Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Season Tickets Sold 12/06/17

1235»

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if the north lower was made standing whether that would make a difference to sales

(probably not)
  • Options

I think the idea signings (or new contracts for current players) make a significant difference at this level is often overstated. Obviously no signings might act as a drag and many signings might tip some people over the edge, but over the years there have been few if any examples of major change to the standard pattern triggered in this way. A big majority of season ticket holders buy before the first deadline - there is a small uplift from mid-July to mid-August and a potential market for a few hundred at Christmas if the team is doing well.

Only the sale of the club would be likely to provide a more substantial boost.

Leaving side the RD/KM/League one issues (which are obviously major) previously there was also
    a) a cash incentive to renew early
    b) a genuine risk of losing your seat
    Both major incentives to renew early

This summer, other than in the cheap seats, I imagine more of the remaining "regulars" are probably thinking there's no reason to renew early.
  • Options

I wonder if the north lower was made standing whether that would make a difference to sales

(probably not)

No, I think we would still sell players. :smiley:
  • Options

I doubt that signings as a stand alone factor make much difference but once it starts to look like the team will compete I suspect that more would commit.

However, as that hasn't happened more than a few times in the 36 years I've been going I doubt there is much statistical evidence to prove it either way.

How did it go last season with sales after we signed Ajose, Novak and Holmes, which at the time was thought to be very positive?
    I suspect, if from nothing more than you asking the question, not very well.

Having said that I was, in no way, impressed with those signings last season. Ajose had had one good season, Novak had been loaned out to third division fodder - and not done well and Holmes had had a decent season in the forth division and was nearly 29. I never thought those additions would make the team compete, and if I was going to be cocky about it I would suggest that I was right and Ajose and Novak were both were a massive disappointment this season.

I'm happy to be proved wrong (as I'm indifferent to it) but I would hazard a guess that the season ticket sales were better in the summer of 2011 when Chris Powell put together a squad that looked like it would compete.

I, also, suspect that season ticket sales held up well in the summer of 1999 when Curbishley was able to keep much of the squad together after relegation from the Premier League.

I may be wrong or, maybe weird, but I am always more interested in how well the team is going to play, how many times I will see them win etc. than I am in which players are playing or who owns the club.
  • Options

I renewed last week. I always will. I'm looking forward to some sort of promotion challenge this season.

You are definitely one of the good blokes in my book even though we often disagree. I am jealous of you to an extent, you have (I believe) tipped one way, and I from a similar standpoint have tipped the other for the second season now.
    I miss my season ticket, and if these lot left I would buy one like a shot, my (non) compromise is to go match by match, except the silly buggers cup.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

After 3 years of not having one, debating buying one in the North Lower at the back. Can't complain for that price - What's the view like down there though?

Had a ticket there for Wimbledon at home, surrounded by people either just chatting or sitting in silence. Felt like a friendly.

View was decent though.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I renewed last week. I always will. I'm looking forward to some sort of promotion challenge this season.

You are definitely one of the good blokes in my book even though we often disagree. I am jealous of you to an extent, you have (I believe) tipped one way, and I from a similar standpoint have tipped the other for the second season now.
    I miss my season ticket, and if these lot left I would buy one like a shot, my (non) compromise is to go match by match, except the silly buggers cup.
    That's not much of a difference really, except you have get your credit card out once every 2 weeks instead of once a year!
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I doubt that signings as a stand alone factor make much difference but once it starts to look like the team will compete I suspect that more would commit.

However, as that hasn't happened more than a few times in the 36 years I've been going I doubt there is much statistical evidence to prove it either way.

How did it go last season with sales after we signed Ajose, Novak and Holmes, which at the time was thought to be very positive?
    I suspect, if from nothing more than you asking the question, not very well.

Having said that I was, in no way, impressed with those signings last season. Ajose had had one good season, Novak had been loaned out to third division fodder - and not done well and Holmes had had a decent season in the forth division and was nearly 29. I never thought those additions would make the team compete, and if I was going to be cocky about it I would suggest that I was right and Ajose and Novak were both were a massive disappointment this season.

I'm happy to be proved wrong (as I'm indifferent to it) but I would hazard a guess that the season ticket sales were better in the summer of 2011 when Chris Powell put together a squad that looked like it would compete.

I, also, suspect that season ticket sales held up well in the summer of 1999 when Curbishley was able to keep much of the squad together after relegation from the Premier League.

I may be wrong or, maybe weird, but I am always more interested in how well the team is going to play, how many times I will see them win etc. than I am in which players are playing or who owns the club.
    I don't think 1999 is in any way relevant, given there was excess demand in the 1998/99 - i.e. people unable to buy season tickets because the capacity was sold out - and the Premier League was in play.

The problem ahead of 2011/12 was in the spring when understandably people lost confidence because of the poor run of results. We will never know what part the letter sent out in Michael Slater's name before the deadline played (we sent it out because sales looked very poor), but either way the large majority of sales came in, again, before the first deadline, and before any players had been signed. We did quite well that summer, and it may have been influenced by the signings, but the pattern was the same as it has always been. The vast majority of sales were pre-deadline.

All I'm saying is that if there are currently 4,500 STs, it is extremely unlikely there will be 7,000 at the start of the season (which would be an increase on last season) because of player signings. I don't wish to make any judgement about the players signed so far, but I would have thought they were collectively less likely to drive ticket sales than Ajose, Novak and Holmes coupled with the hindsight of what happened last season. The actual growth in sales is likely to be very predictable, because the pattern is consistent. The only thing that would be likely to change that would be the removal of the ownership, in which case I for one would buy season tickets. I will not do so at present because in common with many others I do not trust Duchatelet and Meire to run the club in a professional way, i.e. I expect them to interfere in the running of the playing side to adverse effect, as they did last season.

As for the cash incentive argument, that is always trivial and was unknown before the deadline. If the club had explicitly said in advance that tickets would not increase in price after the deadline it might have been a minor consideration, but it did not.
  • Options
    I haven't renewed my two season tickets yet.
    To be honest I was so fed up with everything at the end of last season that I honestly doubted that I would bother this season, However the business completed over the past few days does give me increased optimism.

I will hold fire and make a decision towards the middle of July. If my two seats in the East stand are still available I am probably 50/50 about renewing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I won't renew my season ticket but if the club continue to buy the right players that want to play for the shirt and keep Ricky Holmes then I will attend more home games

To be honest I'm a little bored with the negativity now, there is no way they will go until we go up so may as well get behind the team and that means going to games.

Still want us to make a big signing up front though

1st July looking like a key date for where our season might end up
  • Options
    "I'm a little bored with the negativity now, there is no way they will go until we go up so may as well get behind the team and that means going to games"
    Cheers Roland. I was wondering how to approach this one. You are truly an inspiration and our saviour.
  • Options

To be honest I was so fed up with everything at the end of last season that I honestly doubted that I would bother this season, However the business completed over the past few days does give me increased optimism.

I will hold fire and make a decision towards the middle of July. If my two seats in the East stand are still available I am probably 50/50 about renewing.

This although I'm in north lower

• Options

"I'm a little bored with the negativity now, there is no way they will go until we go up so may as well get behind the team and that means going to games"
    Cheers Roland. I was wondering how to approach this one. You are truly an inspiration and our saviour.

This is crying out for a Like and a LOL...if you could...
  • Options

(probably not)

No, I think we would still sell players. :smiley:
    Lol
  • Options

I won't renew my season ticket but if the club continue to buy the right players that want to play for the shirt and keep Ricky Holmes then I will attend more home games

To be honest I'm a little bored with the negativity now, there is no way they will go until we go up so may as well get behind the team and that means going to games.

Still want us to make a big signing up front though

1st July looking like a key date for where our season might end up

I'm very bored/upset/f***** off with the Belgians negativity.

• Options

SE7toSG3 said:

Im not a proper Charlton fan as I dont 'turn up come what may' but last year sat in the Covered End half a dozen times and it was fine, sun in your eyes occassionally but good value for the price. I will probably turn up to help man the museum on mathdays with @charltonnick and a few others but then leave the proper Charlton and head off to the pub.

Is the sun in your eyes for much of the game? I know you said occasionally, but I need you to be more specific. I'm not proper Charlton because on the few occasions I lined the pockets of our magnificent ownerWent last season, I sat in the North Upper.
    North upper ? Is that where the people go if they need somebody to bang out the timing on a drum go ? specifically explain an issue with occasional sunshine ? Have you actually ever set foot in the covered end ?
  • Options

TBH, I have a lot of admiration for those people buying ST's for next season already - they are the true baseline fanbase of this club - for them to put up with all the rubbish that has been thrown at them for the past 3 years and still dish out money to watch it in some ways is admirable. Gullible; naive; sad; infuriating; disappointing etc

• Options

I believe we had some sort of promotion challenge last season. If your looking forward to a repeat of that ! Good Luck With That

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huddersfield had to give away 6000 season tickets on the back of a free ST with promotion promise

Obviously the Prem is fantasy land for us but maybe a cheap deal on promotion might swing a few

Not sure Roland is that clever though
  • Options

I believe we had some sort of promotion challenge last season. If your looking forward to a repeat of that ! Good Luck With That

For sure, with our top six budget we were bound to improve our ranking...
  • Options

LOL! I honestly don't think there is a queue of people waiting to snap up the seats of those who don't renew their season ticket.
  • Options
    With the squad we had last season we should have mounted a promotion campaign, at least to get into the playoffs. When we won at Bolton at the end of January, we were 11th, 1 point behind Millwall (and we all know what happened to them).

The squad wasn't perfect, but Robinson didn't get the best out of it, until perhaps the end when the team seemed to understand his tactics better AND we played out best LB (DaSilva)
  • Options

I don't think so. I'm not sure we even made the top half for more than a few games & certainly never ever looked like making the play offs.
  • Options

Huddersfield had to give away 6000 season tickets on the back of a free ST with promotion promise

Obviously the Prem is fantasy land for us but maybe a cheap deal on promotion might swing a few

Not sure Roland is that clever though

I'd rather keep my £500 and give it to him next season if he manages to get us promoted.
  • Options

SE7toSG3 said:

Im not a proper Charlton fan as I dont 'turn up come what may' but last year sat in the Covered End half a dozen times and it was fine, sun in your eyes occassionally but good value for the price. I will probably turn up to help man the museum on mathdays with @charltonnick and a few others but then leave the proper Charlton and head off to the pub.

Is the sun in your eyes for much of the game? I know you said occasionally, but I need you to be more specific. I'm not proper Charlton because on the few occasions I lined the pockets of our magnificent ownerWent last season, I sat in the North Upper.
    North upper ? Is that where the people go if they need somebody to bang out the timing on a drum go ? specifically explain an issue with occasional sunshine ? Have you actually ever set foot in the covered end ?
    I can't remember now. I think so but can't be certain.
  • Options

SE7toSG3 said:

Allowing for your bad memory Dickie, I can vouch for introducing you to chief apologist EssexAl at the Shrewsbury game last season. Covered End upper it was.

You should remember as you said you wanted to throw him over the top.
  • Options

SE7toSG3 said:

Allowing for your bad memory Dickie, I can vouch for introducing you to chief apologist EssexAl at the Shrewsbury game last season. Covered End upper it was.

'Covered End Upper' ??? Shame on you. It's the North Upper, not the Covered End. They might sing about the Covered End Choir but it doesn't mean they are still in it. They're backing singers to the main act in front of them.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

SE7toSG3 said:

Thanks, remember now. It's all come flooding back, I used to have a season ticket up there as well I think, and before that in the little section behind the goal. Good times.