Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trump Quits Paris Accord

Comments

• Options
    Brexit was a year ago yet every thread someone has to mention it
  • Options
    I see May has now condemned - about time but welcome.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40128356

So now we are clearly not 'sucking US cock' we can concentrate on Trump being a bell end which is the focus of yesterday's developments.
  • Options
    Well we haven't condemned but said we are disapointed. Condemnation from your closest allies is powerful. But we need to focus on Trump - he can't continue like this. He is a danger to our planet every day he is in power.
  • Options
    @SDAddick

"6) Man made global warming does not give a fuck what you, I, Leonardo DiCaprio, or anyone thinks. It is happening."

Possibly one of the best sentences ever written on CL in a non football thread.

I really hope @NapaAddick , having lit the blue touch paper, is going to come back and reply to some of the points. I didn't get the impression, from his post that he is a climate change denier. Although after reading your comprehensive demolition I reckon he's going to stay logged off, check the weather forecast, and fret about his vines.

Meanwhile a Trump spokesman when asked about his decision increasing tensions with European allies, said that is "a secondary benefit"
  • Options
    Trump is the little boy and the emperor's new clothes. Until everybody starts taking fixing the problem seriously instead of just playing lip service to it then global warming isn't going to go away. The dash for growth in China, India and other parts of Asia is the biggest problem but those countries won't slow down any time soon. Ironically, I think it's a major opportunity for Britain if we step our efforts up even more and go as 'green' as we can before everybody does wake up and it gets far too expensive to change.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Is there some way that the US can keep their own emissions and choke on their own problems that arise from it?

Oh no .... wait .......

Yep - probably deserved a flag @Br7_addick but was feeling particularly angry.

I wouldn't wish harm on anyone (with perhaps the notable exception of nutjob Trump).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Spiv will be out of office in a few years (perhaps sooner). The numerous countries that signed up to the Paris Accord will do their thing regardless of isolationist Trump. Red-necks and coal-mine owners will raise a glass and 'decent America' and the rest of the world will look forward to the Spiv's demise.

Bang on Anna. I'm utterly convinced that when he embarked upon this 'journey' he didn't really believe he'd get anywhere and he didn't even want it. It was just a macho, 'look at me' exercise; a grander version of his Apprentice show.

But then, as it progressed and he rather bizarrely found that he did indeed have support out there (still totally baffling!), he simply had to continue on his unlikely road to power. For him, pulling out would not have been an option due to his machismo. Am positive that he will not see a full term out.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    cabbles said:

The 3 countries NOT in the Paris accord are

USA
    Syria
    Nicaragua

Make of that what you will

I just heard Nicaragua refused to sign up because they didn't feel the agreement went far enough.
  • Options
    It is disappointing decision by Trump. Having said that the Paris Accord is a bit of a political sideshow. There are two big issues that equally need addressing.
    The first is a need to find new way of capturing solar energy. Renewable energy is currently very expensive. Wind energy is expensive and damaging to the environment in other ways. The current ways of capturing solar are expensive and we need a more efficient way of capturing it.
    The second issue that needs addressing is something that is not politically correct to talk about. However it is many ways the most important. The population explosion over the last 100 years and projections over the medium term put enormous pressures on all natural resources let alone the animal and plant life being destroyed.
  • Options
    Trump could have and should of had the balls to do this last week, if that's what he genuinely believes, instead of showboating in his back garden to his own audience. But last week he wouldn't of had been surrounded by sycophants.

This idiot is in his seventies and clearly doesn't give a toss what happens to America let alone the world even in his short remaining years.
  • Options

Brexit was a year ago yet every thread someone has to mention it

I wonder why. "FFS we all know we are driving towards a cliff. We have been ever since we decided to go down this road. Just stop going on about it will you?"
  • Options

Trump could have and should of had the balls to do this last week, if that's what he genuinely believes, instead of showboating in his back garden to his own audience. But last week he wouldn't of had been surrounded by sycophants.

This idiot is in his seventies and clearly doesn't give a toss what happens to America let alone the world even in his short remaining years.

And - we are in a much worse place than the US. Whatever their other (many - in my view) failings they have a written constitution, full blown regional government and no President can serve longer than 8 years. We have none of this. Trump is an attention seeking baby who will be gone by either 2020 or 2024. Brexit is permanent.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    So true simonmatthews. Trump could be gone by Christmas. Even if he isn't, it'll take several years to undo the climate agreement stuff - and whoever comes next will be shooting a fish in a barrel with their proposed policies. We are way more screwed than that.

Edit - I hasten to add, it's probably too late for mankind to fix their ways anyway. Better hope we figure out how to terraform. Or more realistically, re-terraform.
  • Options

@SDAddick

"6) Man made global warming does not give a fuck what you, I, Leonardo DiCaprio, or anyone thinks. It is happening."

Possibly one of the best sentences ever written on CL in a non football thread.

I really hope @NapaAddick , having lit the blue touch paper, is going to come back and reply to some of the points. I didn't get the impression, from his post that he is a climate change denier. Although after reading your comprehensive demolition I reckon he's going to stay logged off, check the weather forecast, and fret about his vines.

Meanwhile a Trump spokesman when asked about his decision increasing tensions with European allies, said that is "a secondary benefit"

Prague, genuinely flattered.

@NapaAddick, I want to say that my post was not just directed at you. There was a lot of pent up frustration in that, plus I've been ill and I get cranky when I'm ill. The "law is not Constitutionality" stuff comes across as really condescending, and that's not ok. I'm assuming you're English, and there are a lot of Americans who don't understand the distinction. Ditto the President making treaties stuff. And there are still a lot of things within our system which I need to look up, it is not that straight forward.

I'm very much for having a reasonable discussion on this. Going on your posts about football formations and tactics you seems like a very smart, well read person (it's on my to do list to respond to both the tactics thread and your "Why England Lose" post in the Rumors thread). I hope I haven't turned you off with my comment.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Rothko said:

What a weak and pathetic country we now are, so desperate for any trade deal crumbs that we have no principles
    Yes, now we are independent we have no voice. How ironic. How predictable.
  • Options
    Although this particular ice sheet isn't at the point of collapse due to global warming, a timely article no doubt

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/02/giant-antarctic-iceberg-hanging-by-a-thread-say-scientists?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pittsburgh will not be alone.
    California, and many city mayors will continue with their existing policies.
    Plus many National policies will take years to implement.

To be reinstated as soon at Trumpnut leaves office.
    He appears to be a simpleton with declining facilities.
  • Options
    Its going to be great, really, really great....NOT.

The Man is a buffoon.
  • Options
    Relax, enjoy a drink....
  • Options
    Apparently it's all the fault of all the lefties in the US and around the world that forced to Trump to choose to leave the Paris accord according to that wise old owl Mike Pence -
    http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/336070-pence-for-some-reason-climate-change-is-a-key-issue-for-the-left
    Mad old bugger.
  • Options
    So what if they pull out?

Has no bearing on what other countries do.
    Am sure if they all adhere to whatever was agreed it will go some way towards what they are trying to achieve.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Is there some way that the US can keep their own emissions and choke on their own problems that arise from it?

Oh no .... wait .......

The US has the largest drop in emissions of any country the last 10 years. And a study shows it declining the next 10 as well. None of that happened due to the Paris Accords.

Btw... almost every country that signed it is wayyyyy behind their emission targets thus far.
  • Options

Relax, enjoy a drink....

My eyes are going. What does it say?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I was reading Cosmos by Carl Sagan not long ago. Man is my god. Anyway, climate change from global warming had been a thing since the 70s.

Actually my favorite guy as well.

Have no doubts about global warming. Just don't trust government to fix it. No chance I will ever support yet another tax on top of all the taxes I pay already, for carbon emissions. Especially if Al Gore gets his way and it would go to any form of global government.