Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 25th May 1998. Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 - YOUR ACCOUNTS

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    easy to say now, I never had a doubt before or during the game that we would not win .. ever since the Mendonca signing, I knew that this was our season .. of course I also enjoyed a top quality, exciting game between 2 very good sides
    The tide did swing towards Sunderland in that 2nd half thought we had had it at that point.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Wow - what a day. I was only young at this point, but nearly didn’t make the game, my younger brother the night before the game had a fit and swallowed his tongue, so spent all night in hospital, touch and go at one point. He get checked out at Canterbury hospital around 11.30 and mad dash to Wembley. Arrived just in time for kick off.. not as if we wasn’t physically and mentally drained before the game, and then having to go through the ups and down of the game, pretty emotional 24hrs!
    anyway wrote story about our trip in a competition with the local news paper, and won a kit for my football team. Which was presented at the valley on the day they was filming the MOTD start of the program. So got to meet Ilic.

To add to this anyway of getting a digital copy of Welling to Wembley??
    @DubaiCAFC think I’ve got a spare print copy if you still need it. 
  • Options
    edited May 27
    Scoham said:
    THE most exciting game I have ever seen live and a result, that as Curbs said, set the club up for the next ten years, because without that result and especially without Mendonca, we would never have reached the Premier League. The pity is of course that the momentum and the passion could not be maintained for reasons we all know so well
    What is so very true is the words spoken about the togetherness and doggedness within the team, the fighting spirit and of course the tactics and management of Lord Llewellyn and Les Reed (the coach, not the songwriter lol). Lord L was a hard task master and had the respect of his players, great managers are few and far between and no doubt Lord L was a great manager
    What else ? .. Mendonca with THE greatest ever hat trick, Richard Rufus unbelievably scoring his first ever goal for CAFC, THAT Brown tackle, the guts and coolness of the penalty takers .... and on and on and on
    Oh that Holden can come close to building a team with the guts and tenacity of the first Wembley heroes .. Amen

I typed this a year ago .. nothing has changed except insert Jones for Holden lol
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Wow - what a day. I was only young at this point, but nearly didn’t make the game, my younger brother the night before the game had a fit and swallowed his tongue, so spent all night in hospital, touch and go at one point. He get checked out at Canterbury hospital around 11.30 and mad dash to Wembley. Arrived just in time for kick off.. not as if we wasn’t physically and mentally drained before the game, and then having to go through the ups and down of the game, pretty emotional 24hrs!
    anyway wrote story about our trip in a competition with the local news paper, and won a kit for my football team. Which was presented at the valley on the day they was filming the MOTD start of the program. So got to meet Ilic.

To add to this anyway of getting a digital copy of Welling to Wembley??
    I don't know you sir, but got say no matter which thread it's on always find your posts interesting and good to read. I know you have had some jip before about transfer rumours etc, but keep it up, you seem genuine and charlton through and through. 
  • Options
    edited June 24
    I have many memories of the day…..but two that stand out are me having the certainty that Shaun Newton was going to miss his penno (in fact, if ever I see the replay I still think he’s going to miss).
    The second one was the almost universal low key exit from the ground and the journey away from Wembley ….there is a 100% certainty that we were simply emotionally and physically drained to the point of some kind of collective shut down.."
    ……it was quite simply weird.🤔
    I know not everyone I was caught up in this way but this was true of a huge number of emotionally battered and by this time weary Addicks.
  • Options
    I Went with some friends from work , got out at wembley and wondered where all the Charlton was , all we could see was Sunderland , what a day , couldnt watch the penalties .    
  • Options
    I have many memories of the day…..but two that stand out are me having the certainty that Shaun Newton was going to miss his penno (in fact, if ever I see the replay I still think he’s going to miss).
    The second one was the almost universal low key exit from the ground and the journey away from Wembley ….there is a 100% certainty that we were simply emotionally and physically drained to the point of some kind of collective shut down.."
    ……it was quite simply weird.🤔
    I know not everyone I was caught up in this way but this was true of a huge number of emotionally battered and by this time weary Addicks.
    This is exactly as I remember it. I think we were all in a state of shock. For some reason, when it came to penalties, I thought we'd given it a good go but Sunderland would win. At 7-6 I said to my son, 'It's not often you see a match with 21 goals.' I don't think anyone could quite believe it when Ilic made the save. As we left the ground in stunned silence, a passing Sunderland fan said to me, 'Cheer up, mate - you won!'