Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Bowyer

Comments

• Options
    Bowyer was right to leave under this owner when he did. It did not work out at Birmingham but he has to be happier the last two years there, than here. He certainly made a lot more money.

His Birmingham side.... based on points, technically did worse this season then when we got relegated.

I doubt he's that much happier. It's probably just the same old shit for him.

There's a reason why Birmingham were happy to have a league one manager. They were desperate
  • Options
    Bowyer was right to leave under this owner when he did. It did not work out at Birmingham but he has to be happier the last two years there, than here. He certainly made a lot more money.
    You're really no good with numbers 😉, he's been there *just* over a year. Not two years. 
  • Options
    Think Lee walked because he summed up TS, and didn't like what he saw.
    Steve Brown comment in SLP

“It looked as if Lee Bowyer wanted to stay at Charlton but there was a big U-turn and he left. He didn’t go to a club [Birmingham] in a fantastic position or that it was well-run – he went to a club that has two sides of the stadium shut, no-one knows who the owner is and no money is being pumped into the team. He left Charlton for that. Why has he done that?

Think you are nearer to the reality @fenlandaddick than others want to believe. 
    Why, ££££ that’s why.
    Nope 
    He had a super contract with us. 
    Maybe it wasn’t about the grass being greener, perhaps the grass at home had a bad patch and it was more convenient to move club than have dirty washing thrown on the grass. 
  • Options
    Think Lee walked because he summed up TS, and didn't like what he saw.
    Steve Brown comment in SLP

“It looked as if Lee Bowyer wanted to stay at Charlton but there was a big U-turn and he left. He didn’t go to a club [Birmingham] in a fantastic position or that it was well-run – he went to a club that has two sides of the stadium shut, no-one knows who the owner is and no money is being pumped into the team. He left Charlton for that. Why has he done that?

Think you are nearer to the reality @fenlandaddick than others want to believe. 
    Why, ££££ that’s why.
    Nope 
    He had a super contract with us. 
    Maybe it wasn’t about the grass being greener, perhaps the grass at home had a bad patch and it was more convenient to move club than have dirty washing thrown on the grass. 
    Great analogy.

left before pushed I believe
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Don't being bowyer back. 

Start fresh - move on.

I hope Charlton get a credible decent foreign manager who has a positive track record.

I obviously don't mean a Belgian ex Sunday league player from the waffle years.

Someone who will be new and fresh to the league. An Italian or German etc who loves a bit of English football and they want a piece of premier League potential.

They won't be relying on a crowd cheering them on. They will just get on with the job.
    I think we will have more chance of getting Santa Claus.
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't be spending my money to watch another run of Bowyer's tosh. Not only was his brand of football painful to watch, but I think he's a horrible little man with a shit attitude.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Dave2l said:
    Don't being bowyer back. 

Start fresh - move on.

I hope Charlton get a credible decent foreign manager who has a positive track record.

I obviously don't mean a Belgian ex Sunday league player from the waffle years.

Someone who will be new and fresh to the league. An Italian or German etc who loves a bit of English football and they want a piece of premier League potential.

They won't be relying on a crowd cheering them on. They will just get on with the job.
    I think we will have more chance of getting Santa Claus.

I don't mean attempt to bring in the likes of Carlo Ancelotti.

I believe a young foreign manager who can bring in fresh ideas might probably be the answer.

Russel Slade, Nigel Adkins, Karl Robinson...have all been shit. 

Them lot have English lower league wear and tear.

It is something Charlton don't welcome much. Whether we like it or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    TS wants attacking football and I'm sure he remembers LB's Pratley & Watson partnership as well as I do. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    JohnnyH2 said:
    I personally wouldn't be spending my money to watch another run of Bowyer's tosh. Not only was his brand of football painful to watch, but I think he's a horrible little man with a shit attitude.
    The season 2018/19 was painful to watch?
    By & large, yes. Despite scraping into the play-offs, we played a lot of awful football. As much as football is a results business, for me it also has to have a element of entertainment, something that Bowyer tried his best to eradicate from us. 
    🤔🤔
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    NabySarr said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    By & large, yes. Despite scraping into the play-offs, we played a lot of awful football. As much as football is a results business, for me it also has to have a element of entertainment, something that Bowyer tried his best to eradicate from us. 
    Short memories. That Bowyer team played brilliant football that season. You could easily argue that it wasn't entirely due to Bowyer and it was more the quality of players we had but the football was certainly not awful. We pressed well, played out from the back, had plenty of possession and even though we were pretty much reliant solely on Taylor once Grant left, we scored a good amount of goals. We didn't scrape into the play offs (16pts clear of 7th), we only didn't win the league because of our slow start due to not having any players and a mid-season wobble with Taylor suspended and Grant sold, outside of that we were the best team in the league. 

I don't think getting Bowyer back would be a good idea, under this current set up I don't think it would work. But he's definitely a good league 1/lower championship manager as he has proved. 
    Two seasons in the Championship - one relegation and another where Birmingham would have survived on goal difference only but for the point deductions to Derby and Reading. In fact, in his last 80 games in charge in the Championship his sides have won only 17 matches, scored 82 goals in total and taken just 74 points - barely a goal and less than a point a game. Safe to say, that isn't the equivalent of "lower" but just about the "lowest" of any Manager for consecutive matches at that level. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    It’s a results game and Bowyer was successful. Sandgaard wont be giving a bonus to the new incumbent cause we played tippy tappy football out from the back and finished 10th. 

If people want to be entertained, then catch a film 
  • Options
    Bowyer was a good manager for us for all bar his last few months.  Even in 2020-21, he was fairly competitive when he had a full quota of defenders.  Sure, he'd lost interest by the end- working with Sandgaard and Roddy may have had something to do with that, as Steve Brown intimated.  Nonetheless, I look back on his tenure with fondness- he had horrendous injury lists, no cash whatsoever and a series of poor owners, not least the East Street crooks. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    I don’t want Bowyer back at all but his 18/19 promotion side played the best football we had in years. Could you imagine any of our teams since scoring a goal like our first in the playoff final? We scored a lot of tap ins that season from well worked moves, something we’ve not dons since.

We passed out from the back but could go more direct if the space opened up. It was far better football than Robinson’s slow tippy tappy style with a lone Magennis up front. Powell’s title winning side were excellent but I expect more entertaining sides have been promoted from League 1, we regularly hit the ball long up to Yann and could grind out narrow wins.

After the good start the following season it got worse. One of the weaknesses of his teams were how tight he kept games. It meant we rarely got thrashed but when we won it was usually only by one goal. It’s also one reason why we didn’t often win after conceding first.

We never got back to that level under Bowyer, but that’s hardly a surprise when we couldn’t replace the likes of Bielik, Cullen, Aribo, Grant and Taylor.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    I don’t want Bowyer back at all but his 18/19 promotion side played the best football we had in years. Could you imagine any of our teams since scoring a goal like our first in the playoff final? We scored a lot of tap ins that season from well worked moves, something we’ve not dons since.

We passed out from the back but could go more direct if the space opened up. It was far better football than Robinson’s slow tippy tappy style with a lone Magennis up front. Powell’s title winning side were excellent but I expect more entertaining sides have been promoted from League 1, we regularly hit the ball long up to Yann and could grind out narrow wins.

After the good start the following season it got worse. One of the weaknesses of his teams were how tight he kept games. It meant we rarely got thrashed but when we won it was usually only by one goal. It’s also one reason why we didn’t often win after conceding first.

We never got back to that level under Bowyer, but that’s hardly a surprise when we couldn’t replace the likes of Bielik, Cullen, Aribo, Grant and Taylor.
    I think that was Bowyer downfall he came back to league 1 with a team nowhere near as good as that level and the owner not willing to invest to get players of that ilk. Was probably painful knowing you had players of Aribo and Taylor ability and ending up back in league 1 with Omar Bogle running around up top. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those wanting Bowyer back have clearly forgotten how shit we had become under him. 14 wins in 35 games when he left, and we'd won once at home in 3 months. We were beaten at home by Accrington, Gillingham and Burton.

Some of our fans make me laugh, too many failed regimes, we need a clean sweep of our staff, new people, new ideas etc etc, then as soon as the managers gone they're calling for us to bring back the guy who failed just 14 months ago.
    To be fair, Bowyer had an impossible hand in that last season. Absolute chaos off the pitch and a fair few injuries etc to negotiate. And mass exodus of all our quality loanees and contracted players. 

I think it is fair to also say that Bowyer seemed tactically limited too. As did JJ. Would Bowyer have improved under an experienced DoF?  Curbs? Quite possibly. I can't imagine Bowyer would want the job now anyway. His heart has always been on the Leeds job. I can't see him getting that one either after a fairly dismal season in Brum...

As I see it, we can either bring in someone Charlton and have a Curbs character advise them. Or we just go for someone with no connection whatsoever - Smiley Nige springs to mind!  

The team needs moulding by a manager given COMPLETE CONTROL and no interference from Sandman. I can imagine quite a few candidates will be seriously put off by TS' MO. 

• Options
    7/2 fav for charlton job now
  • Options
    Let's hope the punters are being sentimental idiots 
  • Options
    If we take Bowyer back then it makes us look small, willing to let a manager walk away be unsuccessful and then come back. I can't see it happening.
  • Options
    Those wanting Bowyer back have clearly forgotten how shit we had become under him. 14 wins in 35 games when he left, and we'd won once at home in 3 months. We were beaten at home by Accrington, Gillingham and Burton.

Some of our fans make me laugh, too many failed regimes, we need a clean sweep of our staff, new people, new ideas etc etc, then as soon as the managers gone they're calling for us to bring back the guy who failed just 14 months ago.
    To be fair, Bowyer had an impossible hand in that last season. Absolute chaos off the pitch and a fair few injuries etc to negotiate. And mass exodus of all our quality loanees and contracted players. 

I think it is fair to also say that Bowyer seemed tactically limited too. As did JJ. Would Bowyer have improved under an experienced DoF?  Curbs? Quite possibly. I can't imagine Bowyer would want the job now anyway. His heart has always been on the Leeds job. I can't see him getting that one either after a fairly dismal season in Brum...

As I see it, we can either bring in someone Charlton and have a Curbs character advise them. Or we just go for someone with no connection whatsoever - Smiley Nige springs to mind!  

The team needs moulding by a manager given COMPLETE CONTROL and no interference from Sandman. I can imagine quite a few candidates will be seriously put off by TS' MO. 

When we were going well in the Championship, you could easily have imagined Leeds moving for him when Bielsa moved on, or even West Ham but that seems a long way off now. Managers can quickly lose their shine...
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    If (he won't), he came back can we ban the first person that refers to him as Bow or Bows.
  • Options
    Warburton to Brum is the rumour 
  • Options
    Can’t see it. Not sure Bowyer or TS wanted to work together and the Brum job was perfect timing.