Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lack of forwards

Comments

• Options

without getting a decent striker in to try and get out of this league you have to wonder why bother tying Holmes and Pearce down to new, improved contracts?

They did the same with JBG and Cousins...
  • Options
    Matty Taylor would have been a good signing indeed! Still hoping for Grigg but will have to loosen the purse strings!
  • Options
    Puzzled why Matty Taylor would be available when they only signed him in January, surely he hasn't been that much of a disaster already?

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/taylor-out-of-season-opener/

More to the point, is he the new Kashi?
    Matty Taylor will miss City’s season opener with Barnsley due to his ongoing groin problem.
    The striker has missed all of pre-season with the groin complaint, which has now required two injections to fix.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    It'll be down to attacking midfielders and wingers like Holmes, Fosu and Marshall to be getting the goals behind a target man like Magennis who hopefully chips in with a few too. With such few goals we are going to have to defend well.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

We have good strikers on our books but they are both playing for other clubs. It's ridiculous really.

This..
  • Options

His words, of which are more often than not just drivel to appease those who are interested, scream to me - loanee.

Nothing has changed barring one thing, Katrien is keeping her beak out of the limelight.

The regime have done well with Robbo, the mans in a win win and knows how to pull wool over eyes. He'll go for a loan, but we'll pick up injuries this season and he'll have his excuse, an excuse of which is his own doing (by virtue of acceptance and not countering the owners for a real budget to afford players - of which he should have with our sales).

How does he counter the owner? Tell him to buy a good strike or he quits? He'd be out of a job the same day.
    It's the same with all lower league clubs. He has to work with what he is given unfortunately.
  • Options

"Young Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild made his league debut against Plymouth, coming off the bench as a late substitute.

He impressed in pre-season and looks set to be another starlet from the Addicks’ academy.

Robinson admits Hackett-Fairchild might have to make the permanent step-up to the senior team with the club’s shortage of strikers.

He added: “He might have to [make the step-up]. He’s a really talented individual. He’s got great feet and tremendous awareness on where he is on the football pitch."

Flipping heck , do the other guys need a map or something to find a route to the goal?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

actually think that's a tad harsh. They have given new contracts to Pearce and Holmes and signed Marshall and Reeves. It has been a decent window. It's just the fact that they are going to leave us short yet again. It's just 1 player. All they need to do is take one risk on a decent striker and we could well be in this predicament again next year looking for a Champ striker :)

Pearce and Holmes were our players anyway - they aren't new. Marshall is injured and Reeves is recovering from an injury. They have shed players from the wage bill, including forwards Vetokele and Watt but will are still too short upfront to be competitive this season. I will say it again, Duchatelet is only interested in the money and being able to recover his losses. He doesn't want us to be promoted - all it does is increase his operating losses. I don't buy the argument that the club is materially more valuable just because you get promoted and become the whipping boys in the Championship - that's what happens without considerable investment that he won't make. It's Groundhog Day until he leaves.

Igor was out on loan last season aswell, as was Ceballos, so no further shifts have gone on there. Yes they were our players, but are you telling me that Holmes' new deal wasn't lucrative, it must have been to convince him to stay.

My point was that this summer has not been bad at all. I would even say it's been very good. We haven't lost a player that I was particularly bothered about, and we have made some good signings.

Perhaps you are right and RD wants us to stay in League 1. I want the bloke gone as much as anyone else, but it is puzzling. You say he wants to recover his losses, but is not something which is possible in our current position.

Nobody is asking him to spend 2/3 mil on a striker, just stretching the budget a little. I don't buy he wants us in League 1, he can't put up a Championship asking price for the club and keep us in the league below.

I think the truth is he wants to spend as little as possible and sell youngsters in order to balance the books. I think most League 1 clubs do the same. But I still think he would prefer us to get promoted than not this season.
  • Options

actually think that's a tad harsh. They have given new contracts to Pearce and Holmes and signed Marshall and Reeves. It has been a decent window. It's just the fact that they are going to leave us short yet again. It's just 1 player. All they need to do is take one risk on a decent striker and we could well be in this predicament again next year looking for a Champ striker :)
    Pearce and Holmes were our players anyway - they aren't new. Marshall is injured and Reeves is recovering from an injury. They have shed players from the wage bill, including forwards Vetokele and Watt but will are still too short upfront to be competitive this season. I will say it again, Duchatelet is only interested in the money and being able to recover his losses. He doesn't want us to be promoted - all it does is increase his operating losses. I don't buy the argument that the club is materially more valuable just because you get promoted and become the whipping boys in the Championship - that's what happens without considerable investment that he won't make. It's Groundhog Day until he leaves.

Igor was out on loan last season aswell, as was Ceballos, so no further shifts have gone on there. Yes they were our players, but are you telling me that Holmes' new deal wasn't lucrative, it must have been to convince him to stay.

My point was that this summer has not been bad at all. I would even say it's been very good. We haven't lost a player that I was particularly bothered about, and we have made some good signings.

Perhaps you are right and RD wants us to stay in League 1. I want the bloke gone as much as anyone else, but it is puzzling. You say he wants to recover his losses, but is not something which is possible in our current position.

Nobody is asking him to spend 2/3 mil on a striker, just stretching the budget a little. I don't buy he wants us in League 1, he can't put up a Championship asking price for the club and keep us in the league below.

I think the truth is he wants to spend as little as possible and sell youngsters in order to balance the books. I think most League 1 clubs do the same. But I still think he would prefer us to get promoted than not this season.

• Options
    edited August 2017

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Josh Magennis - battles really well, but not a goalscorer. Most he has ever scored in a season is 12.
    and Novak's goals to games is about 0.2.
    We wont score enough goals to go up unless we bring someone in. We had a stronger strike force this time last year
    Must be someone out of favour in the championship that we can get on loan? Or a free agent floating about? if only to put pressure on them two

I think Matty Taylor could have been the answer. Only hope is that Bristol City sign someone and allow him to leave on a free transfer and that his salary expectations are on a par with what the average 8 year old gets as his weekly pocket money..
    Corrected.
    Goalkeeper - Amos not looked great, Phillips slated in pre-season
    Centre-backs - Fine
    Left and right back - no cover other playing someone out of position or chucking in an inexperienced youth-teamer
    Midfield - some strength in depth, only Kashi and Holmes would challenge for a place in our promotion winning side though
    Forwards - disaster. Couple of grafters but no predators, no 20 goal-a-season poachers.

It's miles off what we had last time we got promoted. They've had since February last season to plan who they wanted to get rid of and who they wanted to bring in. There is no justification for still having a deficient squad at this stage of the season.
    The full backs are decent though. When Page is back, we have cover at left-back and it seems two decent youngsters can do a job at right-back. I have mentioned before we could do some full back cover but I don't think its urgent.

In midfield, Fosu has looked promising and Marshall will hopefully not be out for too long. KAG's been promising all summer and against Exeter. Might not be that strong now, but the loss of Marshall was a big one.

I don't agree only Holmes and Kashi are good enough to win promotion. I don't think you would find a better midfield in this league than Kashi, JFC, Reeves, Holmes and Marshall. Aribo, Fosu and Clarke is very good cover.

I agree with the keepers. I think Martin and Amos are good enough at this level if he signs and Phillips gets loan time.

The striker is a must, we all agree on that.

I stand by the fact that a decent striker is all that COULD be between us and promotion. We have to remember we are in League 1, you don't need 20 quality players to get out of it. As others have said before, last time we won the league we had a quality team but the squad itself wasn't that strong IMO.
    Not so sure. I've a feeling the standard in League One rises the more 'megastars' are brought in from abroad to bolster prem sides.
    It's a trickle down effect.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

"It's not my fault"

Sorry, Robinson - no. You're the manager now. Everything is your fault. That's the job, no excuses, just fix this mess or fnck off.

Am I being whooshed?

Why is it Robinson's fault that the can't get a striker? I am absolutely certain given the correct support and budget he would sign someone. He grates on me massively but it's not his fault our transfer budget has supposedly been used to subsidise wages and transfers to other network clubs.

Different puppet same master in my eyes.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Josh Magennis - battles really well, but not a goalscorer. Most he has ever scored in a season is 12.
    We wont score enough goals to go up unless we bring someone in. We had a stronger strike force this time last year
    Must be someone out of favour in the championship that we can get on loan? Or a free agent floating about? if only to put pressure on them two

I think Matty Taylor could have been the answer. Only hope is that Bristol City sign someone and allow him to leave on a free transfer and that his salary expectations are on a par with what the average 8 year old gets as his weekly pocket money..
    Corrected.
    Centre-backs - Fine
    Left and right back - no cover other playing someone out of position or chucking in an inexperienced youth-teamer
    Midfield - some strength in depth, only Kashi and Holmes would challenge for a place in our promotion winning side though
    Forwards - disaster. Couple of grafters but no predators, no 20 goal-a-season poachers.

It's miles off what we had last time we got promoted. They've had since February last season to plan who they wanted to get rid of and who they wanted to bring in. There is no justification for still having a deficient squad at this stage of the season.
    The full backs are decent though. When Page is back, we have cover at left-back and it seems two decent youngsters can do a job at right-back. I have mentioned before we could do some full back cover but I don't think its urgent.

In midfield, Fosu has looked promising and Marshall will hopefully not be out for too long. KAG's been promising all summer and against Exeter. Might not be that strong now, but the loss of Marshall was a big one.

I don't agree only Holmes and Kashi are good enough to win promotion. I don't think you would find a better midfield in this league than Kashi, JFC, Reeves, Holmes and Marshall. Aribo, Fosu and Clarke is very good cover.

I agree with the keepers. I think Martin and Amos are good enough at this level if he signs and Phillips gets loan time.

I stand by the fact that a decent striker is all that COULD be between us and promotion. We have to remember we are in League 1, you don't need 20 quality players to get out of it. As others have said before, last time we won the league we had a quality team but the squad itself wasn't that strong IMO.
    Not all the players were incredible but we did have some quality players at the time:

Jacko
    BWP
    Morrison
    Solly
    Matt Taylor
    Hollands
    Kermorgant
    Ben Hamer
    Dale Stephens
  • Options

Missed It said:

"It's not my fault"

Sorry, Robinson - no. You're the manager now. Everything is your fault. That's the job, no excuses, just fix this mess or fnck off.

Am I being whooshed?

Why is it Robinson's fault that the can't get a striker? I am absolutely certain given the correct support and budget he would sign someone. He grates on me massively but it's not his fault our transfer budget has supposedly been used to subsidise wages and transfers to other network clubs.

Different puppet same master in my eyes.
    The manager of a football club can't whine that it's not his fault. He knew what Charlton's set up was like when he joined and if he didn't - he certainly does now. It just smells of a bloke who knows he hasn't got enough to sort this out and is getting his excuses in early.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Sorry I think I'm a bit confused, is this the type of stuff we don't want on the transfer thread? Is it because this is more focused on evaluating our current squad versus transfer rumors (which are thin on the ground at the moment) and the impact of the potential players coming in? Or do we just want to avoid anything not rumor related on the rumors thread?

well this is a discussion about needing a new striker, which is not a rumour, it is a fact.
    Okay, don't think anyone is arguing that....

We're basically having the same conversation in two threads now.
    Great! An extra opportunity for you to write a few paragraphs then.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Corrected.
    Centre-backs - Fine

Not all the players were incredible but we did have some quality players at the time:

Jacko
    BWP
    Morrison
    Solly
    Matt Taylor
    Hollands
    Kermorgant
    Ben Hamer
    Dale Stephens
    yeah completely agree, which is why I said we had a quality team but the squad itself wasn't that great. I would stand by that. We were lucky that BWP stayed injury free and we had a lack of width. But the team was great and Powell got the best out of players like Taylor, Pritchard and Hollands whose careers peaked that season.
  • Options

"Young Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild made his league debut against Plymouth, coming off the bench as a late substitute.

He impressed in pre-season and looks set to be another starlet from the Addicks’ academy.

Robinson admits Hackett-Fairchild might have to make the permanent step-up to the senior team with the club’s shortage of strikers.

He added: “He might have to [make the step-up]. He’s a really talented individual. He’s got great feet and tremendous awareness on where he is on the football pitch."

What type of player is he? Is he a loan striker, poacher or spin and run at pace?
    Not a loan, he's one of our own ; - )

Imagine a young Darren Bent or Terry Henry and you'll get the idea.

Still raw and shouldn't expect too much too soon but he is the real deal.

only a few months ago people on here were saying he was nothing special, offered little, wouldn't make it but already he's knocking on the door of the first team.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeco
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

Corrected.
    Centre-backs - Fine

Good post @cafcfan1990. It's a game of opinions, will be another month or so before we get a proper idea of where we might end up. This division is a lot weaker than the one we got promoted from last time round, so that should mean that we can challenge for promotion even with a weaker team than last time around.

Good on you for retaining some optimism. I've always been a "glass half empty" bloke, but after 3 and a half years of these Belgian numpties, I'm now more like "the glass is broken and I've just trodden on a shard".
    I won't be optimistic until we sign the striker, so will probably be tredding on some shards myself come early September.

I just think credit where it's due, we have built a strong squad. We have had such a lack of creativity and attacking midfield players over the last few years, that now we find ourselves in a position that 1/2 will be unlucky to be missing out. Defence looks reasonably strong although I think we will be reliant on Pearce and Da Silva playing the majority, if not all the games.

Keeper may be a concern but I think Amos can improve on his last couple of showings.

It will all go to waste if we don't get the striker to score the goals. I look at the 10 before the striker in the team and it's a top 6 (if not top 2) team. Not saying we will go up even if we do get the striker, but I am struggling to think of any other excuses why this team cannot be promoted apart from the fact we lack a goalscorer.
  • Options
    Chill everyone.

Magennis is a very good player at this level, Novak is better than most given him credit for and KAG is ready to go.

The goals will come from across the front four and I still expect another striker to come in.

Plus there is Reeeco.

Panic when the window closes. You can't blame Robinson or Meire or Duchatelet.
  • Options
    The trouble with parody is that it sometimes comes true :P
  • Options

Matty Taylor would have been a good signing indeed! Still hoping for Grigg but will have to loosen the purse strings!

I think that Cook will be keen to keep Grigg at Wigan .. he is a valuable squad member as Wigan go once more for promotion .. also, Cook must see us as a threat this season and won't be too keen on selling a very decent striker to a rival club
  • Options

I think that Cook will be keen to keep Grigg at Wigan .. he is a valuable squad member as Wigan go once more for promotion .. also, Cook must see us as a threat this season and won't be too keen on selling a very decent striker to a rival club
    especially as they have now sold Bogle
  • Options

We have good strikers on our books but they are both playing for other clubs. It's ridiculous really.

Igor clearly doesn't want to play in England and if I'm not mistaken is injured again already!

Ajose is a one season wonder. He had the one good season at Swindon and off the back of that we brought him. He was crap before that and has been crap since. He can't even get into Bury's team!!

Please enlighten me as to how these two are good strikers? One always injured the other just not good enough!
  • Options

have they ? .. he was a big hit @ Grimsby but the higher division proved too much .. thanks for the info
  • Options
    For what its worth I don't think we have a player on the books who can play the lone striker role and score enough goals. If KR was to play 442 then I think we have a good team
  • Options

For what its worth I don't think we have a player on the books who can play the lone striker role and score enough goals. If KR was to play 442 then I think we have a good team

That would be even worse as attacking midfield is where we have our best options and we only have 1 decent striker. We would need a goalscorer however many we put there. I think Billy Clarke is going to end up playing up front this season.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

have they ? .. he was a big hit @ Grimsby but the higher division proved too much .. thanks for the info
    Cardiff, 1m - so an even higher division now