Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 25th May 1998. Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 - YOUR ACCOUNTS

Comments

• Options
    I was still at work.
  • Options
    I stumbled across this, it includes accounts from Curbs and Gray. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/24/feels-win-lose-pressurised-game-football/
  • Options
    I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread again.
    Perfect for a dreary day in the Emerald Isle.

We had moved to Greenhithe by this time so got the train up separately meeting a mate from work on the way as she didn’t have anyone else to go with 😮
    Decided to head straight to Wembley to soak up the atmosphere and so bought a load of tinnies & plonked ourselves on a patch of grass and waited for the rest of the family to arrive. 
    There were so many Sunderland fans but there were no issues. All in good spirits. All happy to chat.
    When we went in I just remember how much I really didn’t like Wembley. Having gone through the disappointment of the Full Members I just felt the place was really dark, dingy and miserable 😩 
    We took our seats. Only been married a few years but Hubby bumped into a fella who used to go out with his ex’s sister 🙄
    Dad was moaning about Mum being there 🥱

I really remember thinking what am I doing here? But all that changed when we scored!!!

Terry’s eldest needed the loo, so of course I had to take her. Which meant I missed their equaliser but the noise left us in no doubt it wasn’t us who scored 😞
    After that it was just mental.
    I don’t think I’ve ever experienced a football match like it. 
    Not even our last visit to Wembley comes close tbh.
    In fact, I still can’t believe we did it.
    That slow walk behind the police horse back down Wembley Way was surreal as we were silent. I actually remember one of the WPC’s on her horse saying she couldn’t believe how well behaved we all were.
    When we got to London Bridge we saw a train going to Greenhithe & decided to get on it. Leaving Terry with our parents, his kids & others. We just wanted to get home we were so knackered. We’d got more tinnies for the train home but I don’t think I even finished one.

That night the White Hart (a Charlton pub) was rocking. The beer garden literally was right by our front door. I kept going out to the balcony to listen & then going back indoors. We just didn’t have enough energy left to join them.

We both came down with a real dose of flu after that. Took us ages to get over it.

But I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

HAPPY CLIVE MENDONCA DAY FELLOW ADDICKS ♥️
  • Options
    I was so desperate for a ticket. Was only 14 at the time. 

I watched it at home and experienced every emotion possible. After Rufus scored I had a strong feeling we would win, even after Sunderland scored in extra time. We just wouldn't give up. Such an incredible day. I got more and more excited that evening the more It sunk in.......

More games on Sky! 

We'll be on Match of the Day! 

Merlin Sticker Album!!

Fuck! FIFA! (Home kit was white!?!)

Sasa on Noel's House Party!!!

You couldn't wipe the smile off my face until around christmas time when I knew we were probably going back down. 

So glad I was at the Play Off final in '19 and see us beat Sunderland again. It was always a massive regret that I didn't go the first time around but that made up for it.
  • Options
  • Options
    There’s a good piece on the game in the latest Four Four Two. Interviews with Mendonca, Quinn, Curbs, Reid, etc.
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Still remember that day like it was yesterday, went with my two sons, and what a day it was to test all the emotions, going in 1-0 with a lovely Super Clive finish, and within 10 minutes of the restart 1-2 down, 2-2, another great finish by Clive after an equally great assist from Keith Jones,... 2-3, and then the last 5 minutes and up pops Rufus for his first ever goal for us..
    I must say that if we had been on the end of the row, we might have left early at 2-3, the pressure was getting too much for me, and then up popped Rufus to force extra time...

Extra time, and before we knew it 3-4, down again, it was heartbreaking, but thanks to Browny's great tackle and set up for Steve Jones to cross for Clive to get his hattrick, we were 4-4...Phew.
    Penalties, hate them, and must say, didn't watch any of them, relying on crowd reaction to tell me the result, so, a great day, and must say no trouble with Sunderland fans on way back to the station, seems we all appreciated what was the best domestic match played at the Old Wembley,...great memories...👍
  • Options

Trophy lid on head photo, had to be done that night.
  • Options
    One of my favourite threads on the forum. So many stories and emotions. 25 years is some anniversary. Where has the time gone?
  • Options
    Eddie Youds on the game:

https://talksport.com/football/1435570/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @JohnBoyUK also in the 2nd one 
  • Options
    Shaun Newtons pen still terrifies me
    Even having watched replays a gazillion times I still think he’s going to miss and can hardly bare to look!!🫣🫣🫣
  • Options
    I remember coming home on the coach, and you would of thought we had lost the game.  Everyone was so quiet, mentally and physically drained.
    Took the next day off work and headed for a day out at Broadstairs.  Whilst on the beach I turned round and saw a large Charlton flag hanging from one of the houses.  Made me feel proud to be a Charlton supporter.  That Wembley final  was a day I'll never forget, and helps to ease the pain of some the difficult times supporting Charlton.
  • Options
    Take me back to May 25th, 1998!
    Let's go back in time!

The date is May 25th, 1998, and it's a Monday. Anyone born today will have the star sign Gemini. The weekend has just passed, so some people are feeling a bit down. Others are tired after partying too much.

The summer of 1998 has finally arrived. The weather has warmed up, and the evenings are brighter than usual. It is Memorial Day in the United States, which means that summer has unofficially begun. In America, the song Too Close by Next is at the top of the singles charts.

Over in the UK, Feel It by Tamperer & Maya is the number-one hit song. Bill Clinton is the President of the United States, and the movie Deep Impact is at the top of the box office. Tony Blair is the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

On television, people are watching popular shows such as "Melrose Place", "Friends", "Xena: Warrior Princess", and "Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction". A new form of communication called "text messaging" is starting to become more widespread. However, it can only be done if both the sender and the receiver are on the same cell network. The CD is quickly becoming the dominant format for music, and people are buying portable players such as the "Discman". Consequently, sales of cassette tapes are continuing to decline.

In fashion, bright and metallic colors are all the rage—a big change from the darker "grunge" colors of the early 1990s. Women are wearing maxi skirts, bell bottoms, knee boots, crop tops, tube tops, slip dresses, maxi coats, and platform shoes. Meanwhile, a lot of men have ditched their grunge and skater clothes in favor of a "dress casual" look. They are also beginning to cut their hair shorter. It's 1998, so radio stations are being dominated by the likes of Brandy, Monica, Aerosmith, R. Kelly, K-Ci & JoJo, Céline Dion, All Saints, Steps and Will Smith. The Clinton-Lewinsky sex scandal is receiving ongoing media attention.

If you were to travel back to this day, notable figures such as Phil Hartman, Michelle Thomas, Big L, and Stanley Kubrick would all still be alive. People are playing video games such as "Super Mario 64", "Star Fox 64", "GoldenEye 007", and "Grand Theft Auto". Kids and teenagers are watching TV shows such as "Johnny Bravo", "Pinky and the Brain", "Smart Guy", and "USA High".

Children are playing with toys such as Sylvanian Families, Polly Pocket, Littlest Pet Shop, and Dear Diary.
  • Options

I can only speak for myself but over the years I have noticed that quite a few of us left the stadium emotionally drained…..like we wanted to sit down somewhere quiet and alone just to gather ourselves.
    Normally I would be heading straight for the nearest pub but for some reason I just wanted to be alone for a while.
    I was emotionally drained and also felt a bit exhausted.
    I know this wasn’t the same for most of us, as can be seen on multiple 2019 threads but a fair few were left a bit numb and wondering what to do next.
    That was me anyway.  🤤🤤🤤
    Same here 
  • Options
    In my 52 years of supporting the club, that game has to be my happiest memory - even though I imagine my blood pressure was off the scale until “Ilic has saved it”. The strangest thing is tho, on the supporters coach back to Eltham you could have literally heard a pin drop - I think we were all so drained of nervous energy & adrenalin that there was no singing or cheering. What a day!
  • Options
    Currently watching the game again for the umpteenth time. 

I never remember us having so many opportunities after it went 3-2 - That Rufus goal really was deserved, given the pressure we'd been putting them under
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Watching it now and spoiler alert, i was convinced it was golden goal when Summerbee scored. 

Today should have been my 5th wedding anniversary but we couldn't get the venue she wanted.  I would probably have missed our first anniversary if it had been 🤣🤣