Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Norwich - PSF - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

Before Saturday the club need to arrange to employ staff to sell tickets and to open North Lower.
    The club need to fix and test the PA System.
    The club need to get an announcer that can announce and for announcements generally to be crystal clear, and if for crowd management or safety reasons the announcements need to be thought through properly and repeated.
    There were about 2.5k people in last night and if there were something like 3.5k in on Saturday the club can't run things as they did yesterday. It was unsafe.

The thought of everybody turning up at the last minute, cramming into the west lower and any notion of seat numbers on the tickets meaning anything going out of the window was one of the reasons I decided not to bother in the end last night. Sounds like I was right.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Phillips 6 nice couple of saves.
    Dijksteel 7.5 made one of their wingers, Murphy, look like an amateur. I could see their manager getting more and more pissed off with it. to the point he actually kicked the away dug out.
    Bauer 7 solid defending.
    Sarr 7 did well until that absolute Sarr like mess with their second goal.
    Barnes 5 struggled against a very pacey winger. never got the better of him.
    Fosu 6 first time I've seen him. I preferred Marshalls display before injury as he delivered some decent crosses. Fosu could be good but didn't seem to do that much that came off especially when in the box.
    Crofts 5 gave the ball away too many times and when tracking back he ended up fouling players.
    Forster-Caskey 5.5 apart from a couple on target shots he was very quiet.
    Holmes 7 typical holmes display. tenacious with skill. should of had a penalty i think.
    Clarke 6 tried to link up but felt he was running all over the place for the ball without really ever being in any threatening positions. I would of thought someone in that no 10 position should be closer to Magennis.
    Magennis 6.5 made some great runs but was isolated when he did get in behind.

Charles cook - 6.5

before the first goal we looked good. over passing it a bit but we were the team on top. after the goal we started to lose focus and then when the second went in and the subs happened we looked pretty clueless going forward. not sure where the goals are going to come from.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    seth plum said:

Before Saturday the club need to arrange to employ staff to sell tickets and to open North Lower.
    The club need to get an announcer that can announce and for announcements generally to be crystal clear, and if for crowd management or safety reasons the announcements need to be thought through properly and repeated.
    There were about 2.5k people in last night and if there were something like 3.5k in on Saturday the club can't run things as they did yesterday. It was unsafe.

There were 2,308 for Ipswich last season on the Tuesday of which 333 were aways. That's pretty much in line with last night's crowd - home support was 2,170 as opposed to 1,975. The game with RKC Waalwijk on the Saturday last year attracted 1,626 (217 visitors). I'd be surprised if Ipswich was much higher than Norwich and it may well be less.

Not a lot to benchmark these against in recent years, but there were 2,801 for Inverness in 2013 and 3,951 against Den Bosch in 2011.
  • Options
    Phillips 6
    Dijksteel 8.5 Has clearly shown he's ready now but I'd much prefer to see him doing what he's done so well for the U23s in central MIDFIELD, leaving Barnes with a chance to do what he does at RIGHT back.
    Bauer 7
    Sarr 8 Outstanding, and the passing people are rightly highlighting isn't just Llera-style cross-field diagonals. Also read danger very well.
    Barnes 5 Felt for him having to showcase what he can do in the wrong position. Filling in now and again on the other flank is one thing but he's been forced in there for the whole pre-season and was up against a good quality Championship winger last night.
    Fosu 6 A handful in possession but understandably inconsistent in his passing - he's a winger!
    Crofts 5 I feel he's had some unfair stick but we can't progress with him as a first choice CM. More than once his lack of drive meant he fobbed Sarr off with a ball he couldn't possibly deal any better with when he himself was being pressed. Took no responsibility in such a key position.
    Forster-Caskey 6.5
    Holmes 6
    Clarke 6 Certainly has some imaginative ways to change the course of the attack but we need him doing it further up the pitch, closer to Josh.
    Magennis 6.5

Charles-Cook 7 Not for the first time he brought some much needed drive and energy, like a more skillful Bradley Pritchard. Hopefully his versatility means his time has finally come to be involved in match day squads.

We can all see the shortcomings and I sincerely hope KR can too. Shoehorning in squad players or persisting with those that have shown they're mediocre is not going to provide a platform for a genuine promotion challenge. Still far too many uncertainties this close to the opener. We do have a handful of players who are good enough to carry the team to a play-off position but without the necessary signings to fill the glaring gaps even that may well be a bridge too far.

We're blessed with an exceptionally good batch of youngsters but they can't all be plunged in together, out of psition against seasoned pros who'll possibly destroy their confidence in front of frustrated fans. This far into a manager's tenure, the nucleus of the first team might usually be called a work in progress but there's nothing remotely usual about trying to assemble his squad under this bloody fool.
  • Options

seth plum said:

The thought of everybody turning up at the last minute, cramming into the west lower and any notion of seat numbers on the tickets meaning anything going out of the window was one of the reasons I decided not to bother in the end last night. Sounds like I was right.
    If you thought that was going to happen, you could have turned up earlier then couldn't you. Be honest you had no intentions of going anyway!
  • Options
    Forgot to mention Sarr, who had a very good game. The ball seemed to squirt away from him for their second goal, although the entire team was sleeping on the job when Norwich took a quick free kick.

As well as hitting some excellent long crossfield passes, he can really zip passes across the ground when he spots a gap. Whether he's up to it defensively, time will tell but good that at least he's showing some promise.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Essex_Al said:

seth plum said:

If you thought that was going to happen, you could have turned up earlier then couldn't you. Be honest you had no intentions of going anyway!
    I turned up with 20 mins to spare and a reasonable expectation of getting in easily with the exact cash money. I said that because I read it was cash on the turnstyles for Norwich in the Jimmy Seed and thought cash would work for me especially with a modest crowd in one stand.
    I got in as they kicked off so I was OK but plenty of people were coming in after me. Not a terrible experience but a bit Ryanair and with a bit of thought and planning it can be improved.
    You have to expect people to act like people, and schlepping down to a pre season friendly should not have to be planned like a military operation.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Essex_Al said:

seth plum said:

I turned up with 20 mins to spare and a reasonable expectation of getting in easily with the exact cash money. I said that because I read it was cash on the turnstyles for Norwich in the Jimmy Seed and thought cash would work for me especially with a modest crowd in one stand.
    I got in as they kicked off so I was OK but plenty of people were coming in after me. Not a terrible experience by a bit Ryanair and with a bit of thought and planning it can be improved.
    You have to expect people to act like people, and schlepping down to a pre season friendly should not have to be planned like a military operation.
    I hope this isnt a hidden clue that Michael O'Leary is taking over the club

He'll have the fans in the Stadium with the actual match being played 20-miles away
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

seth plum said:

Essex_Al said:

seth plum said:

I got in as they kicked off so I was OK but plenty of people were coming in after me. Not a terrible experience by a bit Ryanair and with a bit of thought and planning it can be improved.
    I hope this isnt a hidden clue that Michael O'Leary is taking over the club

He'll have the fans in the Stadium with the actual match being played 20-miles away
    Or kicking off a couple of hours late!
  • Options
    Phillips 6 ok i guess, but his distribution is poor, twice he rolled it out to a player surrounded by yellow shirts, putting us under pressure
    Dijksteel 8.5 great player, combative, full of energy, and looked great as a full back. Put his marker on his arse more than once with clever turns too
    Bauer 6.5 gets bullied a bit, and needs a partner with a bit of pace about themselves
    Sarr 8 excellent passing, last ditch defending and clearing headers, their second goal was unlucky for him as they passed it past him and he was unbalanced as he tried in vain to get a foot to the ball and subsequently fell, but it was good attacking play as opposed to a mistake from Naby
    Barnes 5.5 did ok getting forwards, but gave the ball away for a goal and was generally terrorised by Wildschut (who was Norwich's standout player)
    Fosu 6 drifting in and out of the game a lot, doesn't seem to like to cross the ball, cuts in almost every time
    Crofts 5 still can't pass for toffee, gets caught in possession and generally doesn't look like he can play, then makes an outstanding tackle and moves the ball on swiftly and you scratch your head
    Forster-Caskey 7 will have a big role to play in our season if we are to be successful, marauding runs, long range shots and incisive passing all on display against strong opposition
    Holmes 7 got laid out a couple of times by Naaaaarwch but was his usual tricky self
    Clarke 6.5 drifts in and out of the game, but his link up play with the wingers was good and i like the fact they all interchange. I feel he needs to release the ball earlier sometimes, but nowhere Watt's level of ball hogging, so that's ok
    Magennis 6.5 struggled at times to read what the rest were doing, but took his offside goal well and some of his hold up play was exceptional

Charles-Cook 6.5 played well, very tidy passer of the ball and has some strength in those chicken legs
  • Options
    I know people have slated Sarr in the past (Myself included) heres to hoping he continues this good run of form though! Mistakes happen all the time and its just unfortunate that it happened last night for him, as he is very much in the Charlton-life eye!
  • Options
    Bit of a shame that Sarr and Pearce are both left-footed, as it means that KR will be a little reluctant to play them together. Bauer probably just about worth starting over Konsa due to his goal threat, but perhaps the order is to play Konsa and increase his market value. He's a good defender in the making so perhaps no enormous loss.

Also, I think everyone on CL overrates Pearce something rotten. His version of defending is 50% of the time somewhat closer to fouling. He is a penalty waiting to happen.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I know people have slated Sarr in the past (Myself included) heres to hoping he continues this good run of form though! Mistakes happen all the time and its just unfortunate that it happened last night for him, as he is very much in the Charlton-life eye!

He has goals in him from set pieces so if he has improved - as young players do - he could be a good addition.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Bit of a shame that Sarr and Pearce are both left-footed, as it means that KR will be a little reluctant to play them together. Bauer probably just about worth starting over Konsa due to his goal threat, but perhaps the order is to play Konsa and increase his market value. He's a good defender in the making so perhaps no enormous loss.

Also, I think everyone on CL overrates Pearce something rotten. His version of defending is 50% of the time somewhat closer to fouling. He is a penalty waiting to happen.

We were better with Pearce than without him last season which explains his approval rating.
  • Options

What position does Dijksteel play?

He's like a Poyet or Cousins. Breaks play up very well, composed on the call and can pass. He's an old head on young shoulders and slotted in at RB very well. Seen a lot of him in the U23s and he's always a standout without looking like he's making much effort.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

how times have changed, your now even talking about Sarr starting regularly?

Not sure about that at all, think Bauer and Konsa are better bets.
  • Options
    I agree with Seth about the non-footballing matters last night. The PA system has volume but lacks clarity, and as noted, talking quickly is not a factor that helps the situation. The half-time pitch-side interview was lost on all around me, the substitutions were an aural blur - which didn't help as most of the crowd are not familiar with a) the new signings and b) the emergent starlets from U-23 ranks. The audio was necessary because most were also finding the team-lists on the big screen un-readable - did nobody do a test-run on this, or only the designer with 20-20 vision looking at a laptop? Could at least the font colour not have been changed at half-time? Tweets to @CAFCOfficial remain un-answered, during and after the game.
    There was also a bag-search of sorts (home supporters for a friendly?), but as my bag was blind-side of the stewards I strolled past with my bag of sandwiches/crisps/Sports Direct clobber! On the point of the apparent need for security, KM didn't arrive at her seat until about 30 seconds to kick-off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Pearce won promotion from this league the season before last. Sarr has never even won a regular place in a first team.

Great to read Sarr is playing well but pre-season is completely different from doing it in competitive games, especially when you're playing twice a week.

It's not impossible but it would be a huge improvement from him to play well consistently.
  • Options

What position does Dijksteel play?

He's like a Poyet or Cousins. Breaks play up very well, composed on the call and can pass. He's an old head on young shoulders and slotted in at RB very well. Seen a lot of him in the U23s and he's always a standout without looking like he's making much effort.
    He seems to have telescopic legs too. Won a few tackles last night and I have no idea how. No shortage of skill too

• Options
    Leuth said:

Also, I think everyone on CL overrates Pearce something rotten. His version of defending is 50% of the time somewhat closer to fouling. He is a penalty waiting to happen. </blockquote

I think Pearce is underrated by some on here. He's a good defender and is also a lot better on the ball than most CB at this level. Look at his record!

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Phillips made a couple of good saves. No chance with either.
    Dijksteel was the standout player, playing out of position. Destroyed Murphy 3 times by turning inside.
    Barnes was a little at sea on the left against a good winger and will learn from it. Got better as the game went on and more than capable as Solly's understudy.
    Sarr was solid. Some good passes. Gave the ball away for their second but out back 4 were all over the place as Norwich had 3 quick free kicks prior to the goal in quick succession.

The ref was poor. Didn't let the game flow at all.

A good run out against a decent Norwich side who should finish in the top half of the league above this season. We are still a long way off from Bristol Rovers. We need a new keeper to compete with Phillips, another CB as we only have 3 if you don't include Lennon who has been out for almost 12 months. Another winger, maybe even 2 if Marshall is out long term and another striker. Ideally someone who will actually score some goals. Ipswich will be interesting as the squad will no doubt be stronger but we have no depth to our name.

We have four centre backs without Lennon. Baeur, Pearce, Konsa. Sarr.
    dickplumb said:

Phillips made a couple of good saves. No chance with either.
    Dijksteel was the standout player, playing out of position. Destroyed Murphy 3 times by turning inside.
    Barnes was a little at sea on the left against a good winger and will learn from it. Got better as the game went on and more than capable as Solly's understudy.
    Sarr was solid. Some good passes. Gave the ball away for their second but out back 4 were all over the place as Norwich had 3 quick free kicks prior to the goal in quick succession.

The ref was poor. Didn't let the game flow at all.

A good run out against a decent Norwich side who should finish in the top half of the league above this season. We are still a long way off from Bristol Rovers. We need a new keeper to compete with Phillips, another CB as we only have 3 if you don't include Lennon who has been out for almost 12 months. Another winger, maybe even 2 if Marshall is out long term and another striker. Ideally someone who will actually score some goals. Ipswich will be interesting as the squad will no doubt be stronger but we have no depth to our name.

We have four centre backs without Lennon. Baeur, Pearce, Konsa. Sarr.
    I completely forgot about Konsa.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Leuth said:

Great to read Sarr is playing well but pre-season is completely different from doing it in competitive games, especially when you're playing twice a week.

And when he starts to get booed from the first perceived error.....
  • Options

BTW anyone who was there is a real fan, the rest of you are plastics

Not sure thats true because a lot of people who go to the games buy the shirt but thwhqml
  • Options
    Llll)llllllllllllllllllllll))l
  • Options
    Sorry phone hot buggered ignore previous comments
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Leuth said:

I think Pearce is underrated by some on here. He's a good defender and is also a lot better on the ball than most CB at this level. Look at his record!

I have to say I agree with Leuth on this. He gives away a lot of sloppy fouls. Think he's more than good enough at this level, but he is not comfortable on the ball at all. You could see in the Ireland games just how awkward he is with the ball at his feet and time.