exercise, outdoors...

No disgusting licking of the ball by bowlers allowed.

Ps. I bat.....

(allegedly and not usually for that long)
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    Think cricket should start end of May at some point.

Social distancing. exercise, outdoors...

No disgusting licking of the ball by bowlers allowed.

Ps. I bat.....

(allegedly and not usually for that long)
    If anyone ever plays against @BR3red be sure to bowl full on leg stump. Can’t flick off his pads for toffee...
  • Options

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bloody useless 

🙄

Ps. How many tons have you got A2TR?

Night night 😘

• Options

Can't see how club cricket in any recreational form, be it league or friendly, will, sadly, be able to commence before the professional game:

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has confirmed that no professional cricket will be played in England and Wales until at least July 1 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The ECB statement issued on Friday 24th April reads:

The season remains subject to ongoing advice from government and health experts, and continued consultation with all broadcast partners to determine the optimum way to fulfil fixtures both domestically and internationally.

The ECB Board approved the following measures:

• Professional cricket will not be played in England and Wales until at least July 1
    • Nine rounds of fixtures will be lost in the County Championship season, but blocks for red-ball cricket and white-ball cricket will be held in a revised schedule
    • The Vitality Blast will be pushed as late in the season as possible to give it the best opportunity of being staged. All matches previously scheduled in June will be moved later in the season
    • International cricket, featuring England men’s and women’s teams, will look to be scheduled from July until the end of September, with the West Indies Test Series and the whole women’s series against India (Vitality IT20s and Royal London ODIs) both moving from their original slots
    • An additional Board meeting will be scheduled next Wednesday on The Hundred, following a request to dedicate a further session to the competition
  • Options
    Seb might not be keeping much this summer (even if we do play) but, as part of his PE "A" Level he needs to be assessed,  by way of film footage, on any two from batting, bowling and keeping. 

On Monday we tried filming some keeping in what was his first hard ball session following his thumb injury over six months ago. Here are a couple of minutes of highlights (any drops were, of course, edited out unlike his hay fever sniffles!):

And again for his "A" Level, a "round the world" compilation of shots from his sessions during the winter:

Missed this at the time. Very impressive technique. So it was you guys at Avery Hill at 10.30 every Sunday? 
  • Options

A good technique, please keep the videos coming, it could be the only cricket I see this summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't know about that - I've upgraded my garden set-up to contain a standing umpire (an otherwise unused high-chair) which could double as a seated camera position
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Missed this at the time. Very impressive technique. So it was you guys at Avery Hill at 10.30 every Sunday? 
    Thanks and that is correct - every Sunday from October through to the shut down in March. We had two hours before Christmas but could only secure 90 min slots after.

I hope my Brian Clough school of coaching didn't distract you too much. Although if you were there on the Sunday when I got hit in the "unmnentionables" from a straight drive that reared off his cricket bag you will at least have had a bit of light relief!

• Options
    AshBurton said:

Thanks and that is correct - every Sunday from October through to the shut down in March. We had two hours before Christmas but could only secure 90 min slots after.

I hope my Brian Clough school of coaching didn't distract you too much. Although if you were there on the Sunday when I got hit in the "unmnentionables" from a straight drive that reared off his cricket bag you will at least have had a bit of light relief!

Just noticed you setting up really, as our session was 9 to 10.30 from February. Should have said hello, sorry, but only had the name on Seb’s shirt to go by. @Leuth was also there most weeks, but it was a bit early on a Sunday for @PaddyP17
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Most clubs would probably have started their season this coming weekend. You can bet your bottom dollar the weather wouldn't be this good if the matches were on.
  • Options
    I think we should post updates as if the matches were actually going ahead. I shall diplomatically put myself in both the 3s and the 4s 
  • Options
    Good idea 

So I went in number 1 bat

Got  off the mark with a cut 2nd ball -  felt good 👍

Had a juicy half volley on leg stump third ball - missed it 😩

And repeat .......
  • Options
    Get some sleep before the big day tomorrow
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I think we should post updates as if the matches were actually going ahead. I shall diplomatically put myself in both the 3s and the 4s 
    3s friendly please at Bromley Common tomorrow! As this is unfortunately a fictional scenario, there is no calendar clash with the Upbeats walk or the Wigan match at the Valley. 
  • Options
    Lads - I've had a last minute drop out so I've brought in the missus's next-door neighbour. Lovely fellow from Tasmania by the name of Tim, useful wicket keeper and captain material I'm told...

Only snag is that he's played for his country internationally in the last three seasons so might have to fake name him so Brian and the KRCL don't clock on...
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Lads - I've had a last minute drop out so I've brought in the missus's next-door neighbour. Lovely fellow from Tasmania by the name of Tim, useful wicket keeper and captain material I'm told...

Only snag is that he's played for his country internationally in the last three seasons so might have to fake name him so Brian and the KRCL don't clock on...
    Nice chap by all accounts but unlikely to trouble the scorers for long. May also want to usurp you by calling a huddle so he can hone his motivational speaking skills. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's bloody freezing up at Sidcup. Typical - me stuck in the score box with the wind blowing at 90mph. To compound things, Minster have turned up without a scorer. The Umpire even has the cheek to moan at me too because I failed to update the scoreboard for the fall of the last wicket quickly enough! Makes me wonder why the hell I bother.

We've been working all summer with Seb on the importance of the "leave" as a shot. He's clearly progressed because he perfectly shouldered arms, a la Steve Smith, to the first ball he received. Well not quite like Smith because his off peg ended up catapulting so far that it almost took out the keeper standing back! 

Still, the good news is that I bumped into Brian Smith before the game as he's playing for the 3rds on the back square. It's probably 20 years (and a thousand plus wickets for him) since we played together. Really good to catch up. 

Mentioned in passing to Brian this "Tasmanian Devil" I heard was playing as a ringer today. The KRCL have now introduced a system similar to horse racing where the authorities, if they see something unusual, will interview the trainer of the horse in question before the race and withdraw it if necessary. Brian said that he would give @PaddyP17 a call straightaway. Just hope I didn't put my foot in it.
  • Options
    Very good. Poor Seb, being dismissed before 11am, seems unlucky. 

Was Brian wearing shorts despite the temperature? I expect so. 
  • Options

Many of you who have been around the club a while will remember Heinrich Nothnagel. Heinrich played for South Loughton from 2002 to 2004 before moving to Taiwan. Not only was he a thoroughly good bloke, he was also a superb all-rounder - just look at the club records!

Heinrich has been in touch to say that he is playing in a tournament in Taipei over the next month that is being streamed live. He is turning out for the Daredevils.

The tournament starts tomorrow and there's a promotional video at: 

https://youtu.be/_J1RNNgSHjE

got sent this from my sons Club , looks like it’s a T10 tourney 

just been on the app https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sportstiger-live-streaming-app/id1499097853

it looks proper pony but there may be live cricket tomorrow on it
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Paddy won the toss; batted. Newcomer 'Tim' was slated to come in at 6 as he's new; we're currently 27-5 after 15 overs and Tim is out there gritting it. Looks a little out of form but solid enough. I'm in next and...oh is that a wicket? No, no, Cliffy didn't raise the finger this time. Well, let's hope this pair can get us up to 60-odd
  • Options
    Ash lost the toss and we're in the field. Currently reporting in from drinks. Not going so well; I was done by the electric fence retrieving a ball, twice. Once off my own bowling.
  • Options
    Walking out with the home skipper to toss up. But only 6 of my team are here and neither of my opening batsmen. I’d really prefer to field first at this stage of the season, but you know - no fielders. Should I bat or bowl if I win the toss? 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Haha, conflicting reports of the SAME MATCH, love it.

Not to mention Leuth playing in two matches at once 
  • Options
    Lads

I ran out Painey :(
  • Options
    74 all out we ended up. I was a typically heroic 5 not out. Pitch a bit dodgy so in with a sniff. Tea is seriously testing various dietary resolves 
  • Options
    3s meanwhile chasing 220. Managed to get 3 wickets in the end, all caught in the cordon between long-on and wide long-on. We're an encouraging 35-0 after 4 overs though. Ash on 32*, all in boundaries. He's also taken his phone to the middle so he can keep updating us between overs if he likes