Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 25th May 1998. Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 - YOUR ACCOUNTS

Comments

• Options
    Strangely, my outstanding memory took place on the Coach when we were leaving the Ground. There were Sunderland fans on the pavements and sitting in the kerbs, and almost without exception they applauded us as we went by. A great set of supporters, and I was delighted when they too made to to the premiership.
  • Options
    I'd been in SA for 3 years and had been going out with my girlfriend for a year. It was a month before I got married and the first time my wife saw me cry like a little girl. She could'nt understand how a grown man could blub over a football result. 15 years of being married she seen it a few times since
  • Options
    It's so great to hear that about the Sunderland fans. They seem like a great bunch of supporters.
  • Options
    There was a lot of respect between the clubs and supporters. Everyone was so mentally drained after the game, that triumphalism went out of the window anyway!
  • Options
    yep great memories drove there in a 7 seater with my kids ,brother,nephew and father...the last game my Dad saw before he died(he picked a good one to go out on!) yes draining wasnt it ! i remember shaking hands with Sunderland fans afterwards ...even then id realised id actually been present at one of the greatest(if not the greatest) games of football that Wembley had ever seen .Such a great memory for so many reasons and a day that our club made us proud
  • Options
    Had a party that evening when i got back to Kent from Wembley, spent large parts of the evening rewinding and playing back the recording for those at the party. I think i had a few sherberts too many.....
  • Options
    The journey home on the tube with Charlton and Sunderland fans together was surreal. There were no big celebrations, everyone was just sat/standing pretty much in complete silence. Completely and utterly done after a game like that.

Three of us got back to the Prince Frederick in Bromley and were treated like heroes by the rest of our non-Charlton mates who had been watching the game on the screen and couldn't believe it.

A day I'll never ever forget.
  • Options
    If I remember rightly when Sunderland went up the next year we sent them some champagne and they returned the favour the year after when we went back up.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

If I remember rightly when Sunderland went up the next year we sent them some champagne and they returned the favour the year after when we went back up.

I love stories about us like that. Class.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited May 2013
    Just looked back over the thread and can't believe I haven't posted before on this.

I flew over from California for this one. Only knew we were in the final a few days before so bought a last minute ticket with British Airways that cost a fortune. Arrived in London on the Saturday. Went to the game with my brother-in-law and Dad. My half brother (Siv) who also posts on here was at the game but sat on his own somewhere else.

I just remember the game being like an emotional roller coaster and at the final final final whistle being overwhelmed with the emotions and just the cacophony of noise all around as all the fireworks were released. My ears were popping.

Remember walking from the ground in a daze, not quite believing that we had actually done it and we were in the Premier League.

I flew back to California the following day so it really was a flying visit. A nice touch from British Airways - there was I at the airport with my Charlton clobber on including jester's hat. They upgraded me to First Class and gave me a bottle of champagne. Probably one of my best weekends ever. I probably could have got my experience into the Welling to Wembley book.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was 14. I remember my Dad got me to bunk off School to get a ticket with him. I can't believe we didn't get automatic that season, we had such a strong finish. Glad we didn't in the end though as we got to experience THAT game as a result.

Had never been to Wembley before. Was sat in one of the corners. Like most I was in shock for most of the game. That Rufus goal will always be my favourite of all time. So apt he popped up when he did. Never thought we would bury all of our penalties and I didn't watch much of the shoot out at all. Most of my school mates at the time were premiership fans and thought little of Charlton but even they had to accept the game was incredible. Only thing that come close was the 4-2 at Highbury. I'm hoping we can all re-live similar glories in the near future.
  • Options
    I remember seeing a workmate of mine in the Loos at Wembley at Half Time and how we were predicting that with the way our defence and Sasa was playing towards the end of the season that we would hang on for a 1-0 win. Little did we know what drama was to follow.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What a match, what a day....I could go on and on but it's all been said before....Kareoke in the Horse and Groom was a particular memory.
  • Options
    Think I've said it before on this thread somewhere but that day was the single moment of my life where I've felt closest to my mum and dad in terms of unadulterated joy and love. Feeling a bit emotional today, first year I've not been able to reminisce with mum about it.
  • Options
    A musical montage of the commentary I produced for Charlton Live, enjoy http://chirb.it/3gIyLv
  • Options
    BDL still has highlights of the commentary on his blog at http://bigdavel.wordpress.com/music/
    Bring back memories!
  • Options
    When Michael Gray stepped up to take his penalty we had scored 7 out of 7 and Sunderland had 6 out of 6. At that point my brain was all over the place and I was waiting to hear that quiet penalty shoot-out type of cheer to come from the Sunderland end. My view was quite blocked, I saw Gray run up, heard him strike the ball, then saw Sasa Ilic disappear behind all the spectators obstructing my view, diving to his left and then I heard a boomp noise without knowing exactly what it was. Still expecting to hear that light penalty shoot out type of cheer from the Sunderland end, I still heard the brief split second pause of silence and instead of that light cheer from the Sunderland end I heard a deafening roar in our end all around me and saw arms in waving in the air. I joined in with it but by then I had still slightly lost track of where we were in the game down to the pressure of the game and in the space of maybe about 2, 3, 4 seconds I looked to the sky thinking that they had finally missed a penalty, then thought “oh we've won the game”, then thought won the final and then through my drainedness the penny finally dropped that we were promoted to the Premiership. I turned and did high 5s with my brother. I then left my seat and ran down into the concourse where I really let ripped screaming YES, YES! I was back in time for the trophy presentation. Still makes me buzz thinking about it.
  • Options
    oh this day 8)
  • Options
    How can that game ever be bettered? Greatest game I've ever seen and Super Clive's goals will always live long in my memory.What a hero each and every Charlton player was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    The day was magical from beginning to end, the journey started in the morning with a hearty breakfast, we then got a train to Charing Cross which was Already full of the red and white stripes of Sunderland, but that was fine everyone was in good spirits, the only competition amongst supporters was who could sing 'red army' the loudest and super Clive versus super Kev chants (little did we really know how relevant that would really be).
    The walk up to wembley felt amazing as a Charlton supporter, sort of felt like we'd made it, even if we lost we still got to play at this landmark with the legendary twin towers, in front of 80000 people. I had never been to Wembley before and I'm glad to this day that the experience of Wembley was with Charlton and not just any old game/event on a whim.

The match was something else, the atmosphere was electric, we were sitting just across the aisle from the drum I was chuffed with that. Regardless of being so close to the premier league I never started star gazing and thinking about playing the Man Uniteds and Chelsea and Arsenal until just after 20 minutes when Mendonca scored, the elation filled the stand the drum was louder the super clive chants were deafening and the mood changed from 'wow we're at Wembley whatever happens we are here' to 'we can do this Charlton we can play premier league!' We went to half time 1-0 up this was now a realistic probabilty we were potentially just 45 mins away from playing with the big boys, all we had to do was hold on. When Niall Quinn scored you could actually hear the gulps for a split second before the quick come on Charlton attitude resumed it was like a huge reality check, we were ok until kevin phillips made it 2-1 to them, gut wrenching kick to the ego that was, hearts sunk tears in my eyes already, I knew it was too good to be true, well at least we tried, we could still do it though, the Sunderland supporters had come alive snd so had their team, the premiership so close but now is getting further away, the clock seemed to running be down so fast our boys were attacking every opportunity and working their socks off, we were cheering them with everything we had as we all wanted that equaliser, to get to extra time at least would give us a fighting chance, then goal... super Clive done it again hopes alive again we went crazy everyone was hugging strangers, screaming with elation the raw surrounded us we were jumping up and down chearing clapping "SUPER. SUPER CLIVE, SUPER SUPER CLIVE SUPER CLIVE MEN..noooooooo!" within 90 seconds of being overcome with joy Quinn kicks us in the gut again! hands on heads heads in knees hand over faces, Sunderland had erupted their cheers cut through us like a blunt blade, the drum beat the applause forced through and we once again got behind them, our boys had done us proud we still had a small chance and we owed it to them to get behind them with everything, as full time was quickly approaching i noticed a few people get up and leave, even if we were 3 down it was wembley ffs, Iwould love to know what they feel like now, 'Charlton til i die started by the guy behind us then the most amazing roar 'ruffffusssss'!!! couldnt believe it, absolutely shocking , what a game and what a time to score your first goal. The atmosphere changed again hearts racing again but now its close if we can hold on we have a real chance but if they do it to us again its finished. Boy did Sunderland throw absolutely everything but the kitchen sink at us nail biting done through to skin now heart is beating so hard I thought I was going to have a heart attack at 16! the whistle finally went and big sighs of relief echoed around us. I remember my dad looking at me and saying "I don't know if I can take another 30 minutes of that" I understood him completely!

Extra time hit everyone hard I think, the emotional roller coaster was already exhausting I remember looking at the players all 22 of them and thinking wow whatever I feel now they feel it too but they must be physically exhausted with it, that was probably the moment when I realised I will always have respect for Sunderland regardless of what happens next. Less than 10 minutes and Summerbee scores, didn't feel quite as heart wrenching as the other goals they scored we had plenty of time they are tired mistakes can be made, maybe I just had a feeling it wasn't over yet, within minutes Super Clive got his hat trick, this really was incredible 4-4 and still over half of extra time to go, heart beating so fast now. I dont think a single person in that stadium wanted it to go to penalties everyone willing that 9th goal, heart stopped everytime the ball approached either goal, Phillips wanted another goal badly he seemed relentless, my dad looked seriously drained even my brother did and he didn't even support us. Everything somehow seemed to be moving in slow motion sounds just sounded distant, even my own singing, I was just part of the crowd going with the motions it felt very strange indeed, i still say that second half of extra time was the longest 15 minutes of my life. 4-4 AET.

Penalties, I was convinced that this wouldn't go very well on either side they were all so drained, we were all drained. I remember watching each keeper take position and each player place the ball, however i don't remember watching a single penalty my hands covered my face and were only removed when us and then them each time in turn roared, i just couldnt bear it anymore. when it was 5-5 i had never seen this before I asked my dad what happens now? he said sudden death, I looked around and joked if this carries on then very likely! Each penalty was more nerve wracking than the last, I felt for everyone of them someone eventually had to miss. 7-6 My dad turned and said to me "We'll win this now, this is our number" Michael Grey approached Sasa Ilic stood tall, I covered my face yet again, until the out of turn roaring from around me. We had won, we're premier league, Sasa Ilic saved. I dont think I or anyone else could put into words the euphoria of that moment, not only was we Charlton Athletic, who I had taken abuse for supporting all my short life because I wasn't on the Liverpool/Man u/ arsenal bandwagon, now going to be playing those very teams. But the up and down emotional, heart wrenching game was over, all that was left was celebrating, and congratulating that wonderful team. I whole heartedly felt for sunderland, everything we went through they went through, everything we felt, they felt, only difference is they had a different outcome, there were some idiotic charlton fans trying to wind up sunderland at the tube station but mostly I think everyone showed compassion and respect.
    The amazing thing about the day was how many different emotions you can feel in a short period of time. There were 80000 people going through it but only half can look back and say it was 100% worth it. It was my first and last trip to wembley, it was the first time I have had admiration for an opposition
    team, the first time I ever cried tears of joy and remains in my opinion for those reasons the best game I have ever had the pleasure of attending.
  • Options
    PeteF said:

A musical montage of the commentary I produced for Charlton Live, enjoy http://chirb.it/3gIyLv

Mark Mansfield is such a good commentator. Is he still on thr radio somewhere? Is he a member on CL?
  • Options
    Reading AddickFC81 & sadiejane's memories and I have goose bumps all over !!
  • Options

Reading AddickFC81 & sadiejane's memories and I have goose bumps all over !!

Goose bumps on your lady bumps 8)
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Pete/WSS for that. Gave me goosebumps again. "Charlton, back from the dead again". Best Charlton day for me, ever. Up to now. :-)
  • Options
    Remember being up at Trafalgar Sq about 8am me giving it the big un to a square full of mackems then the hole square singing u fat bastard made me laugh and the old bill turned up jumped out the van and we thought shit but the coppers were great congratulating us on being the first charlton fans they had seen that day.

cant really remember to much of the game due to, to many liquid refreshments.

Then got back to the Railway Taven at Blackheath and Sky replayed the game which from what I can remember was better than the game its self. Then how we done it I dont know but we managed a curry after all that.

What a day then we got up to do an 11 hour drinking session for the bus parade.
  • Options
    THE most interesting, exciting, attacking game I have ever seen along with the 1966 WC final. And it was played for the most part fairly and cleanly. That season started in the north east with a narrow defeat at Middlesbrough, it ended with the defeat of a bigger NE club, quite appropriately.
  • Options
    Colin Powell: "You'll have to take over Mark"
    Mark Mansfield: "I don't think I can"

Pretty much how we all felt, i guess.
  • Options
    Walking up Wembly way and hearing the Sunderland fans singing ........5 fans , you've only got five fans
    To this day I have a 2 seconds of video lodged in my brain of Richard Rufus rising to score his header
    Feeling absolutely drained at the end of it........exhausted
  • Options

I went with my Dad and I'm glad to say he still is a season ticket holder in his 80's,we are additionally joined by my teenage son these days.We avoided Baker Street and went via Marylebone as Wembley Stadium station almost felt like a closely guarded secret in those days.I just remember the game going really quickly and the euphoria I felt afterwards.

It is an occasion that non Charlton fans I have spoken to over the years also remember vividly.A friend of mine recalls watching the game on his own in a hotel bar in Cornwall starting on his own but by the end of extra time he claims the whole pub was entranced.

Another story is from Wembley Park station itself .The local London Underground staff remember the day for the right reasons and the light hearted banter between the fans.Their only complaint was that as they heard the cheers they checked who had scored and as each goal went in they needed to keep changing their plans about exiting from the Stadium as the game went into extra time.