Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v West Indies 2017

Comments

• Options
    It just feels like a cheap win. I don't know. I don't like how rain-affected games favour the team batting second in almost every case. Maybe it needs tweaking
  • Options
    We needed 99 from 15 overs. We were favourite to win. DL works well.
  • Options
    As a spectator, just disappointing that the game didn't go to its natural conclusion, but England batted superbly in those last few overs
  • Options
    Leuth said:

It just feels like a cheap win. I don't know. I don't like how rain-affected games favour the team batting second in almost every case. Maybe it needs tweaking

On the other hand, England reaching the DLM total was never straightforward, as ever wicket falling makes the target a lot harder. If Mooen had got out just as the rain was starting, we would have lost
  • Options
    Leuth said:

i was there and what an enjoyable game ! it would have been just as cheap a win if windies had won that way ..its such a great shame for the game of cricket ...but the weather won and i am afraid thats cricket ..maybe if it was an old fashioned club game they could have retired to the bar and had a best of 3 rounds between samuels and stokes

(maybe i have hit upon something here)

• Options
    If Lewis had not been injured (fractured ankle), I do not think we would have been anywhere near their total, why don't our football team get these lucky moments
  • Options
    Nah, they got a few sixes and fours even after he retired. I doubt they'd have gotten much more. I guess I feel less cheap about the win considering it involved Hero Moeen blasting them everywhere again
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Leuth said:

The only way it benefitted us was that the "par" score was brightly lit on the scoreboard so it was there for all to see. Not that it helped the Windies as their captain didn't bring the field in for the last ball of the penultimate over so we could get an easy 2 runs.

Also Ali & Butler still had to score around 40 runs in 3 overs to get past the "par" score - could easily had been out and thus making the "par" score even higher.

• Options

Leuth said:

The only way it benefitted us was that the "par" score was brightly lit on the scoreboard so it was there for all to see. Not that it helped the Windies as their captain didn't bring the field in for the last ball of the penultimate over so we could get an easy 2 runs.

Also Ali & Butler still had to score around 40 runs in 3 overs to get past the "par" score - could easily had been out and thus making the "par" score even higher.

Needing to get a really testing DLM score actually made the last 15 minutes really exciting, it was a run chase within a run chase, with England really going for it and the Windies trying to slow play down, with both teams getting weather reports to let them know how long there was before the rain arrived!
  • Options

Leuth said:

Needing to get a really testing DLM score actually made the last 15 minutes really exciting, it was a run chase within a run chase, with England really going for it and the Windies trying to slow play down, with both teams getting weather reports to let them know how long there was before the rain arrived!
    That and the DL required score goes up with each wicket taken by the fielding side, plus the algorithm is constantly updated with the results of completed matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curran with three dreadful balls in a row to get Hope going. Isn't he meant to be good?
  • Options
    Rashid with another similarly rubbish ball, Hope has 4 fours in 4 balls after 70-odd without
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Curran with three dreadful balls in a row to get Hope going. Isn't he meant to be good?

He got Gayle out
  • Options
    And just bowled a maiden
  • Options
    Jake Ball, discuss ;)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Jake Ball, discuss ;)

I'll go first. Utter garbage who will be mauled by the Aussies.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Jake Ball, discuss ;)

If Wood is bowling well for the lions, he'll be picked ahead of Ball

Maybe Jake Ball is a good drinks waiter?
  • Options
    If stokes doesn't go we will have to find another quick bowlers as back up for Anderson and Broad.
    If not Ball who else?
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Leuth said:

Jake Ball, discuss ;)

I'll go first. Utter garbage who will be mauled by the Aussies.
    this .. how ever did he get selected ? .. family influence ? .. though that is a bit remote
  • Options
    Surely Roy was bat to pad. Why no review?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    this game is so late in the season, it's almost a warm up for The Ashes!
  • Options
    Cricket in England really is all over for the year.

...except, I have a game tomorrow. Really not sure how or why
  • Options
    If everyone was available, who would you leave out from our batting? Bairstow, Hales and Roy all deserve to open...
  • Options
    Roy
    Bairstow
    Hales
    Root C
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Willey
  • Options
    iamdan said:

Roy
    Bairstow
    Hales
    Root C
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Willey

On current form, Morgan doesn't justify his place, though it would be harsh to dump him
    Wiley does look the weakest of the bowlers
  • Options

iamdan said:

Roy
    Bairstow
    Hales
    Root C
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Willey

On current form, Morgan doesn't justify his place, though it would be harsh to dump him
    Wiley does look the weakest of the bowlers

Jake Ball gone for 80+ 4 times in 12 games so jury out for me. Willey can bat too, although does look he can't at international level!

Chris Jordan? :)
  • Options

If everyone was available, who would you leave out from our batting? Bairstow, Hales and Roy all deserve to open...

Play all three and drop Morgan
  • Options
    I'd definitely play all 3 and drop Morgan, make Butler captain and if he's fit Wood instead of Ball
  • Options
    iamdan said:

Roy
    Bairstow
    Hales
    Root C
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Willey

Just swop Bairstow with Hales and i agree with this line-up.
  • Options
    What happened to Jade Dernbach? He was horribly expensive when he last played for England, does he have some extra nous now? He was good when I saw him in a T20 this season