Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Anyone avoid the ball travelling fast at them with frozen fingers ?
    Wouldn’t have fancied fielding in the]at temperature today 
  • Options
    edited April 2021

I just want to be clear what I can and can't do under the new guidance from the ECB so far as Step 2 Covid rules are concerned:

Spectators are not currently permitted at Step 2. This does not apply to carers for people with disabilities, adults needed to supervise under-18s in a safeguarding role or patrons attending the venue for hospitality. Where it is necessary for them to be present, supervising adults should not mix with others from outside their household or support bubble.

Following the move to Step 2, outdoor areas at hospitality venues can reopen to serve customers in groups of up to 6 people or 2 households. • Clubhouses are permitted to serve food and beverage to customers outdoors in accordance with government COVID guidance for restaurants and bars.

So I can go and sit in a public park (presumably such as Dartford CC) with five other people as long as no cricket is going on and if there is preumably I need to turn my back on it. But I am not allowed to sit and watch a game of cricket at private club even if I am on my own and 50 yards away from the nearest person. But I can watch the game and get drunk with five other people in a designated drinking area at that very same club. And as I am not allowed to watch that game on my own miles away from any other bugger I am free to go on a shopping expedition and queue up with as many people as I like instead.

That all makes sense.

PS I assume, as scorer, I will be exempt from all of this crap!

• Options
    Thats madness

but i can stand and watch my kids play/train at football keeping social distance etc 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Thats madness

but i can stand and watch my kids play/train at football keeping social distance etc 
    It's potentially even worse for me unless there is some sort of exemption - Seb was 18 two weeks ago so he is now deemed to be an adult. Under these rules I wouldn't be allowed to watch him play for Kent U18 but the parent of a lad who has yet to reach 18 could! Equally, they play Middlesex in a couple of weeks time at a ground that is 5 miles from Watford. I will have to take him as they aren't allowed to travel together so what am I expected to do for the day? Go and sit outside a pub?

I didn't leave the house for 10 weeks from the 23rd December so I do recognise the need to stay safe. I have had the vaccine and am happy to test myself twice a week.  And I am a fully paid up Member at two Clubs and some of those frequenting them won't be. I've also made a number of additional financial contributions to help in these difficult times.

As I say I will be scoring for the Club so, to a degree, this is irrelevant except on the occasions, such as the one above, when I won't be required. My annoyance is more at the hypocrisy of the Government and the ECB in dictating that doing something that is totally safe (sitting on your own or with other members of your household) isn't permitted but mixing with members of five other households when consuming alcohol is. 
  • Options
    Totally agree @Addick Addict what happened to common sense? 
  • Options
    Common sense is usually sacrificed at the altar of applying standards fit for only the most reckless of citizens to the whole herd. I'm sure nobody will bat an eyelid if you watch with sensible precautions
  • Options
    Sometimes I think that common sense is rather uncommon.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Common sense is usually sacrificed at the altar of applying standards fit for only the most reckless of citizens to the whole herd. I'm sure nobody will bat an eyelid if you watch with sensible precautions
    Received an email from Kent this afternoon. All drivers are required to drop the players off and leave immediately and not return until the game has finished. So that will be the case for the next four Sundays including the trip to Middlesex! 
  • Options
    Ugh.

Meanwhile I noticed that the promising young son and daughter of one of my former Roan teammates are both in the Kent squads (U16 and senior women's)...doubtless a few of the other age-group players have battered my bowling around in their time
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Received an email from Kent this afternoon. All drivers are required to drop the players off and leave immediately and not return until the game has finished. So that will be the case for the next four Sundays including the trip to Middlesex! 
    Only just seen this. Absolutely ridiculous rule! That must be very frustrating. 

To put this into context, there must have been 30-40 spectators / bar-dwellers at our friendly at Catford & Cyphers last Sunday. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    Only just seen this. Absolutely ridiculous rule! That must be very frustrating. 

To put this into context, there must have been 30-40 spectators / bar-dwellers at our friendly at Catford & Cyphers last Sunday. 
    The ECB have now confirmed that one parent will be able to attend per player which is partial good news but still doesn't address the overall situation where spectators are being herded into 5% of a ground's footprint.

As I mentioned on the England thread, I have taken this up with the ECB and enlisted the help of a friend of mine who is an MP as well as my own MP. I'm not sure that it will change anything but, at least, it will serve to highlight the ludicrous hypocrisy of the situation - even more so if you happen to play at say Hesketh Park, for example. as the ECB have admitted that there is very little that a Club that plays in a publicly owned ground can do to stop people sitting on benches and watching a game!

Seb injured his thumb last Friday and missed Sunday's game as a result. However, I am given to understand that one or two parents were spotted in the bushes watching the match - quite what their defence would have been had the Police caught them I really don't because viewing under age boys whilst hiding doesn't really stand up to scrutiny on any count! 

• Options
    Haha, very true. And watching the cricket from an adjacent outside hospitality area seems to be perfectly fine. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Apparently I played cricket against Andy Jones yesterday! Came up in post-match conversation that I support Charlton and the opposition skipper said Andy Jones had been fielding at cover all the time I batted (Jones left shortly after the game). He's turning out for Hampshire Over 50s these days. 

• Options
    @Addick Addict
    I see that young Seb got a ton for Sidcup 1st XI vs Holmesdale.
    Please pass on congratulations.
    Happy days!
    Thanks MLC, hopefully a sign of things to come. Holmesdale are in the Kent Prem and a division above Sidcup and that ultimately proved to be the case as they chased down 235 in 30 overs. At 174-6 we were in with a chance but that was rather scuppered when their number 8 hit 33 in one over!
  • Options
    @Addick Addict
    Happy days!
    Thanks MLC, hopefully a sign of things to come. Holmesdale are in the Kent Prem and a division above Sidcup and that ultimately proved to be the case as they chased down 235 in 30 overs. At 174-6 we were in with a chance but that was rather scuppered when their number 8 hit 33 in one over!
    33 !
    Dare I ask who the unlucky bowler was?
  • Options
    @Addick Addict
    Happy days!
    33 !
    Dare I ask who the unlucky bowler was?
    Alex Copp - to be fair to him, it was his first and only over so far of the season and he is an off spinner bowling to the short boundary and their number 8 was fetching everything including one ball that was probably a yard outside off stump - he also had a free hit following a no ball so at least it was off 7 balls and not 6!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just remember: if you reach the last ball of your spell and there's a child on strike, always consider the 30mph dolly-drop. They may well plink it straight to cover 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Just remember: if you reach the last ball of your spell and there's a child on strike, always consider the 30mph dolly-drop. They may well plink it straight to cover 
    Not to mention the speciality first ball of the spell wide long hop which had the same result. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Will add this to my list of (currently standing at 1) sporting lore. 

The other being a fiver on the five dog in the last race. 
  • Options
    They were 23-9 at one point with 34 out of the total 44 scored by one player, next top score was 6 and the other 9 batsmen made 2 runs between them!!!!
  • Options
    Umpired at Catford Cyphers on Saturday, 4s friendly.
    First time in my 40 year club cricket career that I've seen 4 wickets in 4 balls.
    Veteran leggie came on for Catford and took out 4 of our top 7 - stumped , bowled, caught, lbw.
    Despite that, we (OD CUACO CC) managed to defend 151 to win by 3 runs.

Will always remember you @mid_life_crisis as that very correct chubby young batsmen who used to get run out too often..must be 40 years ago now
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    The Colfeians 4th XI lost by about 90 runs yesterday, which is comprehensive, but spare a thought for The Baldons CC... https://oxforddownscc.play-cricket.com/website/results/4885515

More importantly..hows the flashing blade? 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    The Colfeians 4th XI lost by about 90 runs yesterday, which is comprehensive, but spare a thought for The Baldons CC... https://oxforddownscc.play-cricket.com/website/results/4885515

More importantly..hows the flashing blade? 
    Have a look yourself! Hopefully the timestamp (5:23:15) works - this was the second of back-to-back fours. I scored a massive 11 batting at 10 (probably could've scored more but for overbalancing on a leg stump slower ball), which is more runs than can be said for most of our lot.

I'd also like to recommend finding me running a three(!), at 5:13:54, where you can sense the panic around where I turn for the second run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hleWEu_pOhg&t=19395s