Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 25th May 1998. Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 - YOUR ACCOUNTS

Comments

• It was only just over 6 years after returning to the Valley. When Roland and Meire goes, we might get some people who know what they are doing and then who knows!

• Leaving Selhurst as tenants for the last time in May 91, in the lower half of Div 2, with an unknown future at the Boleyn and The Valley seemingly as far out of reach as ever, who could predict entry to the Prem only seven years thence ?

When the Belgians go CAFC will have the advantage of a hugely talented group of fans ready and willing to change direction and begin the task of driving our special club forward once again. A club once again united - players and coaches, fans and owners/admin - will be ready to make more history. I like my old memories (well, many of them) but I'm well up for some new ones too !! UTA !!
  • I was pretty gutted it went to penalties at the time. I thought Sunderland had a bit more quality than we did and definitely didn't feel that we would win on pens. I actually felt fine until Newton stepped up, I liked him as a player, was a good old div one winger IMO, but I didn't back him to score a penalty. Well he proved me wrong and once Ilic made the save, we went bonkers (obviously). Great day out. I thought the Sunderland fans were superb, both before during and after the game. We were drinking with a number of them before and after the game and they were a credit to the club.

I had that horrible feeling Sunderland would win on pens. But it shows a shootout is just a lottery.
  • What a great thread. Thanks for bringing it up. I've so far read only two pages and it's already become one of the best threads I've read on CL. Just feel really sad that we're now worlds apart from then....

One day something amazing is going to happen again, and all this craps will be worth it and will be better than anything any arsenal, man u, Chelsea or city fan could ever comprehend
    Err, Man U 4 Benfica 1. Even as a Charlton fan I thought it was brilliant.
  • I was living in Tenerife in 1998, although I had a Charlton season ticket, a ten year one from the VIP scheme I think.
    After we beat Ipswich in the second semi (1- 0 I think), my son phoned to see if I wanted tickets for the final. Unfortunately I was committed to preach at a church service that weekend, and that made it rather difficult.
    After my son was off the phone I remember saying to my wife, 'we must go, this could be history in the making'. I made a few phone calls, reorganised my weekend, and phoned my son to get the tickets.
    We flew home on the Friday, bought silly hats and wigs and stuff at the club shop on the Saturday, and got the coach from Well Hall on the Monday.
    The atmosphere at Wembley was incredible! we had several photos taken with Sunderland fans outside the ground, and the game was unbelievable. We were emotionally drained, and it was the most exciting game I have ever witnessed.
    When the penalty score was on the scoreboard as 7-6, I screamed to my friends '7-6, its an omen, we must do it', 7-6 being a famous scoreline to all true Charlton fans. I then remember hugging perfect strangers when Gray missed and we all went mad!
    The drive home was full of joy and happiness, and the bit through Millwall territory at New Cross with bystanders cheering and waving at the coach will never be forgotten.
    The next day we went to Woolwich, in all our Charlton gear to watch the team parade in the open top bus and get the freedom of Woolwich borough, and we flew back to Tenerife in the afternoon. You would not believe the number of people at the airport who wanted to congratulate us and say what a super game it was.
    What a fantastic weekend. We still have the Limited edition Chris Cheverst painting, 'Such a perfect day' hanging on the wall.
    One day.................................!

God or Charlton? Not much of a contest really!
  • Steve Jones & Johnny Robinson at the after match meal.

Two things jump out from this photo.

Steve Jones' retro nokia mobile phone.

And what's Robbo doing with his left hand?!
  • edited May 2017
    So many posters describing a kind of numb drained feeling after the game.....only those of us who were there know what I mean......I genuinely didn't know what to do......my mind was sort of numb.....a very very strange emotion and one that, try as I may over the ensuing years, I simply cannot explain.
    Inside the ground I went on celebrating until the last player left the pitch a good 30 + minutes after the final pen.....but the moment I got outside I was, as many others have said, completely numb with a feeling of almost spiritual serenity.......although I was with a group of other Addicks I somehow felt very much alone and in my own space.
    Why.........I have no idea.
  • What a great thread. Thanks for bringing it up. I've so far read only two pages and it's already become one of the best threads I've read on CL. Just feel really sad that we're now worlds apart from then....

One day something amazing is going to happen again, and all this craps will be worth it and will be better than anything any arsenal, man u, Chelsea or city fan could ever comprehend
    Err, Man U 4 Benfica 1. Even as a Charlton fan I thought it was brilliant.
    I didnt mean any particular match, I meant once rolands gone, and we rise back up, when we reach the top it will feel even more amazing, cos of what we have been through. We will have our day again
  • I was 12. I remeber quite a bit, so sorry if this goes on and on.

Myself, my uncle and my cousin, some other cafc friends were joined by my Brother (Spurs fan) and we went off in the coach from Erith at 10-amish.

All I remember about the journey was reading an artivcle about Palaces relegation and Steve Coppell being ridiculed throughout the coach. There was also an aticle about Kinsella in the same paper.

I was eating my crisps when we turned in and caught my first ever glimpse of Wembley, I could not believe the aura and amazement i felt, I dropped my crisps!!

We were surrounded by a lot of Sunderland as we pulled in, but as we weaved though we saw so many Addicks, as we entered the stadium it hit me just how big this game as, this was a completely different experience to The Valley and Elm Park (the only away day i'd done at the time).

I don't remember too much about the game, jusrt except early in the 2nd half my brother, who was sat in front of me kept saying he felt they were gonna score, then when quinn equalised he said "toldya", never have I wanted to kick him in the back of his f****** head more than at that point.

Went through every emotion possible, the highs and lows, as we were right in the corner I had to stand on my seat to see the pens. Getting more anxious as they went on, I, like curbs, hadmy head in my hands, peaking through the gap in my fingers as newton put his away, and as gray missed, the roar was, just, wow, intense, we had done it....

I remember seeing the scoreboard saying congratulations on promotion to the premier league while singing the only way is up.

When I got home my two negbours, who "supported" Man utd and Liverpool were outside andall I aid was "I will see you next season, and you will never understand what I went through today".

That was a day I realised being a Charlton Supporter is a unique footballing experience.

I originally posted this a year before RD took over....bit worried about my use of the word unique, it doesnt mean Weird Meire.

I just had to remind my brother that 19 years ago I wanted to kick his head in, didn't give the context but he remembered!
  • Sponsored links:

• That particular day is right up there with the birth of my 2 kids.
    Anyone who was there that day will say it was one of the best days of their lives.
    We went through just about every emotion possible and I can remember it as if it was yesterday.
    Piss of Roland and maybe we can have another day like it.
  • So many posters describing a kind of numb drained feeling after the game.....only those of us who were there know what I mean......I genuinely didn't know what to do......my mind was sort of numb.....a very very strange emotion and one that, try as I may over the ensuing years, I simply cannot explain.
    Inside the ground I went on celebrating until the last player left the pitch a good 30 + minutes after the final pen.....but the moment I got outside I was, as many others have said, completely numb with a feeling of almost spiritual serenity.......although I was with a group of other Addicks I somehow felt very much alone and in my own space.

I know exactly what you mean. I had an invite to the celebration event afterwards. It was a very subdued affair, even after the players turned up. I just remember Michael Grade saying to us, that result was worth £20 million with a big smile on his face.

Sunderland fans an absolute credit.
  • kafka said:

So many posters describing a kind of numb drained feeling after the game.....only those of us who were there know what I mean......I genuinely didn't know what to do......my mind was sort of numb.....a very very strange emotion and one that, try as I may over the ensuing years, I simply cannot explain.

I know exactly what you mean. I had an invite to the celebration event afterwards. It was a very subdued affair, even after the players turned up. I just remember Michael Grade saying to us, that result was worth £20 million with a big smile on his face.

Sunderland fans an absolute credit.
    I was at the dinner too......yes it was quite subdued but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.
  • That particular day is right up there with the birth of my 2 kids.
    Anyone who was there that day will say it was one of the best days of their lives.
    We went through just about every emotion possible and I can remember it as if it was yesterday.
    Piss of Roland and maybe we can have another day like it.

This.

I can remember every little detail of the day and night. The only other day that sticks in my mind like that is the birth of my kids. Just pure happiness and I left that ground feeling like I didn't have a worry in the world.

• First and only time I've ever been to Wembley. I made a vow - about 30-40 years ago - not to go there unless Charlton were playing in a 'proper' game (IE not that thing we were involved in, in 1987) and this remains the only occassion that has met that criteria.

Agree with all the comments about how emotionally draining it was - at one point I actually got concerned that if things got more frenetic people around me, or maybe even myself would have heart attacks. Extraordinary stuff.

Took my son along (he was 13) and afterwards found a quiet pub near where we lived (then) in east London for a celebratory pint.

A happy memory.
  • Bump. 20 years.
  • Great day. When I got home in the early hours of the next day I was primed to give Mrs Otto the seeing to of her life. Alas, only lasted the lenghth of time it took for the ball the leave Grays boot and meet illc’s hands. I’m sure she was hoping for 90 mins, extra time and pens.....take it as a compliment love.
  • First and only time I've ever been to Wembley. I made a vow - about 30-40 years ago - not to go there unless Charlton were playing in a 'proper' game (IE not that thing we were involved in, in 1987) and this remains the only occassion that has met that criteria.

Agree with all the comments about how emotionally draining it was - at one point I actually got concerned that if things got more frenetic people around me, or maybe even myself would have heart attacks. Extraordinary stuff.

Took my son along (he was 13) and afterwards found a quiet pub near where we lived (then) in east London for a celebratory pint.

A happy memory.

Bump. 20 years.

It's only been a year since that grammatical error.
  • Great day. When I got home in the early hours of the next day I was primed to give Mrs Otto the seeing to of her life. Alas, only lasted the lenghth of time it took for the ball the leave Grays boot and meet illc’s hands. I’m sure she was hoping for 90 mins, extra time and pens.....take it as a compliment love.

Don’t worry mate, I’d been round there since I got chucked out so she hadn’t missed out.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018
    A little something we knocked up for Charlton Live https://audioboom.com/posts/2502238-play-off-final-1998-mark-mansfield
  • I was 10 at the time, still remember the goals like it was yesterday. Atmosphere was electric, and when Illic saved the penalty I had to ask my dad if we were promoted as i didn’t understand what had happened!
  • edited May 2018
    “And Illic has saved it”!
    Those 5 words are imprinted on my memory now and for ever!
  • 20 years eh, wow. Still seems like only yesterday. A fantastic day, never to be bettered I feel. An all round memorable experience.

Don’t worry mate, I’d been round there since I got chucked out so she hadn’t missed out.
    I was round there too Dave, was that you I passed on his drive?
  • edited May 2018
    iamdan said:

I was 10 at the time, still remember the goals like it was yesterday. Atmosphere was electric, and when Illic saved the penalty I had to ask my dad if we were promoted as i didn’t understand what had happened!

I was 7, and after the semi-final win against Ipswich asked my dad if we had to go through Divisions 2 & 3 before getting to the Premiership. Luckily that had all been cleared up by the time we went to Wembley.

Part of me wishes I had been a bit older so that I could have appreciated it more, but the other part of me is grateful that at that age I didn't have enough understanding to be as nervous as I should've been. Not sure I could take it now!
  • Such a roller coaster of emotions at the game, not ashamed to say I cried when I thought we would lose before Rufus popped up to score. And then I cried again when Sasa saved the Gray pen, I then gave the biggest tearful hug to Bob Bolder who was watching it with the fans, what a day that was!!!
  • Cheer up Peter Reid, oh what can it mean to be a........
  • I was still at work.