Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

a little stranger than the sofa

Comments

• Options
    Camping under the stars my arse.

By the time this event takes place, Phase 1 will have already been completed by Under 7s digging pre-marked holes which will connect up to form underground tunnels.

Phase 2 involves the 7-11yr olds connecting up the undersoil heating while the parents are entertained by the DJ in Crossbars.

Phase 3 will involve an apprentice getting the boiler to work.
  • Options
    Tent up first, Bunk up later.

Oh sorry, Charlton did the Bunk up part, 2 years ago
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Tent up first, Bunk up later.

Oh sorry, Charlton did the Bunk up part, 2 years ago

This is planned for the 16-19 year old sleep over night under the stars which will be announced next week :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Supper will be a burger or chicken nuggets.
    I assume vegetarians go without.

sure they would ask the parents for any dietary requests as its for 7-11 year olds.
    And also show the parents an up to date CRB certificate for everybody involved with the children.
    Like the Charlton Knight you pissed your pants over?
    Would love to have done this as a child.
  • Options
    There would be a delicious irony if they finally managed to fire up the undersoil heating and the kids were too hot to sleep as a result.
  • Options
    I thought Lee Camp had signed for us! I wonder if they'll bring out the Pomme frit and Mayo Belgium style for the kids, only 8 chips each obviously.
  • Options
    Good idea, credit where it's due.
  • Options
    Nothing strange about as a kid.

With regards to the sofa I wasn't really bothered about it one way or another. I wasn't bothered it was there and I wasn't bothered when it went. Some people made a bit of a mountain out of a molehill about the sofa. Granted the sofa was a bit tacky but nothing that bad. I think if you are a kid it must be very exciting to sit on it. Personally I didn't fancy sitting on it myself. But each to their own. It wasn't doing anyone any harm.
  • Options
    If it were for free I'd say smashing idea.
    If you have to pay I say just another attempt to get money out of supporters & trying to paper over cracks.
    As a kid I loved camping but on my favourite football pitch? I would have just preferred to play football on it tbh.
  • Options
    Fair enough, it still feels like a rather unusual idea to me, but hey if those modern day kids can get down to this 'happening' then I think the correct contemporary expression is "groovy". :wink:
    And if all the kids have a good time, what's not to like, I guess.
    I'll get back to tutting about something else now....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Arsenal being doing it for years! Nice for the kids
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Fair enough, it still feels like a rather unusual idea to me, but hey if those modern day kids can get down to this 'happening' then I think the correct contemporary expression is "groovy". :wink:
    And if all the kids have a good time, what's not to like, I guess.
    I'll get back to tutting about something else now....

have i just woke up, rolled off the settee and it's 1969?
  • Options
    I think it's a great idea and the club should be congratulated on it.

I hope it's a success. Unfortunately, due to the staggering litany of incompetence that the last three years of mis-management has delivered, I have no faith that it will be anything other than a cataclysmic and embarrassing disaster. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options

Looking at that photo I can't see the event making any money, especially after purchase of tents, floodlights, food, staff, etc, etc

Still, at least KM can add it to her CV along with cheap season tickets, target 20k and the family fun day.....
  • Options
    Nice picture. I'd like to be able to congratulate them for successfully launching a novel (well, almost novel) initiative that will help get young kids excited about Charlton Athletic and bond with the club. Sadly though in the current circumstances it's little more than a side show. They aren't even close to getting the basics right but are fannying around with little vanity projects like this. Phrases like wallpapering over the cracks and shifting deck chairs on The Titanic come to mind. Oh, how I long for a time when we have some decent stewardship and a club heading in the right direction so that I can applaud initiatives like this.
  • Options

It peed down, everyone got soaked & they were moved to the West Stand concourse at 3am.

Unfortunately it was left to Tommy Driesen to check the weather forecast.
  • Options
    I'm glad all the kids had a great time. Hopefully it will help cement their places as lifelong Charlton fans. I don't think it's so much a case of the club can't get anything right, as much as the few things that they do get right are so insignificant compared to their monumental cock ups that are wrecking the club. I'm certainly not letting one well managed sleep-over cloud my judgement of the regime's incompetence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

I'm glad all the kids had a great time. Hopefully it will help cement their places as lifelong Charlton fans. I don't think it's so much a case of the club can't get anything right, as much as the few things that they do get right are so insignificant compared to their monumental cock ups that are wrecking the club. I'm certainly not letting one well managed sleep-over cloud my judgement of the regime's incompetence.

Fair enough but every journey starts with a small step. This was decent

• Options
    Swisdom said:

It peed down, everyone got soaked & they were moved to the West Stand concourse at 3am.

True. But we all had a great time.

Excellently organised by Lisa. The CACT folks on hand were excellent with all the kids and the catering staff did a great job

Can't help the weather sadly and the bloody enormous storm that was overhead! By then though the fun had been had

Hate to piss on the cornflakes of those who believe the club can do nothing right - this was bloody brilliant

My sources tell me that you wimped off home at 2am while proper Charlton (ie. mums) stuck it out till the bitter end this morning :-)

• Options
    No idea why you find this strange. I would have loved this back in my Junior Red days.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Excellently organised by Lisa. The CACT folks on hand were excellent with all the kids and the catering staff did a great job

Can't help the weather sadly and the bloody enormous storm that was overhead! By then though the fun had been had

Hate to piss on the cornflakes of those who believe the club can do nothing right - this was bloody brilliant

My sources tell me that you wimped off home at 2am while proper Charlton (ie. mums) stuck it out till the bitter end this morning :-)

By that point I was wetter than an otter's pocket! Given the option of sleeping in a wet tent in a wet sleeping bag OR a 40 minute drive home to a warm bed I reckon I did the right thing

• Options
    Would have been a good idea a few years ago.

Can't imagine there being many charlton mad 7-11 year olds these days. Probably kids of protesting parents who share the parents views.

The idea of camping is to be at one with nature. I guess Irrelevant though.

If the weathers good and the family's have fun then nothing wrong at all.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. What was the fun that you had ? Genuine question.
  • Options
    Table football, PS4 and hide and seek in the millennium lounge. Followed by food, then playing football on the pitch for around an hour with small sided matches (Jordan Cousins 7 yr old nephew in attendance. Very good player and already signed to us). Also had a target thingy for penalties. Then inside for more PS4, table football and a movie on big screens with beanbags. Then at 10:30 onto the hallowed turf, into our tents for 11pm lights out.

All well organised and marshalled

Until British summertime intervened
  • Options
    Interestingly I discovered the seats in the home dugout are padded and really rather comfy whereas the away ones are standard plastic.

Was also told by someone who has seen the new kit it is really smart. A lot of thought has gone into it and it's got lots of nice touches to it. Looking forward to getting my hands on it for my son!

Was also told Roger Johnson said he wanted to sign for Millwall just so he could come back to the valley and score against us. Nice chap
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Interestingly I discovered the seats in the home dugout are padded and really rather comfy whereas the away ones are standard plastic.

Was also told by someone who has seen the new kit it is really smart. A lot of thought has gone into it and it's got lots of nice touches to it. Looking forward to getting my hands on it for my son!

Was also told Roger Johnson said he wanted to sign for Millwall just so he could come back to the valley and score against us. Nice chap

Hope he signs a 2-yr contract then....
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Swisdom said:

Hope he signs a 2-yr contract then....
    And works on his skills...