Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IAAF World Championships London 2017

Comments

• Options

IT_Andy said:

BR3red said:

You was there? @IT_Andy

Looked great atmosphere?

Yep got my ticket last year. Paid a fortune for the ticket and took a gamble that Bolt would run the 100m and not the 200m as predicted.
    We bought 4 category B tickets for last night & next Weds @ £75 each. No concessions for seniors or children for that price on either night.

Had seats opposite the medal podium across the infield so not great for the 100m heats but only 12 rows from the track with clear views of the long jump pit, discus circle etc.

Grandson & his friend were close enough to sprint down the aisle to get good pics of Mo & his family when they did the lap of honour.
    Got Cat B tickets for next Thursday. Had hoped to see Gemili in the 200m but not to be. I think I'll be next to the triple jump pit, which was one of my considerations too
    Excellent. Hope you have a great evening.

We were hoping to see Gemili in the 200 heats but will have to see if he appears in the relay which has been mentioned, but will have to watch on the Beeb.
  • Options

Have to admit that I booed Gatlin last night in the heats ...

....but I had it on very good authority that certain GB gold medallists were "taking illegal substances " back in the 80s/90s , which I'm sure will not surprise Lifers interested in track & field over the years.

A guy we met in La, '84 & stayed friends with for several years after was a good pal of an ex GB discus thrower, both being in the police force .

Said athlete spoke of the 2 medallists "escaping" out of the window at the warm weather Training Ground in Tenerife when they were tipped off that the drug testers were on their way.

Maybe we make allowances for our own athletes or maybe we pretend to be hard of hearing...

Everyone used to boo Dwaine Chambers just as much tbf.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Let's be fair to Gatlin to come out to the chorus of boo's and then beat the fastest man in the world takes some bollocks and then give it back. He did the crime and did his time.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Male streaker came on just before the 100m final. He ran on the track, close to me obviously prearranged as he was quick to strip off. Funny to see and added to the occasion.
    Waste of a expensive ticket and he didn't see the 100 final.
  • Options
    Out of the 656 track and field finalists in 2012, 88 had committed a doping violation or have since done so, that’s 13 percent or 1 in 7.

A further 138 finalists or 21 percent fall into a category that suggests they bear a more tenuous connection, in that their coach, doctor or agent has been associated to doping, or has been investigated; or they have failed or missed a drug test but evaded a ban

Someone will invariably say, ‘What the hell, let them take the substance it’s their own risk’. But, this is bang out of order. We put our children into sporting activities in the belief that it is for their wellbeing. Should they progress to near elite standard they will be confronted by this issue - either in pushing their own boundaries - or by the competitors they face at the track..

Anyone in any doubt about the possible harm factors should read up about the former East German regime’s systematic drugs program. Many lives were wrecked. Yes there has been advancements made in the knowledge of medicine and its effects, but if we are to draw a line, let that line be absolutely clear. No to drugs ever!

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-scottish-mail-on-sunday/20170730/282995399945473
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Let's be fair to Gatlin to come out to the chorus of boo's and then beat the fastest man in the world takes some bollocks and then give it back. He did the crime and did his time.

Who's to say that the drugs he taken in the past didn't help him last night?
  • Options
    In the BBC article it said the gains can last a decade after you stop/are found out.
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Who's to say that the drugs he taken in the past didn't help him last night?
    If that's the case then the governing body should ban anyone caught cheating for life. But they didn't and he has been clean since returning from a 4 year ban in 2010.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

The fastest 100m times ever. Those caught doping struck out in red.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had not realised both Powell and Blake were cheats too, how sad.
  • Options
    Does a banned drugs cheat get tested whilst they are banned. Could they in theory carry on training, just not competing, taking whatever then get clean before the end of the ban?
  • Options
    I wonder if any clean athlete will ever get close to Flo Jo's record?
  • Options

Had not realised both Powell and Blake were cheats too, how sad.

Yohan Blake was a funny one if I remember rightly - what he took wasn't banned but was similar to a banned substance so he got a bsn of a couple of months.

Strikes me all athletes take (at the least) every legal advantage up until they become illegal (e.g. What Sharapova could have done if she had realised to stop when her supplement became illegal), so not sure why he got banned.
  • Options
    Good finish to the women's 100 metres final
  • Options

Good finish to the women's 100 metres final

Superb dip.
  • Options

I know of Gatlains past with drugs but didnt deserve the booing when he won, as bad as the French when they booed Froome in the TdF.

This is Sport there never will be guarantees and regardless Gatlain gave an instant great tribute to Bolt the moment he won

Nothing like the frogs booing Froome, those classless morons sought to impede the best in the field just cos he isn't french.
    Different to us at the stadium who booed Gatlin cos of his history of cheating.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Nearly time for Laura Muir, my favourite athlete of recent times. Win or lose she's going to give it a real go
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Come on , the Lauras !!
  • Options
    I believe it was banned in 2006 and came back in 2010. I was surprised how loud the booing was on Saturday night. As Michael Johnson pointed out the booing wasn't that loud in 2012 so I guess everyone is showing their distisfaction with drugs in general. Blake had a failed test overturned.
  • Options
    rina said:

Nearly time for Laura Muir, my favourite athlete of recent times. Win or lose she's going to give it a real go

4th
  • Options
    That was about as good a race as you can get
  • Options
    Surprised Phil Jones the track side interviewer doesn't get more stick.

He asks devastated athletes to describe their emotions as they're edged out of the medals; what's its like to watch back on the big screen as the others pass them on the finish line and how disappointed they are if they'd done better at previous championships.

Jeez man, give a rest.
  • Options
    rina said:

Laura Muir didn't run a good race tactically, she'll regret that

Of course this race has the whole Senenya controversy as well...
  • Options
    I felt sorry for Muir tonight, she was beaten fairly by two athletes. The other athlete had an advantage that women don't normally have. Not a nice thing to say but it doesn't seem a level field to me.
  • Options
    What about men who have more testosterone?
  • Options

I felt sorry for Muir tonight, she was beaten fairly by two athletes. The other athlete had an advantage that women don't normally have. Not a nice thing to say but it doesn't seem a level field to me.

What about a man with larger than normal lungs or a slower natural heart rate that gets an advantage other men don't normally have?
  • Options

rina said:

Laura Muir didn't run a good race tactically, she'll regret that

Of course this race has the whole Senenya controversy as well...
    Only caught a bit of the interview with Senenya, but listening & seeing "her" I would say there is definitely an issue there. JEH said about the same & that Senenya's testosterone levels are high.

Then again, I think Muir ran a bad race & should have got a medal if she'd paced it properly.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!