Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Open 2017

A journalist I like and trust played Birkdale earlier this year and said it is very, very "Spiethy". This was before he won a couple of weeks ago, too.

So I bet on him last week before his odds came out (because Fowler played well in Scotland), and I've also gone for Brandt Snedeker. It'll be quite the opposite of Erin Hills, Rory's said he won't touch his driver 'til the 13th. It'll apparently be about the best iron player rather than driver...

Anyone heading up there? I went in 2008, it's a top class course for viewing. It usually provides a top drawer winner as well.

Comments

• snedeker
    fowler
    lowry

all ew
  • I won't wont be going but will be watching all 4 days - even booked Thurs & Friday off work so I can watch it uninterrupted.

I played Birkdale about 15 years ago - it was a very windy day & I didn't do the course justice (but then as a 19 handicapper I don't do many courses justice). Can't remember much about the course apart from the last - I was up on the right very close to the OOB & in some deep rough.....

I'm never any good at predicting the winner of golf tournaments. I'd love to see either McIlroy or Rose win but Open winners are often not from the top 10 (Lawrie, Oosterhousen, Clarke) so I have no idea.
  • Anyone think Tommy Fleetwood could do it? Local lad and has been good this year so far.
  • Backed Speith at 14/1 ew 10 places with Skybet.
  • Anyone think Tommy Fleetwood could do it? Local lad and has been good this year so far.

After his last win he will be in with a shot. Kind of wished i have booked Thursday / Friday off now, not sure if i could still.

Would love Rose/ Fleetwood to win.

This could be wide open and with the weather whoever can play the weather best or get luckiest with tee times. Rickie Fowler has a game that is good in adverse weather so might be worth a fancy.

Looking forward to it, has anyone else watched the live @ open yesterday? i was watching it and John Rahm played out of a deep bunker with a 4 iron, now that guy is talented and in good form might be a decent bet. Love it when they are talking to the pros and their different views on stance and advice, recorded todays too to watch later.
  • Gone for Rose, Adam Scott and Sergiooooo
  • Am going up to watch it on Friday - generally get very few work freebies but this is a decent one.
  • My prediction is that Lee Westwood won't win it ...
  • I'm there Thursday. My tips are Garcia (best iron player in the world), Fleetwood and a sneaky little punt on Poulter and Harrington. Sky Bet e/w first 10 places!
  • Steve Stricker e/w 100/1 10 places
  • Sponsored links:

After his last win he will be in with a shot. Kind of wished i have booked Thursday / Friday off now, not sure if i could still.

Would love Rose/ Fleetwood to win.

This could be wide open and with the weather whoever can play the weather best or get luckiest with tee times. Rickie Fowler has a game that is good in adverse weather so might be worth a fancy.

Looking forward to it, has anyone else watched the live @ open yesterday? i was watching it and John Rahm played out of a deep bunker with a 4 iron, now that guy is talented and in good form might be a decent bet. Love it when they are talking to the pros and their different views on stance and advice, recorded todays too to watch later.
    Yes, I saw it too. I usually have trouble getting out of a bunker with a sand wedge so using a 4 iron ??? he was virtually on his knees playing the shot & not only did he get it out he got it within 5ft of the pin.

• edited July 2017
    Rahm impressed me in Ireland, wasn't sure he would have the temprement for links, so he will be my pick along with kuchar who I think may not win but will be a good ew.

• supaclive said:

I'm there Thursday. My tips are Garcia (best iron player in the world), Fleetwood and a sneaky little punt on Poulter and Harrington. Sky Bet e/w first 10 places!

Done the same.
    Garcia must have a great chance here
  • Think Rahm will do very well, he is a class act.
  • Not done too well on the majors so far this season so hoping for better luck this week. Backed Speith to win and Rahm, Casey & Wood ew. I backed Rahm at 28-1 before the Irish Open (although predictably not that week), hoping that might bear fruit this week.
  • edited July 2017
    I have absolutely no clue on golf but will be keeping an ear out for local Bexleyheath lad Alfie Plant. He plays out of Sundridge Park and won the European Amateur championship a few weeks back so has won a place in the Open. He's a Millwall fan but we wont hold it against him.

Good luck Alfie.

• I'm on Garcia and Lefty Phil
  • Speith
    Oosthuizen
    Chris Wood

all E/W
  • Fowler
    Johnson
    Fleetwood

All e/w
  • Might head up for last day Sunday
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017
    Curb_It said:

I have absolutely no clue on golf but will be keeping an ear out for local Bexleyheath lad Alfie Plant. He plays out of Sundridge Park and won the European Amateur championship a few weeks back so has won a place in the Open. He's a Millwall fan but we wont hold it against him.

Good luck Alfie.

I watched the highlights on Sky - they played at one of my favourite courses (Walton Heath) and won in a play-off. Shame he's Millwall.

PS - why does he play at Sundridge Pk..........Bexleyheath or Barnhurst not good enough for him ???? lol.
  • edited July 2017
    Sounds like BBC have got the PGA next month, a good deal at first glance but apparently most of it will be on the red button because of athletics. I still haven't forgiven them for Bargain Hunt v St Andrew's 2 years ago, Sky's coverage has been great so far and the tournament hasn't even started (besides some OTT attempts at humour, eg interrupting Spieth).
  • Sky's golf coverage is second to none
  • Sigh for those that are working today when we should be at home watching golf :(

Put a few quid on but not hopeful:
    £1 EW on Charles Howell III 150/1
    £2 EW on Cabrera-Bello @ 66/1
    £2 EW on Oosthuizen

Just lucky pick as it could be wide open with the weather doing everything
  • Alfie Plant just opened with a birdie on the 1st..........a hole where 6's & 7's have been shot. He is tied 2nd with only Poulter ahead of him on -2.
  • Is that good golf? Honestly im clueless?
  • Sorry jst re-read it... yes that's very good!!
  • What the f*** is Justin Thomas wearing! He's out there in a collar and tie unbuttoned at the collar. Looks like a total prune.