Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chicksen released

Comments

• Options

agree with the consensus .. keeping Page and releasing Chicksen ? .. wrong choice .. presumably Page is on less money

Page is under contract for another 2 years, Chicksen is out of contract
    still the wrong choice .. the only consideration can be that it would be too expensive to pay Page off .. from what I have seen of Page, he's not all that .. let's hope he develops into a decent player .. AND quickly
    Why would you pay him off? He's 20 years old and we have him under contract. If he really doesn't develop like we want then we can look to sell him on. The culture of cancelling the contracts of players who aren't in the first team is a Meire special and it's a terrible, terrible approach to business
    Agreed and a club can't cancel a contract. They have to agree a pay off.

Can't say Page has impressed but he's played a handful of games.
  • Options
    I thought him and Fox would make a partnership, but what do I know.
  • Options

Foxy and Chicky .. that's almost as good as Fish Costa Fortune
  • Options

Foxy and Chicky .. that's almost as good as Fish Costa Fortune
    That pair are on poles somewhere.
  • Options

Another one comes and goes in the ever busy revolving door installed when the incompetents came in and took over the Charlton asylum.
    No attachment to any of these players , as my love for Charlton fades during this pathetic ownership

Just sell the club

This
  • Options
    As RoJo is out of contract we don't actually need to announce we are releasing him do we? Just stop paying him.
  • Options
    bbob said:

As RoJo is out of contract we don't actually need to announce we are releasing him do we? Just stop paying him.

Clubs usually announce a list of players released and who they're offering new contracts to.
  • Options
    As others have said surprised as he was a decent player...maybe he has been offered better elsewhere.
  • Options
    Strange decision. Maybe getting players off the wage bill before selling.

If not 66% likely we won't get a player up to the same level as him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Strange decision. Maybe getting players off the wage bill before selling.

If not 66% likely we won't get a player up to the same level as him.

Not that surprising when he's rarely been first choice, and KR signed Page AND Dasilva in January who both play in his position(s)

agree with the consensus .. keeping Page and releasing Chicksen ? .. wrong choice .. presumably Page is on less money

Page is under contract for another 2 years, Chicksen is out of contract
    still the wrong choice .. the only consideration can be that it would be too expensive to pay Page off .. from what I have seen of Page, he's not all that .. let's hope he develops into a decent player .. AND quickly
    Why would you pay him off? He's 20 years old and we have him under contract. If he really doesn't develop like we want then we can look to sell him on. The culture of cancelling the contracts of players who aren't in the first team is a Meire special and it's a terrible, terrible approach to business
    Agreed and a club can't cancel a contract. They have to agree a pay off.

Can't say Page has impressed but he's played a handful of games.
    I've seen similar comments about JFC. Both him and Page only signed in January, both have had injuries so not had the chance to really settle in properly, it's far too early to write them off.

In general we seem to write players off far too quickly, both Ajose and Tucudean were loaned out after 6 months, whereas someone like Bulot only came good AFTER 6 months in the second half of the season.
  • Options
    If it was Robinsons decision then he still has much to learn about Charlton.

We all suspect/know that the squad will be lacking come the new season, he'll need players who can play in at least two positions.

I actually thought he did well when he played, far better left back than page. I wish him well.

More worrying is the final comments about those we e given contracts we have to honour. To me that means they'll be no more 'contracts paid up' so expect our expensive players out on loan to still be around/loaned back out which will effect our wage bill. Expect Watt to watch to warm the new dugouts.....

It's still very early days but the cracks are beginning to show already.....
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Richard Cawley‏ @RichCawleySLP 6m6 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @BenHayes77
    I'd genuinely forgotten about (Roger Johnson). Think it is an absolute given that he'll be off. They tried to get him out before window closed.

People think being a footballer is easy but you are just one poor performance from being thrown out of a window!
    One?!
  • Options

I believe virtually all fans thought that Chicksen had performed better than Page.

However, Chicksen never nailed a first team place and disappeared totally in the last few games.

So it's no great surprise he's leaving.

It's a sensible decision if we are replacing him with someone better to play in the first team.

It would appear to be a poor decision if Page is to play in the first team and we replace Chicksen, with a worse player.

I'll remain optimistic, whilst not overly confident.

The MO of this regime is getting rid of a decent player & replacing them with a poorer one. We will wait and see on the promise of a better player. Optimistic but not overly confident is a perfect way to put it.
  • Options
    Another poor decision from Robinson. I can't believe even Meire and the absent one are allowing him to oversee a summer transfer budget / window. Chicksen will flourish elsewhere as would any player free of Robinson. Now we've got to rely on the injury prone and still unproven Page and presumably another loanee. Madness!
  • Options
    Phil said:

Another poor decision from Robinson. I can't believe even Meire and the absent one are allowing him to oversee a summer transfer budget / window. Chicksen will flourish elsewhere as would any player free of Robinson. Now we've got to rely on the injury prone and still unproven Page and presumably another loanee. Madness!

Pure guesswork. Let's wait & see, which left back comes in as a replacement (if one does).
  • Options
    Can't say I'm too bothered is like the majority of this squad bang average, if we are looking to upgrade to a better player at lb I'm happy
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Boo. I think Chicksen is championship class in his main position and league 1 in at least one more.

Very sorry to see him go
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I yhink it's too early to judge Page, a young player who comes into a poor team, from U23 football, geysers injured and sent off in early matches failing to get a rhythm or any momentum going.

We tend to judge players too early let's see how he goes before he takes on Fox's mantle as well as his position.
  • Options
    He was ok but can't get too fussed by him leaving.
    Who is MKDons LB?
  • Options

He was ok but can't get too fussed by him leaving.
    Who is MKDons LB?

Dean Lewington.
  • Options
    Quite liked him but not too bothered about it.

One thing that does slightly grate me though is the lack of any information from the club. Stuff like this always seems to come from papers first and it's not as if there's been a leak because Karl is talking about it himself.

Maybe I'm just being impatient but I think the lack of engagement doesn't reflect well.

I've seen other clubs do an end of season round up type thing where they have comments from the CEO (lol) and manager talking about how they're going to build towards next season whereas from us we've got nothing.

Think I am being impatient but something like that would at least get fans interested and not exactly hard to sort out if Karl is already talking to journalists about his plans.
  • Options

Slightly annoyed at this. Thought he was decent.

Maybe he wants to go! Was pushed down the pecking order by Dasilva and Page!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I yhink it's too early to judge Page, a young player who comes into a poor team, from U23 football, geysers injured and sent off in early matches failing to get a rhythm or any momentum going.

We tend to judge players too early let's see how he goes before he takes on Fox's mantle as well as his position.

Agreed, I think this is an excellent and really important point. I remember people saying that in the first couple games Page looked decent, hungry in the tackle, quick, and between the slightly unlucky and slightly daft red card, then the injury against Millwall, he had an incredibly difficult start to his Charlton career. Given he needed to have surgery about a month before season's end, it's not unreasonable to think that when he came back in March(ish) time he was playing with a knock.

He's only 20. He comes from West Ham where, regardless of what else you think of them, they do produce some decent players, albeit ones who seemingly end up in the lower leagues. He was a part of an awful Coventry side for three months, then played a handful of games between injuries and suspensions for us. Give him a pre-season where he is hopefully fully recovered, and then let's see what he's capable of.
  • Options

One thing that does slightly grate me though is the lack of any information from the club. Stuff like this always seems to come from papers first and it's not as if there's been a leak because Karl is talking about it himself.

Maybe I'm just being impatient but I think the lack of engagement doesn't reflect well.

I've seen other clubs do an end of season round up type thing where they have comments from the CEO (lol) and manager talking about how they're going to build towards next season whereas from us we've got nothing.

Think I am being impatient but something like that would at least get fans interested and not exactly hard to sort out if Karl is already talking to journalists about his plans.

Pretty sure we can never criticise KR for not talking!
  • Options
    Spoke to Katrien and she said his name didn't exactly put the fear into the opponents... fair point.
  • Options
    Thought he was bang average. No loss so long as we replace him. Yes yes ok.......

Very few in this squad that I'd shed a tear for if I'm being honest.
  • Options

yeah where is the welcome back to Naby, Igor, Christain et al