Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• 2W..W  

You playing in the hundred ?
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Won by one run. They put us in, we got 181-6 which looked good. Deano our Saffa got 57 off 49, Ashish 39, Robbie 28* or so, others chipped in. Good total.

They were 33-1 off 10 and we had perhaps two front line bowlers today. They climbed into it, 33 off 6 became 9 off 2 and 4 off the last.

I bowled it, go 2W..W and that's all she wrote. Pressure for breakfast. But pints for dinner.
    Sex for batsmen beer for bowlers 
  • I see a certain David Fulton batted at 7 for Whitstable 2s and finished on 51 not out. One of his two sons, Freddie, a Kent age group keeper/bat, came in at 5 but wasn't quite so lucky - run out without scoring.
  • 5 overs 1 for 8 for me in the 2nds as we beat 3rd bottom ... we're playing/played bottom, 2nd bottom, 3rd bottom and 4th bottom in consecutive weeks .. then we play 1st, 3rd and 5th needing to win the lot and results go for us to get top 2 and promotion... 3 down and 4 to go... no chance
    oppo were 118-6 in 40 overs we got them for the loss of 2 in 25 overs

my son played for the 1sts who fell to a shock defeat to the 7th placed team ...he got 3/37 in 8 overs as they bowled oppo out for 177 and then were all out for 94 in reply 
  • bearing in mind he's 15 he said he was getting shit for giving wides against oppo when he was umpiring and then got a send off when he got out for 1 ... proper weird he's pretty quiet and not a twat like his dad 
    and this is 3rd division and not a great standard not that it matters what standard you're at but ive always found the higher up the more dicks that appear to play 
  • Sponsored links:

• What was the issue with DLS @Addick Addict? Did the umpires give you the overs lost and then not the app calculate correctly? Who was the nominated Folkestone DLS person, the skipper or the scorer?
  • Pedro45 said:
    What was the issue with DLS @Addick Addict? Did the umpires give you the overs lost and then not the app calculate correctly? Who was the nominated Folkestone DLS person, the skipper or the scorer?
    It was DLS and the Umpires gave the number of lost overs. The home scorer, who is a really good bloke and I felt had been put upon by being told to field, was the person responsible but he could not get the Play Cricket scorer to come up with a figure. There was another qualified Umpire watching who offered to help as that person had the App on their phone. It came up with an automated target of 107 but that individual imputed the info again to double check the figure at which point their captain intervened and said that the number of wickets to be inputted should be 8 and not 6 - but this returned a target of 88 so this was the figure given to the standing Umpires.

One legitimate ball into the innings and at 1-0 (a wide and a dot ball in), guess what? The Play Cricket app came up with an automated target figure of 107 - their scorer said that he hadn't realised that it will only make the calculation once you've inputted the opening batsmen. At which point I stopped the game. Now, strictly speaking and reading the regulations, once the innings had been started the figure of 88 should have been retained. But the regs also say that if neither scorer knows how to calculate DLS then the game should be abandoned. And it was only as a result of the captain's intervention that we had the wrong score in the first place.

Their captain wasn't having the correct target and I wasn't putting up with his arrogance given he was responsible for the incorrect figure in the first place. He argued that he would have had a different batting order had he known that the target was 107 instead of 88 and that one of the batsman had been promoted as a pinch hitter. Of course he would! I mean, the reason he sent in that pinch hitter had nothing to do with the fact that he knew that more rain was on its way and those extra 19 runs would have made all the difference in that decision making wouldn't it!

So I suggested that we had three alternatives - either the game should be abandoned, or we play it to a target of 88 but run the risk of the KL voiding the result or they try to chase 107. At that pointed out that the calculation had nothing to do with him and I also raised the issue that, as a result of him insisting that their scorer fielded, the home side had failed in their obligation to provide a scorer for the first two hours of the game. A discussion then ensued as to whether that player should have been allowed to play in the first place especially as the Umpire had specifically asked him to ask our captain before play whether he was OK with this - his response was "I won't ask him, I'll tell him". He actually did neither and it was only later that we found out about the fish tank! As I say, this had no bearing whatsoever regarding the result and nothing should change in that respect but it summed up his arrogant attitude throughout. We aren't paid as scorers and do it as volunteers so to treat us as he did with such arrogance was disgraceful.

With the intervention of an Umpire and some of their players who just wanted to finish the game they agreed to chase 107. The pinch hitter managed to score 54 off 32 balls and he shared an opening stand of, funnily enough, 87 in 9 overs. And it took them another 2 overs to achieve their target. So we are talking a difference of 6 or 7 minutes.

There is a lot more I could say about their skipper but this is a public forum. Suffice to say though, I do not believe that I am unique in not  enjoying his company or the way he goes about things. He might well say the same thing about me!

• Some people don't realise how lucky they are that a scorer or umpire turns up
    I've been scoring for our seconds most of the season when we're batting and I'm regularly missing 1-2 balls an over due to not having the concentration levels .

• Some people don't realise how lucky they are that a scorer or umpire turns up
    I've been scoring for our seconds most of the season when we're batting and I'm regularly missing 1-2 balls an over due to not having the concentration levels .

Therein lies the problem and as you said earlier - the higher you go the more they are used to having umpires and scorers so the more some (and not all) take them for granted. Some teams playing at a lower level would absolutely kill for having them and not have the players doing it. The irony is that it is the poor behaviour of those 1st teams that cause people not to do those jobs which doesn't impact them but the ones lower down the pecking order.
  • Interesting. Sounds to me like the umpires should have resolved this at a much earlier stage. DLS can be tricky as we don't get to use it very often (as you know from my experience at Hayes earlier this season!). It's best for the umpires and the nominated DLS person to resolve and then tell the captains I think.  The more people who get involved, the worse it is! Glad you got the right numbers eventually, even if not the result.

My game on Saturday we got fed up with players and captains (and the groundsman!) telling us it was too wet, or not raining hard enough to be off, or we should or shouldn't be putting the covers on or taking them off, etc etc etc so we just went and stood 50 yards away until we were happy to resume. We lost 35 minutes in total in two breaks but made a well received decision not to lose two overs and play all 50 so we didn't have to faff with the DLS app.  
  • Very sad to hear that Fred White, Bexley's 1st team scorer (as well as other teams at the Club on Sundays and Kent Over 60s when required) for a number of years until retiring at the end of last season passed away this week. Fred was a real character who also enjoyed a passion for non league football and could always be found watching a local amateur game. What he didn't know about that particular scene wasn't worth knowing about. 

RIP Fred
  • Legend Fred , used to referee my old mans football games at the old Metrogas where IKEA /B&Q is back in the day 

RIP Fred 
  • Very sad to hear that Fred White, Bexley's 1st team scorer (as well as other teams at the Club on Sundays and Kent Over 60s when required) for a number of years until retiring at the end of last season passed away this week. Fred was a real character who also enjoyed a passion for non league football and could always be found watching a local amateur game. What he didn't know about that particular scene wasn't worth knowing about. 

RIP Fred
    Minutes silence and black armbands for Saturday...RIP Fred.

RIP Fred
    Also scored at RACS in the 90s.
    RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very sorry to hear this. RIP.
  • Just found this thread, apologies for the tardiness. 
    Which teams do the regular posters on here play for/follow/help out at/attend ?

Moved to Sittingbourne acouple of years back, anyone play at the ground opposite The Long Hop ?
  • Just found this thread, apologies for the tardiness. 

Moved to Sittingbourne acouple of years back, anyone play at the ground opposite The Long Hop ?
    Is that Gore Court CC?

I umpire KCL games...and I'm affiliated with Chislehurst and West Kent CC.

RIP Fred
    RIP Fred 
  • Pedro45 said:
    Just found this thread, apologies for the tardiness. 

Is that Gore Court CC?

Yep, that's acouple of miles from here, I'm at the Great Easthall end of Sittingbourne. 
    Couple of times acouple of years back sat and watched a few overs at the ground, better standard than I ever played.

RIP Fred
    RIP Fred 
  • U-15 National finals day at Rugby school and my sons team got schooled in the semi by eventual winners Knowle & Dorridge CC (Midlands )  got 155-5 with Darren Maddys son retiring on 51 , think I heard someone say he’s already got a ton for Warwickshire seconds ! They had other kids who played for Warwickshire seconds and one bowler who bowled left arm and right arm spin of decent quality , unreal !!!!
    my son bowled 3 overs 0/18
    our big guns failed with the bat and we were all out for 85 in the 19th over , well and truly beaten by a class oppo  .
    they won the final against Exeter CC who set 125 and they got it with 4 balls to spare 2 wickets down .
    We then mucked about with our batting order and put the big guns down the order against a very young team from Yorkshire called New Rover CC who have plenty playing in the u-13 comp tomorrow .
    we scrambled to 132 with prolly 34 off last two overs after the shit batsmen had given their wickets away to get the big boys in .
    Oppo looked to be coasting before we put the breaks on and restricted them to 108 .
    All really well organised by the ECB and the 1 to 4 was correct on the teams abilities , third in an national competitions for a park team with no facilities except grass and a wicket and a real small hut for a clubhouse , no sponsorship and just the pure dedication of these kids and their parents is beyond brilliant .
    You and all the boys' parents have every right to be extremely proud of them. Hope they can stay together as a group and take the Club forward.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Just found this thread, apologies for the tardiness. 

Is that Gore Court CC?

Yep, that's acouple of miles from here, I'm at the Great Easthall end of Sittingbourne. 
    Couple of times acouple of years back sat and watched a few overs at the ground, better standard than I ever played.
    You should ask them why the landlord of the Gore Court Arms doesn't let people in with cricket bats or copies of a Sunday paper anymore