Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just cancelled sky. Looking for new tv deal

Comments

• Options
    I'm after some advice, i have just bought a TV and just want a basic package to start me off, looking at about £40.00 a month for Broadband and TV. At the moment my broadband is on a roll over with EE and is costing £22 a month. Virgin is unavailable in my area so i guess BT. or SKY or Vodafone are my options. I would need an Ariel install as well as the TV set up.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Badger said:

I'm after some advice, i have just bought a TV and just want a basic package to start me off, looking at about £40.00 a month for Broadband and TV. At the moment my broadband is on a roll over with EE and is costing £22 a month. Virgin is unavailable in my area so i guess BT. or SKY or Vodafone are my options. I would need an Ariel install as well as the TV set up.

Thanks.

Sell the tv
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Moved house a couple weeks back and sky engineer came to fit the dish , nice easy job for him as the house is pre wired with a twin sky socket in the front room. Alarm bells started to ring when he asked what the socket was for and asked if I had the dish. After fitting the dish (took forever) he came inside (by now it was dark) and told me he couldn't clip the small amount of cable from the dish to the soffit as he couldn't find his hammer! Not a problem as being a spark I have many so I lent him one.

Anyway all was finished and off he went but a couple of times the signal has died lately , didn't think much of it until I went outside a couple of days ago and saw the dish.

I've now had to kick off at sky and told them they will be geting someone round to sort on Saturday and not the original clown and I want the instal fee of £35 returned .Unbelievably at first they weren't going to refund it but have agreed to now . If my boss saw me do something that bad I'd be in all sorts of shit .
  • Options
    Have the bolts pulled out or did the installer not have a spanner in his bag?
  • Options
    I am taking a hard look at Hulu Live TV. For us, just $39 per month and has every channel I want. Can even watch it on TV, not just the computer. I have high speed internet. Would like the idea of saving $70 per month.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Thanks.

I can get you mates rates on t.v. an broadband just inbox me your full name and mobile number. Ìts only for new customers but saves you quite abit on even their best deals
  • Options

Got BT Infinity and its fine and been very reliable. Customer services is like most broadband suppliers hit and miss but I have not had to phone them re problems so not an issue.

Then how do you know if you’ve never called them?
    LOL!
  • Options

Have the bolts pulled out or did the installer not have a spanner in his bag?

Clearly not put in properly in the first place. Hard to tell from that picture but the heads are also bent over. Fella was out there nearly two hours just to erect the dish and connect the already there cables.
  • Options
    Maybe he was trying to hammer the bolts in? Pretty shoddy.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Maybe he was trying to hammer the bolts in? Pretty shoddy.

Unlikely as he didn't have a hammer.

I'm interested to see if they try to pull the trick of sending him back again , for his sake and theirs I hope they don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just called BT threatening to cancel and move elsewhere.

Ended up offering me an improved package at a lower price!

Their fastest broadband (unlimited), the 'max' TV package (includes BT Sport 4K UHD), plus the 4K YouView Box for £54.99 p/m. They've also chucked in free landline calls at evenings/weekends (not that I'll end up using this).
  • Options

Just called BT threatening to cancel and move elsewhere.

Ended up offering me an improved package at a lower price!

Their fastest broadband (unlimited), the 'max' TV package (includes BT Sport 4K UHD), plus the 4K YouView Box for £54.99 p/m. They've also chucked in free landline calls at evenings/weekends (not that I'll end up using this).

Does that include the sky sports channels as well?
  • Options
    Sky has just emailed to tell me that, even though I'm mid-contract, they are putting my bill up by £40 per year.

Has anyone had any luck in getting them to cancel the increase? Getting no-where fast and the option I've just been given is pay it or leave early for £148.20.

I'm slightly agitated by this. What's the point in entering in to a contract if one party can change the terms any time and the consumer is forced to accept them without any right to reject. I can't see how that's fair.
  • Options

What's the point in entering in to a contract if one party can change the terms any time and the consumer is forced to accept them without any right to reject. I can't see how that's fair.

Ask Roland he seems to think this is OK.
  • Options

Sky has just emailed to tell me that, even though I'm mid-contract, they are putting my bill up by £40 per year.

Has anyone had any luck in getting them to cancel the increase? Getting no-where fast and the option I've just been given is pay it or leave early for £148.20.

I'm slightly agitated by this. What's the point in entering in to a contract if one party can change the terms any time and the consumer is forced to accept them without any right to reject. I can't see how that's fair.

Read this stuff. It might help. https://moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/2018/02/sky-to-increase-price-of-some-broadband-packages-in-april

BUT, they are NOT changing the terms of the contract. Just the price. The contract terms clearly set out what you signed up for (my emphasis):

Under the Sky digital Subscription Contract we can increase the prices for the Stand-alone Premium Channels or extra Sky Premium Channels at any time during the Minimum Term.
    However, in all other cases during the Minimum Term we can only increase the relevant Subscription Payment once
    in any 12 month period
    . This increase won’t affect you during the first 60 days of your subscription to your chosen
    service(s) and will not be more than either 10% of the standard price of your Option or the increase in the UK Retail Price
    Index over the last 12 months before we tell you about that price increase, whichever is greater
    . Under the Sky digital
    Subscription Contract, if at any time you change your chosen Service, you will pay the then current price for your new
    Service from the day you first receive it.

I don't know if that's similar to your contract obviously but it's likely to be I guess. As always, never sign up for anything without reading the small print.
  • Options

Bit of guidance here mate: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-5426703/How-Sky-contract-better-deal.html
  • Options
    Been some radio adverts this week advising you can give 30 days notice to leave your contract penalty free if you have mid contract increases.
  • Options
    My 12 month Sky discount is due to run out next month, so will go back up to full price for the remainder of the 18 month contract. Time for my annual threaten to leave call to Sky!
  • Options

My 12 month Sky discount is due to run out next month, so will go back up to full price for the remainder of the 18 month contract. Time for my annual threaten to leave call to Sky!

Yep done mine last month.
    I wonder what percentage of people just carry on paying full whack though.
  • Options
    My 12 month Virgin discount is due to run out this month. I've got a a feeling they won't yield this time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:

Moved house a couple weeks back and sky engineer came to fit the dish , nice easy job for him as the house is pre wired with a twin sky socket in the front room. Alarm bells started to ring when he asked what the socket was for and asked if I had the dish. After fitting the dish (took forever) he came inside (by now it was dark) and told me he couldn't clip the small amount of cable from the dish to the soffit as he couldn't find his hammer! Not a problem as being a spark I have many so I lent him one.

Anyway all was finished and off he went but a couple of times the signal has died lately , didn't think much of it until I went outside a couple of days ago and saw the dish.

I've now had to kick off at sky and told them they will be geting someone round to sort on Saturday and not the original clown and I want the instal fee of £35 returned .Unbelievably at first they weren't going to refund it but have agreed to now . If my boss saw me do something that bad I'd be in all sorts of shit .

I would have slapped him for that, out of the more challenging stuff they have to do, bolting a dish to a wall and ensuring you have drilled a deep enough hole for the bolts and drove them home isn't difficult. In fact the longer I looked at it the angrier I'm getting. The lazy fucking halfwit is a disgrace to the engineering profession

Thing is, I guarantee by hisnlogic he has done that because his corner cutting head is telling him that's a win. His colleagues will now have him marked as a wanker if they haven't already, me and you both have and what has he achieved? This aggravates me because this div won't be putting this right, someone else will. Watch them mate, they will try and get him back on this job because they are measured on their come backs more than anything else nowadays and rightly so
  • Options

My 12 month Virgin discount is due to run out this month. I've got a a feeling they won't yield this time.

BBC reporting tonight that ITV may pull out of Virgin Media this weekend. Dump them and go to Sky!
  • Options
    Carter said:

buckshee said:

I would have slapped him for that, out of the more challenging stuff they have to do, bolting a dish to a wall and ensuring you have drilled a deep enough hole for the bolts and drove them home isn't difficult. In fact the longer I looked at it the angrier I'm getting. The lazy fucking halfwit is a disgrace to the engineering profession

Thing is, I guarantee by hisnlogic he has done that because his corner cutting head is telling him that's a win. His colleagues will now have him marked as a wanker if they haven't already, me and you both have and what has he achieved? This aggravates me because this div won't be putting this right, someone else will. Watch them mate, they will try and get him back on this job because they are measured on their come backs more than anything else nowadays and rightly so
    You're right mate, his colleague came and sorted it and was astounded at how bad it was.
  • Options
    Any good new customer deals out there at the moment? I'm leaving Sky. Not bothered about Sports, they haven't got anything anymore anyway and I pay for NFL gamepass, which is all I care about. The wife loves Sky Atlantic but I can always get that via Now TV whenever we want to watch it.
  • Options
    NOW TV currently have a deal to get Sky Sports for £179 for 10 months, which sounds a great deal to me.

I've never had Sky Sports, but will take this deal, as it works out under £18 per month, where as I'm sure the standard monthly price is over £30.

You need a NOW TV stick or similar of course.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Had my regular battle with Sky this morning.  From my original post,  I managed to get my bill down to £36 for 18 months for the basic package & internet, but that's now run out & the bill has crept back up to £54.

Phoned sky this morning & the best they can drop it to is £50, which I still think is too much for what we're getting so I've cancelled sky & will await a better offer from them.

It frustrates me that we have to go through this every 18 months.  It's such a ballache! 
  • Options
    We don't HAVE to go through it every 18 months.......
  • Options
    Email yesterday telling me my subscription is going up £10/month. Bastards.
    Trouble is that what they are selling is too good to just ditch it. 
  • Options
    Had my regular battle with Sky this morning.  From my original post,  I managed to get my bill down to £36 for 18 months for the basic package & internet, but that's now run out & the bill has crept back up to £54.

Phoned sky this morning & the best they can drop it to is £50, which I still think is too much for what we're getting so I've cancelled sky & will await a better offer from them.

It frustrates me that we have to go through this every 18 months.  It's such a ballache! 
    I feel the exact same, they should just offer the 50/60% off straight away. The amount of people that don’t barter beyond the first offer must pay for itself when others get the bigger discounts. 
  • Options
    Ultimatum said:

I feel the exact same, they should just offer the 50/60% off straight away. The amount of people that don’t barter beyond the first offer must pay for itself when others get the bigger discounts. 
    Not to mention all those customers not even on a discount, plenty of them out there.