Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 25th May 1998. Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 - YOUR ACCOUNTS

Comments

• It's a shame that the only thing I remember of the day is getting a big flag outside the ground and then wanting to chase all the balloons around the seats for the entire game... I can still say I was there though.
  • Had cctv put in a couple of years ago and used a firm from up north. Got chatting to the installer and it turns out not only was he a Sunderland supporter but he also attended the game. From our conversation it was clear that despite the years that had passed he still hadn't recovered from the loss.
  • Peter Reid's got a f*****g monkies head
    a f*****g monkies head
    a f*****g monkies head
    Peter Reid's got a f*****g monkies head
  • It's a shame that the only thing I remember of the day is getting a big flag outside the ground and then wanting to chase all the balloons around the seats for the entire game... I can still say I was there though.
    at 22 you really should have taken the game more seriously.
  • My lasting memory of that day was after the match when we went to a pub that was about the size of a postage stamp
     ... It was like they had just opened someone's front room to the public ?!?!?

Think they still managed to cram about a 15 - 20 people in there !!!!

A lot of people have mentioned the Sunderland Fans but they were immense and so sporting afterwards
    ... A credit to their club
    They were, except the small number who verbally absued Superclive after the game.

• Still trying to get over it....and whenever I watch the penalty shoot out replays I cover my eyes up as I'm still convinced Newton is going to miss!!
  • Still trying to get over it....and whenever I watch the penalty shoot out replays I cover my eyes up as I'm still convinced Newton is going to miss!!
    LOL
  • My account: I was 1 and 3/4 and didn't go.
  • Still brings a tear to my eye!
  • Top 10 days of my life, this time 14 years ago I was properly dropping my arse. Remember so much about that day still it is untrue.
  • Sponsored links:

• My mate lost his front false teeth when the crowd surged for the 1st goal,ended up in some fellas pocket three rows down .
  • edited May 2012
    I had a sweat on about getting the tickets, needed 5 and just managed to get them. Went with my wife, daughter (her first game), son (his third but until that day he was a confirmed Man U fan) and my brother in law who's a season ticket holding Gooner but always had Charlton down as his second club. The brother in law was living in a flat up by Tower Bridge at the time so we drove up there in the morning and left the car in his parking space and headed off on the Tube. Worried too after reading reports of how many Sunderland fans would be there and the apparent lack of Charlton support in great numbers. Even more worried when I saw the amount of Sunderland support on the tube closer to Wembley and on first heading up Wembley Way. But as we got closer I came across a great swathe of Charlton fans. I remember seeing Glenn Tilbrook just ahead of me and then on entering the stadium I was chuffed to bits to see our numbers.

After Clives first goal I started to get one of those clammy sweats on and the rest of the game was just a tangle of emotions, remember thinking back to the Full Members Cup Final and wondering if we'd end up losing again. I really thought we were out of it before Rufus scored but after that I was fairly confident we'd win - until the penalties. I think I saw the first and after that, until Michael Grays, I just couldn't watch. For some reason I thought I start looking at that point and that was the one.

Can't really describe what I felt very well, but there was a sort of fast forward replay of all my Charlton experiences from when I first started watching them in the mid sixties up to that point and like many others I just felt I'd been through the wringer. I was really emotional but didn't or couldn't cry but remember hugging many people and simply not believing that Charlton, my Charlton would be playing the big boys of the prem at THE VALLEY!!!

When we left, again like many others, there were a fair few Sunderland fans offering congratulations whilst we offered condolences and the only time we had any sort of grief was at Baker Street when a Sunderland kid, around 14 years old, spat at us from outside when we were on the train.

Once back to the Brother in laws I just wanted to get home and go on the lash, but most of my drinking buddies were away in Holland on a kids football tournament and by the time we'd actually got home we felt so tired and it was a bit late on so we just headed off to bed.

I had to be up early next morning to go on a course for work and at the station I grabbed a few papers and just read and re-read the reports.

I bought the DVD and have watched it often, but when I do, I go through exactly the same emotions as I did at the stadium and I still watch it and wonder if we'll win!

Result was my son was converted to CAFC immediately, my daughter started supporting them and my wife was just amazed by it and whilst she'd supported us from a distance it changed her into a fully fledged Addick. To this day my sons Charlton all time hero is Clive and the play off final remains the greatest game he's seen ever. Couldn't convert the Brother in law unfortunately, but his soft spot for us got larger and in fairness he did get my son and I tickets for the Charlton games at Highbury.

Certainly the most emotional footballing experience of my life, but matched in many ways now by the final game this season against Hartlepool. To me, there's something about the way the club is set up again now and the bunch of players and our manager that reminds me of the spirit of '98.

• We played an audio montage of the game on Charlton Live during the season, its now up on our website, I had trouble keeping things together making it, made my spine tingle, its 3 minutes long and has all of the Charlton Goals, enjoy it at www.charltonlive.co.uk
  • @I_Was_Floyd

Great story, really enjoyable read
  • As I've mentioned on here and elsewhere (too) many times before, I was also at Wembley in '66. When I met Geoff Hurst at the Euros in 2000 I congratulated him on the second-best Wembley hat-trick I had ever seen - he was not impressed ....

The Day of Days - I had to work in the morning. I lived in Charlton and took a minicab at 5 a.m. to get to my office near Kingston in good time. After working like a demon I got to the local station at 1130 : on the deserted platform at this little station in the middle of nowhere there was just me - and this Mackem !! I got to the stadium at about 1.15 and met up with my sons Ben and Chris and my great friend John. The rest went as so well described above. I will say only that the various mentions of 7-6 made me smile - John turned to me and said " 7-6 - I like the sound of that" just as Michael Gray was trudging to the penalty spot like a naughty boy being summoned by the headmaster.

An extra-special day because of:
    the great sportsmanship of both sets of fans
    the dramatic nature of the game
    the high quality of the football
    the amazing standard of all eight goals
    the unsurpassable final equaliser
    the absence of controversial decisions - all settled fair and square
    the fine weather (esp for a BH)
    the great feeling that just now and again in life the nice guys do win

The Greatest Game - absolutely !!
  • I feel exactly the same: the greatest game of my life (apart from winning the world cup in '66 but not at that game though). The whole day is etched on my memory for all the reasons GHF has said. I went with our usual crowd (friends and their kids, plus their grandparents, plus other friends' kids), about 15 of us!
    A great day on the coach going to Wembley and remember the coach singing and singing all the way. Yet in many ways the day was a blur it went so fast. The elation of the crowd and the celebrations of the team at the end still makes me tingle. The Sunderland fans were terrific and must have been heartbroken.
    The coach journey home was stunned silence by all as we were all shattered! All our voices were gone. Straight to the pub to celebrate when home and the first thing some idiot in there said was 'You'll never survive'. Didn't care as I was elated.
    I have watched that game on tele over and over again. So proud to be there with all the ones I love. Really nice touch that Sunderland and Reid sent a crate of champagne to CAFC later. I don't think I fully appreciated the enormity of the win at the time - especially financially - but will always be my favourite game ever.
  • Watched it at home as I couldn't afford to go :-(

Went out afterwards and had a car crash :-(

Signed off for a week and couldn't play in the Lloyds of London Brokers Cup Final at The Valley

I've had better days and I've had worse days
  • Greatest game I have seen or ever expect to see. It was utterly exhausting. Afterwards, on the way home in the coach, Sunderland supporters were having to gesture to us -- drained and slumped in our seats -- to cheer up and enjoy it!
  • Have been reading all the stories and they have brought back loads of memories. My daughter and I went on the coach from Petts Wood, tickets brought through a friend. I used to take her to football but after that game she was hooked. I think she was 10 and now we are part of the charlton family. She is going to get a charlton tattoo soon and I think I might get one as well.
  • edited June 2012

The only other part of the journey I can remember is the tube ride, I can still picture a man in a leather jacket chatting with another Charlton fan about how Clive Mendonca was going to win us the game. As we didn't go as often then, I don't think I was sure who he was then, but his surname sounded like mine.

I'm pretty sure that "man in a leather jacket" was me but it was actually a Sunderland fan I was talking too. I was telling him how Mendonca was going to bag a hattrick against his beloved team (slightly tipsy having spent the entire morning drinking with fellow Addicks at, ironically, a pub in Swiss Cottage which turned out to be the local hangout for London based Sunderland supporters!). :-)

Great day, great memories...
  • Sponsored links:

• 15 years this Saturday.

Some fantastic accounts in this thread
  • Time flies, seems like only yesterday. Still can't believe Newts actually tucked his pen away, I was really concerned he'd miss. Also convinced that nowadays a couple of those goals would have been pulled back for earlier fouls. My parents are popping round on Saturday, may have to stick the DVD on and reminisce. Sod the CL final that was proper football.
  • Loads of things stand out for me about THAT day;

went by train and couldn't beleive the amount of fans on the train up to Charring Cross - is seemed like a football special !!

had a drink in Baker Street with a couple of mates before getting a train (maybe tube ?) to Wembley. First and only time I've had a drink before a game and got into the ground about 30 mins before kick-off with the next 30 -odd mins a little hazy.

Sat with Large and my parents and remember Large telling my mum, who is a churchgoer, that it was our day and God would see us through as we've been through the bad times

Was almost directly in-line with Rufus's header at knew it was in as soon as it left his head.

Just as Kins lifted the trophy I was expecting to hear a big roar from our end, something that I rememver hearing season in and season out as the FA Cup/League Cup etc was lifted by Souness/Dalglish/Bruce et al - only to hear a load of fireworks going off. To this day that really grates with me..............

Strange quietness on the train back to London - as someone else has remarked, everyone seemed too drained to celebrate.

Finally getting home around 10pm and having to watch the game all over again as I had got my (then) wife to tape it for me.
  • Just watched the highlights for the thousandth time. That hat trick was pure class. Sir Clive would surely have won an England cap if he'd stayed fit in the Premier League years?
    He was a better player than Grant Holt.
  • Valley11 said:

Just watched the highlights for the thousandth time. That hat trick was pure class. Sir Clive would surely have won an England cap if he'd stayed fit in the Premier League years?
    He was a better player than Grant Holt.

I'm sure i read somewhere that if he had not played against Newcastle and Southampton the next season as he had been told not to due to his hip he wouldn't of had the problem of why he had to retire.

• I was 11. I don't remember a great number of specifics, the day has more of a surreal, dream like quality to it.

I can remember being at Dartford station and reading an interview with Mendonca about playing against his boyhood club at Wembley. I remember posing for photos on Wembley Way, some game details and at the end wanting to close my eyes but daring myself to keep them open. My mum was interviewed for TV saying something like it was more agonising than childbirth and we slowly ventured back to The Royal Oak for the evening.

Outside there I just remember jubilation and singing. I wish I'd been old enough to celebrate properly but despite the memory lapses, it truly was one of the greatest days of my life. I think I may have to have a dig out an old photo album this evening.
  • I was 12. I remeber quite a bit, so sorry if this goes on and on.

Myself, my uncle and my cousin, some other cafc friends were joined by my Brother (Spurs fan) and we went off in the coach from Erith at 10-amish.

All I remember about the journey was reading an artivcle about Palaces relegation and Steve Coppell being ridiculed throughout the coach. There was also an aticle about Kinsella in the same paper.

I was eating my crisps when we turned in and caught my first ever glimpse of Wembley, I could not believe the aura and amazement i felt, I dropped my crisps!!

We were surrounded by a lot of Sunderland as we pulled in, but as we weaved though we saw so many Addicks, as we entered the stadium it hit me just how big this game as, this was a completely different experience to The Valley and Elm Park (the only away day i'd done at the time).

I don't remember too much about the game, jusrt except early in the 2nd half my brother, who was sat in front of me kept saying he felt they were gonna score, then when quinn equalised he said "toldya", never have I wanted to kick him in the back of his f****** head more than at that point.

Went through every emotion possible, the highs and lows, as we were right in the corner I had to stand on my seat to see the pens. Getting more anxious as they went on, I, like curbs, hadmy head in my hands, peaking through the gap in my fingers as newton put his away, and as gray missed, the roar was, just, wow, intense, we had done it....

I remember seeing the scoreboard saying congratulations on promotion to the premier league while singing the only way is up.

When I got home my two negbours, who "supported" Man utd and Liverpool were outside andall I aid was "I will see you next season, and you will never understand what I went through today".

That was a day I realised being a Charlton Supporter is a unique footballing experience.

• edited May 2013
    8'-)
  • edited May 2013
    Was a 10 year old face painted replica shirt wearing kid armed with a foam hand, remember being blown away by the whole experience, and even at that age extremely nervous, remember crying when we were 3-2 and 4-3 down.

Think that night my Dad went down to Charlton after to celebrate into the night, I was at home rewinding our goals hundreds of times.
  • Strangely, my outstanding memory took place on the Coach when we were leaving the Ground. There were Sunderland fans on the pavements and sitting in the kerbs, and almost without exception they applauded us as we went by. A great set of supporters, and I was delighted when they too made to to the premiership.