Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Yasir Arafat from Bromley to Roebucks
    This is hilarious. Surely he doesn't need the bunce?!
  • Options
    We scored 301-1 in our 40 overs against Great Waltham 3rds 
    120 for a 14 year old kid (who was supposed to be batting at 4 but there was a mix up when the skipper gave the batting order out amongst our space cadet youngsters ) and 143 not out for the other opener .
    I did the scoring and it was hard work with my limited attention span but luckily their scorer with all the coloured pens and doing dots etc for each batsman was there and between us we managed it , although he was an ipswich fan who I waffled with about football for most of the time .
    in the chase the oppos first 4 balls went dolly drop (my son , no dinner) 4 , 4, another dolly drop . Thankfully they were never getting near our total my son bowled 7 overs 0-16 and I bowled 2 shit overs late on for 25 trying to tempt them to buy some wickets and they ended up about 220-4 . I took a sharp catch at short mid wicket but the oppos top scorer was a 70 year old who’d played at Wembley twice in the FA Vase and played for Gloucestershire 2nds in his earlier years 70 odd not out he looked class all the way .
    On a side note we play in a park and you get stray chavs walking across the playing area quite often and one delightful young lady with her young son took exception to being asked to get off the outfield and was telling our skipper “ don’t fucking talk to me like that in front of my fucking son’”  classy 🙄
    Gotta love cricket though, there’s more odd balls involved in it than a Charlton away following on a midweek trip to the arse end of nowhere . I fit in perfectly with the freak show !
    Quiet well spoken for an Essex girl really!
  • Options
    Seb's current team, Sidcup 1s, played his old team, Bexley 2s. 

Bexley won the toss and batted. Despite missing two of their best bowlers (one of them actually managed to roll a sight screen wheel over his foot) and an excellent 103 from Bexley's number 3, Sidcup managed to restrict Bexley to 228-7 off 50 overs. That did seem 30 or so runs light.

Following the second ball departure of his opening partner and despite being dropped on 27 by one of his best mates, Seb went into the drinks break on 49. And following the first ball of that break he was back in the pavilion - out plumb LBW, to that very same friend, trying to turn one round the corner. The cessation in play was long enough for this genius to work out that he needed one for his 50 - and exactly how he was going to get it. When "over thinking" takes over from instinct! An unbeaten 91 from Sidcup's skipper saw them win with just under 4 overs to spare and by 6 wickets. So a decent warm up for their first League game against Bromley Common. Hopefully the sight screen victim will be fit enough to play!

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

He was doing lots of coaching at Bromley but it seems this may be more fallout from the bar room fight/Logan affair that has seen lots of departures from Plaistow Lane?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

He was doing lots of coaching at Bromley but it seems this may be more fallout from the bar room fight/Logan affair that has seen lots of departures from Plaistow Lane?
    We probably need to be a bit careful about what we say on here about that incident, beyond what has already been said, as I believe that it is the subject of a court case too?
  • Options
    Is Chris lewis still at Roebucks ? 
  • Options
    Is Chris lewis still at Roebucks ? 
    He didn't play for them last year and hasn't so far this but I suppose we might see him once the League action begins. Another former England player who was turning out for them, Usman Afzaal, is now playing for a club in Derbyshire.
  • Options
    whats happened with playing numbers this season ? Is everyone flocking back to club cricket ?  
  • Options
    whats happened with playing numbers this season ? Is everyone flocking back to club cricket ?  
    We're trying to get five sides out on a Saturday for the first time in about nine years. It is GLORIOUS.

Anyone know any grounds that could be hired?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks that way. I’ve never known so many pre-season friendlies! We potentially have up to 60 players available for our 4 league sides next Saturday, so may be looking for a 5th XI friendly. 
  • Options
    I know that Sidcup have been able to get more sides out for friendlies this year than they have in previous for League match weekends. And all their colt age group numbers are massively up.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    We're trying to get five sides out on a Saturday for the first time in about nine years. It is GLORIOUS.

Find another side with 5 Saturday sides ? Ground may be free every other week ? 
  • Options
    Replay that inter-club game, losing side have to forfeit their registrations 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Think we're a bit late in the day unfortunately and are trying to find friendlies on an ad-hoc basis for now. But we'll see how many we retain a few weeks down the line!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Think we're a bit late in the day unfortunately and are trying to find friendlies on an ad-hoc basis for now. But we'll see how many we retain a few weeks down the line!
    That's the problem with club cricket. One minute you're scratching around for a team, the next you have to tell one or two there is no game for them! I used to skipper back in the late 70s the Sidcup Sunday 3s and had exactly that problem. But I made sure that I down played anyone getting a ton ("he was dropped at least six times") or anyone who got a 5 fer ("their tail started at 5") in order to keep them in the side!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

That's the problem with club cricket. One minute you're scratching around for a team, the next you have to tell one or two there is no game for them! I used to skipper back in the late 70s the Sidcup Sunday 3s and had exactly that problem. But I made sure that I down played anyone getting a ton ("he was dropped at least six times") or anyone who got a 5 fer (their tail started at 5) in order to keep them in the side!
    I suppose there lies the issue - as soon as you are telling players there isn’t a game for them it’s difficult  to keep their interest , unless you rotate the players in the lowest side. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Having spoken to the groundsman yesterday he said there was an incident 3-4 years ago when,  as above,  there was a mobility scooter pitch invader who stopped on the square to make a protest during a match!
    When asked what his protest was over he gave no response but in the basket on the front of the mobility scooter were half a dozen empty cans of beer and he was supping from another with a couple unopened (it was 2pm) 
    After a coulple of minutes Mexican stand off and some failed attempted negotiations , the threat of the police being called saw scooter man clear off …. Bizarre !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unfortunately, a combination of the 1s needing an extra man, the 2s potentially needing their original spares, and a lack of available grounds/oppositions has meant a 5th XI is ever so slightly far-fetched for now.

But, that'll change as the season moves apace I'm sure!
  • Options
    We scored 301-1 in our 40 overs against Great Waltham 3rds 
    120 for a 14 year old kid (who was supposed to be batting at 4 but there was a mix up when the skipper gave the batting order out amongst our space cadet youngsters ) and 143 not out for the other opener .
    I did the scoring and it was hard work with my limited attention span but luckily their scorer with all the coloured pens and doing dots etc for each batsman was there and between us we managed it , although he was an ipswich fan who I waffled with about football for most of the time .
    in the chase the oppos first 4 balls went dolly drop (my son , no dinner) 4 , 4, another dolly drop . Thankfully they were never getting near our total my son bowled 7 overs 0-16 and I bowled 2 shit overs late on for 25 trying to tempt them to buy some wickets and they ended up about 220-4 . I took a sharp catch at short mid wicket but the oppos top scorer was a 70 year old who’d played at Wembley twice in the FA Vase and played for Gloucestershire 2nds in his earlier years 70 odd not out he looked class all the way .
    On a side note we play in a park and you get stray chavs walking across the playing area quite often and one delightful young lady with her young son took exception to being asked to get off the outfield and was telling our skipper “ don’t fucking talk to me like that in front of my fucking son’”  classy 🙄
    Gotta love cricket though, there’s more odd balls involved in it than a Charlton away following on a midweek trip to the arse end of nowhere . I fit in perfectly with the freak show !
    This is absolute quality and we get exactly the same sort of 'fan interactions' here in Oz.

Our home ground is technically in a public park although it's not very busy but you do get the odd problem.

There are very strict public liability rules in place over here so if someone gets sconed whilst inside the playing area it's actually really bad for the club because we are responsible for keeping people off the playing area.

Ironically, if they get sconed when not in the playing area then its 100% their problem!

Anyway, our captain is a short, fat chap and is far, far gobbier than he has any right to be since he is far more Roland Browning than Gripper Stebson.

Early this season we are in the field and some old guy drives right across the outfield in his mobility scooter.

"Get off the pitch mate," shouts the skipper.

Ignored.

"Hey f---wit, get off the f-----g pitch."

Ignored.

"Are you deaf as well as blind, get off our f----g pitch you dozy old ****."

On hearing the last one the old bloke in the mobility scooter has done no more than pull a U-turn and then drive right towards where the skip was fielding at gully - driving right over the wicket naturally - and pulls his massive rolled-up umbrella out the side of his scooter and starts trying to whack the skipper with it.

Having administered a couple of decent whacks to the skipper's turned back the old bugger then drove away again without saying a single word.

Later the same day the skip was bowled first ball leaving a straight one too and to be absolutely fair he lost a fair amount of his authority as captain that day too.

Great story from a former work colleague

Back the 70’s he was playing an away game in a village in Surrey which is close to Broome Hall, which is where where Oliver Reed used to live

They are playing, home side is fielding, my former colleague Peter is batting - bowler starts his run up, but then stops

Peter hears the tooting of a car horn, and lots of shouting from the boundary - looks over and a vintage Rolls Royce is being driven very slowly across the outfield - driving is Keith Moon and hanging out of the window is Oliver Reed, waving a bottle of wine and shouting abuse at the cricketers 

All the fielders stand to one side, and the car rolls gentle across the wicket

Peter can see that Moon and Reed are both utterly pissed out of their brains - car drives off, game resumes as if nothing had happened

Home side tell him it’s a regular occurrence, and they just put up with it !!
    My God, I would have loved to have seen that.

That must be the house in Surrey where Oliver used to have Alex Higgins over to stay and they would down bottles of whiskey while playing snooker!
  • Options
    All four Colfeians games called off today. Oh well. Secretly glad Holmesdale was called for us as they're quite a decent side!
  • Options
    The Umpires for the Sidcup 1s game are inspecting at 12.30 and the hope is that they will be able to play a reduced over match. Their scorer is still at home and won't be leaving 'til he gets confirmation of a start time as he doesn't fancy standing in the rain or sitting in his car for the duration!
  • Options
    The Umpires for the Sidcup 1s game are inspecting at 12.30 and the hope is that they will be able to play a reduced over match. Their scorer is still at home and won't be leaving 'til he gets confirmation of a start time as he doesn't fancy standing in the rain or sitting in his car for the duration!
    It's off
  • Options
    Our away fixture at Canvey Island was on reduced to a 32 over match with a slightly delayed start .
    Oppo got 178 
    I took a simple catch but turned down bowling cos back not feeling great 
    My son bowled 6 overs 0 for 28 and had a couple dropped 
    One of our youngsters took a michelle 

Our opener who is a 30 year old space cadet followed up his magnificent 143 not out by batting us out of the game the wrong way this time
    He was so slow and the bowling wasn't all that but when we needed 49 off 5 overs with 6 wickets left dot dot dot isn't the way to go 
    he got a 50 that no one clapped and ended up getting out on 60ish with 2 balls left and as he left the field no one clapped 
    as we ended 25ish runs short 
    he wasn't chancing his arm as the run rate just gradually rose and rose .

he said I didn't know what to do ffs 
    i said go big or go home 
    So bizarre