Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jay Dasilva rejoins on season long loan

Comments

• Options
    That suggestion has really angered me on a core level for some reason
  • Options

seth plum said:

My understanding is that Chelsea get a loan fee, plus we pay the wages, but also agree to play him in 75% of first team matches when he is available or we have to pay an extra fine/fee to Chelsea if he doesn't get that 75%.
    Chelsea have a thriving cottage industry going on by hoovering up so many players, basically trying to control the market which Abramovic learned when he controlled Sibneft.
    Robinson has signed him as a goalkeeper by the way.

You're not pleased with this signing then ?
    I am very pleased with the signing. He is a good player, as yet untested by a tough long season in men's football, but arguably along with Kashi and Konsa the best player we have.
    I simply described what I understand to be Chelsea's terms.
    (The goalkeeper bit was supposed to be a merry quip).
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Leuth said:

We're leaving you out today Jay. Yeah I know you'd run rings around them, but they've got quite a tall bloke up front and we need to play as many centre-backs as we can. See you next week son. Yeah Naby, you're centre mid

If you watched the under 19 semi final against Portugal two weeks ago, he was regularly targeted with crosses to the back post.

He looked suspect, only terrible heading from Portugal stop them from scoring. Teams like AFC Wimbledon who play a direct style will target Jay Da Silva. It's down to the centre backs to protect him in these situations.

Going forward he's arguably a premier league level full back. However, the only reason he is playing in league 1 is that there are concerns with height and his ability to defend crosses.

• Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

My understanding is that Chelsea get a loan fee, plus we pay the wages, but also agree to play him in 75% of first team matches when he is available or we have to pay an extra fine/fee to Chelsea if he doesn't get that 75%.
    Chelsea have a thriving cottage industry going on by hoovering up so many players, basically trying to control the market which Abramovic learned when he controlled Sibneft.
    Robinson has signed him as a goalkeeper by the way.

You're not pleased with this signing then ?
    I am very pleased with the signing. He is a good player, as yet untested by a tough long season in men's football, but arguably along with Kashi and Konsa the best player we have.
    I simply described what I understand to be Chelsea's terms.
    (The goalkeeper bit was supposed to be a merry quip).
    Excellent.
  • Options

Going forward he's arguably a premier league level full back. However, the only reason he is playing in league 1 is that there are concerns with height and his ability to defend crosses.

Yeah, he's got all the ability in the world but when I first saw him I thought he was one of the ballboys! He looks about 14!

• Options

Leuth said:

We're leaving you out today Jay. Yeah I know you'd run rings around them, but they've got quite a tall bloke up front and we need to play as many centre-backs as we can. See you next week son. Yeah Naby, you're centre mid

If you watched the under 19 semi final against Portugal two weeks ago, he was regularly targeted with crosses to the back post.

He looked suspect, only terrible heading from Portugal stop them from scoring. Teams like AFC Wimbledon who play a direct style will target Jay Da Silva. It's down to the centre backs to protect him in these situations.

Or he's...really young?
  • Options
    Surprised that chelsea did not want him to move up a league, but pleased as I thought he improved when he had a run in the team at the end of last season. If continues to improve will be a great asset to the team.
  • Options
    can he be recalled?
  • Options

Leuth said:

Let em score. We' ll score more ;0)

• Options

can he be recalled?

I don't know, but will try to find out when I can.
    My gut feeling is that he is here for the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Seriously though, if Robinson plays an error-prone centre-back at left-back instead of the U19WC-winning captain just because a team is a bit lumpy, I want him sacked on the spot

I am not suggesting they leave Da Silva out or put a centre half at left back. What I would think about, if I was an opposition Coach, is to play a bigger player against Da Silva and play a lot of diagonal balls to that man for him to knock on.
    I am pleased we have got Da Silva, he is a good footballer. But there is more than one way to play.

• Options

can he be recalled?

Don't think the rules have changed so if he can it'll only be possible in January (unless they change their mind before the August window closes I guess).
  • Options
    And another thing. I don't think it's a bad thing at all that a club like Charlton starts to build a good relationship with a club like Chelsea where they loan out so many good players every season. Truth is clubs outside the PL need to use the loan system and being a good place for Chelsea to send its young talent could over a period work out very well.
  • Options
    Undoubtedly a quality player but I worry that his size/upper body strength can match the hurly burly of L1, where protection from the ref can often be a let down.
    We shall see.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Good signing. Improves the squad and proved himself at this level last season. Happy with this. If Solly can recapture his form then a back 4 of Solly, Konsa, Pearce, DeSilva should be decent at this level, just not a lot of depth behind it.

The only problem I can see with that back line is height. Playing against a big direct side could be difficult.

League 1 is full of six foot plus players with the turning circle of the QE 2.

We have appeared physically inferior to other teams for most of the last decade.
  • Options

Undoubtedly a quality player but I worry that his size/upper body strength can match the hurly burly of L1, where protection from the ref can often be a let down.
    We shall see.

Seemed alright towards the end of last season.
  • Options
    I agree Len. A lot of goals conceded in the last two years are from Corners and free kicks.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Quite interesting that a lot of the issues are surrounding his height but he's only just shorter (5.7ft) than Chris Solly (5.8ft) and Chris Perry (5.9ft).

He's also the same height as Jordi Alba.
  • Options
    Relieved by this as thought deal might go tits up . Good player who obviously likes playing for Charlton . Goalkeeper and striker next please .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2017

About time!!

Now go and get a keeper and a striker!

Hello......I'm here!!
    I've still got my old 1960's Litesome Jock strap, half a bottle of white horse liniment (just a whiff of that will get me 100% up to speed), a tin of old dried up dubbin and my precious Bukta boots and string tie up's......gonna need new shin pads though.
    Come and get me Katrien.......was often a Blackheath MOTM crowd pleaser.
  • Options

Quite interesting that a lot of the issues are surrounding his height but he's only just shorter (5.7ft) than Chris Solly (5.8ft) and Chris Perry (5.9ft).

Chris Perry.....a great player for us that we prematurely and stupidly let go.
  • Options
    Good signing. After looking a bit out of his depth first couple of times (quite understandable) looked good when he got regular playing time. Expect him to really develop this season. Still makes me frustrated that we are so happy about getting a Chelsea loanee for a season. Football really is unique at the moment.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Leuth said:

Seriously though, if Robinson plays an error-prone centre-back at left-back instead of the U19WC-winning captain just because a team is a bit lumpy, I want him sacked on the spot

I am not suggesting they leave Da Silva out or put a centre half at left back. What I would think about, if I was an opposition Coach, is to play a bigger player against Da Silva and play a lot of diagonal balls to that man for him to knock on.
    I am pleased we have got Da Silva, he is a good footballer. But there is more than one way to play.

I think dickplumb hits the nail on the head here, a massive issue for us last season under KR was that we had no plan B. If the tippy-tappy 4-2-3-1 isnt working we need to be able to comfortably transition into another style mid-game.
  • Options
    Can't bear the thought of him not being tall enough and the fact that big, brutish sides are going to target him for the whole of next season.
  • Options

I had in my head he was about 5 ft 4, can't remember where I saw that. We won League 1 with Solly and Wiggins who are both 5 ft 8.

On set pieces we need enough players that are at least decent in the air elsewhere in the team and in open play if we can stop too many crosses getting over in the first place his height won't be an issue.

I'd much rather see a full back that adds a threat going forward than a slower but taller, solid player that is more like a centre back out wide.
  • Options
    Good signing, thought he had a great game against Swindon.....I think he will go onto much greater things after another season in League 1
  • Options
    Now go get Mevididi and we don't need a keeper
  • Options
    Robinson was joking last night about how the two male models were under five foot. Clarke and Marshall aren't that small but neither is tall.

With them, Holmes, Dasilva and Solly there are a few shorter players in the potential first team squad.
  • Options

Now go get Mevididi and we don't need a keeper

So Phillips who splits opinion (which suggests he's at least not consistent enough yet) gets injured and we play one of the teenagers that has no first team experience at any level? Phillips needs serious competition at the very least, whether he's first choice or not. I'd hope we can bring in someone better and more proven.