Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket - World Champions Trophy 2017

Comments

• Options

The weather forecast for Friday looks good, so one of NZ and Bangladesh will get the win

IF Saturday was a no result, then Australia would finish with zero net run rate presumably, so either Bangladesh or NZ would need a positive NRR to go through. NZ took a tonking yesterday so would need a really good win on Friday

did President not say the rationale was wins, then NRR? So if our game is washed out Saturday, the winner of Friday's game qualifies?
  • Options

The weather forecast for Friday looks good, so one of NZ and Bangladesh will get the win

IF Saturday was a no result, then Australia would finish with zero net run rate presumably, so either Bangladesh or NZ would need a positive NRR to go through. NZ took a tonking yesterday so would need a really good win on Friday

Don't think so,

If its tied on points then its......wins, then NRR, then head-to-head,then seeding.
    therefore either Ban or NZ will have a win, Oz wont.
  • Options

Don't think so,

If its tied on points then its......wins, then NRR, then head-to-head,then seeding.
    therefore either Ban or NZ will have a win, Oz wont.
    Thanks

I can just imagine the look on the Australian faces as the Umpires take them off on Saturday after 19.3 overs :smile:
  • Options

Roy's average in his last 10 ODIs - 12.9
    Bairstow's average in his last 10 ODIs - 44.4
    Bairstow's average in limited overs matches this season - 67.9

We shouldn't be relying on winning games in spite of the form of players but because of the form of players.

You're not a Roy fan are you AA ??!!

I agree though, there will come a time when it will come unstuck.

With regard to the semis, I believe there should be an advantage given to the team that tops the group - say, like in County Cricket they are given the Toss win automatically.
    But I'm sure you must have noticed that I proposed Bairstow and not Billings as his replacement despite my allegiance to Kent. Bairstow is better equipped at this stage in my opinion to open and has more runs in the bank so deserves his chance.

Roy always has had technical issues which is, as I keep saying, why he doesn't open for Surrey in the longer form of the game. When the ball isn't doing anything and when he can just "see ball, hit ball" he's great.

Having said all of this, I actually think that they will stick with Roy for the next game and tell him that there's no pressure because we're through. If he gets a score he will keep his place but, if not, they will then drop him.
  • Options

We shouldn't be relying on winning games in spite of the form of players but because of the form of players.

With regard to the semis, I believe there should be an advantage given to the team that tops the group - say, like in County Cricket they are given the Toss win automatically.
    But I'm sure you must have noticed that I proposed Bairstow and not Billings as his replacement despite my allegiance to Kent. Bairstow is better equipped at this stage in my opinion to open and has more runs in the bank so deserves his chance.

Roy always has had technical issues which is, as I keep saying, why he doesn't open for Surrey in the longer form of the game. When the ball isn't doing anything and when he can just "see ball, hit ball" he's great.

Having said all of this, I actually think that they will stick with Roy for the next game and tell him that there's no pressure because we're through. If he gets a score he will keep his place but, if not, they will then drop him.
    When we have someone so good as Bairstow out of the team, I don't understand this loyalty to Roy.

There was no "loyalty" shown to Rashid when they left him out against Bangladesh, or to Willey who had been a regular
  • Options

When we have someone so good as Bairstow out of the team, I don't understand this loyalty to Roy.

There was no "loyalty" shown to Rashid when they left him out against Bangladesh, or to Willey who had been a regular
    I completely agree but IMO, its purely because he is a opener. They want a settled opening partnership and have thought that would be Hales and Roy for years to come.

• Options
    SA wobbling, 61-3, AB out for a golden.
  • Options
    If Bangladesh win and we beat Australia they are through. This is possible although New Zealand will be strong favourites.
  • Options
    90-4. oops
  • Options

If Bangladesh win and we beat Australia they are through. This is possible although New Zealand will be strong favourites.

or we get washed out v Australia, the winners of Fridays game go through
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If PAK beat SA today then its possible we will play them in semis
  • Options
    118-5
  • Options
    118-6
  • Options

Knowing Pakistan they 'll beat SA then lose to Sri Lanka
  • Options

Knowing Pakistan they 'll beat SA then lose to Sri Lanka
    In which case, it'll come down to NRR, because they will have all beaten each other. However, that's in the assumption that India's 2 remaining games are not affected by rain.
  • Options
    SA 219-8 after 50 overs.
  • Options

I completely agree but IMO, its purely because he is a opener. They want a settled opening partnership and have thought that would be Hales and Roy for years to come.

I still think it will be Roy and Hales for years to come but for the now when someone is that out of form it's best to take that person out of the limelight and give them a chance to find form elsewhere. For our chances in this tournament we need to change it.
  • Options
    Can see them defending it as well. Miller got SA out of jail with the tail. Pakistan are all over the place
  • Options
    I think Roy will play Saturday, purely because there is no pressure and we will top the group regardless of results elsewhere.

Should he fail again then i feel the selectors will have no choice but to drop him.

As for the replacement, Bairstow seems like the obvious choice although I'm not sure of his stats as an opener?

The rest of the line up look's settled and are all in good form so i hope whoever gets the nod slots straight into Roy's place and they resist the urge to shuffle the pack and lose the current build up of momentum.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Can see them defending it as well. Miller got SA out of jail with the tail. Pakistan are all over the place

Brave call.
    Can't see it myself
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

McBobbin said:

Brave call.
    Can't see it myself
    Well, Pakistan off to a very decent start
  • Options

I think Roy will play Saturday, purely because there is no pressure and we will top the group regardless of results elsewhere.

Should he fail again then i feel the selectors will have no choice but to drop him.

As for the replacement, Bairstow seems like the obvious choice although I'm not sure of his stats as an opener?

The rest of the line up look's settled and are all in good form so i hope whoever gets the nod slots straight into Roy's place and they resist the urge to shuffle the pack and lose the current build up of momentum.

I'd open with Moeen. Though can see the benefit of not messing with the order though.
  • Options
    40-1 7.1
  • Options
    Moeen wouldn't be a bad shout with Bairstow coming in!
  • Options
    41-2
  • Options
    Roy will open for England in one day cricket for the next few years.
    But i have to agree with cants if he fails to impress next game take him out of the firing line and send him back to Surrey to find some form
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Brave call.
    Can't see it myself
    Never under estimate Pakistan's ability to self destruct. Probably be all out for 150.
  • Options

Roy will open for England in one day cricket for the next few years.
    But i have to agree with cants if he fails to impress next game take him out of the firing line and send him back to Surrey to find some form

I would t even give him the next game. Is he gonna find form playing in the biggest and most high pressure tournament of his life? Doubt it. Save is all the trouble and drop him.

And this is coming from Roy's biggest fan. Genuinely love the man but form this bad can't be accommodated in a major tournament if we expect to win.

Besides their is a Roy shaped hole at number 5 in Surrey's championship side.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Brave call.
    Can't see it myself
    Never under estimate Pakistan's ability to self destruct. Probably be all out for 150.
    That's what I initially expected
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    If I didn't know Pakistan better, I would have said that those two wickets were very similar to batsmen deliberately trying to give catching practice to, first the only slip and secondly to the third man.