Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    AshBurton said:
    I’m in bits too, having kept wicket for the first time in over 30 years in the OCs Sunday friendly at Sidcup. A maiden career stumping at the age of 58 and only 3 byes in 40 overs, not too shabby. We won by 4 wickets chasing 146 due to our debutant opening bowler going in at 86-6 and smashing a violent 42 not out. One of his three 6s took out an neighbouring outhouse roof. (I was next in, so yet another DNB for my collection). 
    I assume it was a smart leg-side stumping standing up to the debutant quick and you are just being modest.
    Modesty is my middle name. But in this case a batsman even older than me advanced down the wicket to our leggie and was done by the spin. I had only 10 seconds to whip off the bails before he regained his ground. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    CAFC Luke said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Oh, in other news, Whitstable won by ten wickets on Saturday in Div III, chasing Orpington's 174/9 off 50 down in 18.1 overs.

A certain B Gould ended on an imperious 139*, his innings including 11 fours and 13 sixes! Quite an astonishing display of batting and fair enough.
    @cantersaddick and I went to uni with Buzz and the guy's got an incredible eye. Was part of a very very good team which won the indoor national championships as well. 
    I didn't make the connection that it was him. Didn't have a massive amount to do with him. Reckon the only conversation I had with him was him shouting "down it" at me during cricket club initiations. "It" was a pint containing tuna and other unpleasantries. 
  • Options
    CAFC Luke said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Oh, in other news, Whitstable won by ten wickets on Saturday in Div III, chasing Orpington's 174/9 off 50 down in 18.1 overs.

A certain B Gould ended on an imperious 139*, his innings including 11 fours and 13 sixes! Quite an astonishing display of batting and fair enough.
    @cantersaddick and I went to uni with Buzz and the guy's got an incredible eye. Was part of a very very good team which won the indoor national championships as well. 
    I didn't make the connection that it was him. Didn't have a massive amount to do with him. Reckon the only conversation I had with him was him shouting "down it" at me during cricket club initiations. It was a pint containing tuna and other unpleasantries. 
    I’m guessing he’s the same Byron Gould who’s just become national news due to tweets from Ollie Robinson?
  • Options
    CAFC Luke said:
    PaddyP17 said:

I didn't make the connection that it was him. Didn't have a massive amount to do with him. Reckon the only conversation I had with him was him shouting "down it" at me during cricket club initiations. It was a pint containing tuna and other unpleasantries. 
    I’m guessing he’s the same Byron Gould who’s just become national news due to tweets from Ollie Robinson?
    One would assume so. I'm not sure of the connection (I thought it was the other Ollie Robinson from Kent) but cricket is a small world
  • Options
    CAFC Luke said:
    CAFC Luke said:
    PaddyP17 said:

One would assume so. I'm not sure of the connection (I thought it was the other Ollie Robinson from Kent) but cricket is a small world
    Same bloke I'm certain. There might be a few Ollie Robinsons, but there aren't many Byron Goulds. Both have deleted their accounts now (not sure if Byron deleted his earlier) but.. ohhhhhhhh boy
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    PaddyP17 said:
    CAFC Luke said:
    CAFC Luke said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Same bloke I'm certain. There might be a few Ollie Robinsons, but there aren't many Byron Goulds. Both have deleted their accounts now (not sure if Byron deleted his earlier) but.. ohhhhhhhh boy
    Yes, it certainly is Buzz and Ollie have been best friends for years..
    I know Ollie and Buzz very well, having played with and against both for years, (shared many of beers) and did live in the next village to the Gould’s. 

Ollie has Matured a lot since those tweets, and it was around the time he was kicked off Kent’s books, for turning up drunk, and not showing for a 2s game. I am pretty sure at that point Ollie wouldn’t have thought in his wildest dreams he would go on to play for England. 

But what a jobsworth the person who has back tracked 8 years to look for dirt on someone on the biggest day of there career.. 

Buzz without a shadow of doubt, is one of the cleanest hitters of a cricket ball I have ever seen, when he gets in, it’s unreal to watch!

I really hope all this doesn’t affect Ollie international career, and the ECB don’t make this something to make them look good in the battle equality.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    CAFC Luke said:
    CAFC Luke said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Yes, it certainly is Buzz and Ollie have been best friends for years..
    I know Ollie and Buzz very well, having played with and against both for years, (shared many of beers) and did live in the next village to the Gould’s. 

Ollie has Matured a lot since those tweets, and it was around the time he was kicked off Kent’s books, for turning up drunk, and not showing for a 2s game. I am pretty sure at that point Ollie wouldn’t have thought in his wildest dreams he would go on to play for England. 

But what a jobsworth the person who has back tracked 8 years to look for dirt on someone on the biggest day of there career.. 

Buzz without a shadow of doubt, is one of the cleanest hitters of a cricket ball I have ever seen, when he gets in, it’s unreal to watch!

I really hope all this doesn’t affect Ollie international career, and the ECB don’t make this something to make them look good in the battle equality.
    I read the piece about Ollie on the BBC Sport website saying how he'd gone from being sacked by Yorkshire - and the glimpses into his lifestyle there - to where he is now.

It's obviously massively disappointing to read those tweets, and at 18/19 I'm personally less inclined to give him the leeway than if he'd have been a couple of years younger, but I think it's reflective of the massive twat he evidently was, and now probably isn't.

Do those tweets make him racist? Probably not. Sexist? Again... some grim attitudes there, but hopefully not.

I wouldn't want to have a selfie or pint with the bloke, but I also wouldn't think those views are reflective of him as a person today.
  • Options
    Main spinners in OCs 1s, 3s and 4s on Saturday: 30.4-9-38-10 :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Was a bit silly really. Chuck in Andra from the 2s and you get 36-10-53-12 as well, and that was him bowling in an attempted defence of 100! The Colfes tracks have been fairly spin-friendly but I was away from home and 7-2-7-2 are decent enough figures, even if at Loring Hall.

We won by one wicket, with Gethin hitting the winning run and I've never celebrated so hard in my life. I've mentioned him before on this thread but he's got more not outs than runs, an average of 1.08 and a top score of 7*. 

Hopefully we can keep the winning feeling in the next few weeks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reminds me of that game at Catford a couple of years ago where your good self did the damage at number 11!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    So you've seen off the best opening attack in Div 1 in the form of David and Dan Masters. First ball from the new bowler, he sprays it down the leg side with the keeper standing up and the likelihood is that it's going for 5 wides. However, you've yet to score and you think it's a certain boundary if you just get something on it (23.30 minute):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO3n_VoK80U

If you listen afterwards you can hear "head up Dave" being uttered on several occasions - a reference to David Masters bowling on the spot and getting nought for it only to see his replacement getting the cheapest of wickets, the first of three wickets in that over. You can also appreciate how the setting at Minster lends itself to an "echo" as evidenced by the appeal for LBW for the 3rd dismissal off the final ball of the over!   
  • Options
    We got a top of the table clash tomorrow 
    we’re 2nd but think it’s a false position because we’ve played more games with everyone else getting rained off we sneaked games in and we’ve played a few down the bottom .
    Positive me thinks we get tonked Terling 2nds been smashing teams up 
    we lost to canvey island as well 

• Options
    Rather unhappily, I have done either my MCL or one of the menisci near it. I'm hoping 'tis but a scratch of course, but I can't really move effectively so I'm out for at least the next few weeks. 

At least it helps solve selection dilemmas! But very gutted to be sidelined - I rather live for this sport. Will still be attending each and every game, though.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Rather unhappily, I have done either my MCL or one of the menisci near it. I'm hoping 'tis but a scratch of course, but I can't really move effectively so I'm out for at least the next few weeks. 

At least it helps solve selection dilemmas! But very gutted to be sidelined - I rather live for this sport. Will still be attending each and every game, though.

Hope you have a speedy recovery Paddy
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    At this stage I really fancy a bowl at the Goulds. Let's arrange a friendly.
    May be bowling at him in the league this Sat. Be careful what you wish for 
    Of all the grounds to be bowling to Gould at too - it's a chip for a maximum! He isn't the only one that can hit it in the Whitstable attack either as they have a current Kent U18 lad who gives it a right thump.

Just remember Leuth - it only takes one ball
  • Options
    Good luck with your recovery Paddy .
    F’king nightmare getting an injury as the season warms up .
    Im pretending I’m not fucked with my groin and knee agg , managing to blag through it and in 9th league cricket I can get by , just .
    Two games last weekend killed me and I won’t do that again unless they’re short .
    I literally can’t wait for the next game with my 15 year old son and is the highlight of the week as we go to the game discussing the team and then the after match inquest on the way home when he somehow finds a voice and we talk rather than the rest of the week when it’s a grunt .
  • Options
    Leuth figures prediction if oppo bat first 
    6 overs 0 maidens 66 runs 1 wicket 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Wishing you better 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you get a tumbril from the station? 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Train to Whitstable has the slight feeling of a prisoner's final journey to the gallows 
    Gould B    Bowled Leuth   0
  • Options
    Yeah I'm definitely opening the bowling ;) 
  • Options
    Final train is absolutely rammed btw. It's almost like it's a summer weekend and people want to go to the seaside or something. Very weird 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    At this stage I really fancy a bowl at the Goulds. Let's arrange a friendly.
    May be bowling at him in the league this Sat. Be careful what you wish for 
    Of all the grounds to be bowling to Gould at too - it's a chip for a maximum! He isn't the only one that can hit it in the Whitstable attack either as they have a current Kent U18 lad who gives it a right thump.

Just remember Leuth - it only takes one ball
    Gould injured himself hitting our opening bowler for six in the first over. U18 kid smashed 40 and holed out. But you didn't warn us about Joe Denly's sodding brother ffs
  • Options
    I must admit I forgot to mention him!
  • Options
    Lolwray 4-21 from 9 today..a big 0 when batting 

Willingdon 174 -7 from 40 ..we conceded 38 extras ( none down to me) ..I dt think we got more than 40 in reply 
  • Options
    We were all out for 127 (more than twice anyone else has scored against them)in 37.2 overs , the oppo bowling was sickeningly all on the money i Got a pathetic 5 throwing the bat , single,  4,  out with 5 overs left , son got 1 doing the same .

they cruised to the total in 29 overs for loss of 3
     I dropped a tough c&b off their gun batsmen when he was on about 20 odd he went on to get out on 64 to my son to give him an average of 258 for the season
    i bowled 5 overs 12 for 0

but it was a beautiful ground(Terling) and a nice crowd , will be embarrassing when they come to our public park pitch covered in fox shit 
  • Options
    See a player scored his 10,000th run for Dartford CC this weekend