Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lack of forwards

Comments

• Options

Matty Taylor would have been a good signing indeed! Still hoping for Grigg but will have to loosen the purse strings!

I think that Cook will be keen to keep Grigg at Wigan .. he is a valuable squad member as Wigan go once more for promotion .. also, Cook must see us as a threat this season and won't be too keen on selling a very decent striker to a rival club
    especially as they have now sold Bogle
    have they ? .. he was a big hit @ Grimsby but the higher division proved too much .. thanks for the info
    Cardiff, 1m - so an even higher division now

just saw that .. if anyone can get him going it'll be Warnock .. Bogle is a bit raw, a bit cocksure but there is a good player in there ready to come out
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Josh Magennis - battles really well, but not a goalscorer. Most he has ever scored in a season is 12.
    and Novak's goals to games is about 0.2.
    We wont score enough goals to go up unless we bring someone in. We had a stronger strike force this time last year
    Must be someone out of favour in the championship that we can get on loan? Or a free agent floating about? if only to put pressure on them two

I think Matty Taylor could have been the answer. Only hope is that Bristol City sign someone and allow him to leave on a free transfer and that his salary expectations are on a par with what the average 8 year old gets as his weekly pocket money..
    Corrected.
    I see you're warming up nicely for a scathing pre match prediction - which I like
  • Options

"Young Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild made his league debut against Plymouth, coming off the bench as a late substitute.

He impressed in pre-season and looks set to be another starlet from the Addicks’ academy.

Robinson admits Hackett-Fairchild might have to make the permanent step-up to the senior team with the club’s shortage of strikers.

He added: “He might have to [make the step-up]. He’s a really talented individual. He’s got great feet and tremendous awareness on where he is on the football pitch."

What type of player is he? Is he a loan striker, poacher or spin and run at pace?
    Not a loan, he's one of our own ; - )

Imagine a young Darren Bent or Terry Henry and you'll get the idea.

Still raw and shouldn't expect too much too soon but he is the real deal.

only a few months ago people on here were saying he was nothing special, offered little, wouldn't make it but already he's knocking on the door of the first team.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeco
    I would like to see you right henners, but you were bigging up Umerah as well this time last year. Do you think Hackett has more than Umerah from what you've seen?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    cabbles said:

"Young Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild made his league debut against Plymouth, coming off the bench as a late substitute.

He impressed in pre-season and looks set to be another starlet from the Addicks’ academy.

Robinson admits Hackett-Fairchild might have to make the permanent step-up to the senior team with the club’s shortage of strikers.

He added: “He might have to [make the step-up]. He’s a really talented individual. He’s got great feet and tremendous awareness on where he is on the football pitch."

What type of player is he? Is he a loan striker, poacher or spin and run at pace?

only a few months ago people on here were saying he was nothing special, offered little, wouldn't make it but already he's knocking on the door of the first team.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeco
    I would like to see you right henners, but you were bigging up Umerah as well this time last year. Do you think Hackett has more than Umerah from what you've seen?
    Whilst on the comparison theme has he got the potential to be better than Waggy? :wink:
  • Options

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeco
    I can't even the remember the name of the player you said this about last, was it Ansah?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    He raved about Ansah, said he was the next big thing.

Turns out he wasn't the Ansah and instead it seems Ben is on some kind of Valley Gold commission to build up our players coming through the youth set up :lol:

RCF seems to have something for sure... Maybe it's just wind?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

Josh Magennis - battles really well, but not a goalscorer. Most he has ever scored in a season is 12.
    and Novak's goals to games is about 0.2.
    We wont score enough goals to go up unless we bring someone in. We had a stronger strike force this time last year
    Must be someone out of favour in the championship that we can get on loan? Or a free agent floating about? if only to put pressure on them two

I think Matty Taylor could have been the answer. Only hope is that Bristol City sign someone and allow him to leave on a free transfer and that his salary expectations are on a par with what the average 8 year old gets as his weekly pocket money..
    Corrected.
    I see you're warming up nicely for a scathing pre match prediction - which I like
    Too f%*king right. Doesn't take many of Karl Robinson's press conferences for me to be sweating fury out of every orifice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeco
    I rate Umerah but I was never bigging him up.
    Fumbluff said:

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeco
    I can't even the remember the name of the player you said this about last, was it Ansah?
    No, not me. Think you'll find that was @dickplumb Ansah was unlucky with injuries though
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

We have good strikers on our books but they are both playing for other clubs. It's ridiculous really.

Igor clearly doesn't want to play in England and if I'm not mistaken is injured again already!

Ajose is a one season wonder. He had the one good season at Swindon and off the back of that we brought him. He was crap before that and has been crap since. He can't even get into Bury's team!!

Please enlighten me as to how these two are good strikers? One always injured the other just not good enough!
    Bolded = not true. I'm lead to believe he wanted to stay but had little choice and was forced out. Not sure by whom however. His fitness has been fine since he recovered from our physio's forcing him back early only to break down again. I know it's the Belgian league but he has scored 9 in 17 for Stayen. Igor would be decent at this level.

Other than Magennis, Ajose is still better than anything else we have, that's the most comical part! Despite him being as crap as you say, he still hit double figures last season. 6 with us and 5 with Swindon whilst on loan. A bit better than Novak's 1 every 15 games record for us (so far 2 goals, 30 appearances).
    How many as sub. Goals per minute would be the best stat.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Essex_Al said:

We have good strikers on our books but they are both playing for other clubs. It's ridiculous really.

Igor clearly doesn't want to play in England and if I'm not mistaken is injured again already!

Ajose is a one season wonder. He had the one good season at Swindon and off the back of that we brought him. He was crap before that and has been crap since. He can't even get into Bury's team!!

Please enlighten me as to how these two are good strikers? One always injured the other just not good enough!
    Bolded = not true. I'm lead to believe he wanted to stay but had little choice and was forced out. Not sure by whom however. His fitness has been fine since he recovered from our physio's forcing him back early only to break down again. I know it's the Belgian league but he has scored 9 in 17 for Stayen. Igor would be decent at this level.

Other than Magennis, Ajose is still better than anything else we have, that's the most comical part! Despite him being as crap as you say, he still hit double figures last season. 6 with us and 5 with Swindon whilst on loan. A bit better than Novak's 1 every 15 games record for us (so far 2 goals, 30 appearances).
    How many as sub. Goals per minute would be the best stat.
    It seems he's had 14 starts and came on as sub 16 times. Transfermarkt website says he has played 1,537 minutes. So do the maths, it's still not very good. It's a goal roughly every 8.5 full games.
  • Options
    We had 7 in 03/04 - our most successful in 70 years?

Lisbie, Bartlett, Johansson, Di Canio, Euell, Cole, Svensson.

More affluent times, sure, but I can't recall anyone suggesting that it was far too many . The fact that we only have 2 strikers will cost us this year; not sure either of them are that great either
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

We had 7 in 03/04 - our most successful in 70 years?

Lisbie, Bartlett, Johansson, Di Canio, Euell, Cole, Svensson.

More affluent times, sure, but I can't recall anyone suggesting that it was far too many . The fact that we only have 2 strikers will cost us this year; not sure either of them are that great either

Coupled with a manager who was trusted to run the club from top to bottom.
  • Options
    Exactly, he might be a successful businessman but he knows 4/5ths of 5/8ths of eff all about football and that's being generous.
  • Options

Missed It said:

"It's not my fault"

Sorry, Robinson - no. You're the manager now. Everything is your fault. That's the job, no excuses, just fix this mess or fnck off.

Am I being whooshed?

Why is it Robinson's fault that the can't get a striker? I am absolutely certain given the correct support and budget he would sign someone. He grates on me massively but it's not his fault our transfer budget has supposedly been used to subsidise wages and transfers to other network clubs.

Different puppet same master in my eyes.
    I like Robinson, yes he talks to much but all in all he's shown a bit of passion. In my opinion "It's not my fault" comment is not one of his better comments, both Powell and Dyer had gone public with what went on at this club and was generally declining into a laughing stock in the football world and that was before the club went through the almost funny period. He said he spoke to football people before and after taking the job, did it not enter his head to speak to either of them? Maybe he did, maybe was well aware but his circumstances dictated that he had to take the job. Well if that's the case, then it is his fault because he knew what was getting into when he signed his contract. If he didn't speak to them, then he deserves more criticism than he's getting. Stop making excuses, win football matches or leave if your unhappy at what you are being given to do your job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Comms is a big part of the manager's job. But with fans as 'on edge' (neurotic) as ours it must be frustrating for KR to not be able to reveal what's going on behind the scenes.
  • Options
    He's learnt that the budget for players just isn't there, despite the numerous comments previously about the fantastic budget, we've spent almost nothing and when talking about a £1m player he says it 'won't be us'. To me it's clear that the goal posts have shifted, Roland would bank roll a player costing £1m when it came from his own scouts, now, we are bargain basement or freebies. Based on that KR has done well considering.

But in two weeks we'll see again an inadequate squad depth, mid table if we are lucky, play off's would be a miracle. In Ohh Ah's usual percentages to me it's top 2 2%, play off's 5%, 7-12 40% 13-20 45%, 21-24 8%.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Redrobo said:
    Wiki says £800k, some may be add-ons and they have a player unlikely to kick a ball for them so must take a hit. They got half a season from him. Can't imagine taking a guy's passport would sit well with FIFA. Karl's £300k budget seems reasonable. Doubt Killy could raise it.
  • Options

Redrobo said:
    Wiki says £800k, some may be add-ons and they have a player unlikely to kick a ball for them so must take a hit. They got half a season from him. Can't imagine taking a guy's passport would sit well with FIFA. Karl's £300k budget seems reasonable. Doubt Killy could raise it.
    I don't think FIFA would want to get involved in any Football Club not allowing a player the basic right of religion as far too hot to handle.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:
    I don't think FIFA would want to get involved in any Football Club not allowing a player the basic right of religion as far too hot to handle.
    Doubt religion comes into it. Many Africans are Muslims and a move to an Islamic country suggests Souly likely that faith. FIFA will be addressing issue of his registration while his club want recompense for his fee following his refusal to play. The spectre of CAS and upcoming World Cup in middle east will lead to a low profile compromise.
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

Well, Igor played one league game, got a knock and is now out for 6 weeks, so that part is true.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Essex_Al said:

Well, Igor played one league game, got a knock and is now out for 6 weeks, so that part is true.
    Still has 9 in 18 at a level probably superior to ours. Their 3G pitches don't help.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

It's been brewing all summer, and isn't remotely surprising. He came out with the following a month ago:

"I'll be honest with you, I made some big mistakes at MK Dons where I was so eager to bring players in so soon," admitted Robinson. "I did it one year and I didn't bring in the type of player that aided the success of the club. And I learned from that very early on. Sometimes going with what you've got and youth players are sometimes better than who you can bring in immediately."

It's all been about gently lowering our expectations in the hope that we don't make too much of a fuss when - despite all the lessons they've supposedly learned - we yet again attempt to make it through the season with a threadbare squad.

He's pathetic. It gradually becomes more and more apparent that he's taken on the job on the understanding that he won't say anything critical of Katrien and Roland.

"The fans have got their team back" - have they f*%k. Belgians out, Robinson out.

No time for Robinson.

When at The Valley last season with Milton Keynes he was quoted as saying that Charlton are "a basket case of a club", righto I agree with that. He then goes and manages us!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

His words, of which are more often than not just drivel to appease those who are interested, scream to me - loanee.

Nothing has changed barring one thing, Katrien is keeping her beak out of the limelight.

The regime have done well with Robbo, the mans in a win win and knows how to pull wool over eyes. He'll go for a loan, but we'll pick up injuries this season and he'll have his excuse, an excuse of which is his own doing (by virtue of acceptance and not countering the owners for a real budget to afford players - of which he should have with our sales).

How does he counter the owner? Tell him to buy a good strike or he quits? He'd be out of a job the same day.
    It's the same with all lower league clubs. He has to work with what he is given unfortunately.
    But perhaps he should be more careful when he opens his trap.

At this level I do not think he is a bad manager, unfortunately every manager so far has been frustrated/f***** over by the Belgians. Nothing will change until they go.

Yet people still get optimistic at times, I do not understand why.