Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lack of forwards

124»

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

"Young Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild made his league debut against Plymouth, coming off the bench as a late substitute.

He impressed in pre-season and looks set to be another starlet from the Addicks’ academy.

Robinson admits Hackett-Fairchild might have to make the permanent step-up to the senior team with the club’s shortage of strikers.

He added: “He might have to [make the step-up]. He’s a really talented individual. He’s got great feet and tremendous awareness on where he is on the football pitch."

What type of player is he? Is he a loan striker, poacher or spin and run at pace?
    Not a loan, he's one of our own ; - )

Imagine a young Darren Bent or Terry Henry and you'll get the idea.

Still raw and shouldn't expect too much too soon but he is the real deal.

only a few months ago people on here were saying he was nothing special, offered little, wouldn't make it but already he's knocking on the door of the first team.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeco
    I would like to see you right henners, but you were bigging up Umerah as well this time last year. Do you think Hackett has more than Umerah from what you've seen?
    Whilst on the comparison theme has he got the potential to be better than Waggy? :wink:
    What's he doing nowadays?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Exactly, he might be a successful businessman but he knows 4/5ths of 5/8ths of eff all about football and that's being generous.

But still knows more than the squirrel.
  • Options
    After what I thought was a relatively good summer of recruitment (i.e. Marshall, Clarke, Reeves) with the expectation of at least 2-3 more to come, plus succeeding in extending the Pearce and Holmes contracts, plus opening day result against Bristol Rovers, I had been thinking of going to this Saturday's match, i.e. perhaps they had learned from their mistakes, perhaps they intended to have a real good go at promotion. However, in the words of the song, I won't get fooled again. It's not just because of one bad result. it's just it is all so predictable.
  • Options

without getting a decent striker in to try and get out of this league you have to wonder why bother tying Holmes and Pearce down to new, improved contracts?

To get more, when they go.
    Cf

"Young Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild made his league debut against Plymouth, coming off the bench as a late substitute.

He impressed in pre-season and looks set to be another starlet from the Addicks’ academy.

Robinson admits Hackett-Fairchild might have to make the permanent step-up to the senior team with the club’s shortage of strikers.

He added: “He might have to [make the step-up]. He’s a really talented individual. He’s got great feet and tremendous awareness on where he is on the football pitch."

Flipping heck , do the other guys need a map or something to find a route to the goal?
    I tho k you'd find in the modern world it's a Tom Tom he is after
  • Options
    edited August 2017

JamesSeed said:

His words, of which are more often than not just drivel to appease those who are interested, scream to me - loanee.

Nothing has changed barring one thing, Katrien is keeping her beak out of the limelight.

The regime have done well with Robbo, the mans in a win win and knows how to pull wool over eyes. He'll go for a loan, but we'll pick up injuries this season and he'll have his excuse, an excuse of which is his own doing (by virtue of acceptance and not countering the owners for a real budget to afford players - of which he should have with our sales).

How does he counter the owner? Tell him to buy a good strike or he quits? He'd be out of a job the same day.
    It's the same with all lower league clubs. He has to work with what he is given unfortunately.
    But perhaps he should be more careful when he opens his trap.

At this level I do not think he is a bad manager, unfortunately every manager so far has been frustrated/f***** over by the Belgians. Nothing will change until they go.

Yet people still get optimistic at times, I do not understand why.
    Human nature. Behind every massive black cloud there's a silver lining for some, I guess me included.
    As someone pointed out, I'm new here. I'll probably learn in time.
  • Options

After what I thought was a relatively good summer of recruitment (i.e. Marshall, Clarke, Reeves) with the expectation of at least 2-3 more to come, plus succeeding in extending the Pearce and Holmes contracts, plus opening day result against Bristol Rovers, I had been thinking of going to this Saturday's match, i.e. perhaps they had learned from their mistakes, perhaps they intended to have a real good go at promotion. However, in the words of the song, I won't get fooled again. It's not just because of one bad result. it's just it is all so predictable.

Go to the match anyway.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Just listening to talkShite. Durham and Gough lamenting the lack of striker options available at a host of Championship clubs. Not just us it seems.
  • Options
    Lets just hope Katrien doesn't think all is rosy and we don't need another forward.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Go to the match anyway.
    Decided against it, perhaps more fool me. Am gearing up (literally) to walk the Camino Frances, 800 Kms across Northern Spain, with a group of friends and relatives starting in 2 weeks. By the time I get back in mid-October hopefully there will have been a few more results like today's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree. Must admit I am fighting my instincts at the moment. Concerned if I go to a game I will get hooked again. The fact I look at this forum >10 times a day in no way shape or form means I am addicted.
  • Options

Chill everyone.

Magennis is a very good player at this level, Novak is better than most given him credit for and KAG is ready to go.

The goals will come from across the front four and I still expect another striker to come in.

Plus there is Reeeco.

Panic when the window closes. You can't blame Robinson or Meire or Duchatelet.

Told you
  • Options
    JFC wasn't in the front four...
  • Options
    Scoham said:

JFC wasn't in the front four...

He was when he scored :wink:
  • Options

Chill everyone.

Magennis is a very good player at this level, Novak is better than most given him credit for and KAG is ready to go.

The goals will come from across the front four and I still expect another striker to come in.

Plus there is Reeeco.

Panic when the window closes. You can't blame Robinson or Meire or Duchatelet.

Told you
    Genius.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    another striker is not going to fit into Robinson's strict 4 2 3 1 as a starter, so there's no point spending lots on a bench warmer who'll get cheesed off through lack of playing time and opportunity.
    Umerah is talented enough to fill in for (say) Magennis if the latter misses a game or three through injury/suspension .. IF (say) Magennis is ever a long term injury AND the 'window' is open, then we will need another striker ..
    IF we are in a good promotion promising position, then the transfer money should be forthcoming and we will be very attractive to any potential transfer target, otherwise we will be dependant on 'home produced' talent .. there is little point in spending a fortune on the 'nursery' if the 'home grown flowers' never get a chance to bloom

EDIT .. In writing this I'm assuming that the generally underperforming Novak has left .. IF he stays, he would be a suitable stand in for (say) Magennis .. in his cameo v Brovers, he showed (perhaps over) commitment and urgency that has long been missing from his game
  • Options
    The problem with Robbos strict formation is it will soon be rumbled by the rest of the division. We need another forward who can offer something different and not be so predictable.
  • Options

The problem with Robbos strict formation is it will soon be rumbled by the rest of the division. We need another forward who can offer something different and not be so predictable.

You're right there. Our main problem is Robbo has no plan B. Lack of strikers means he doesn't have to think of one.
  • Options

Agree we need a striker but we played 4-4-2 all season in 11/12. If we put out a stronger team than most in the division we should win games whether we play 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 or something else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Agree we need a striker but we played 4-4-2 all season in 11/12. If we put out a stronger team than most in the division we should win games whether we play 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 or something else.
    On yesterdays performance we are capable of beating most in the division, home and away. My concern is teams will be ready and know what to expect from us and with our refound `fighting' spirit we are going to pick up more injuries and bookings.
  • Options
    No doubt more teams will sit back against us and we'll have to find ways to break them down. That would happen whatever formation we play.

It would be good to know we have another system we can play but switch Clarke for an out and out striker to play 4-4-2 for example and it's not that different from 4-2-3-1.
  • Options
    just saw on twitter a guy that seems to have met robinson a few times

1.2 million for will grigg turned down i do feel if we did spend that money then that would be our spend for the summer done and would expect a couple to be offloaded.
  • Options
    I wonder if we could get James Hanson on loan fron Blades? Not on bench yesterday.
  • Options
    Anyone else known a season where we are so short of senior strikers at the club?

Crazy way to carry on, when we had Igor, Novak, Watt, Ajose, Umerah and Hanlan plus Magennis at the start of pre season, then end with just one plus Dodoo by the end of August.

Just laughable how this could have occurred, when every other bit of business (In's plus Holmes, Kashi, Konsa still here) in other positions has been very good for promotion to be achieved.

It's bad enough that potentially we could miss Josh for 3 League games cause of international call Up's, without thinking about the potential of any sort of injuries.

• Options
    Can't believe it no competition for josh he knows he'll start every week. And probably have to play when injured. You can't say Roland's policy to make him play the youth because they've all gone out on loan too. They learned from there mistakes again how much wages have they saved. Got to bring in a free sgent surely probably be Johnson again though.
  • Options
    They ruined Igor in the same way.
  • Options

Can't believe it no competition for josh he knows he'll start every week. And probably have to play when injured. You can't say Roland's policy to make him play the youth because they've all gone out on loan too. They learned from there mistakes again how much wages have they saved. Got to bring in a free sgent surely probably be Johnson again though.

Wasn't that exactly what happened at Plymouth away when Josh looked less than completely fully mobile?
    He ended up an inch short of a good connection with the ball for the equaliser in the second half - had he been fully fit then who knows..................?
  • Options
    This all down to the budget. Roland, in his sexist and patronising way, said women are much better at handling budgets and proceeded to let Daisy screw Charlton's budget into a smoking, red inked crater. The only way to get out of the mess of their own making is to get players off the wageroll, regardless of the first team requirements. We have no forwards because Daisy can't add up and our multi-millionaire owner won't give his pet any more money to waste.

Good luck Josh. You're going to need it as you're not going to get any help.