Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    I think his old cricket stuff is randomly distributed amongst the 3rd XI, Ash! I seem to remember Butler has his pads or something ridiculous.
  • Options
    Budleigh Salterton CC in East Devon are to leave their beautiful Ottermouth ground, for a new ground up the road. All part of some conservation works on the River Otter. They will be torn; their current ground is fantastic but it regularly floods during winter and they can't get insurance. The move is understandable but very sad. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    In some KRCL to KCL news - Downham and Bellingham have completed the signing of one Sam Pope, who was both leading run scorer and wicket taker in the KRCL Prem last season. Quite the coup with several Shoots players also joining D&B, and that'll definitely help them as a club.

Rumours that Pope was going to go to Roebucks on £150 a game are clearly unfounded! Though I'm surprised he didn't take that up, as I think it was definitely on offer wasn't it? Good news for Downham though - really strengthens their side.

The new groundsman for Sidcup Sports Club including, of course, Sidcup CC. Not sure if he will be playing any cricket though.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Budleigh Salterton CC in East Devon are to leave their beautiful Ottermouth ground, for a new ground up the road. All part of some conservation works on the River Otter. They will be torn; their current ground is fantastic but it regularly floods during winter and they can't get insurance. The move is understandable but very sad. 
    That's sad news. I remember the ground well. I also recall crashing into another one of our fielders on that ground as we both tried to take a catch on the boundary. Of all the people to crash into, it was our strong opening bowler. Did either of us take the catch? Er, no.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    In some KRCL to KCL news - Downham and Bellingham have completed the signing of one Sam Pope, who was both leading run scorer and wicket taker in the KRCL Prem last season. Quite the coup with several Shoots players also joining D&B, and that'll definitely help them as a club.

Rumours that Pope was going to go to Roebucks on £150 a game are clearly unfounded! Though I'm surprised he didn't take that up, as I think it was definitely on offer wasn't it? Good news for Downham though - really strengthens their side.

The new groundsman for Sidcup Sports Club including, of course, Sidcup CC. Not sure if he will be playing any cricket though.
    I'd suspect not - who'd want to play on a pitch they've prepared, only for their team-mates to constantly slate it?!
  • Options
    I'm quite pleased with the likely announcement that outdoor sports will resume in time for the cricket season, if all goes well. The Waggoners tend to kick things off with a visit to Four Elms in late April and that's a fixture I've missed of late!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

I'd suspect not - who'd want to play on a pitch they've prepared, only for their team-mates to constantly slate it?!
    He's come from being Millwall's groundsman so if they can forgive that I'm sure they can forgive anything!
  • Options
    That’s wasted on you. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Knocked in ? 
  • Options
    You're in good company Paddy as all the best players use Keeley - Kohli, Gayle, Babar Azam to name but three. Tim, Nick and Keira are always very helpful too but are, at times, a victim of their own success which is why we got Seb's sorted very early.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Knocked in ? 
    Indeed it is! 

And A2TR, we all know this, but the old one finally gave up it seems. At least this should last a few years I guess.
  • Options
    I will be looking at play cricket with interest..barring injury and covid I may be making a few appearances in the krcl this year..good luck for the season
  • Options
    Rumour has it that Jayden Stockley turned up at one of our local team's net sessions this week. He bowls spin! 

This is an article I found relating to his love of cricket:

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/pne-news/exclusive-jayden-stockley-preston-north-end-column-im-stoked-about-englands-ashes-chances-664049
  • Options
    Yep and apparently may be looking at houses in the local area suggesting a possible summer transfer to the Addicks !
  • Options
    Netted a couple of times with the Keeley now. It appears to be made entirely of middle. I feel almost godlike. Even nicking behind feels good.

Can't wait to get out there and do just that tomorrow on the astroturf at Dulwich Sports Ground!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Netted a couple of times with the Keeley now. It appears to be made entirely of middle. I feel almost godlike. Even nicking behind feels good.

Can't wait to get out there and do just that tomorrow on the astroturf at Dulwich Sports Ground!
    Christ, what have I read?

Please let me come to a net of yours to have a go... 😂
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Christ, what have I read?

Please let me come to a net of yours to have a go... 😂
    I'm not saying I'm any good, but I'm certainly more confident with this stick than the old one! Come Southwark Park one day and we'll see what happens, but be warned you'll have to shorten your usual 50-yard run-up.

Also bought a load of pads/thigh pads/batting inners, so I have all the gear and no idea - but it does make a mental difference.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Cricket meets jazz home studio
    Not a very long neck and somewhat light strings for a bass guitar imho. But nice toe guard!
  • Options
    I can't even imagine what my state would have been watching that from the sidelines
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I can't even imagine what my state would have been watching that from the sidelines
    Has to be match dependant .

Ive watched my own son charge down the track to get himself out when the match situation warranted cos he couldn’t score as freely as others who he knew were to come and I’ve seen him bat no.10 and be 15 not out as another batsmen goes from 15 not out to 100 runs .
    Personally I’d not be able to do that if I was paid to , the devil in me always has a go and more often than not I’m back in the pavilion .
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    For any other middle aged cricket lovers on here thinking about a comeback to the great game I can thoroughly recommend doing so!

Just finished my first season back in whites after fifteen years out raising kids but had to reinvent myself as a stodgy opening batsman rather than the ‘fast bowler’ 😂😂😂 of my younger days.

Apart from another bloke in his 40s the rest of the team were all late teens or early 20s but were a great bunch of lads.

Season highlights...

24 off 125 balls vs Bracken Ridge

4 off 90 balls vs Bracken Ridge

9 not out off 110 balls vs Stafford

5 off 93 balls vs Alex Hills

Safe to say that with scoring rates like that I copped a fair bit of abuse from the opposition but that just made me love it even more.

Champagne moment of the season came in the game 9* vs Stafford when after being run less for well over an hour their left arm seamer bowled a half volley that I drove for two through cover.

“Fuck me! At least we know he’s still alive!” their gobby keeper exclaimed - even I had to chuckle at that one!

Cant wait for next season but will need to find a way to up my scoring rate.....
    Four off NINETY?! How did your team-mates tolerate this?! Were you playing timeless Tests or something?
    It was a very hot day mate.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    For any other middle aged cricket lovers on here thinking about a comeback to the great game I can thoroughly recommend doing so!

Just finished my first season back in whites after fifteen years out raising kids but had to reinvent myself as a stodgy opening batsman rather than the ‘fast bowler’ 😂😂😂 of my younger days.

Apart from another bloke in his 40s the rest of the team were all late teens or early 20s but were a great bunch of lads.

Season highlights...

24 off 125 balls vs Bracken Ridge

4 off 90 balls vs Bracken Ridge

9 not out off 110 balls vs Stafford

5 off 93 balls vs Alex Hills

Safe to say that with scoring rates like that I copped a fair bit of abuse from the opposition but that just made me love it even more.

Champagne moment of the season came in the game 9* vs Stafford when after being run less for well over an hour their left arm seamer bowled a half volley that I drove for two through cover.

“Fuck me! At least we know he’s still alive!” their gobby keeper exclaimed - even I had to chuckle at that one!

Cant wait for next season but will need to find a way to up my scoring rate.....
    Four off NINETY?! How did your team-mates tolerate this?! Were you playing timeless Tests or something?
    It was a very hot day mate.
    I assume a team total of 50 was regarded as insurmountable then?! Fantastic stuff though; I'd love to see an innings like that.

Less said about today the better. Suffice to say that there was a miscommunication about team strength, compounded by some truly awful batting for us, and a second game was necessary.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    It wasn't so bad. I top-scored in our better innings! With...19 :/