Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Great to see that Charlton legend, Steve Gritt, at the age of 63, is still  opening the bowling - for Downham and Bellingham 2s.

This is a scorecard from 2009, a game in which Gritty took 9-4! The wicketless opening bowler at the other end was someone who I played football with, a couple of months short of 50 years ago, as an 11 year old at a club called Inter Fico - John Bumstead - who also ended up playing for us after a successful career at Chelsea:

https://chestfield.play-cricket.com/website/results/1023781
  • Options
    Great to see that Charlton legend, Steve Gritt, at the age of 63, is still  opening the bowling - for Downham and Bellingham 2s.

This is a scorecard from 2009, a game in which Gritty took 9-4! The wicketless opening bowler at the other end was someone who I played football with, a couple of months short of 50 years ago, as an 11 year old at a club called Inter Fico - John Bumstead - who also ended up playing for us after a successful career at Chelsea:

https://chestfield.play-cricket.com/website/results/1023781
    Blimey - four ex-Charlton players in the team. And they won!
  • Options
    I hear that a few games involving Clubs in the Canterbury area have been called off due to players testing positive for Covid. Think this is a first for the KCL but slightly worrying nevertheless.
  • Options
    I hear that a few games involving Clubs in the Canterbury area have been called off due to players testing positive for Covid. Think this is a first for the KCL but slightly worrying nevertheless.

Three games off. Not sure if they will be be termed abandoned or replayed on another date? Could have a big effect at the top of the div 1 table.
  • Options
    I play down at St Lawrence and Highland Court down in Canterbury and believe that there is a plan for them to be rescheduled at the end of the season. Shame as we had a good side to take on Minster tomorrow!
  • Options
    I play down at St Lawrence and Highland Court down in Canterbury and believe that there is a plan for them to be rescheduled at the end of the season. Shame as we had a good side to take on Minster tomorrow!
    Plus Minster would have almost certainly been missing their overseas and Sean Ervine and they might be back for the end of the season.

• Options
    Plus Minster would have almost certainly been missing their overseas and Sean Ervine and they might be back for the end of the season.

I doubt Ervine will if he has snapped his achilles tendon (as rumoured)?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I doubt Ervine will if he has snapped his achilles tendon (as rumoured)?
    That's an update on what I initially heard which is that he would be out for 4-6 weeks. Bang goes the career as a paid mercenary cricketer / pro golfer / First Class Umpire!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A little birdie tells me Hartley are folding. Anyone know anything more?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    A little birdie tells me Hartley are folding. Anyone know anything more?
    It certainly looks that way. The first XI seem to have been removed from their division and the 2nd XI have had all their games to date "cancelled".

Very sad day given their history and facilities but once the money went so did their best players swiftly followed by a lot of promising colts
  • Options
    Yes, withdrawn from the league and are apparently going to play friendlies until the end of the season.
    Next season I understand the plan is to join the Kent village league structure.
  • Options
    What a fall from grace. Not exactly surprised, but even so, a shame that a fair amount of decent people down there are no longer able to play cricket in the KCL/KRCL structure given the combination of players leaving/money drying up/the Country Club apparently charging exorbitant fees and such.
  • Options
    That's what happens when you give wides that aren't wides 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    What a fall from grace. Not exactly surprised, but even so, a shame that a fair amount of decent people down there are no longer able to play cricket in the KCL/KRCL structure given the combination of players leaving/money drying up/the Country Club apparently charging exorbitant fees and such.

Think they might just play on Sundays...only what I heard 
  • Options
    Funnily enough most of the clubs, if not all,in the KCL are pretty long established or amalgamations of long established eg OD/Cuaco and Catford and Cyphers 

Ah Roebucks are newcomers 

But be interesting to see where Minster are in 15 years 

I d like to echo @PaddyP17 ..its such a shame to see 44 less people participating (they had 4 teams at one time) in the game 

Tenterden and upchurch struggling too
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Be interesting to see where Minster are in 5 years!
  • Options
    Isn't Roebucks funded by the guy that bankrolled  Bromley when they were splashing the cash a few years ago ? 

• Options
    Isn't Roebucks funded by the guy that bankrolled  Bromley when they were splashing the cash a few years ago ? 

Yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hartley, Minster, Roebucks...

Do these clubs understand the antipathy towards them when they do what they do? It's one thing employing a good player as a coach or paying the travelling expenses of someone who comes a long way to train/play, but when basically the whole team is earning silly money (ie hundreds) it's just setting up to fail. When that money goes, as it will at all the teams that do it, then the club suffers hugely.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Hartley, Minster, Roebucks...

Do these clubs understand the antipathy towards them when they do what they do? It's one thing employing a good player as a coach or paying the travelling expenses of someone who comes a long way to train/play, but when basically the whole team is earning silly money (ie hundreds) it's just setting up to fail. When that money goes, as it will at all the teams that do it, then the club suffers hugely.
    Spot on - built on sand.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Funnily enough most of the clubs, if not all,in the KCL are pretty long established or amalgamations of long established eg OD/Cuaco and Catford and Cyphers 

I d like to echo @PaddyP17 ..its such a shame to see 44 less people participating (they had 4 teams at one time) in the game 

And Gore Court have gone from KPL to the bottom of Div 4 for both their 1st and 2nd XIs. 

Hartley actually had a good Colts set up. A couple of them are currently playing for Dartford 1s who are top of Div 3 and one scored a ton at the weekend opening. Another couple are at Tunbridge Wells and those four plus one or two others would undoubtedly have all been in the 1st Team at Hartley had their "superstars" not all elected to leave at once - Dominic Hendricks (played for South Africa A only last week), James Thompson (Minster), Richard Selvey-Clinton (Bromley), James Hockley (Eastbourne and now Mayfield), Dan Stickels ( Folkestone, Tenderden and now Rye), James Cramp (Tenterden and now Bromley Common),  Jake Hutson (Preston Nomads) plus Andy Tutt and Daniel Redwood (who both appear to have retired) played the most games the last time they were in the KPL in 2017. Less than four years later and they are finished as a Kent League Club.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

And Gore Court have gone from KPL to the bottom of Div 4 for both their 1st and 2nd XIs. 

Hartley actually had a good Colts set up. A couple of them are currently playing for Dartford 1s who are top of Div 3 and one scored a ton at the weekend opening. Another couple are at Tunbridge Wells and those four plus one or two others would undoubtedly have all been in the 1st Team at Hartley had their "superstars" not all elected to leave at once - Dominic Hendricks (played for South Africa A only last week), James Thompson (Minster), Richard Selvey-Clinton (Bromley), James Hockley (Eastbourne and now Mayfield), Dan Stickels ( Folkestone, Tenderden and now Rye), James Cramp (Tenterden and now Bromley Common),  Jake Hutson (Preston Nomads) plus Andy Tutt and Daniel Redwood (who both appear to have retired) played the most games the last time they were in the KPL in 2017. Less than four years later and they are finished as a Kent League Club.
    How many of that team came through Hartley Colts ? 
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Probably two?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    We bowled oppo out for 111 having set 165 in 40 overs having been 30 odd for 4 early on .
    im still hopping on one leg and was first to jump all over it when they got to 111- 9 , announcing it like a right bore a couple of times 
    8 pathetic runs I got 
    4 overs 1 wicket for 9 runs 
    and took a good diving forward catch 

son bowled 9 overs 15 for 2 and got a good run out, skipper being brave opening up with his slow spinning pies that for some reason they struggle to get away  .
    that’s Mid Essex 9th division cricket for you 

• Options
    Maybe some clever responsible club can propose some kind of control on excess at the next KCL AGM ..I would expect it would be welcomed by most...I really don't like to see clubs go under,facilities lost and grassroots cricket suffer..the game is much more important than misplaced egos 
  • Options
    lolwray said:

1982 I was a Hartley Country Club Colt - really good coach called Arthur Lush - lovely man - good cricket coach - big West Ham fan - would get free tickets to West Ham through a bloke he knew at West Ham - would take members of the Colts team to West Ham matches (and before anyone goes ‘Yewtree’ no he was a lovely man, none of that horribleness etc) - he asked me if I wanted to go to West Ham - I said no, I go to Charlton, he said ‘but they are rubbish’, I said ‘I don’t care, they are my team’ - when my Dad picked me up from nets, Arthur told him what I said, and Dad said ‘good, at least one you haven’t taken the wrong side of the river’ !!!

Hartley is a superb set up - lovely cricket ground and facilities

You lads who play club cricket know far more than me (I stopped playing cricket in 1989) - but personally, from from I have read about the club on here, it’s sad to see the route they went down

I remember reading when Min Patel was playing for them, and I smelt a rat - that’s not the Hartley I played for

My best game for Hartley - came in at number 8 bat - needed 3 to win - only 2 balls left - slapped first ball I faced for 4 back over the bowler’s head - one bounce, 4 runs - when I walked on to bat, bowler was mouthing off at me, after the boundary it was simply ‘fuck you twat’ !!!
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Anyway ..saw the thread on Lennie at the museum and back in the day ( late 70s ) he played cricket for catford cricket club (pennerley road) whilst playing for carshalton and teaching sports at Mallory school.
    He was amongst a clique of people, including Roy Hodgson who would go and play in SA during their football season.
    As for cricket he was a decent wicketkeeper but I found him a very reticent guy ,not a big dressing room personality ..never thought he'd end up managing us .
    He did manage to take a few catches off my bowling and helped me get 3 run outs in an innings .
    He was very good pals with Ray Buckley, wasn't he, Laurie?