Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    lolwray said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    The Colfeians 4th XI lost by about 90 runs yesterday, which is comprehensive, but spare a thought for The Baldons CC... https://oxforddownscc.play-cricket.com/website/results/4885515

More importantly..hows the flashing blade? 
    Have a look yourself! Hopefully the timestamp (5:23:15) works - this was the second of back-to-back fours. I scored a massive 11 batting at 10 (probably could've scored more but for overbalancing on a leg stump slower ball), which is more runs than can be said for most of our lot.

I'd also like to recommend finding me running a three(!), at 5:13:54, where you can sense the panic around where I turn for the second run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hleWEu_pOhg&t=19395s 
    The best bit about this video is that someone knocks the camera askew so the action's out of shot, and then fixes it just in time for the over beginning at 2:38:40 to be seen
  • Options
    They were 23-9 at one point with 34 out of the total 44 scored by one player, next top score was 6 and the other 9 batsmen made 2 runs between them!!!!
    And the fella who scored the 34 was the last wicket and RUN OUT ffs  you had over 26 overs left !
  • Options
    Paddy’s a moody leftie bat ffs 
    shouldn’t be allowed unless batting with another leftie 

• Options
    lolwray said:
    Umpired at Catford Cyphers on Saturday, 4s friendly.
    First time in my 40 year club cricket career that I've seen 4 wickets in 4 balls.
    Veteran leggie came on for Catford and took out 4 of our top 7 - stumped , bowled, caught, lbw.
    Despite that, we (OD CUACO CC) managed to defend 151 to win by 3 runs.

Will always remember you @mid_life_crisis as that very correct chubby young batsmen who used to get run out too often..must be 40 years ago now
    40 years indeed - where did that go! 
    and a very fair summary...
    Was asking after you on Saturday - hope all is well.
  • Options

I just want to be clear what I can and can't do under the new guidance from the ECB so far as Step 2 Covid rules are concerned:

Spectators are not currently permitted at Step 2. This does not apply to carers for people with disabilities, adults needed to supervise under-18s in a safeguarding role or patrons attending the venue for hospitality. Where it is necessary for them to be present, supervising adults should not mix with others from outside their household or support bubble.

Following the move to Step 2, outdoor areas at hospitality venues can reopen to serve customers in groups of up to 6 people or 2 households. • Clubhouses are permitted to serve food and beverage to customers outdoors in accordance with government COVID guidance for restaurants and bars.

So I can go and sit in a public park (presumably such as Dartford CC) with five other people as long as no cricket is going on and if there is preumably I need to turn my back on it. But I am not allowed to sit and watch a game of cricket at private club even if I am on my own and 50 yards away from the nearest person. But I can watch the game and get drunk with five other people in a designated drinking area at that very same club. And as I am not allowed to watch that game on my own miles away from any other bugger I am free to go on a shopping expedition and queue up with as many people as I like instead.

That all makes sense.

PS I assume, as scorer, I will be exempt from all of this crap!

This is the ECB's response to my complaint:

Thank you for your correspondence and we fully understand the potential for confusion in the application of the UK Government’s guidance on spectators. ECB’s guidance is following the advice we have received from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport. 

The wellbeing of cricket fans is greatly supported by be part of their local club, whether it is playing, watching or volunteering. Now more than ever, in these unprecedented times, our cricket clubs are the very beating hearts of our communities and we are doing everything we can to make sure our clubs can survive and thrive as we emerge from the latest, and what we all hope is the last lockdown.

At the current time, Government has said that spectating at organised sporting events with large gatherings are not permitted until at least 17th May or Step 3 of the Prime Minister’s road map. The Government’s guidance treats an outdoor hospitality area as a separate space (even though it can be in view of a match).

Please be assured the ECB, working with other sports have made the strongest possible representations for people to be allowed to watch our wonderful game as soon as is possible but we understand the Government has to look at the easing of restrictions across society and make sure that this can be done safely and at the right time. From 17th May, we hope cricket clubs across England and Wales will be back to what we know they do best, giving more people in our communities the chance to enjoy our wonderful game.
  • Options
    What a load of old flannel 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    First time in my 40 year club cricket career that I've seen 4 wickets in 4 balls.
    Veteran leggie came on for Catford and took out 4 of our top 7 - stumped , bowled, caught, lbw.

Will always remember you @mid_life_crisis as that very correct chubby young batsmen who used to get run out too often..must be 40 years ago now
    Cheers Dave 

I have moved away/am too old/play the odd game down here/am injured...perm any of the above....anyway got me thinking about your dad and your brother, bless em both...have a good season playing or umpiring or telling people how good you were when you were young ( it's so long ago there's no one around to confirm) 

Take it easy coya 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @Addick Addict - hello mate, reckon Seb will be playing tomorrow in the T20 against OCs? Not sure if I'll end up making it down there but be interested to see how it all goes.

EDIT: Aah, just heard it's been called off. Ah well, sometimes that's the way it is
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    PaddyP17 said:
    @Addick Addict - hello mate, reckon Seb will be playing tomorrow in the T20 against OCs? Not sure if I'll end up making it down there but be interested to see how it all goes.

EDIT: Aah, just heard it's been called off. Ah well, sometimes that's the way it is

He wasn't going to be playing but then his school game got called off so he was then playing. He could have done with it having been played because he has only had one game to date (missed two matches because he was doing his Level 1 Coaching Badge, was injured for one school game and two Kent matches and another school game now called off because of a Covid case) and has yet to keep which he will be doing now for the first time on Sunday against Middlesex. Fortunately for any rustiness and any drops or missed stumpings it is only a friendly!

Hopefully at some point in a white ball comp the two teams will come across each other this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:
    lolwray said:

Cheers Dave 

I have moved away/am too old/play the odd game down here/am injured...perm any of the above....anyway got me thinking about your dad and your brother, bless em both...have a good season playing or umpiring or telling people how good you were when you were young ( it's so long ago there's no one around to confirm) 

Take it easy coya 
    Thank you, I'm touched by those kind words.

Wish you well Laurie.
  • Options
    Alex Blake is being followed to Hayes by Will MacVicar - what's going on there and at Beckenham?!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Alex Blake is being followed to Hayes by Will MacVicar - what's going on there and at Beckenham?!
    Money? Not good news for Sidcup but at least Minster will have a couple of decent games!

I believe that about 10 players have left Bromley with many of them going to Bromley Common but they are mostly outside the 1st X1
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Money? Not good news for Sidcup but at least Minster will have a couple of decent games!

I believe that about 10 players have left Bromley with many of them going to Bromley Common but they are mostly outside the 1st X1
    A yet to be confirmed rumour suggests that the exodus from Beckenham to Hayes is not restricted to Blake and MacVicar either
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Yep, apparently there was a (literal!) altercation between Sam Smith and a lot of others, so they've shipped out en masse to Common.
  • Options
    Jason Benn to Bickley Park - or was that last season ? 
  • Options
    Last season
  • Options
    Callum McLeod to Lordswood ? 
  • Options
    Was there on Sunday and had a chat with their lads - he's moved down to teach that way and Linden Lockhart sweet-talked him, I think. Think he's getting a financial consideration, too.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Was there on Sunday and had a chat with their lads - he's moved down to teach that way and Linden Lockhart sweet-talked him, I think. Think he's getting a financial consideration, too.
    Surprised that any clubs have got money to spend on players after the past year or so - but there still seems to be plenty around .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Warren Lee to Catford Cyphers?
  • Options
    Head of Junior cricket. May turn out for the 3rds if they are really strapped  for a  player on occasion!
  • Options
    Grant Basey to Bexley
  • Options
    That’s more of a shock - that’s got to be for cash 
  • Options
    That’s more of a shock - that’s got to be for cash 
    Surprisingly no, he's not around for many games this season and it's really local to him apparently, so he's doing it out of convenience.
  • Options
    I guess there was always going to be some movement after losing a season. Surprised that Blake and McVicar are going down to div 1. I'm not sure if many clubs will have an overseas player this year, what with travel restrictions? There's plenty of money around due to the grants a lot of clubs got last summer.

I am looking forward to warming up this weekend before the league games start on 8th.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I guess there was always going to be some movement after losing a season. Surprised that Blake and McVicar are going down to div 1. I'm not sure if many clubs will have an overseas player this year, what with travel restrictions? There's plenty of money around due to the grants a lot of clubs got last summer.

I am looking forward to warming up this weekend before the league games start on 8th.
    Dont think the intention was for them to be used to pay players though
  • Options
    Yasir Arafat from Bromley to Roebucks