Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Bowyer

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:

Bowyer is still the temporary replacement for a manager who left, joined another club and has left them. His temporary job bat Charlton has lasted longer than Robinson's permanent career at Oxford. Bizarre.

I don't think Robinson has left Oxford yet, give it another couple of games
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

razil said:

(From the Acrrington away post match thread)

We have Marshall playing instead of Ricky Holmes which apparently was his decision

Where's that come from? Surely Homes was sold for the same reason virtually every other talented player we've had over the last few years has been sold - to line our owner's pockets.

Every manager we've had under Roland has been hamstrung by the ineptitude of our owner and his senior management team, but none more so than Bowyer. Unable to name a full substitutes bench in the first three games, the team littered with kids, a backdrop of uncertainty and cost-cutting.

We look a far better side under Bowyer than we did under the scouse chancer, despite having a far, far weaker squad. He is virtually beyond criticism under the current circumstances, and we do ourselves no favours at all by pointing the finger at him. It's hardly surprising he can't make game changing substitutions - the most senior player on the bench is a striker that Katrien blew the budget on 2 managers ago and that neither of Bowyer's predecessors thought was worthy of a place in the squad.

Any discussion on the merits of managers, coaches or players is virtually irrelevant while we still have an owner who won't even stretch to bottled water.
    I understand he turned down a return for Holmes
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Bowyer is still the temporary replacement for a manager who left, joined another club and has left them. His temporary job bat Charlton has lasted longer than Robinson's permanent career at Oxford. Bizarre.

Robinson hasn't gone yet, has he?

• Options
    razil said:

MrLargo said:

razil said:

We have Marshall playing instead of Ricky Holmes which apparently was his decision

Where's that come from? Surely Homes was sold for the same reason virtually every other talented player we've had over the last few years has been sold - to line our owner's pockets.

Every manager we've had under Roland has been hamstrung by the ineptitude of our owner and his senior management team, but none more so than Bowyer. Unable to name a full substitutes bench in the first three games, the team littered with kids, a backdrop of uncertainty and cost-cutting.

We look a far better side under Bowyer than we did under the scouse chancer, despite having a far, far weaker squad. He is virtually beyond criticism under the current circumstances, and we do ourselves no favours at all by pointing the finger at him. It's hardly surprising he can't make game changing substitutions - the most senior player on the bench is a striker that Katrien blew the budget on 2 managers ago and that neither of Bowyer's predecessors thought was worthy of a place in the squad.

Any discussion on the merits of managers, coaches or players is virtually irrelevant while we still have an owner who won't even stretch to bottled water.
    If that’s true though, no one knows why. I liked watching Holmes play and I would have liked to see him in a Charlton shirt again.

There could be a lot of reasons why Holmes didn’t fit with the team and work ethic Bowyer is trying to create.
  • Options
    R O V saying Bowyer doesn’t have a clue.....that guy is such a f’ing know all.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Robinson hasn't gone yet, has he?

Oh! I thought he left last night! He must still be there. Poor Oxford.
  • Options

razil said:

MrLargo said:

razil said:

If that’s true though, no one knows why. I liked watching Holmes play and I would have liked to see him in a Charlton shirt again.

There could be a lot of reasons why Holmes didn’t fit with the team and work ethic Bowyer is trying to create.
    At least part of the reason is that Bowyer wouldn't be able to pay his wages.
  • Options
    From August 2

Henry Irving said:
    feedback from kit launch q & a - don't shoot the messenger

"• Bowyer commented that Ricky Holmes, who hasn’t played many first team games at Sheffield United has been in touch with the club with a view to returning. Basically, CAFC couldn’t afford his expectations of wages now he is used to that of the Championship. Interestingly, Bowyer commented that he personally doesn’t feel that we need to strengthen the attacking winger/midfield position as he has several players that can fulfil such a role"
  • Options
    I make him right, as much as I like Ricky Holmes and he is a great outlet, he is going to be expensive and I'd rather we bought in another centre half or experienced centre mid
  • Options
    And Holmes is injured
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That team yesterday was good enough to beat Stanley, comfortably. Decision making let us down. We will improve in time. Problem Bow had, was he had no one to change a game at 1-1. That isn’t his fault. He’s brought better players in, with the budget he’s been given from Roland.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I make him right, as much as I like Ricky Holmes and he is a great outlet, he is going to be expensive and I'd rather we bought in another centre half or experienced centre mid

He was great with us until his last ten games when he was really very poor. Were his last ten games as good as the rest of his games for us, then I’d re-sign him in a flash. But they weren’t, so I think you’d be gambling that he could find that sort of form again.

But sounds likes it’s irrelevant anyway.
  • Options
    I think Lees working with one hand behind his back, goodness knows how he wipes his bum.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    He is Rolands bitch until a time that either one of them fucks off.

I think we have some good players to come back (for this league) but since when have we ever had the rub of the green with injuries? The squad is too light in numbers for League 1 promotion challenge and the Belgian cunt is the only person culpable for that state of affairs.
  • Options

He is Rolands bitch until a time that either one of them fucks off.

While, Roland is still here, whoever is manager is going to be "Rolands bitch", as you put it.

A football manager is an an employee - every employee is expected to serve his company with loyalty.
    He gets fired otherwise.

Without Roland selling up, the manager's job is a poisoned chalice ..... or would people prefer to have no manager at all?
  • Options
    Talks up Marshall too.. I guess that’s just man management then? Thing is if this continues there will come a failure moment, and people will remember him saying things like that and we only need 4 players despite 15 or so leaving etc
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

I think Lees working with one hand behind his back, goodness knows how he wipes his bum.

Um, unless there’s something we don’t know about him then his bum will be at the back too?

And of course he still has the one free hand, please can you confirm that you require both hands to de-clegnut yourself??
    De-clegnut, wtf does that come from?
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

Um, unless there’s something we don’t know about him then his bum will be at the back too?

And of course he still has the one free hand, please can you confirm that you require both hands to de-clegnut yourself??
    De-clegnut, wtf does that come from?
    Poor personal hygiene I’d imagine...
  • Options
    The mind boggles
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    It's interesting to go back and read page one of this thread. Just shows how in the end, no one really knows anything. Most of this game is just guesswork and adjustment.
  • Options
    Heard there's an interview with Bowyer on Football Focus later, BBC 1 12-1pm.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Heard there's an interview with Bowyer on Football Focus later, BBC 1 12-1pm.
    They've just said at 12:45.
  • Options

First 60 league games in charge of #cafc Win Rate %

58% Bowyer 34 from 59

53% Seed

47% Nelson, Powell

43% Curbishley/Gritt

37% Trotter, Hill, Lawrence, Robinson

35% Firmani, Curbishley

33% Pardew, Parkinson

28% Rayner, Stokoe

25% MacFarlane

22% Foley

https://twitter.com/cafcfacts/status/1163017252725297152?s=21

• Options
    edited August 2019
    If only Fraeye had had 60 games...
  • Options
    The win percentage stats are impressive but not a means to compare managers. Curbs got 35% because of the length of time he managed in the Premier League which was to his credit.
  • Options
    The win percentage stats are impressive but not a means to compare managers. Curbs got 35% because of the length of time he managed in the Premier League which was to his credit.
    Agree, Muttley. Win stats might not always tell the true story of achievement.

Lennie Lawrence is another example ...... performing miracles on a shoe string in the top division in almost impossible circumstances.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    It's based on the first 60 games in charge...

Gritt left in 95 so it was another three seasons until Curbs managed a game in the Premier League. Therefore the 35% win percentage would've come from games solely in the second tier.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Still doesn't reflect his abilities though does it? Seed and Curbs were our greatest ever managers and Bowyer is doing well working towards them. We don't need numbers to work that out.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Yes that's true enough but your statement that "Curbs got 35% because of the length of time he managed in the Premier League" is false.

That doesn't take anything away from the achievements of Curbs who did manage two promotions to the Premier League and kept us there for almost a decade in total.