Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• PaddyP17 said:I
    A full house for Colfeians over the weekend!

Our 1s won by five wickets off the penultimate ball in a very well-judged chase against Bromley Town, who posted 247/7 off their 45. Our 3s won by a relatively comfortable 14 runs against Cyphers, with @AshBurton of this parish inexplicably batting himself at 10 and getting that red ink of 31* - approximately 31 more runs than @Leuth who was equally inexplicably sent in ahead of him at 9! That said, the latter-named picked up a wicket and a run out to account for the opening bats.

Our 4th XI played well to win by seven wickets against Roan 3s with nine overs to spare: they'd posted 157-8 at a rapid Charlton Park oval off their 35 (the 13 year old Kent wunderkind getting his second half century in as many outings against us), but then "Big Mad Andy" made a cultured 68* alongside a former Roan player - and revelation as wicket-keeper! - who got 32. Both are Charlton fans, hence the shoutout.

And we beat Beckenham Wizards by seven wickets on Sunday! I bowled terribly both days this weekend but somehow burgled two Beckenham wickets including their centurion. Their total of 225 looked pretty meaty but thanks to a beautiful 98* from our 1s skipper, we chased it down with three overs to spare.
    Oi, calling my captaincy inexplicable twice in the same sentence, how very dare you! 

It was always clear to me that we would collapse from 93-3 off 20 overs to 110-8 soon after - and we would need a decrepit old goat at number 10 to bat out the full 40. 
  • Bexley full house as well on Saturday - 17 ? Year old keeper Ben Alred scoring a ton for their  ones - could be one to watch 
  • Bexley full house as well on Saturday - 17 ? Year old keeper Ben Alred scoring a ton for their  ones - could be one to watch 
    Very good bat - 16 year old who came from Bexleyheath CC and in the current Kent U17 squad
    He batted sensibly, but his glovework wasn't that great. I suspect he was very tired though; we actually called drinks a little early as he was so knackered...
  • edited August 2020
    I had eighteen available for selection this weekend. Dear me. Truly an unprecedented number. I genuinely had no idea what to do - the 3s were sorted by Tuesday, there was no 2s fixture and the 1s were sorted by yesterday!

Of course it's now all perfectly set up for three humiliating defeats despite all the optimism as we roll round to Saturday. To be fair, that is in part because nine of my team (and fifteen of my squad) are bowlers... 
  • Playing for the first time in 2 yrs in Twickenham on Sunday @ Marble Hill Park. Really looking forward to it. Might even look for a club to play for next season, just friendly/social standard, within easy reach of Sidcup. 
  • Playing for the first time in 2 yrs in Twickenham on Sunday @ Marble Hill Park. Really looking forward to it. Might even look for a club to play for next season, just friendly/social standard, within easy reach of Sidcup. 
    If you bat, come play for Old Colfeians 4s. I had nine bowlers today.

And they still pumped us for 310 off 35. Granted, we bowled like drains and their skipper is class and got 160... What was I saying about being a bowling side again? 
  • Hard lines Paddy. Meanwhile over the road, got my all-time best figures of 4-16! However as we speak we're struggling in a chase of 150, mostly as I gave our maybe-best player out lbw. Ah well. He was furious too. But like...dont go across all three and not get forward, man. 
  • Sidcup 1s were 114 all out but could have been worse as they were 21-5 at one point. Seb was one of the five, caught one handed inches of the deck for 11 by some bloke called Alex Blake. Beckenham knocked if off for the loss of one wicket in 22 overs.
  • Sponsored links:

• I appears that Minster have completed the final piece of their jigsaw. Adam Rouse is rumoured to be their new keeper!
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Playing for the first time in 2 yrs in Twickenham on Sunday @ Marble Hill Park. Really looking forward to it. Might even look for a club to play for next season, just friendly/social standard, within easy reach of Sidcup. 
    If you bat, come play for Old Colfeians 4s. I had nine bowlers today.

And they still pumped us for 310 off 35. Granted, we bowled like drains and their skipper is class and got 160... What was I saying about being a bowling side again? 
    Sadly I do everything at a low standard, I just like playing lol. Seriously if you need bodies I'm game. 
  • I appears that Minster have completed the final piece of their jigsaw. Adam Rouse is rumoured to be their new keeper!
    Wasn’t he at the vine ? Perhaps this is the new business he was leaving Kent for ? 
    Sadly lost the game. Posted 190 in our 35 overs which St Ann's reached with 4 overs to spare. Very hot, but a good game was had by all. 
  • "Winning draw" vs Blackheath today. We got 258-2 declared, two tons from our 1s players (not much batting behind mind), then @AshBurton slaved me for 13 overs on the trot! Good game though had by all. 

Will leave Ash to describe my slip catch ;) 
  • @PaddyP17’s slip catch was indeed a screamer, its adhesive qualities no doubt helped by a liberal application of hand sanitiser just before.

After @Leuth’s refusal to accept a wicket two weeks ago, @PaddyP17 followed suit by sportingly overturning a dreadful LBW call in his favour. His reward was not in heaven but arrived the very next ball, clean-bowling their top scorer to remove all doubt. 
  • edited August 2020
    When I heard about 10 minutes ago from my son that Laurie Evans and Ravi Bopara were joining Minster I dismissed it as one of those rumours. Until another source told me that Bopara is currently playing for Minster against the Kent 2nd XI that is!

Edit - there are seven current or ex pros playing for Minster today against what is a Kent Academy/age group side
  • When I heard about 10 minutes ago from my son that Laurie Evans and Ravi Bopara were joining Minster I dismissed it as one of those rumours. Until another source told me that Bopara is currently playing for Minster against the Kent 2nd XI that is!

Edit - there are seven current or ex pros playing for Minster today against what is a Kent Academy/age group side
    I'm sorry WHAT. Who's in that Minster team at the minute then?! Especially as there's no KCL season, this is very surprising
  • PaddyP17 said:
    When I heard about 10 minutes ago from my son that Laurie Evans and Ravi Bopara were joining Minster I dismissed it as one of those rumours. Until another source told me that Bopara is currently playing for Minster against the Kent 2nd XI that is!

I'm sorry WHAT. Who's in that Minster team at the minute then?! Especially as there's no KCL season, this is very surprising
    The game is actually tomorrow so I have been misled to that extent. We will have to see exactly who turns up!
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:

The game is actually tomorrow so I have been misled to that extent. We will have to see exactly who turns up!
    Please do not shoot the messenger when I say this but I have been told that Ravi Bopara is playing today for Minster against Kent 2s. Laurie Evans isn't though because he is on loan at Surrey and that doesn't allow him to play in this game.

And another player I have been told will be joining them next year is a certain Jesse Ryder!
  • Bopara and Ryder both ex Essex - perhaps Mates of Masters ? 
  • Laurie Evans has signed a two year deal with Surrey so the chances of him turning out for Minster now might be limited. Still, he might not even get in the Minster team!

• 7 for 22 nice one 
  • Watching Bickley Park (vs Hayes) chasing 190. BP faves at 49-1 after 10.
  • 7 for 22 nice one 
    There was even a time-honoured 13-run meltdown over in the middle of it 
  • What does the wickets/bowl line indicate ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    What does the wickets/bowl line indicate ?
    If you mean at the bottom, it's the score every over, for however many wickets, and the "bowl" is what number bowler bowled that over.
  • Leuth said:

It was the odd socks wot done it :) 
    What can I say? Oppo 113-0 and on top. @Leuth comes onto bowl and destroys them. 177 all out and we win by 6 wickets.