Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2017/18 Betting Thread

Comments

• Options

Rather than tying up a load of money on those bets, why not just back Charlton to beat AFC Wimbledon at evens this weekend?

people may think we are a better bet to finish top 6 than to beat Wimbledon?

I don't, and would prefer your bet though.
  • Options
    @Atletico Addick

I dont really ever see any value personally in season long bets as a single, just feel if you put money on them there isn't great return.

Eg. if you back Wigan/ Charlton every week in a single if you feel they are going to win the league would probably make more money in the long run.

My mates normally do a winners and relegation accy for the season , which could be could value, i dont ever bother though.
  • Options
    i always do a each way lucky 15 on league winners, this years is basically dead as it comprises of.

chelsea
    boro
    blackburn
    swindon

the only pre season bet that has some legs is leeds each way ( 4 places ) 25/1
  • Options

i always do a each way lucky 15 on league winners, this years is basically dead as it comprises of.

chelsea
    boro
    blackburn
    swindon

the only pre season bet that has some legs is leeds each way ( 4 places ) 25/1

I did the same, went for Man city, Wolves, Blackburn and Masnfield... going okay atm
  • Options
    I bet on Shrewsbury to win the league on the handicap but unfortunately in a double with yeovil to do the same in league 2
  • Options
    Did Forest and Fleetwood e/w singles on the handicap table, +18points and +16points respectively. Shrewsbury have probably wrapped up League 1, whilst Cardiff, Bristol City, Ipwich and Preston are all higher than Forest and would have had a comparable or higher points headstart.

Got a fiver on Atletico Madrid for the Spanish title at 25/1 win only. Not expecting it to come in, hence the small stake, but thought the odds were overly generous in the wake of Barcelona flogging Neymar. Thought Barca were going to have a really poor season and Atletico would be Real's main competition. As it's turned out, Barcelona have been superb and Real dropped points in their first 3 home games. Atletico still unbeaten.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

@Atletico Addick

I dont really ever see any value personally in season long bets as a single, just feel if you put money on them there isn't great return.

Eg. if you back Wigan/ Charlton every week in a single if you feel they are going to win the league would probably make more money in the long run.

My mates normally do a winners and relegation accy for the season , which could be could value, i dont ever bother though.

From someone who's made a fair whack on ante-post/season-long bets (as well as singles, mind) I am a promoter of them.

You are playing with variance when you back singles, tiny things such as discrepancies from the officials, tiny mistakes etc. can cost you a single bet. It's likely we will beat beat AFC, but it's a better bet for us to Finish top 6 (easily come back when we beat AFC and finish 7th and 'prove me' wrong - but still wouldn't mean I don't think there was more value in the Top 6 bet). Season long this variance will level out (majorly at least), and things will swing for you as much as against you. May not happen in a single match as we all know with the referees and the form of some players etc.

Last pre-season I took Wycombe top 12 and Top 7 of L2 (Top 7 at 7/2 for a sizeable chunk, and Top 12 for a more sizeable chunk). I didn't back them once during the season. They finished 9th but a point and GD away from Top 7, and 4pts clear of the bottom Half. Far from safe but after the ET loss away to Tottenham picking up a heap of injuries, they lost 6 in their next 7 league matches.

2014/15 I went AFC Bournemouth top half of Champ at 4/5, they won the league. They finished top half the season before but I saw nothing but strength added to their squad, and players like Kermorgant (to name one we all know well) were great additions that the bookies obviously didn't rate quite so highly.

This season I wanted Exeter top half and I believe it was Fleetwood for L1, but didn't manage to get any money on either - no one was taking a fair sized online stake and I was in Australia at the time!

Anyway, it's in the eye of the beholder, value. It's also not for everyone, it ties up your money for a long period. Wouldn't say there would be season long value backing us weekly, there would be in a team on a heavier season handicap, e.g. Oxford or Shrews. I can see value in even 8/13 shots that will be tied up season-long, as long as I was certain I felt the value outweighed the odds shown. Others wouldn't place it even in the same situation with the value they see, be it too low odds or too long a tie-in period.
  • Options

@Atletico Addick

From someone who's made a fair whack on ante-post/season-long bets (as well as singles, mind) I am a promoter of them.

You are playing with variance when you back singles, tiny things such as discrepancies from the officials, tiny mistakes etc. can cost you a single bet. It's likely we will beat beat AFC, but it's a better bet for us to Finish top 6 (easily come back when we beat AFC and finish 7th and 'prove me' wrong - but still wouldn't mean I don't think there was more value in the Top 6 bet). Season long this variance will level out (majorly at least), and things will swing for you as much as against you. May not happen in a single match as we all know with the referees and the form of some players etc.

Last pre-season I took Wycombe top 12 and Top 7 of L2 (Top 7 at 7/2 for a sizeable chunk, and Top 12 for a more sizeable chunk). I didn't back them once during the season. They finished 9th but a point and GD away from Top 7, and 4pts clear of the bottom Half. Far from safe but after the ET loss away to Tottenham picking up a heap of injuries, they lost 6 in their next 7 league matches.

2014/15 I went AFC Bournemouth top half of Champ at 4/5, they won the league. They finished top half the season before but I saw nothing but strength added to their squad, and players like Kermorgant (to name one we all know well) were great additions that the bookies obviously didn't rate quite so highly.

This season I wanted Exeter top half and I believe it was Fleetwood for L1, but didn't manage to get any money on either - no one was taking a fair sized online stake and I was in Australia at the time!

Anyway, it's in the eye of the beholder, value. It's also not for everyone, it ties up your money for a long period. Wouldn't say there would be season long value backing us weekly, there would be in a team on a heavier season handicap, e.g. Oxford or Shrews. I can see value in even 8/13 shots that will be tied up season-long, as long as I was certain I felt the value outweighed the odds shown. Others wouldn't place it even in the same situation with the value they see, be it too low odds or too long a tie-in period.
    Thanks for your response Atletico, I generally didnt see the value so its interesting to here the thoughts. I think personally if i was going to do a season long bet which is +EV(Poker term) it would be classed as a punt. Alot of the odds on, i feel dont really warrant it. However it clearly is for those who ie. can invest and get a return or know what they are doing :)
  • Options
    Good bet a few weeks ago was Charlton top South East club 5/2 with skybet.
  • Options
    Will be have a little bit on us to win the league at 20s 1/3 odds top 2.
    Once we get this year out the way hardly anyone to play away
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is still value in our leauge. Wigan at 8/15 to win the leauge is ridiculous, yes we all saw them take us apart very comprehensively, but would that be the same if we played them tomorrow ? Blackburn at 10/1 Shrewsbury at 10/1 Charlton at 16/1 . £15 on Wigan wins you £8, £5 on the next three in the betting nets you, £50, £50 or £80.

This is Wigan not Manchester City, they are almost certain to have injuries a bad run (which we all have) this will see them drop points. You would be mad to back them at 8/15. Even back the next three in betting at £2.50 ew could bring you a £33.32, £33.32 or £53.32. Plus it's possible you could pick up the win on one selection and the second place with one of the other two, thus collecting on two of the three bets.

So in my view the 8/15 Wigan is far more outrageous than the 1/4 on offer about Man City.
  • Options

There is still value in our leauge. Wigan at 8/15 to win the leauge is ridiculous, yes we all saw them take us apart very comprehensively, but would that be the same if we played them tomorrow ? Blackburn at 10/1 Shrewsbury at 10/1 Charlton at 16/1 . £15 on Wigan wins you £8, £5 on the next three in the betting nets you, £50, £50 or £80.

This is Wigan not Manchester City, they are almost certain to have injuries a bad run (which we all have) this will see them drop points. You would be mad to back them at 8/15. Even back the next three in betting at £2.50 ew could bring you a £33.32, £33.32 or £53.32. Plus it's possible you could pick up the win on one selection and the second place with one of the other two, thus collecting on two of the three bets.

So in my view the 8/15 Wigan is far more outrageous than the 1/4 on offer about Man City.

It's is low, perhaps only the real way on cashing in on it is a clear lay. Only takes some injuries or late-season nerves and they may slip into 2nd or even 3rd/4th, as you say They're not Manchester City. I think they may win it but at more of a 50/50 shot than 8/15.
  • Options

It's is low, perhaps only the real way on cashing in on it is a clear lay. Only takes some injuries or late-season nerves and they may slip into 2nd or even 3rd/4th, as you say They're not Manchester City. I think they may win it but at more of a 50/50 shot than 8/15.
    I'll have some of that please evens on wigan
  • Options
    Ps what offers do you do for opening an account with you
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I'll have some of that please evens on wigan
    Haha, I'd probably get taken to the cleaners and to the price laid elsewhere!
    clb74 said:

Ps what offers do you do for opening an account with you

Bet £50 Get Your Account Limited Before You Can Turnover 10x The Deposited Amount. :- )
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Welling evens today (at home) after winning their last six on the bounce.
    Wealdstone also showing good form having not lost a game since early September. They have good home form but have drew their always.
    Going to have a punt on H/T Draw F/T Welling at 9/2

Luton at home also look big at evens?

As for furthest travellers today, that award has got to go to Hartlepool (away to Torquay).
  • Options
    I like Swindon today (21/10) away to Port Vale
    Port Vale at home - 4 points from 7 home games (1-1-5)
    Swindon away - 15 points from 7 away games (5-0-2)

Port Vale have won their last 3, which helps the price, but 2 of those were away. 71% of their points this season have come from away games.
    Swindon have conceded 18 goals this season but only 5 of those in away games.
    Port Vale have failed to keep a clean sheet at home all season and haven't once equalised after going behind.

All that points to a 1-0 Port Vale now :wink:
  • Options
    Dartford Wellingand Truro again today at about 5/1
  • Options
    Thought of Truro, but with next weeks game, may distract the team.
  • Options
    The sky boost of Man City, Wolves, Watford from 9/2 to 13/2 looks worth playing today.

Some other value Shrewsbury at over 2/1 at Peterborough ? bookies still not convinced Shrewsbury are for real.

Woking at Evens best home form in leauge against team with some of worst away ?

So Woking, Shrewsbury, Charlton treble

But big bet of day is.

Cardiff, Luton, Macclesfield treble.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I like Swindon today (21/10) away to Port Vale
    Port Vale at home - 4 points from 7 home games (1-1-5)
    Swindon away - 15 points from 7 away games (5-0-2)

Port Vale have won their last 3, which helps the price, but 2 of those were away. 71% of their points this season have come from away games.
    Swindon have conceded 18 goals this season but only 5 of those in away games.
    Port Vale have failed to keep a clean sheet at home all season and haven't once equalised after going behind.

All that points to a 1-0 Port Vale now :wink:

Well that went rather well. Nice 3-0 away win.
  • Options
    Bet365 offer back this Sunday for United @ Chelsea
    Only a fiver for me. Boo.
  • Options
    Today gone for longer shots:

£1 - £159.81
    Leicester
    West Brom
    Liverpool
    QPR
    Leeds

£2-£114.87
    Millwall, Derby, Villa, Southampton, Blackpool, Blackburn, Cheltenham

£3 - BTTS - Returns £96.80
    Bristol/Cardiff
    Southampton/Burnley
    Bolton/Norwich
    Brentford/Leeds
    AFC Wimbledon/Lincoln
    Carlisle/Oldham

£1 BTTS and win £276.88
    Gills, Luton, Forest Green, AFC Wimbledon
  • Options
    Last weekend had £20 on Preston v Brentford BTTS in both halves @ 9s.

Sticking to form same bet Ipswich v Preston.
  • Options
    Well absolute cack last weekend. This weeks are:

Derby, Bradford, Colchester, Peterborough 4 fold for £40

Wimbledon, Gillingham £25 double
    Oldham Plymouth £25 double & £10 fourfold.

WBA, Barnsly, Villa £10 Treble.
  • Options
    Rarely do accies but gone for a 6 fold at 24's:

BTTS:
    Carlisle Utd v Oldham
    Cheltenham v Maidstone Utd
    Crewe v Rotherham
    Gainsborough v Slough Town
    Morecambe v Hartlepool
    Ipswich v Preston

Also singles on Over 10.5 Corners in Rangers v Partick, Dundee Utd v St. Mirren & Over 9.5 in Hamilton v Aberdeen. All with Bet365.
  • Options
    Colchester losing at home to Oxford City were the only ones to let me down for £326.

Tired of one or two losing my accumulators now. Had a short break away from it and this was my first one since, one team letting me down again...
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Better than a kick up the back side.
  • Options

Tried to post a pic taking too long:

West Ham Liverpool
    Villa Wednesday
    Sheff Utd Hull
    BTTS 9/2 £15 on it
  • Options

Tried to post a pic taking too long:

West Ham Liverpool
    Villa Wednesday
    Sheff Utd Hull
    BTTS 9/2 £15 on it
    Bloody hell that was lucky, Samba in the dying moments for Villa won you that bet!