Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 25th May 1998. Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 - YOUR ACCOUNTS

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    Didn't go in 1998 because I was only 5 years old but my dad went and I found the programme in the loft a few weeks ago. Didn't go in 2019 either because I was on holiday , watched it in a bar with some very excited Newcastle fans 

Never got to go to Wembley with my dad as he passed away suddenly in 2021.... 
  • Options
    8 years old at the time and I remember it very clearly now at 33! 

One thing that sticks out for me is that after we won and we were travelling home, I was out the sun roof waving my Charlton flag whilst being surrounded by Sunderland fan coaches and we were also blasting out Squeeze down in the valley!

What a day!
  • Options
    8 years old at the time and I remember it very clearly now at 33! 

One thing that sticks out for me is that after we won and we were travelling home, I was out the sun roof waving my Charlton flag whilst being surrounded by Sunderland fan coaches and we were also blasting out Squeeze down in the valley!

What a day!
    An every day thing from back in the day that now sounds really weird - kids standing up in cars with their heads out of sunroofs!
  • Options
    Wow what a feeling when Rufus scored to take it to penalties unbelievable day
    got to be one of the best days of following Charlton ever  :   B)
  • Options
    4 years since the second Wembley classic
    This Sunderland fan video is still one of the best. The noise from us for both goals. Takes me back every time.
    https://youtu.be/F8iJH1ApURA
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    This Sunderland fan video is still one of the best. The noise from us for both goals. Takes me back every time.
    Love the roar from us you hear in the background @ 22:23
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Love the roar from us you hear in the background @ 22:23
    Pure joy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    THE most exciting game I have ever seen live and a result, that as Curbs said, set the club up for the next ten years, because without that result and especially without Mendonca, we would never have reached the Premier League. The pity is of course that the momentum and the passion could not be maintained for reasons we all know so well
    What is so very true is the words spoken about the togetherness and doggedness within the team, the fighting spirit and of course the tactics and management of Lord Llewellyn and Les Reed (the coach, not the songwriter lol). Lord L was a hard task master and had the respect of his players, great managers are few and far between and no doubt Lord L was a great manager
    What else ? .. Mendonca with THE greatest ever hat trick, Richard Rufus unbelievably scoring his first ever goal for CAFC, THAT Brown tackle, the guts and coolness of the penalty takers .... and on and on and on
    Oh that Holden can come close to building a team with the guts and tenacity of the first Wembley heroes .. Amen

• Options
    Was 10 years old. Face painted before the game, waving cheap flags that after a week the wording on started to peel. Still have the flag mind. 
    Went there with a few of the family. My older brother and sister, they're partners and my cousin went behind the goal. I sat just next to the VIP/directors box. Great view of the goals and the overall atmosphere created by both sets of fans. Remember standing on my seat for the pens though and noticing majority of people barely able to watch them. I might be mistaken but in my memory I swear I was in my area of the ground the first to erupt in celebration when Sasha saved. My dad just went berserk picking me up as if I was the trophy. 
    After the game we all met up in a pub nearby. Some Sunderland fans were there and they said to us "why are you not going crazy and celebrating." We were just all so exhausted from it all. We just sat there in the sun with smiles on our faces. What a day. 
  • Options
    Just watched the game again. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I felt nervous watching it. Funny that!
  • Options
    Moved away from London in 1997 so wasn’t at the 1998 game. In those pre internet days, I listened to the live commentary on the radio. Unbelievable scenes in the house when Ilic saved the pen and my then 1 year old daughter didn’t know what the hell was going on! My dad, mum and brother were all at Wembley. My dad died prematurely in 2003. I’m glad to say I made it to the 2019 rendition - what a day that was. Can only add to the positive comments about the Sunderland fans after that one.
  • Options
    Watched it on TV in Australia. I recall the build up and some guy who was an actor and Charlton supporter being interviewed. Watched all up until it went to 6th penalty shots. When I heard the roar, I knew we had won. Watched presentations and got to bed about 4am. Had to work next morning. First person I seen was a work colleague who was a Villa supporter. Really tired but happy.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Watching it now and spoiler alert, i was convinced it was golden goal when Summerbee scored. 

Today should have been my 5th wedding anniversary but we couldn't get the venue she wanted.  I would probably have missed our first anniversary if it had been 🤣🤣
    Yep I remember thinking that at the time and turning to the bloke next to me asking that straight after he scored 
  • Options
    mogodon said:
    I headed outside when it came to penalties ... I simply could not watch. I sat on the steps into the stadium with almost 100 others. We listened to the roar of the Chalrton supporters and then the distant cheers of the Sunderlands fans at the other end as the penalties alternated. One than the other. There was a fleeting millisecond when a yell started at the Charlton end when it was Sunderland's turn - Illic got a hand to one of the shots and oh-so-briefly there was a thought he had saved it.  But the sound deflated before it really began and the whole back and forth resumed. Then the 14th penalty and the massive wave of sound as Illic saved.  A quick hug of the person nearest and then a sprint back into the stadium to re-join our friends and family and start celebrating properly.  I can't believe it was 25 years ago today I took this picture ...
    Amazing picture 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some wonderful memories. Went with my son and a couple of friends and was level with Richard Rufus when he scored with that great header. The rest of the game whizzed by and could hardly watch the penalties.
    I remember getting on a train at London Bridge to Woolwich which was absolutely rammed with our supporters and I will always remember the sheer pandemonium as we pulled into Charlton Station with the singing and cheering. 
  • Options
    Fantastic day and remember being congratulated by many Sunderland fans outside the ground afterwards. I found their fans very gracious in defeat fair play to them.
  • Options
    Apologies if mentioned elsewhere but issue 49 of the Blizzard has a long (about 25 page) article on the Greatest game. 

What struck me was the arrogance of Peter Reid who continues to insist that Sunderland were obviously the better team across the season. He said his pre match team talk included a comment to look at the table and see how many more points they had across the season (!!!?) and to go out and show that they were clearly the better team. 

My memories going into the match were of being fairly confident we could win. We didn’t have big name players at that time but we really were an excellent side with some hugely underrated stars (primarily Kins). The narrative was that Sunderland were clear favourites. They were certainly a very good team but I got the sense that everyone was underestimating how legitimately good Charlton were. 

It also reminded me of the astonishing quality of players in the league that season. The top 5 teams were star studded in a way that could never happen now. Players of that quality would never be playing in the Championship these days but back then it was just about possible. I’d argue quite strongly that it was the best year in modern history for the quality of player found in the second tier. Which made Charlton’s promotion all the more impressive. Great days anyway.