Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IAAF World Championships London 2017

Comments

• Options
    Rather limp 400m final, not helped by the Makwala absence, weird to have no Americans higher than 7th too
  • Options
    This sickness bug maybe not handled very well. Why was Makwala denied when only vomited once, allegedly?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    This IAAF representative is getting put through the wringer here!
  • Options

This sickness bug maybe not handled very well. Why was Makwala denied when only vomited once, allegedly?

According to the IAAF he reported things differently when giving his version of events
  • Options
    Hence the 'allegedly'. Who was with him when it happened? No team Dr. it seems. Don't know the whole story, just seems badly handled as well as massively unfortunate
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    A quartet of total idiots grilling that poor woman from the IAAF - embarrassing from the BBC
  • Options
    Feel sorry for the IAAF woman here.

I bet if the panellists were still competing, they'd demand stringent measures to ensure their tip top condition before a race. There'd be hell to pay if the norovirus was allowed to spread.
  • Options
    The IAAF grilling was down to them not communicating what was going on and then making it up as they went along.
  • Options
    That woman was a health worker not an IAAF official .
    There was a lot of contradictory stuff said by her compared to what the Botswana officials were saying
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't help wondering if the same rules would have been so strictly applied had it been someone like Farah or Bolt involved, or if their recovery in time for their final would have been enough to allow them to compete...?
  • Options
    Sounds like someone (my guess based on nothing is the athlete) isn't being entirely consistent with what they are telling people.
  • Options

That woman was a health worker not an IAAF official .
    There was a lot of contradictory stuff said by her compared to what the Botswana officials were saying

I was commenting on the IAAF Official that appeared later.
  • Options
    Sounds like a real ham-handed handling of it, centring on whether he was simply sick once getting off the bus, or over an 18hr period like the doctor documented in his report. Either way, communication seemed poor
  • Options
    GD78 said:

We're going on Thursday night. Can anyone that has been let me know what it has been like getting in and out of the stadium? Also any tips on where we can get something to eat? I assume its the normal overpriced stuff?

We are getting the high speed to and from Ebbsfleet.

We went Sunday and going again. We didn't find it too long to get in and was pretty efficient. Probably about 10 minute queue. Getting out again is pretty easy although they do divert you slightly depending on where you are in the stadium.

One tip. If you are parking at Ebbsfleet, pay for your parking before leaving the station. There were huge queues to pay afterwards. I think it was £9.40 for the day. for it to be cheaper you would have to be out within 4 hours which you won't be,

As for eating there are burger vans etc which didn't seem to have big queues. There are lots of places within the shopping centre but if you wanted a restaurant there will be queues. We had pre booked Strada, which was dreadful btw, but the queue outside was probably half hour. Other places seem to have bigger queues. There is the fast food court.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/40880484

Makwala is allowed to run a solo time trial, and makes the 200m semi final!
  • Options
    Is @Fanny Fanackapan at the athletics tonight as I think the camera panned onto her just before Mo's race ?
  • Options
    Yes she is @Elthamaddick
  • Options
    Cracking 400m hurdles. Pleased for the lad and at 21 years old going to improve too.
  • Options

Cracking 400m hurdles. Pleased for the lad and at 21 years old going to improve too.

Best reaction I've seen so far!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just spotted her waving her flag too!
  • Options
    Woohoo ! Fame at last !

Yes, t'was me but am betting it wasn't a flattering shot !

What a dreadful evening weatherwise but the good old British public , plus a "few" from elsewhere around the globe, enjoyed another great evening of athletics.

IF there is any chance you might be able to beg , borrow or even pilfer a couple of tickets for one of the remaining nights, I urge you to do so.

With our medal hopes diminishing ( which was to be expected with the likes of Greg & Jess missing) it's heartening to see so many lesser known Brits competing & only narrowly missing out. Their time will come and you can look back & say with pride " I was there to see them before they were famous".

Now, do I go to bed or re run that 3 hours of BBC coverage......
  • Options
    if you sky+ it then your moment of fame was around 8pm
  • Options
    I support the British usually but I'd dearly love Isaac Makwala to win the 200 metres given his treatment.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

I support the British usually but I'd dearly love Isaac Makwala to win the 200 metres given his treatment.

Should be a really close race, as van Niekerk looked knackered last night
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Should be a really close race, as van Niekerk looked knackered last night
    agreed, would be surprised he wins the gold. American Isiah Young ran well last night, think he's about 3/1 to win a medal which isn't a bad shout.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

if you sky+ it then your moment of fame was around 8pm

Thanks, Danny.

On TV courtesy of grandson Will behind the big flag but Pippa to his left managed to share the fame.
  • Options
    Bit of an anticlimax, the Turkish guy winning the 200m!

I was near the back, and due to the roof having its cantilever (or whatever they were) struts underneath it, they actually impeded my view of the big screen, which was pretty annoying as my tickets weren't cheap either (the screen provides replays, results, qualifiers etc). It seems rather poor design to have this flaw after all the money spent on rebuilding the stadium...

• Options

Bit of an anticlimax, the Turkish guy winning the 200m!

I was near the back, and due to the roof having its cantilever (or whatever they were) struts underneath it, they actually impeded my view of the big screen, which was pretty annoying as my tickets weren't cheap either (the screen provides replays, results, qualifiers etc). It seems rather poor design to have this flaw after all the money spent on rebuilding the stadium...

So, a football stadium is not the place for athletes.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!